It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future planes, cars may be made of `buckypaper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Future planes, cars may be made of `buckypaper

tech.yahoo.com

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - It's called "buckypaper" and looks a lot like ordinary carbon paper, but don't be fooled by the cute name or flimsy appearance. It could revolutionize the way everything from airplanes to TVs are made.

Buckypaper is 10 times lighter but potentially 500 times stronger than steel when sheets of it are stacked and pressed together to form a composite. Unlike conventional composite materials, though, it conducts electricity like copper or silicon and disperses heat like steel or brass.

"All those things are what a lot of people in nanotechnology have been working toward as sort of Holy Grails," said Wade Adams, a scientist at Rice University.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ap.google.com
www.nanowerk.com

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This is just the Beginning Folks, NanoTech is just now starting to See Fruition. It is Starting to Sound like the Bismuth Layered Material... Super Strong, Conducts Electricity, and acts as it's own Heat Sink... Amazing.. This Combined with some Zero Point Energy Device powering an Electromagnetic Propulsion System, and Bam... Jetson's Time...

tech.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
that could also help with making vehicles more fuel efficient with our crappy combustion engines as well in addition to the added strength

i think i like that idea

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Barathrum

It would, but they will find some way to claim it cannot be used with combustion engines so that oil companies continue to make record profits.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Depending on how cheap it is, I wonder if it can be used to make buildings with? Homes, commercial buildings, etc..

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is old news and maybe new finding. Buckyballs been around for since '85 and haven't seen it used yet. Maybe just now they were able to release new data. Why so long I don't know. I'm sure more is in the works as we dwell on this but when will it become tangible. They make anti-gravity particles too but at a huge energy cost and is time consuming. What's the use to talk about our wishes unless it is practible now. They make sensationlistic claims before true application is even uncovered. I'm kind of skeptical how this will be used in the future.
Polymer and,
History

[edit on 20/10/08 by bDaedal4ever]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
When fashioned into a hat, I wonder how effective the material would be in reducing the effects of alien interference, mind control, and electromagnetic field harassment.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KOGDOG

LOL

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by KOGDOG

Nothing's better than tinfoil man.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Seems like the articles are down now... talk about conspiracy

But if anyone has them on cache that be good to.

join