It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uk, Land of the Master Race

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm not sure where I've heard this, but it sounds about right (paraphrased quote):

"The Brits used to rule the world, but now they've come to suck at everything that matters--sports and war!"

I may have even blurred a few quotes together, but that is the basic jist of what I remember. I don't think you could judge a countries power by what it does in secret. Most countries have something going on that all the other countries have no idea about! Kinda scary to think what the Americans are up to these days.

I will admit, the British gave everyone many useful inventions, but many countries made them their own. If everyone has your inventions, then they don't give you advantage or power over anyone else. And besides, everyone got a lot of ideas from the Romans, but they aren't the "Master Race".

I'm pretty sure the Americans could trump the British in a war... if only they'd keep their nose out of other countries business.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Er...I assume the OP is in fact ENGLISH, and a royalist tory to boot because even said tongue-in-cheek this is just the kind of arrogant twaddle I'd expect from one of them! I hate it when the English go on about the "Great British Empire" when they really mean English empire, as they'd send the Scots, Welsh & Irish (after conquering and oppressing them for a bit) out to die for England's greed before they'd even think of getting their own delicate widdle hands dirty! Honestly, should anyone anywhere be proud that their country had an empire? "We are so great because we killed your people and stole your land!" It's disgusting!

Ayway, I suppose it might be obvious to some that I am a Scottish nationalist!, I pray for independence (well not really, but I would if I believed in God) from the U.K, but I don't want to give the impression I hate English people! Most I have met in my life have been absolutely wonderful (even Londoners) my sister married a guy from Preston & I have visited England many times! I don't judge them all based on the actions of their monarchy or government, but I don't think that they should be proud of their country's role in history (with the obvious exception of WW2, good job there sassenachs, I'll give you that one)

ColoradoJens, nice dig about the footy, loved it. Scotland have a crap team, but at least we know it! "England expects"? Pah, I don't know why they bother...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sotp
Ayway, I suppose it might be obvious to some that I am a Scottish nationalist!, I pray for independence (well not really, but I would if I believed in God) from the U.K...

So do i, it seems a little unfair that english taxes go to funding Salmonds scottish freebies.

And its a bit low claiming english blood was spared. They were all pushed thru the grinder.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

I wish it to be so, unfortunately I have realized recently that it's just not the case. And I end up have to favor china in 30 years. They'll own you. Sorry. Hey, at least you survive.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I'm not sure where I've heard this, but it sounds about right (paraphrased quote):

"The Brits used to rule the world, but now they've come to suck at everything that matters--sports and war!"

I may have even blurred a few quotes together, but that is the basic jist of what I remember. I don't think you could judge a countries power by what it does in secret. Most countries have something going on that all the other countries have no idea about! Kinda scary to think what the Americans are up to these days.

I will admit, the British gave everyone many useful inventions, but many countries made them their own. If everyone has your inventions, then they don't give you advantage or power over anyone else. And besides, everyone got a lot of ideas from the Romans, but they aren't the "Master Race".

I'm pretty sure the Americans could trump the British in a war... if only they'd keep their nose out of other countries business.

Although we the english would lose a war against america it would be because of the sheer manpower, however if it was man against man we would win quality over qauntity.

Because we the British have less resources than america we invest our money in personnel training.

I fear this is turning into a Boston tea party all over again
and I'm continueing to fuel it.

no more feeding the troll from me

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sotp

I hate it when the English go on about the "Great British Empire" when they really mean English empire

The full title was the United Kingdom of Great Britain.Scotland joined this through a political union,not conquest,at the start of the 18th century.

I pray for independence (well not really, but I would if I believed in God) from the U.K

I'm sure you're aware that since joining the UK you've had independent law,jurisdiction,education and church and since 1998 you've had your own government,and in 1999 your very own parliament was set up.The Queen may still be your symbolic head of state,but you have full control over the land and the laws etc.

as they'd send the Scots, Welsh & Irish (after conquering and oppressing them for a bit) out to die for England's greed before they'd even think of getting their own delicate widdle hands dirty! Honestly, should anyone anywhere be proud that their country had an empire? "We are so great because we killed your people and stole your land!" It's disgusting!

Yes,the upper-class yobs didn't treat you right,but the English working class had it just as bad,and in some industrial towns,even worse.

As i said in a previous post,empires are built on blood,that should never be forgotten,but neither should all the good that came from the British empire.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Oh one last thing most political systems and ecomony came from the British empire I think we have some say about how to do things correctly.

I dont mean to sound petty but i'm proud to be British and proud of some aspects of the Empire

[edit on 19/10/2008 by klain]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by klain

ha, yeah it was meant in the same tongue-in-cheek that the
op claims..
i am first generation Canadian after my dad came over from Scotland, he came from a poor family of 8 in Glasgow.. so i was raised with the Scottish pride and general disdain for the english, in the rivalry way that seems to be over there. even though my last name is Cook.. i even have a tattoo of Captain Cook's ship the HMS Resolution from his third voyage... just note the omission of the union jack on the flags! about 10 hours in, a couple left for the compass and some old cartography lines to go in the sky..

