It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why people want to find their soul mate...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So cute. Explanation of why people want to find their soul mate.
Please add what you think about it.

I didn't write this I just found this at a forum and thought it was very cute

Source: www.... soompi. com/forums/index. php?showtopic=147142

"My history teacher told this myth in class. I don't remember where the myth came from, but let's just say it's Greek haha. (I don't know if this topic even goes here...).

When Zeus created human beings, people were stuck two by two, and back to back. It could have been woman + man, or man + man or woman + woman, stuck to each other's back.

One day, the human species did something to anger Zeus. Out of fury, Zeus took his lightening bolt and threw them at the humans which consequently detached them so that they were no longer back to back.

And that's why we, human beings, spend all of our lives trying to find our other half who could be the opposite sex or the same sex as ourselves.

This was my little random moment haha.

Edit: Okay. I've just learned, that it's actually a playwright written by Sophocles during the Ancient Greek era. I'm going to try and find the actual story because I might have some facts wrong.

Edit: It's from Plato's Symposium, Aristophanes's speech on the origin of love and the notion of soulmates.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It think it's an interesting question since many people seem to share the idea of a "perfect other". I believe some might consider it a symptom of a frail ego, but with communication at the very heart of our existence it is only natural to me to seek similar minds. In being human we will to seek an ideal of perfection. Whether or not such a thing exists is purely in the perception of the beholder and how we're willing to define our ideals.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I never bought into the soul mate thing cause I thought what if they passed away before you even get the chance to meet em and be with them? I was thinking that since I had a lot of bad luck back then, but I since dont buy into the soul mate thing even without the bad luck.

What I do buy is that I can get the type of women I want since I dont have high expectations, besides just them having natural great looks and a sexy, womenly manner they let toward me like a mating call of all sorts of ways womenly and sexy. That aint too much since women naturally come equipt to enetrtain and please their would-be mate into mating with them so they will want to be with them or have them their main squeeze.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the Zeus read, it was a trip...

Well, my take on this is that there are "a few" soul mates out there for ya'...

Without having the opportunity to travel to other lands, the inability to connect with every person who has similar interests, the lack of motivation by the individual(s), prevents us from finding our soul mate...

There may be a young lady in Turkey
that has the same interests, passions, temperment, dreams, ambitions and flair for whatever, as I do...but since I will more than likely never travel there, and she may never travel here, finding one another becomes highly improbable....and there may be several of these individuals throughout the world...culture may be an issue at first, but if it's the real deal, the two of will overcome that easily...

So, if and when you find someone that you REALLY connect with, jump on it (pun intended...)
, becasue it may be the closest you come to finding, or the only one you will find in this lifetime...

Good thread...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
When I was young my Grandfather told me to *Wait and find the man who’s rib it took to make you* (the Adam/Eve thing.)
He believed there was one woman for ever man, visa versa, and it was all connected with the whole *union of the soul* starting when Adam gave his rib to make his mate.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
i totally buy into the soul mate thing, i myself have had many relationships but i can honestly say there was only one women who i really thought was the one, my soul mate! every girl since or before never comes close to how this soul mate made me feel and she felt the same, but after a few years we parted but not thru falling out of love it was many factors, the fact remains that i believe there are such people who you may meet that are true soul mates, if you find one well done and keep hold because they only come around once in my sad opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
FYI the story comes for Plato's dialogue The Symposium from a speech by Aristophanes.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Soul mate means this:

1. There is only one soul, the soul of God.
2. This soul has divided in parts.
3. The soul that you have now is just a fraction of your real self, which is a much bigger soul, who, at the same time, in the past, present and the future is other people.
4. Your soul mate is in fact another human which is guided by your true self, or your big soul. These soul mates can be found in the past, today, and in the future.

When you meet a soul mate, you will naturally get attracted to it, since deep down its a part of your real self. They can be the same sex, different sex, it does not matter.

Also you are living both in the past, present and future, as different humans. The big self is only one. When you make love to your soul mate, well in fact, you rediscover who you are.

