It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Obama's defeat lead to civil unrest?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Here's the Scenario:

It's election day morning. Obama's lead has strengthened to high double digits across the polls, and everybody - pundits included - are assuming a Democratic Victory.

I think most of you would agree that the scenario up to this point is quite likely.

But what happens if the results come in, and Mccain comes out on top?

So my question is;

Do you think civil unrest across the country is a likely scenario if Obama goes into election day with a clear lead in the polls but fails to win, regardless of whether or not the election itself was rigged?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There will certainly be a lot of people who won't like it, and we'll be bombarded with all kinds of critical analyses about hidden racism, etc., still ingrained in society. That will be more of a bore than the actual election. YAWN!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Writing that post made think of another related question; do you think the 'white supremacist' element of the registered voters, who generally don't participate in polls, could significantly impact the outcome of the election?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by liketoknow

I have to admit, I have had the same question in my head for quite some time now.

Before 9/11 on another conspiracy site that has since become too "tin foil" for my taste (RumorMillNews). A post was made to the effect that it was "part of the plan" to have another US civil war that would also be a war between races (heritage, skin color)

I could easily see this election, IF McCain was the winner, being the catalyst to such an event.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

You are the perfect example of what the media does to people., They want you to be afraid of white people. We are a race of rat like creatures that lurk in the darkness and plot against the enlightened "people of color". The media is out there trying to give people excuses to rage against white people if Obama loses. Its flat out race hate mongering!

Guess what? There are black racist who will come out of the woodwork to vote Obama! Does that bother you? Is the media on every night trying to scare people about the black supremacists who are trying to undermine the McCain campaign?

Common people! Get your heads out of your asses and think for once!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This exact topic was on CNN the other day. It's like they are leaded up to it actually happening. Who knows. I hope not because I live in a very integrated community, and there are definitely some ignorant people here on both sides that would do some stupid stuff.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It matters not which wins... there will be civil unrest/ riots.... I still need that new TV before February'09.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
You mean like if they create a new system, which for the sake of the argument I will code-name "Electoral College", and that overrides the popular vote?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus Calpurnius

You are the perfect example of what the media does to people., They want you to be afraid of white people. We are a race of rat like creatures that lurk in the darkness and plot against the enlightened "people of color". The media is out there trying to give people excuses to rage against white people if Obama loses. Its flat out race hate mongering!

Guess what? There are black racist who will come out of the woodwork to vote Obama! Does that bother you? Is the media on every night trying to scare people about the black supremacists who are trying to undermine the McCain campaign?

Common people! Get your heads out of your asses and think for once!

You seem to have quite spectacularly missed my point. Of course there are racists in every group of society. I'm not even sure what you mean by the media making me afraid of white people, or even influencing this post in some way, but I can assure you that my question is not about color or race.

I'm simply trying to gauge an opinion on what would happen if Obama lost the election with a huge lead.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Marcus Calpurnius

I first didn't realize how much your comments annoyed me, but they really do. Here you are bringing in all this tired rhetoric about being scared of white people and racial media brainwashing, yet it is you who seems to be bringing the issue of color into the forefront of this thread.

Try taking a step back and looking at both sides objectively, or at least stick to the topic if you feel like replying to a thread.

Personally I think (and I base this on nothing) that the election will in some way be a catalyst for the introduction of martial law. That is why I find this topic interesting.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I think we're probably boned any way you look at it.

From what I've seen, I think this may play out 1 of 3 ways.

1. Obama wins, McCain fans riot and marshal law is declared.

2. McCain wins and Obama fans riot and marshal law is declared.

3. The elections are suspended, marshal law is declared, and Bush becomes dictator for life.

In all, pretty depressing

Also, I think that if Obama gets into office, he stands a good chance of getting whacked.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by chickenshoes]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think this is an interesting question, and I don't think it has anything to do with the color of your skin. I know a lot of very avid Obama supporters, and all of them are white folks. I have a good friend who is a black dude and he isn't all that fond of Obama's policies. So I don't think this is a "racial" scenario.

But I can tell you, that if Obama does lose, I fully expect my family, who are the Obama supporters, to participate in some disobedience of one kind or another. They are all mid-western middle class folks, who are staunch democrats. They are not happy with the current president, and very much want Obama to be in the white house.

