It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Weider died at 85.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
For people here supporting the thesis that Napoleon was murdered, a former businessman, bodybuilder and Napoleon scholar, Ben Weider, died today in Montréal at the age of 85.

www.canada.com...

www.cbc.ca...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PopeyeFAFL

Ya...good riddence. Ben and his brother Joe were the promoters of bastardizing a physique, by allowing individuals to pump synthetic hormones into their bodies and profiting from it. I dare anyone to say that those freaks on stage and those magazines are "Natural" physiques, for that conclusion will definately give this thought process as truly IGNORANT.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ben Weider and his brother deserve a lot of credit to bringing bodybuilding to the level in which it is now for or for worse. The fans wanted to see freaks and subsequently they came. Read into their perspectives a little more and you will discover that neither was crazy about the rampant drug use, but one can't deny their business sensibilities. If you have ever cracked a Musclemag, a Muscular Development or even an Iron Man ,which is more about training than it is synthetic hormones, for entertainment value then it is this man that you MUST give a nod to. Your insensitivity in this matter would lead me to believe that he clearly isn't one of your relatives.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by modusoperandi
Read into their perspectives a little more and you will discover that neither was crazy about the rampant drug use, but one can't deny their business sensibilities.

They NEVER did anything to address the rampant drug use nor did they care about the bodybuilders who got injured or died from it. All the cared about was displaying the freaks and profiting, regardless of their health.

If you have ever cracked a Musclemag, a Muscular Development or even an Iron Man ,which is more about training than it is synthetic hormones, for entertainment value then it is this man that you MUST give a nod to.

I am entering 14 years of weight training and I have "cracked" open many magazines. Those physiques are of a SYNTHETIC product of stacks of Growth Hormone, Testosterone, DNP, Insulin Injections, Insulin Growth Factor, Clenbuterol and other exotic DRUGS. I dont care how hard you train and how elite your diet is, one can never look like this naturally. So your arugment is false, more emphasis is placed on the drugs. Yes they do train hard, but its by no means without EXTREME chemical assistance.

As far as the "Entertainment Value", whats to say? He takes photographs of bodybuilders in the moment and calls that "bodybuilding"? PUHLEASSSEEE

Your insensitivity in this matter would lead me to believe that he clearly isn't one of your relatives.

You are correct...

[edit on 18-10-2008 by solarstorm]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don't recall any Mr. Olympia of recent history claiming to be "natural". As for the Weiders allowing such drug protocols to come to pass, you are correct that the proverbial blind eye was turned here. However, there was a Mr. Olympia (I can't quite remember the year but it was within the last ten or fifteen years) where a strict drug testing protocol was in place. The result? Physiques that failed to wow the fans blunted overall fanfare. I believe you said they NEVER tried. The opposite is true; they tried and no one cared or rather they cared to see the "freaks". There are some amazing "natural" bodybuilders out there like Michael Locket or Dave Goodin that probably put up with the scrutiny and hypocrisy of the anti-steroid crusaders but that's their reward for achieving superiority without the list of nasty drugs you listed. Perhaps Men's Health is a more appropriate magazine for the condescending eye.

In any event, no one forces these gentlemen and (yuck) ladies to use these drugs. They can do other things with their lives and many do. Regardless of any preconceived notions as to what kind of supplementation isn't out of bounds, be it creatine or testosterone, bodybuilding will always be on the fringe of society.

I imagine you had similar words to say when Gene Upshaw died recently. Now there was an individual that cared nothing for the participants of the sport and fought to keep terminally injured players outside of the benefits packages the NFL has for players.

Point being, ultimately you are correct in suggesting that it is exploitation of individuals that clearly display symptoms of muscle dysmorphia but the Weiders are pioneers in the fields of not only bodybuilding publications but also of supplementation. Or is only freaks and cheaters that use creatine?

new topics

top topics

join