It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alice Springs meteorite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Alice Springs meteorite?

www.abc.net.au

Residents at the remote Wallare Rock Hole Community report hearing a loud bang and feeling the ground shake at around 7:00pm local time.

Alice Springs Police have ruled out an aviation accident, saying authorities have accounted for all aircraft.

An investigation will begin later this morning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but reports are coming in of a meteorite strike in Alice Springs, Australia. More should be known later as this is pretty fresh still.
Police say they will investigate once the sun comes up, i heard it on the radio and found that small article on the ABCsnews site. Seems like a lot of Meteors just lately.
Wonder if anybody was up and saw this or better yet grabbed a pic or footage, however being AS probably not as its not a huge place. If so let us know what you saw.
www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-10-2008 by pazcat]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
There was that one over Washington State last winter. There was a bang and houses shook but to my knowledge there was nothing recovered. "They" said it exploded before impacting the Earth. As with other natural disasters, humans now live almost everywhere and with global communications we hear about these things right away. I think I know someone that lives near there. I wonder if I could look her up.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Thats true and i have been lucky enough to witness some impressive meteors in the past but nothing as big as that, i hope some witnesses come forward or at least someone who was woken up, sounds like it was early evening. On the last radio update they said people saw coloured lights and felt the ground shake.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by pazcat]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
how would a meteorite produce colored lights? the only reason i can think of, is if it burned up different elements upon atmospheric entry, similar to fireworks using different metals to create different colored explosions...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by adrenochrome
how would a meteorite produce colored lights? the only reason i can think of, is if it burned up different elements upon atmospheric entry, similar to fireworks using different metals to create different colored explosions...

Yeah, as meteors burn up the different elements they are made of produce different colours, like you sometimes get a green flame, or blue, or red.

I've seen meteors burn / make green smoke trails, blue, red, a few different colours really, quite impressive if you get a big one, although a big one is probably no bigger than your fist, most meteors you see are no bigger than a grain of sand.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Very cool post. I have only had the opportunity to view one metorite in my lifetime, and it too produced vibrant shades of red and blue and green, flew right over us too, we got a very good look at it! No loud sounds though from that one.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Just a couple of little updates i have found since.

www.abc.net.au/news.....
This ones from the local Alice springs Abc and has a small radio snippet aswell on the page.

www.abc.net.au/am.....
And this one is from another Abc show the AM program.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by pazcat]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Hmm something to do with Pine Gap maybe.....

Well when the investigation's start, im guessing they will find a meteorite crater..

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It would be nice to think that it may of left a crater somewhere if so i hope they find it, there is a lot of nothing out there. Im trying to find some seismic data to maybe compare sonic booms and a possible ground strike, but with little luck everything seems to be of yesterday morning not evening, and to be honest i cant translate the data anyway. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can come along and find out more. And as im heading back to Australia tomorrow i cant scrounge around for a few days.

www.ntnews.com.au

www.smh.com.au

[edit on 18-10-2008 by pazcat]

new topics

top topics

join