It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk, Land of the Master Race

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodshipForAll
I despise the english blood running in my vains, Love the Scottish blood and proud of the Canadian I am.

Don't worry, the English and Scottish blood is one and the same - we're good at adopting new languages (celtic, english) but there's been very little dilution of our blood (or genes) in 12,000 years.

Originally posted by kerrichin
im british (quarter scotish, quarter welsh and half english)
im proud of my heritage but im certainly not proud of the empire we had because it was an empire funded by oppession and slavery.
when i think of englads emire i think of all the senceless murder.

What empire wasn't founded on oppression and slavery? The British empire was however the first to actively try and end oppression and slavery. Sadly we failed (there are more people in slavery today than any time in history).

As regards the Union of England and Scotland: this came about because Scotland was bankrupted by the Darien Affair. A situation in some respects not dissimilar to which Iceland finds itself in today. Ironically, the financial meltdown has effectively ended any likelihood of Scottish independence (which, logically, is no difference to Wessex independence or Orcadian independence).

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

it still doent make it ok, and people that celebrate the fact their empire in away are for the slavery that founded it

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
What's truly sad is ..

At the near-peak of the British Empire's oh-so massive power, according to these Brits on here talking it up, they still got beat badly by the Colonists in North America TWICE, in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Yes, you sacked Washington D.C., but we burnt YORK to the ground, and the city which sprouted in its' place is now known as Toronto, and it is there even to this day.

I live 10 minutes drive from the house (called the Moore house) right beside the last Revolutionary Battlefield at Yorktown where Cornwallace surrendered and signed terms to George Washington.

Allow me to say that Cornwallace made a giant strategic GAFFE by fortifying the area of Yorktown, on the Peninsula, trapped by the Sea and two massive Rivers. The French came and blockaded like the good, freedom loving folks that they are, and then we took it to that assss on the battlefield. Yes, mere colonists, undisciplined tradesman and farmers, politicians and mere boys, yes, we developed new tactics against your old tactics of stand and deliver. These same tactics have been applied against our very own armies in this modern age (Iraq/Afghanistan).

And this is the most patriotic you will ever hear me sounding :-D

Seems to me that was one battle the empire lasted another 100 odd years after it

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

reply to post by Essan

it still doent make it ok, and people that celebrate the fact their empire in away are for the slavery that founded it

None of us are celebrating slavery we are celebrating our inginuity, when did the slave trade end, and how much longer did the empire continue to last for?

The empire got most of it's strength when it nationalized the east india trading company, we British stumpled upon an empire admittedly we had no aim to create one

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
the empire may have gone on after slavery ended but generally we were still telling other people how to think and how they should live there lives and using people from these other cultures as cheap labour.

how would you like it if some came to your house and planted a flag and said you live differently to me so your a savage or below us oh and by the way im taking your land.
because in lamest terms thats what generally happened nommatter how much anyone glamerises it.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

the empire may have gone on after slavery ended but generally we were still telling other people how to think and how they should live there lives and using people from these other cultures as cheap labour.

how would you like it if some came to your house and planted a flag and said you live differently to me so your a savage or below us oh and by the way im taking your land.
because in lamest terms thats what generally happened nommatter how much anyone glamerises it.

I live in Cornwall it happens all the time

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
well i feel for you then

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Time for some Clarkson-

Jeremy’s wit and wisdom

Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks to the example set by the increasingly powerful Health and Safety Executive, staff at BBC Radio Sheffield have been given booklets on how to boil a kettle: “Under no circumstances empty the contents over your head”

Four separate pieces of legislation – on age, sex, race and disability – mean that if British Nuclear Fuels wants a person to monitor the reactors at Sellafield, it is duty bound to consider someone whose CV reveals them to be a hormonal Afghan school-leaver with a keen interest in Middle East politics, a degree in chemistry and epilepsy

Who are the busybodies who say that we can’t smoke foxes or smack our children? The nitwits who say that we should have a new bank holiday to celebrate traffic wardens and social workers? Where do they meet? Who pays their wages?

When I was at school, teachers spoke with pride about how a little island in the north Atlantic turned a quarter of the world pink, but now all teachers talk about is the slave trade and how we must hang our heads in shame

In the past, crying only happened abroad. No more. We were ordered to weep like Americans when Diana died, and no local news report is complete today without some fat oik sobbing because his house has fallen over

A question. It’s addressed to all the equal opportunity, human rights, diet carbon, back room, bleeding heart liberals who advise the government: “I am English. Why is that a good thing?” I bet they don’t have an answer. And until they can come up with one, chances are we’ll never win at football again
The Met Office, spurred on by the chance for a bit of bossiness, agrees that we should stay at home whenever it’s windy, and possibly move to the cellar with some soup until the all-clear is sounded

Mention the war and you’ll be told by an outreach counsellor that we must empathise with the Germans, who are coming to terms with their mistakes of the past. “And you know, children, it was actually the British who invented concentration camps...”