You might have soul mates in your life, or not, that depends. But soul mate does not equal = love partner necessarily. Your wife/husband might be another soul. Soul mates can be also friends, parents, brothers, etc.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The idea of soul mates just adds to the distruction of the family unit.

leave your wife or husband, go find you soul mate. never get married and have children, unless you find your soul mate. and if you say you did, that means you are easily enough convinced that we can fill you full of all sorts of blind faith propoganda.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

The idea of soul mates just adds to the distruction of the family unit.

leave your wife or husband, go find you soul mate. never get married and have children, unless you find your soul mate.

Well, my reply will only be an "arguement" to your opinion, but I have the time, so here...the institution of marriage is a joke, not too mention the cost of the judicial process of divorce that about half the marriages (guestimate...) out there go through...

So, how about not getting married to someone you "feel" or "think" you are in love with, but rather only make that committment with someone that YOU KNOW is your soul mate...? You would settle...?

As for never having children - what's wrong with NOT contributing to the ever expanding population..? It's kinda ironic that the most fertile people on the planet are the dumbest...

If you subscribe to the idea that there is more than one out there for you, then take the time to search accordingly, as a acommittment of this nature should not just be a gut feeling...everyone will have their own criteria for a soul mate, so I'll leave my opinion out on that one.

If you don't subscribe to that and feel there is only ONE soul mate for you, then hold out until the two of you find one another if you value a life-long relationship that is healthy...while you are waiting, just enjoy it, go out with several different people, possibly find a true connection, though that in of itself does not mean you found the ONE...

If you do not think that a soul mate exists for anyone, good luck...

and if you say you did, that means you are easily enough convinced that we can fill you full of all sorts of blind faith propoganda.

This is a horrible generalization...

content edit!

[edit on 10/19/2008 by chapter29]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
In some respects I agree with you.
The cliche of *Soul Mate* is so glorified and glamorized it’s truly been blown all out of proportion.
You see the couple running through a daisy carpeted sunny field, their arms outstretched, they embrace and kiss ---> Happily ever after’s been achieved one more time.
What you don’t see when the house lights go up and the movies over?
The familiarity that breeds contempt.
The annoying little habits even soul mates suffer through.
The complacency that settles in - even to the best matched people out there.
So Mr. & Mrs. Homemaker are subjected to all this romantic spun candy - and feel like somethings missing in their life.
Their days *a-courtin* are over, real life’s set in, the baby needs changing and the caps off the toothpaste, yet again.
What they don’t realize is they have a *Soul Mate* of the best kind right there beside them.
It’s two people working day in and day out to stay together, make it work, and don't tongue-tangle in the morning before oral hygiene's been tended too.
The Real Soul Mates are the one’s that stick to it - in reality - day in day out.
Make love out of every instance in their life they can without waiting for the little Soul Mate Fairy to come and bop them both on the head wherein they’re instantly filled with blissfulness and *oneness* of the soul...
Because of this misrepresentation of the *soul couple* - in everything from movies, to bathroom cleaner commercials that young couple you see walking down the street holding hands and making goo-goo eyes at each other looks better than life, something you want, something you’ve come to believe is what you deserve.
And sadly a good bunch of people *opt out* of what they’ve allowed to become tedious and mundane in search of this ideal - that‘s about as tangible as the ghost of Saint Valentine.
If a long lasting - faithful - work it out no matter what relationship was glorified more in the media over time you’d see a big change in the *Family Unit* for sure.
Which is exactly why you don’t see it.
The *powers that be* in the USA (at least) don't want long lasting families that stay together and are a *strong unit* within themselves.
But that’s for another post.

Did I ramble? I didn't ramble did I?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You didn't ramble...too much.

You were pretty much spot on...

and don't tongue-tangle in the morning before oral hygiene's been tended too.

Yes, that can be a deal breaker...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There's an old story about a man who was searching everywhere for the perfect woman (e.g. soulmate).

He looked high and he looked low spending much of his time looking for the perfect woman, and letting many opportunities pass him by to be with various companions, thinking to himself "If I just keep looking, I know I'll find her".

Then, one day, after many years he finally found her. But to his surprise, she didn't want him because she was only interested in the perfect man.

I think this little story sums it up pretty good imo.

new topics

top topics

join