It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Diplomats Abroad Told To Wait For 'Important News'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

North Korean Diplomats Abroad Told To Wait For 'Important News'

en.rian.ru

MOSCOW, October 18 (RIA Novosti)

Diplomats at all North Korean embassies have been told to wait for an important message from Pyongyang, a Japanese newspaper reported on Saturday.

Yomiuri Shimbun said the diplomats received the instruction several days ago. It quoted unnamed sources as saying they were told to cancel all business trips.

Analysts say the news could be connected with the deteriorating health of North Korea's reclusive leader Kim Jong-il, or with relations between the two Koreas
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Something big is happening now!

There is just assumption what it can be, but ofcourse the health of Kim Jong-Il is naturally in head of all rumors.

But... It can be something totally other. We can just wait now, but something big is happening in Korean Peninsula, and all of those who has watch the news, it can be anything from A-Bombs and new KoreanWar, to Coup or Civilwar.

Propably nothing good from there...

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
canadianpress.google.com...
Yes its true.
They have done this.
Its fairly certain KimJong had a stroke months ago and had brain surgery.
Intelligence services are fairly up to speed on what goes on in NK.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by Interestinggg]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yup, a few news sites report it.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Reuters

But...

The UPI calls BS

SEOUL, Oct. 18 (UPI) --

A top North Korean source Saturday discounted reports that North Korean diplomats abroad have been told to stay near their embassies to await important news.

"I've not heard anything of importance from the embassies in Beijing or New York. I do not think anything of importance is happening," said Kim Myong Chol, who heads the Center for U.S.-North Korea Peace.

[edit on 10/18/08 by makeitso]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Saturday, October 18, 2008

U.S. Pledges Prompt Military Aid to S. Korea

After the 40th Security Consultative Meeting in Washington yesterday, the defense chiefs of South Korea and the United States issued a joint statement containing a U.S. pledge to promptly dispatch forces to the Korean Peninsula in case of war.

The two sides also agreed to have U.S. troops transfer 49 percent of their war reserves stockpile for allies to Korean forces.

The joint statement by Defense Minister Rhee Sang-hee and U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says that Washington will promptly offer an appropriate level of reinforcement in the event of emergency on the Korean Peninsula.

This is the first time that the meeting’s joint statement pledges quick reinforcement deployment by U.S. forces. A similar promise, however, was made in a mutual defense treaty.

“The U.S. made it clear that its security assurances on the Korean Peninsula remain intact regardless of the transfer of wartime operational control to Korean forces in April 2012,” a Defense Ministry official said. “The U.S. will provide sufficient military reinforcement (in case of war) to Korea. The size of reinforcement stated in the existing bilateral agreement will hardly change.”

Washington promised to send 690,000 troops, 160 warships and 2,000 airplanes under the existing agreement. Rhee and Gates also reportedly had in-depth discussions on military measures in response to various contingencies on the peninsula, such as North Korean leader Kim Jong Il’s transfer of power due to poor health.

The positive outcome of the bilateral defense talks could help resume the development of the joint combined war scenario, code-named OPLAN 5027, which was disbanded by the previous Roh Moo-hyun administration.

(donga.com)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
18/10/08:

...talks could help resume the development of the joint combined war scenario, code-named OPLAN 5027...

(donga.com)

OPLAN 5027

Oplan 5027 is the United States and Republic of Korea's operational plan for defense of South Korea in the event of a North Korean invasion. The plan in its current form assumes that North Korea would open a second Korean War with a minimum level of pre-war indications, and would likely bombard Seoul, one of the world's largest cities with fortified artillery pieces, a devastating scenario.

Given the overwhelming technical superiority of the combined forces of the ROK and the US, North Korea's only hope for a victory is to leverage its huge numerical advantage and quickly overrun the forces in place, leading to either the occupation of the entire peninsula before any response could be launched, or creating such a horrific level of casualties that opposing forces would be forced to sue for peace. The plan also assumes that the Republic of Korea and the United States would leverage their overwhelming superiority in air and seaborne assets to quickly neutralize the land-based North Korean military.

(wikipedia.org)

Global Security: OPLAN 5027 Major Theater War - West

The Atlantic: When North Korea Falls

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Friday, October 17, 2008

Japan concerned over Chinese submarines near maritime borders

TOKYO, October 17 (RIA Novosti) - Chinese submarines have recently increased their activity near Japan's maritime borders in the East China Sea, a Japanese military source said on Friday.

According to the source, the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force detected the presence of a Chinese Han-class nuclear-powered submarine and a Song-class diesel attack submarine in the region as the U.S. George Washington nuclear aircraft carrier was heading to the South Korean port of Pusan on a friendly visit.

The USS George Washington is stationed at a U.S. naval base in Yokosuka, Japan.

The source said the Chinese submarines did not violate Japanese territorial waters, but described their activities as attempts "to gather data on noise signatures emitted by all automated systems of the U.S. aircraft carrier" and "some sort of intimidation."

In response to the Chinese moves, Tokyo and Washington increased the number of patrol flights by Japan's P-3C Orion ASW aircraft and deployed additional U.S. reconnaissance satellite assets to monitor the area.

The Chinese Navy's submarine fleet includes at least two nuclear-powered attack submarines, and its 13 Song-class submarines are extremely quiet and difficult to detect when running on electric motors.

In October 2006, an undetected Chinese Song-class submarine popped up in the middle of a U.S. task force during an exercise in the Pacific at the distance of only 5 miles from the USS Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier.

The Chinese vessel slipped past at least a dozen other American warships which were supposed to protect the carrier from hostile aircraft or submarines.

en.rian.ru...

