It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Uses "Guantanamo Bay Style" Isolation Cells to Punish Students

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson

"schooling" has little to do with teaching and has everything to do with shapings the youngs minds towards obedience.

Really, do you have any evidence of that? I have see no proof of that at all.

the students are told to utterly accept the authority of thier leader or else they will be punished.they are told what to wear,what they will learn,how to learn it and by when.

The reasons why a certain rule exists are explained fully to the students and when you give them a chance to set their own rules they normally come up with very similar ones - and NO - this is not becuase they have been conditioned to think that way

they are entrained to accept whatever they are being taught is the truth,that the syllabus is gospel.

Not in my classes, they ain't.

no emphasis whatsoever is put upon the individual,upon learning.
if i discovered anti grav tech or instantanious intestellar travel am i rewarded at school?,nope....yet if i nod my head and memorize the syllabus i am a grade A student even though that same syllabus is learned by every other person in the western world.

A ridiculous statement and if you knew anything about how schools really work you would not make such a statement

the only thing you are rewarded for at school is obedience,do as your told and you shine,try to learn for yourself and your damned,you will learn only what your taught.

So how do you explain that my A-Level English language students have to carry out an ORIGINAL investigation and draw their own, yes, their own, conclusions?

As for the rest of your post?

Bording on racism, perhaps?

Perhaps the intergration with other cultures in school may have helped you with these issues regarding the 'boys in madrassas.'

MGGG

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

This, unfortunately, is the reason schools resort to damaging measures. Parents look for the school to determine their child's habits. While today's system does have it's hands tied from coddling these "bad" kids, parents have choices. Schools receive money based on students. If they are losing students because of the way they treat or can't treat the kids . . . the system will change because, like anything else, it all boils down to money. The U.S. spends over twice as much on education than any other western society, yet the level of education is practically the worst. To me that says this money is being spent in the wrong areas and on failing programs. Move your kid to a charter school that caters to more individual attention and doesn't afford for kids to be disruptive. Have your kid test into a "tracking" school that place kids in class with others of like mind . . . and therefore without the distraction of the "bad" kid. Lobby for schools to institute different methods of discipline.

Parents simply throwing their hands up and taking a back seat to their child's education is what led to these programs and "factory" atmosphere. Restate that I don't have a problem with isolation . . . just the psychological threatening set-up of this room.

[edit on 10/18/08 by solomons path]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

And then you wonder why people like me that grew up in the sixties and seventies find that education back then was of better quality and discipline was not a problem.

I always encourage those that have the means and have the time, to home school because believe it or not home schooling produces better prepared students academically.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't see how a person being sent to a time out room to reflect on the behavior that he or she was sent there for is seen as punishment. ... There is a difference between consequences for infractions, and punishment. ... If park in a handicap parking space, or smoke in an unauthorized no smoking zone, I know there are going to be consequences, therefor I don't do these things. I used time outs on my son when he was young in a matter of fact manner, with out yelling or belittlement, and he understood that he wasn't being punished but experiencing the consequences of doing things that weren't positive.... I supervised a behavior modification ward at a state mental hospital, and even the mentally retarded people on that unit understood why they were told to stay in a room devoid of distractions, and would calm down after a few minutes, and be fine afterwards.... Maybe if there were video games and flowery painted walls things would be alright. _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

We're not muted animals and we can talk to each other effectively. We should do this.

For a short time I played Father to a 7 year old whose parents divorced and Father was dying of cancer (and did die of cancer while I was with his Mother), his Mom was in and out of relationships with many different men, some abusive, some careless, some ignorant, but none of them sounded to me like Father figures for the boy or Husband figures for the Mother. Anyway, this child had more than a few problems, but I had no problem with him. When he acted up I'd calmly sit with him and talk to him about EVERYTHING that he did and didn't do, and I didn't punish him or put him on time out, though his Mother would often do that to him and sometimes persuaded me to, and I didn't like it. It was stupid. I'd be in the same room as him as he sat there with his face in the corner. DUMB. Moving forward, I'd talk to him about everything, explain it in detail, even sometimes write it down so he could come back and read it again. I'd define to him the POSSIBLE consequences and rewards, differing scenarios, etc. I taught him how to CONSIDER on his own, because he was never taught that. I watched as he fell in love with me and began liking me more than his Mother, I gained no pride from this, I only observed it as I was a part of it.