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Clarkson on Johnny Foreigner-

Jeremy’s wit and wisdom

Jeremy Clarkson

No arguing please – the Russians are the worst tourists in the world. A lout from Liverpool may vomit on you and that’s nasty. But a Russian would happily garnish your pizza with a dash of polonium. And that’s so much worse

In the whole of human history Norway’s only contributions have been the paperclip and the cheese slicer. Only Australia has achieved less, with the rotary washing line

[On the Swedes] You ain’t seen nothing till you’ve seen a party of Thors locusting their way through the swim-up bar. The only difference is that when we get drunk, we like to catch a venereal disease. When they get drunk, they like to commit suicide

[On the French] They don’t seem to do foreign holidays, and with good reason. Does God leave heaven every August and take a vacation in hell? No. Well, why would anyone go abroad if they live in France?

It’s entirely unfair that some people are born fat or ugly or dyslexic or disabled or ginger or Welsh. Life, I’m afraid, is tragic

To be born Italian and male is to win the first prize in the lottery of life or be gay.

It’s often said that the Germans don’t have a sense of humour, but look at it this way. They may laugh at desperately unfunny stuff such as Benny Hill and Are You Being Served?, but who made it in the first place?

Spain is where you go when you’ve sold your taxi

The biggest thing to come out of Canada is Donald Sutherland [but] I like the way they were on time for both world wars .

[On South Africans] What they like to do, and you’ve got to remember they’re all fairly big-boned, is climb to the top of the diving board and jump on your head’ It comes with being dim of course

Australia is where you go when you’ve made a mess of everything. That’s why the 1.3m Brits who live there are known as whingeing Poms. Because they’re all failures

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sotp

Westminister also has the power to veto most of what the Scottish parliament does if it's not to London's liking. We do not have full control, and in my opinion a country's parliament should be free to govern as it sees fit (in a civilized way of course) without the interference of another.

I agree that you should.
But no one from Westminster can veto the Scottish Parliament because no English person holds a seat there.Unlike with ours where Scottish and Welsh politicians still have seats and therefore have a say with what goes on with the English Government.

I never claimed that no English died, but you can't deny the tactic of "send out the scruff" before risking English lives. It happened.

When it came to fighting it was because you could scare the s**t out of people by wearing a skirt and carrying a wailing octopus under your arm
Seriously though,it was usually because you were (and still are) great at combat.

GodshipForAll

I despise the english blood running in my vains, Love the Scottish blood and proud of the Canadian I am.

Never understood this attitude.
I'm a proud Englishwoman,but i'm equally proud of my Scottish,Irish,Norwegian and German ancestry.

I am proud of what the British Empire has achieved,i'm not proud of the blood shed and the lives lost,but neither am i ashamed of it.I cannot change the past,i can only help to make the future a better place.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

the empire may have gone on after slavery ended but generally we were still telling other people how to think

I think that's rather more American than Britain to be honest. I think from several perspectives, for the last 40 or 50 years at least, America has been more culturally, military and fiscally dominant than Britain has been. Conspiracy theories aside, our influence over the rest of the world isn't that big.

and how they should live there lives and using people from these other cultures as cheap labour.

That's part of the capitalist system rather than anything to do with Empire.

As bad as acts in the name of the Empire were, and that goes for any Empire, a lot of it has to be put into context, particularly when you are talking about the way people in foreign lands were treated during the 18th and 19th centuries. Compare the conditions written about in the 1840s by the likes of Marx and Engels about the British to what was happening elsewhere under British rule. Think of the fact it took the best part of another 100 years before the bulk of the British population had the right to vote and so on.

The point is, unless you were a member of the ruling classes, you were buggered whether you were born in this country or another country.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll

I agree that you should.
But no one from Westminster can veto the Scottish Parliament because no English person holds a seat there.Unlike with ours where Scottish and Welsh politicians still have seats and therefore have a say with what goes on with the English Government.

I've pointed this out myself a couple of times on this board. I think it's a bit of a surprise to some people who rather fancy the idea that England are some kind of brutal oppressors to the poor noble 'Celts'.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll

I am proud of what the British Empire has achieved,i'm not proud of the blood shed and the lives lost,but neither am i ashamed of it.I cannot change the past,i can only help to make the future a better place.