Are we on the brink to something here? Will this be the show they will trigger to distract us all from the financial mess?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
or it may be that NK is declaring a resumption of its nuclear activity,
and not in the peaceful way that Iran is pursuing enrichment
(nuclear plants generating electricity Only)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Perhaps... it could be anything.

But why have they requested their envoys and diplomats not to travel?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
if it was anything close to war they would have called everyone back. I would assume it will be business as usual

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Quite possible that the North Korean government will shortly be announcing the formation of a "New Central Governing Committee".

While not admitting to any physical or mental condition attribitable to the glorious leader "Lil Kim", the Committee will serve to faciliate the grand and complex "Great Push Forward" the PRK envisions as a result of its removal from the Capitalistic US "Axis of Terror" list.

Said removal was part of the price the US was obliged to pay to its Chinese "creditors" in exchange for economic concessions which might allow the US and its western allies to salvage their teetering economies.

With US pressure taken off North Korea, China will be able to better mange its NK refugee problem; a source of growing internal strife for the Chinese government control freaks.

At least, that's how I read it, based on my sources.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
From what I heard, Kim Jong Il has been out of power for a while now, and his son Kim Jong-chul is the one in place as of now, behind the scenes.

Of course this is just what I have "heard", and I couldn't even tell you where I heard it. Purely rumor.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Washington promised to send 690,000 troops, 160 warships and 2,000 airplanes under the existing agreement.

I'm sorry, but 690,000 troops??? That would pretty much clean out the shelf of our military forces availiable to us! That's close to two full corps and an entire Marine Expeditionary Force!

160 warships is also a heavily reinforced Seventh Fleet. That's at minimum six carrier strike groups, plus a multitude of warships for amphibious assault.

I apologize, but if the U.S. government thinks we can just dump the house, as us firefighters say, at a time of economic/financial turmoil and sputtering military efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, with a military significantly downsized since the last day of Desert Storm, they are absolutely out of their minds. The only way we can support such a military deployment without exacerbating this crisis into a recession is for the government to completely nationalize the economy. Which, I'm beginning to believe, they are not above doing.

For anyone who thinks I'm overreacting, remember that Operation Desert Shield deepend the early 1990s recession and spiked the price of oil.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

It's absolute madness, isn't it?

I thought they'd surely got the numbers wrong at first. I was wrong.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

U.S. continues military pact with S. Korea

WASHINGTON, Oct. 19 (UPI) -- The United States has promised that it would send more soldiers to South Korea in the event of a military threat, officials said.

Officials from both countries released a statement Friday at the end of the 40th Security Consultative Meeting in Washington, The Korea Times reported.

South Korean Defense Minister Lee Sang-hee and U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said that the agreement remains in force until South Korea has full capacity to defend itself.

The agreement calls for U.S. military forces stationed in South Korea to be reinforced by 690,000 personnel, 2,000 planes and 160 military vessels in the event of war.

U.S. troops have been based in South Korea since the truce that ended the Korean War more than 50 years ago.

(upi.com)

You'd better pray that something - anything - doesn't happen in the next few hours and days. They're committed to OPLAN 5027.

Won't they need a draft?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
depending on what your opinion of the credible source..it could be an inside release of information regarding disractions of economic seriousness rather over war possibilies with another counrty.

EU Leaders Call for Global Currency
[yvid]

[edit on 19-10-2008 by raoulduke666]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

With the current economic situation I would think that as unemployment and hardship rises it will start getting easier for the military recruiters to do their jobs. For many especially younger single people the military may seem like a good option as you have no housing worries and are fed regularly. If all else fails there's always the draft.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by chips

That number doesn't make any sense. That would be almost 1/2 of our active forces. Seems REALLY odd to ask for 1/2 of our military to be deployed to South Korea... "just in case".

After re-reading it, it sounds like we would commit to giving them that many troops in the event of a war. My guess is that they don't expect to actually have to do it.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
So is this the event we've been predicting would happen to cancel your elections?

The timing of the whole thing is incredibly sus.
George just really doesn't want to go quietly does he.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

The force mentionned is not a force to be deployed to South Korea right now just in case, it's in event of a war.

And yes, to commit that much forces to a war, it would need a draft. But it doesn't mention where they gonna get it... and how much time it would take to train the new troops... or if they talk about a NATO commitment... or a draft of old war veterans.

After re-reading it, it sounds like we would commit to giving them that many troops in the event of a war. My guess is that they don't expect to actually have to do it.

Exactly.

And for North Korea, they could wage war now... the western powers, if they go to war, would collapse their economies even more. Also, the US has no way to deploy in South Korea in significant numbers to stop North Korea. And of course, there's no troops. And a draft would be extremely hard... even impossible... and to train all those troops, build new tanks, ect... would need a shiatload of money...but eh, americans may want a war against North Korea... after all, a hell lot of people hate the North Korean leadership and would like to go there and save the day, and a lot of people would get motivated after the 20.000 americans soldiers already in SK are killed by NK.

The only way to stop the war if it would happen now, it would be if China would invade North Korea right the next second... after all, an United Korea is bad for China.

But all those attack talks are silly because it would be madness to attack at the end of october... when winter is coming.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Precisely, that's what I was thinking, too. Opportunism - and from a dying man and a dying regime. What could be done if North Korea makes a move on the South? Apart from tactical nukes or something, I can't think of much - not with troops being spread so thinly across the Middle East and elsewhere.

Christopher Hitchens said of Hitler: He was a dying man, and so that explained why he gave such seemingly insane orders to his generals - to start a war in the East. He knew he didn't have much time left; he either wanted to see Germany triumph or collapse, and all very quickly.

I wonder.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join