This is not the only child's life that I have been a part of and had an impact on. I can see what things work and what things don't. I'd never take my child and sit him or her in a room painted black with I'm sure to assume no sound and very little sunshine and probably repercussions for having to go to the bathroom. I don't punish kids and I see the effect it has on them. I spend time with children and I teach children how to be Humans, something I think many of us have forgotten and have been totally mind warped and mentally raped of because of this system where someone else parents your child for the whole day so that you can pay for them to do so and you forget how to be a parent yourself, then when you get home all you wanna do is turn on the t.v. and tell everyone to shut up and leave you alone. Oh, and make sure your 3 hours of homework is done if the 7+ spent at school wasn't enough.

There's no time for a family in this world. Who are we kidding? It's all about competing to dominate and be at the top, or to be lulled into the drone, not working together, although we inevitably do. It's about getting through another day to see that paycheck for most people. I rarely see anyone on this planet that is alive anymore. All I recognize are lost bodies and minds drifting about... hmm... sort of like drones if you will. I'm not saying I don't see people smile and laugh, or that I don't see people have fun, I'm saying that I don't see people that truly care anymore, it's very rare, and the reason being because so many people are taught to be obedient worker bees and never question; so what's to care about if one isn't aware of the dilemmas? They have no idea what they are, what they're doing here, what consequences their actions are causing, how to make this place better, or even how to talk to a child let alone one another as adults.

We're all either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough, we're too impulsive or not quick enough to react, we're too strict or don't listen and aren't patient enough... what are we doing? I know what I'm doing, I'm just trying to figure out why everything else is the way that it is now. I have a very hard time logically rationalizing the actions of this society and the people and things in it, but I do understand, I just don't see why there's no change and the same mistakes are made repetitively. It really irks me. Solutions should not be indefinite, they should be absolute.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is a bit cruel don't you think? This black room and bright light? when I was in elementary school we had a cloak room. This was in the back of the room and was a row of doors which opened up to show a narrow, long room where we hang our coats. I loved to be put in there, especially during cold weather cuz then I could search through my classmates coat pockets and see what each held dear to them in their pockets.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I'm in agreement with several others here...this is not new and it really is not that big a deal. My school (20+ years ago) had an isolation room as well. Although it was not painted black...it was an empty room the size of your typical American jail cell. White walls, one fluorescent light. Typically kinda cold, I shivered in that room on many occasions. When we acted up our teacher sent us to that room. Depending on how you acted while in that room dictated how long you stayed in that room. Could be 5 minutes....could be all day if you acted a fool while in there.

I don't have a problem with this at all. We live in a very "flower child" world. Parents don't spank their kids anymore or are afraid to do so and I can tell you some kids need to get their butt whooped. Flame me if you want but I was one of those kids. I didn't understand respect and I didn't care. I understood a good ol fashioned butt kicking just fine and taking a few of those eventually I understood respect. I look around at the world we live in today and kids have no respect. They do whatever they want and look at you like, "What are you gonna do about it?".

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
M school had something sort of like that. It was my teacher's supply closet. They stuck you in there, one person at a time, for a whole day, sometimes longer. It was used by two teachers as their supply closet. We were left alone, but could poke our head out to call the teacher if we needed something, like the bathroom. Honestly, I wasn't happy when I got put in there, but only because of the reason for the punishment. I quickly found that it was easier to learn there than in a classroom where I was tormented. I disliked coming out for lunch and was most unhappy when the punishment ended.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

"Force" parents to come get their sweet, "innocent" child out of school for misbehaving? Please! I am a teacher, and we have study booths in our school as well. Parents can "opt out" of having their child put in these booths, but most don't. My guess is most don't care! They KNOW how their child acts because they see it at home.
Here is a question for you who know it all:
What is the staff of a school supposed to do when a child (sometimes a child of 19 years of age) chooses to misbehave in school by disrupting the learning or safety of other students? Call the parents? Many times, that does not work because many of the habitual trouble making students parents don't care, which is why they are habitual trouble makers. That means the school has to find a place to put this "child" who is a danger to other students. I guess we COULD call the police and have the kid arrested on charges of assault? What about when it is not serious enough for jail, but to serious and/or last to long to let the kid remain in class? "REASON" with them? Right. Again, one must make an assumption that the child is able or willing to reason. Regardless of what many "experts" will tell you, most kids are not capable of reasoning when they are upset or angry. Many others have never learned how to reason, thanks to their wonderful, fantastic, missing-in-action parents. I know, let the schools BE the parent!!! (just give us the authority to REALLY do it...and the extra pay that we'd require for the extra time. HA!)
The bottom line is that the more parents opt out of being parents, the more the schools have to do to pick up the "missing parents" slack. There are only so many legal options that we have, and as we go along those options become fewer and fewer.
I'm sorry, but if you haven't been IN FRONT of the class, don't you believe for one minute that you have any idea about what to do as a teacher. Teaching a class of 15-30 kids is WAY different from being the parent of 2 or 3. Our job is not to be the parent, but we are required to by a public of "non-parents", and when we try, we get our butts handed to us on a platter. When we don't, we get our butts handed to us on a platter, too! Not all schools are doing great, but the vast majority of them are doing the best they can in the face of adults with absent parenting skills. Those booths work, when used correctly.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
In a classroom enviroment, in consideration of others who are thier to increase knowledge, having a student sit alone in a room to contemplate life is not such a bad thing if he is disrupting others.