The problem is that nowadays people seem to be taught only to be ashamed of the bad things and not even told about the good things. And you're right, we cannot change the past no matter what some ignorant fools today might like.

But it is true: were it not for the European Empires, half the world would still be living in the iron age. And most of the rest in the stone age.

Edit: and just to re-emphasis - slavery has not ended. There are more slaves in the world today than in all the years of the British slave trade put together. But instead of trying to put an end to modern slavery we chastise ourselves for doing what everyone else was doing in the past ... ignoring the context and values of the time.

What's more important? Apologising because our ancestors did something which today we find abhorrent? Or stopping others from doing the same thing today?

[edit on 20-10-2008 by Essan]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Yes, mere colonists, undisciplined tradesman and farmers, politicians and mere boys, yes, we developed new tactics against your old tactics of stand and deliver. These same tactics have been applied against our very own armies in this modern age

The Revolutionary war was basically a civil war.
And you may not've had a standing army but you dwarfed the British army in size.Its estimated that America had 250,000 with 90,000 serving at any one time.The British didn't even have 40,000 soldiers in the world at the start of the war! We made up numbers with mercenaries,but the total soldiers serving at any one time was about 50,000.
Battles such as Concord,Saratoga and the siege of Boston were down to manpower and the British were overwhelmed.And both sides used guerrilla and partisan warfare tactics.(which have been around for centuries before then)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The problem is that nowadays people seem to be taught only to be ashamed of the bad things and not even told about the good things. And you're right, we cannot change the past no matter what some ignorant fools today might like.

I know,i find it very frustrating.
I say we should teach children our complete history,the good and the bad,and they can make up their own minds on whether they should be proud or not.

We are not responsible for what people did in the past,therefore its foolish to hold us responsible for things that cannot be changed.Yet,this is how some people see the world.They're the type who condemn all Germans for what the Nazi's did,even those that weren't even born then,and thats very sad indeed.Also,their ignorance leads them to such conclusions as blaming Britain for the Atlantic slave trade when it was in fact started by the Spanish & Portugese empires a century or so before the Brits got in on the act.

What's more important? Apologising because our ancestors did something which today we find abhorrent? Or stopping others from doing the same thing today?

Very true.
The Atlantic slave trade has long been over yet some people,like those mentioned above,cannot see any further than that.To them slavery does not exist any longer.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Thank you for all the comments posted thus far. Its quite obvious from reading the replies that many can see further than the end of their noses and indeed the bigger picture that is in play. Lets hope we can continue to lift the veil of ignorance of those who so happily wear it everyday of their lives.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
master race??? oh, my drink came through my nose, pardon me...

IS there a "race" in britain? i am harping on semantics- the OP probably didnt mean master "RACE" as much as "nationality". but ask a scott and he'd tell you a thing or two about the english, and none of it too kind. arent most brits are a mix of viking and norman (i guess that = french)?

master race-- hmmm. well, the english are collectively the funniest looking people in the western world. some of you just look like bunny rabbits. enough said.

my parents survived WWII-- im not a fan of the nazi legacy, but the brits were total bastards during occupation. they gave soap to the children and told them it was candy (laugh if you must- it is a harmless prank, but still very cruel to do to an impoverished child).

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Tynee, Funny looking or not we are still on top of the pile and will be for the foreseable future. The people of the UK are the most warlike people on this Planet, I don't gloat over that fact its just the truth, thats why the perps who run the show have their home here. They know that at a moments notice they can set us lose if need be where everywhere else they would have to have a sit down and think about it or vote on it.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Master race really? If it wasn't for America the master race would be hailing Hitler and buliding him palaces. Shouldn't the "master races" superior intelligence and uncanny physical strength trampled the Nazis in a matter of days? I mean with that type of advantage what went wrong?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Tynee, Funny looking or not we are still on top of the pile and will be for the foreseable future. The people of the UK are the most warlike people on this Planet, I don't gloat over that fact its just the truth, thats why the perps who run the show have their home here. They know that at a moments notice they can set us lose if need be where everywhere else they would have to have a sit down and think about it or vote on it.

I belive if there war WW3 we would fight bravely and strong the British would never surrender we would fight to the last man if it meant wiping out our culture.

I also think a lot of British leaders would reform old allie ties we would be much needed by them for training.

We are very truely a war like nation...

...but wouldn't other nations be too if you were an island that was plagued by wars for such a long time?

Thats the main reason why we have such a good navy and such good training

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join