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Man_Versus_AntiMan

I never claimed that no English died, but you can't deny the tactic of "send out the scruff" before risking English lives. It happened.
Hey you can keep your taxes - we'll manage just fine with whisky and the remaining North Sea oil/gas etc. I don't want to get dragged into an argument about whether or not Scots benefit from the union (in some ways we do, in others we don't) because in my opinion that is irrelevant...

reply to post by jakyll

I am fully aware of the full title of the UK, but to say Scotland joined isn't quite right. It's not like we got a referendum, we were sold out by nobles for land and titles. As for our so-called independent law/church/education, I'd say not quite. There are regular efforts to bring our legal system into line with England's. The head of the Church of Scotland is the Queen of England. In education, the curriculum has been London controlled until very recently, to the point that very little Scottish history was actually taught in our schools. Westminister also has the power to veto most of what the Scottish parliament does if it's not to London's liking. We do not have full control, and in my opinion a country's parliament should be free to govern as it sees fit (in a civilized way of course) without the interference of another. It's a matter of principle, whether we'd be worse off economically or not away from the union.
I would agree with your point about English working class industrial towns getting a raw deal too. If you weren't from the South-East then it could be pretty miserable, no argument there.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
LOL
The jokey thread enthusiasts are now having arguments and berating others who took it seriously.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
For me, as a german citizen ,
, this thread is very amusing. And it tells me, that each country has got its own wee Hitlers
Thanks to the universe for this revelation, another step taken on my reconvalescence of beeing german.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by mae_thoranee]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mae_thoranee

Hi,coming to Frankfurt for the xmas market .Any shopping tips and recomendations ?,thanks Candy

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidney thief
damn limeys!

that english breakfast of yers is proof undeniable that the only race you are master of is the race to the cardiologist. Fried bread for toast?? cripes. now if only the master race could learn to master a toothbrush...
remember the simpsons episode where lisa needs braces and the dentist shows her the Big Book Of British Smiles to scare her? gold, i say, old chap.

This confirms my long held belief that you Yanks are a bunch of poofs.What you can't handle a good old English Breakfast?-Nancy Boys!You stick to your girlie food and go to the gym boyo.Don't even think about Cornish Pasties then as they will be far too scary for you and as for Victoria Sponges-the evil cake of British Imperialism.

By the way,your 'beer'(ha,ha there's a misnomer) tastes like little girls wee and it's SOCCER not SAARRRKERRR and finally we invented the Enigma Code not you that was just Hollywood pandering to you fragile egos.Chin Chin Old Things,Candy

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by candyfloss

was it not the germans who invented the Enigma machine and the brits who deciphered it?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I LOL'd at the British suck at war, thats just immature and pathetic to say that, the entire world knows america is fascinated with guns and religion, the entire world laughs at you (except muslims).
In a war the US would beat the UK, but only through sheer numbers, our basic infantry regiments like the rifles do twice as much basic training than a US soldier,marine and paratroopers, Royal Marine Commandos and Paras are in a completely different league. I don't think the US would ever be able to occupy the UK either, unless you nuked us...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

true,i stand corrected.Referring to a film where it's claimed the US cracked it.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK2

I LOL'd at the British suck at war, thats just immature and pathetic to say that, the entire world knows america is fascinated with guns and religion, the entire world laughs at you (except muslims).
In a war the US would beat the UK, but only through sheer numbers, our basic infantry regiments like the rifles do twice as much basic training than a US soldier,marine and paratroopers, Royal Marine Commandos and Paras are in a completely different league. I don't think the US would ever be able to occupy the UK either, unless you nuked us...

lol I think the war has just begun

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
im british (quarter scotish, quarter welsh and half english)
im proud of my heritage but im certainly not proud of the empire we had because it was an empire funded by oppession and slavery.
when i think of englads emire i think of all the senceless murder.

i dont think we are a better nation and dont think any nation is the best no matter what fire power we have we are all flesh and blood at the end of the day.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
What's truly sad is ..

At the near-peak of the British Empire's oh-so massive power, according to these Brits on here talking it up, they still got beat badly by the Colonists in North America TWICE, in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812.

Yes, you sacked Washington D.C., but we burnt YORK to the ground, and the city which sprouted in its' place is now known as Toronto, and it is there even to this day.

I live 10 minutes drive from the house (called the Moore house) right beside the last Revolutionary Battlefield at Yorktown where Cornwallace surrendered and signed terms to George Washington.

Allow me to say that Cornwallace made a giant strategic GAFFE by fortifying the area of Yorktown, on the Peninsula, trapped by the Sea and two massive Rivers. The French came and blockaded like the good, freedom loving folks that they are, and then we took it to that assss on the battlefield. Yes, mere colonists, undisciplined tradesman and farmers, politicians and mere boys, yes, we developed new tactics against your old tactics of stand and deliver. These same tactics have been applied against our very own armies in this modern age (Iraq/Afghanistan).

And this is the most patriotic you will ever hear me sounding :-D

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join