Some people I have met try to isolate themselves on purpose as a part of self discovery.

When I was in grade school I was given the strap many times for my antics as well as having many detentions after school. Given a choice, as I was once given, I always chose to have the strap rather then being forced to sit by myself in a room all alone after school.lol

Anyhow, so long as somebody loves the kid and tries to take the energy the kid is displaying toward a postitive construct, the sitting by yourself can be turned into a positive thing.

Isolation is used in North America prisons. I have friends who liked isolation....

....one very good friend was confined in a see through cell, naked, and in plain view of all gaurds and other prisoners. We laugh about it now but we also talk about the change needed in a persons thought process to use the isolation as a pivot of strength rather then to be used as intended by the gaurds.

The exception of the rule, in my opinion, when it comes to punishment with kids lies in the idea of "does this better the life of the child". If it is not intended, in the emotional makeup of the situation, to better the life of the child, then the punishment is useless and will result in the further isolation of the child as it will foster deeper resentment toward the school/teacher/class inside the child.

I am against the strap, demeaning attitudes toward a child as this will simply further isolate the child....rather a person must approach a child with an attitude of love and accepatance when they face a difficult situation.

If a teacher or individual can harness the energy of the child that has been created in a difficult home then the child will respond. It is all a matter of trust.

If a teacher has not been from a difficult background it is probably very, very difficult for the teacher to know how the child is feeling.

Teachers have a tuff job. I now try to be involved in my childrens education in order to bring back some positive energy toward the schools as a part of my 'repentance" toward the times I attended public school.

....remember those in prison....

Peace
WR

[edit on 19-10-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Ok, that kind of parenting you just described irks me more than anything.

People who sit on their high and mighty chairs and think that deep meaningfull talk did the trick. UG. By the time that kid is 10, they have learned to play you like a chess master. They listen to you and stroke your ego, then go out with their friends, do what they want. All while laughing and making fun of said parent. Bragging about how easy they have it at home.

I say this, not as someone who has played house for awhile, but as a stay -at-home mother of 3 who has dedicated the past 13 years to taking care of kids. To add to that, most of the friends my kids hang out with hang out at my house - even though I am strict. Funny thing, that. I dont put up with anything, I am super strict, yet they choose to stay at my house. Do I punish by putting them in a room? No. They are not allowed to be at my house if they do not behave. No matter how "cool" the kid is, no one else chooses to leave with them, thus leaving the kid alone to think things over.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Ok, that kind of parenting you just described irks me more than anything.

Oh, being a loving, caring, communicative, gentle, fair, uncontrolling and substitute parent for a child that I didn't even bare irks you? I'll take note of that. I'm now assuming you enjoy hitting other people when you become frustrated that you're not getting people to do what you want, or is it just for your kids? It's so easy to beat the physically defenseless and weak into submission when they can't fight back, isn't it? You sound like an a-typical product of this war machine driven world.

People who sit on their high and mighty chairs

Actually, it's called lowering myself to his or her level, taking the time to teach them and not just sit on my high and mighty chair above them, torture them and beat them into submission with threats and physical beatings. It's about UNDERSTANDING, being considerate and being a good example.

and think that deep meaningfull talk did the trick. UG. By the time that kid is 10, they have learned to play you like a chess master.

No, maybe you. I have a great memory and an excellent investigative nose. Children learn fast that they can't get anything past me, they also learn fast that it's okay to tell me the truth because I'm a nice person that listens to everything and never punishes, rather only corrects when and where wrong, or stops a story when or where found to be lying. A simple "Now why did you lie to me? Did you think I was going to get mad at you? Was it because you did something wrong and you were scared that you would get in trouble? I will not hurt you or punish you if you did, I just want you to tell me the truth. The thing that gets you in trouble in this world is lies, telling the truth and being an honest person will get you far and a lot of good people will like you, people that tell YOU the truth and be honest with you. I appreciate the truth more than lying. You can tell me the truth ALWAYS, because I love you. Once you lie you have to create another lie when that lie begins to be discovered, and then another and another to cover up the original one. It's easier to just be honest, and I'll never punish you for making an honest mistake."

