It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daniel James, 23, youngest Briton to die at assisted suicide clinic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Daniel James, 23, youngest Briton to die at assisted suicide clinic

www.news.com.au

THE parents of a paralysed 23-year-old rugby player who is believed to be the youngest Briton to take his life at an assisted suicide clinic today defended his decision.

Daniel James died at a Swiss clinic on September 12, an inquest heard this month.

The former England under-16 rugby player was paralysed from the chest down in March last year when a scrum collapsed on top of him, dislocating his spine.

His parents said he had never come to terms with his extreme physical incapacity, that he regarded his shattered body as "a prison'' and repeatedly expressed his wish to die.

Julie and Mark James, from Worcester in central England, issued a statement today saying their son was "an intelligent young man of sound mind'' who was "not prepared to live what he felt was a second-class existence''.

They said he tried "several'' times to kill himself before he "gained his wish''.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
he considers the life "second class". What about all the people in the world who are leaving wonderfully productive lives despite being paralysed or having a disability?

This is the sort of mind set which is pushing us back into the dark ages. If this continues then might as well murder all the disabled people in our society. And to think the family assisted him in his decision to move on....

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 04326

Surely it's his right to do that.

Don't preach, because you have absolutely no idea how painful and eart shattering that may be...

You go on to say mention that many people go on to live productive lives when incapacitated, but many do not...

This guy felt crushed, humiliated and hopeless....

Judge not.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Seeing as how this was his decision, based on his quality of life, I don't believe we really have any say in the matter. Obviously he didn't want to or couldn't adapt to his new way of living. I had to make a painful decision for my mother when she was stricken with brain cancer. I was 27 at the time. Her cancer docs kept trying to give her regiments of chemo and radiation that would have just postponed her death to just a few months later. I chose to bring her home from the hospital, and had a nurse to come by every day to make sure she was comfort. I based this decision on her quality of life.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 04326

You have no right to comment on this guy. Have you any idea what it would be like to be completely paralised?

you have to have your parents or helper wipe your ass, feed you, cloth you, move you, wash you.

Not to mention that you cant do any excercise so biologically you would become depressed just from that factor alone.

Its no wonder he wanted to die, and for you to look down upon this decision as "the mindset of today" and say we might as well kill all disabled people if we carryon like this is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 04326

Wrong, for somebody that "wasn't born" with a disability and acquire the disability later in life is its difficult to cope with the restrictions of that disability.

Now everybody is strong of mind to deal with with this type of life challenges.

It is very wrong to make opinion when it comes to "other people's" needs when you yourself has not experience the same problems.

People have free choices as an adult he made his and it should be respected.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I wouldn't think someone in that state of mind going through that would be fit to make that decision.
Honestly im all for freedom of choice.
But he would have been massively depressed and possibly could have been helped.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
They buy and sell an option either way.
It just means if it doesn't crash they make money as well.
This info means nothing unless you also disclose the amount of call options as well.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The guy has 2 things in common with me, my first two names and the playing rugby. I feel immensely sad that this happened, yet it is his right to choose life or death, it is his life, not anyone else. Saying that, something obviously went wrong with the psychological aspect of recovering from a major injury such as the one he sustained.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 04326

so what you are saying is that you object to people having free will ?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 04326
This is the sort of mind set which is pushing us back into the dark ages. If this continues then might as well murder all the disabled people in our society. And to think the family assisted him in his decision to move on....

No it's this sort of mind set which is pushing us back into the dark ages, where people sit on pedestals judging others and condemning them without having any knowledge or right to condemn.

It was his life, it was his choice. What right do you have to condemn him for his decision ?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Listen, this is a terrible subject, but it needs to be said. Your life, is in fact YOUR life. You own it. In my opinion if you want to die, you have that right. Personally I would try to endure it, but if I felt that it was intolerable, I would want to be able to kill myself. There are situations that suicide is the only viable alternative.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Having gone through a chronic illness from which I thought I would never recover I can completely sympathize with this young man and had even thought similar thoughts myself. However I do believe it is wrong to take your life or any one else's prior to your appointed time; and no your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the God who made you for a specific purpose. You do not have the right to take your life or any other's. That of course doesn't make the decision much easier unfortunately.

What's really scary though is where the whole euthanasia thing is .ing. Hospitals train their doctors and nurses to make judgments on who is worth saving. Some lives are deemed not worth intervening for, based perhaps on age or their perceived usefulness to society. The latter will probably be based on far left criterion. A pastor's life will be considered worthless, but a lawyer's life will be infinitely valuable, something like that.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
However I do believe it is wrong to take your life or any one else's prior to your appointed time

The problem is though, when is your appointed time ? Before modern science & medicine if you got ill it generally meant it was your time and nothing could be done. Now we have means to keep you alive well past your due date & also save you from certain illnesses so does that mean people are cheating you out of your time by keeping you alive longer than you should be ?

It only belongs to the God who made you if you believe in said God to be honest but again that's up for debate as if he didn't want us killing each other & ourselves he would not have given us that ability or thought process

[edit on 18/10/08 by Discotech]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

I really don't feel that the far left is going to be the deciding factor in who is saved and who isn't.

The chance of recovery is the first and foremost concern in deciding who is going to benefit from extraordinary measures to save their life. Someone who is in their 80s is going to be a different situation than someone in their 20s or 30s.the nature of their illness and injuries are also a major factor in the decisions that are made.

That being said it is not up to us to push our religious beliefs on others who are making this decision, many many people have different and even opposing spiritual paths and this decision is up to the individual alone

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

It is a very tough ethical decision. I think it makes sense to withdraw artificial life support if the patient and or his love ones feel that that is best. If there is a chance for recovery though, one should always favor life.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gluetrap

Actually I'm more concerned about society pushing their warped values on the individual and making the Hitlerian decision about who is worthy of life. That is apparently what some of these assisted suicide laws are leading to. Oregon is an example of some the crazy stuff that's going on. Mark my words, pretty soon some hospitals will be in the primary business of snuffing out the life of undesirables, rather than saving lives.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Im going to be the first to say that one has the right to choose with thier free will...

And i am going to have to also say that i want no part of a state/goverment 'assisted suicide facility'...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

this boy could have never been helped...he did what was right and what he felt in his heart. i feel lsorry for his parents who had to live with thier son wanting to die..but they supported him and understood his rights as a human being. i have a daughter and i can't say that if she was in his position i wold allow that to go on. i probaly would try to stop her...but you people can't blame yhe parents...he was suffering and he was ols enough and mentaly capable of making his own discions

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by 04326

he considers the life "second class". What about all the people in the world who are leaving wonderfully productive lives despite being paralysed or having a disability?

Nah. Athletes are different people. I remember this nerdy episode of Star Trek when I got my undergrad degree. Worf wants to die after a debilitating injury, and the arguments rage on, even in the 23rd Century or whatever time they are in...

Missing in the video is Picard's speech about Worf deserving the right to die...

There are certain people who live, and would prefer not to live without that life. Dark ages? I call it enlightenment. This "suicide is evil" mumbo-jumbo must end!

[edit on 13-12-2008 by pluckynoonez]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join