Now I don't know if my crazy aunt will be out breaking windows and grabbing radio's and toasters, but I wouldn't be surprised to see my cousin do it. It has something to do with the "you have it, I don't, I want some of yours" mentality that they have been fostering lately. Sadly to say he is a physics professor at a Federal University.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
people, people. calm down, as an african american i can assure you i'm not going to "riot" in the streets if obama loses. my anger will be at about the same level when bush won the presidency those 2 times. i'm sure mccain will make sure all demonstrators not be anywhere near his inaugural day festivities, should he happen to win.
that being said, i do fear for obama's safety if he wins. mainly from white supremacists and other unstable individuals who think he's the antichrist.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I generally believe that sometimes people can be apathetic. So much so in fact, that we have powerless to stop what has transpired over the past few months/years.
If people won't get off their behinds to try and prevent all of these recent events what would make anyone think that they would now?

After all American Idol will still be airing after the election.

2000 saw the electoral college arbitrarily dismiss the popular vote. en.wikipedia.org...

What's the difference now.
financial crisis
War
terror
death
destruction
aliens
potatoe's

If we did not get up then, why now?

Besides, if this election was not rigged anyways, someone else "?" would be wiping the floor with the both of them anyway.
Vote for the lesser of 2 evils.
I chose not to vote for either evil.
We will never know the true agenda at play here anyway.

Besides, I hope that if Hussein does loose, people will get off their @$$3$.
At least it's a start against apathy.

[edit on 17/10/2008 by reticledc]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by heather65
people, people. calm down, as an african american i can assure you i'm not going to "riot" in the streets if obama loses.

Well, I'm white, and if Obama loses, I may just about feel like rioting, after what we've been through in the past 8 years

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by chickenshoes

don't riot we'll end up getting blamed by fox news. just engage in some other type of civil disobedience. you'll probably see me there as well.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
I think this is an interesting question, and I don't think it has anything to do with the color of your skin. I know a lot of very avid Obama supporters, and all of them are white folks. I have a good friend who is a black dude and he isn't all that fond of Obama's policies. So I don't think this is a "racial" scenario.

But I can tell you, that if Obama does lose, I fully expect my family, who are the Obama supporters, to participate in some disobedience of one kind or another. They are all mid-western middle class folks, who are staunch democrats. They are not happy with the current president, and very much want Obama to be in the white house.

I fully agree with you here. The issue here goes way beyond race. If my hypothesis became a reality and the protests and demonstrations ensued, I'm sure the racial demographic of the crowd would be similar to that of the US in general.

I think for a lot of people see Obama as far more than a presidential candidate (before I go on, I'd like to point out I'm neither pro Obama or pro Mccain). They see Obama as 'change'.

With the current administrations approval ratings at their lowest ever, the quiet murmurs about conspiracy, vote-rigging, 911 and such are now becoming louder, and even on occasion, filtering off into the media.

From my personal experiences of talking to friends about such matters, topics I bring up that would once have been ridiculed and overlooked without consideration are now being accepted as 'plausible'. This is a huge shift in the general consciousness. People who at one time wouldn't even allow themselves to entertain such ideas are now tuning in to other possibilities that could shatter their current perceptions.

If Mccain comes out with an unexpected victory, and there is even the suggestion of foul play, especially after the 2000 elections, the public backlash could be extreme.

If martial law is coming, then would this not be the perfect vehicle to launch it from?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I have lots of rounds and have already picked out the flatscreen I want a Best Buy so I'm going for a riot win lose or draw.

mikell

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I think your scenario is possible and IMO heres why.

1. Oboma will have a poll lead on election day.
2. Obama fans "some of which" extreme will be irrate if he loses and call foul play. When....
3.The youth no shows at the polls. I dont mean all of them but counting on a single 19 year old kid to get to the polls is iffy. I think they had this issue in the past. I forget the election, may have been Bush Sr.
4. "Bradley effect" right or wrong this will be an election day issue.

So IMO Nov. 3rd Oboma up 3% in the polls and loses by 2%.
3% loss to Bradley, 2% to no shows.

People don't understand, call foul play and "some" take to the streets.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

That's the Idea. At least rioting is doing something. Good job fighting the battle against apathy. Get off the couch and get that flatscreen. Then go sit back on the couch and enjoy the fruits of you labor. YAAAAAAA!!!!!!

The battle only lasts until you become tired of it.

[edit on 17/10/2008 by reticledc]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join