And I TALK a lot. Not only can children not lie to me, but adults can't lie to me. I'm very attentive and dressed in a well research.

They listen to you and stroke your ego, then go out with their friends, do what they want. All while laughing and making fun of said parent. Bragging about how easy they have it at home.

They CAN do whatever they want with their friends, it's their life at that point, I can not be there beside my child every second of every day and I refuse to be, my child must be allowed to grow up and become an independent Human Being, and if he or she decides to get into the wrong things then he or she still knows that they always have me there for them and that I always support whatever it is that he or she concludes to do in life. I am not only a parent but a best friend. However, when they are still children I am watching them and listening to them like a hawk, no, not controlling their every speech and every move, just watching and listening, allowing them to become who they are as much as possible without interference unless it is completely necessary and/or asked for and taking on notes on what type of person they are, what things they like and dislike, how or if they play people, etc. etc..

I say this, not as someone who has played house for awhile, but as a stay -at-home mother of 3 who has dedicated the past 13 years to taking care of kids.

I grew up taking care of kids. I have years of experience with multiple children. My Mom also ran a daycare and there were times when I had to be in charge of 5 or more children for 5+ hours, and that was anywhere from ages 10-18.

To add to that, most of the friends my kids hang out with hang out at my house - even though I am strict. Funny thing, that. I don't put up with anything, I am super strict, yet they choose to stay at my house. Do I punish by putting them in a room? No. They are not allowed to be at my house if they do not behave. No matter how "cool" the kid is, no one else chooses to leave with them, thus leaving the kid alone to think things over.

Everyone has different house rules. House rules are house rules and I think most people live to respect them when in another house that is not their own. I'd never purposely disrespect your house rules just to anger you, I'd be more interested in what they are and why. I don't put up with anything either, but I also allow people to have fun, being a vegetable is a waste of attire, we have bodies. My house exists to be dirtied/decorated, it's encouraged. Just don't waste food and try to go easy on the beds, doors, and cars while having a blast (because money, although not the most important thing in life, is still very important and necessary and should be valued to an extent, such as must have objects that are very costly to replace[car, door, window, etc.]), but accidents still happen, oh well! Try to be more careful next time! If you have any problems with each other you can try talking it out amongst yourselves because I trust you (the children) and if you can't solve a problem then just come to me and I'll help you.

Life is a party, be respectful and responsible and live it up. Drunken yourself with happiness and bliss and work when work is to be done.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shocka

School Uses "Guantanamo Bay Style" Isolation Cells to Punish Students

www.prisonplanet.com

...Children are ordered to sit for extended periods under a spotlight facing a black wall in one of four partitioned areas of a classroom to reflect on their misbehaviour.

Teachers at Ridgewood School in Doncaster – who call the cells ‘individual study rooms’ – also notify parents if their youngsters spend time in the cells...

A father whose son was ordered to spend a day in one of the units has threatened to remove him from the school in protest.

Continues below...
(visit the link for the full news article)

School was better when the principal could simply give the student a spanking and send him back to class.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Wonder how the father knows this is "Guantanamo Bay Style" isolation? Did he spend some time in there, or is he referring to the pro-terrorist MSM reporting on Guantanamo? If he considers sitting in a totally blacked out room as torture, I'm sure he'd more than gladly love to experience what the radical Islamic terrorists put their victims through, up to and including sawing their heads off with a machete on YouTube.

Well, glad to know that the gov schools are still a bit less tyranical than head chopping Muslim extremists.

Just sounds like a 'more so' version of the detention we had back in the late 70's. I always took the 'licks' option.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I think this is an excellent idea. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, when spanking was still allowed in schools and other types of punishments were regularly practiced. It is a sad comment on our society today that parents are afraid to discipline or punish their children for fear of being labelled "child abusers". I think it is very important that our children are taught that there are consequences for inappropriate behavior.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by schism85

i agree with you greeneyedleo these kind of methods disrupt classrooms and learning of well behaved children, i know this as i used to be one of the children who relied on this to distruped the class. This treatment will not help kids learn it only encourages them to act out in anger.
this is only my opinion based on my experiences

much love

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
sounds better than getting beaten with a yardstick or dust broom or whatever else is handy like the nuns used to do to us back in catholic school.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join