It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 97
<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
hahaha! one of the CNBC anchors is saying we are stabilizing the market.

yeah, 1 day of ups in the DOW and 2/3 days of small ups in the nasdaq. yeah total stability.

People seriously need to watch what they say at times.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Dow Jones Industrial Average 6,930.40 4:02pm ET Up 3.91 (0.06%)
NASDAQ Composite 1,371.64 4:13pm ET Up 13.36 (0.98%)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 721.36 4:13pm ET Up 1.76 (0.24%)

All in the Green, but not exactly impressive. Don't know really what to think about this.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Damage control, my friend, see too much bad news is not good for the psyche of the economy nor the Markets.

So the Damage control team is now telling the media that they need to start the reverse psychology to infuse confidence on the markets

Infuse people and investors with a positive outlook for a couple days so people think that everything is just peachy.

Do a few reports concentrating on the goodness and no on the bad.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

sorry to use my own posts as references.... but nobody in the thread seems to be seeing the samr things I am....

i cite the page 91 post, which contains (as a refresher/ or lead in...) ::

[...] Bernanke is doing a 'all stops removed' bailout & 'reform' for
the financial sector....
He deliberately excludes the larger Economy....
His strategies are not intended for the economy, nor the GDP, or the Stock Markets...
He is only interested in the financial industry.

the message he alluded to this morning at the CFR,
was that a 'mechanism' will be found to get full-price valuation for all those
toxic-assets & the other hidden assets on the 20 Primary Dealers off-balance sheets... that are causing 'paper' losses' & freezing up the credit market expansion
...because banks then have insufficient reserve capital.

the Game=Plan is for the financial central banks including the USAs Fed
to gain control of all resources , then install a banker orchestrated Allocation of all global resources...
effectively becoming the world central planners, with sovereign governments are but figureheads in service to the banker cartel. [end]

===================thanks for the edit=================

none of youse get it

someone else post the facts that Geithner disclosed today....
about forcing the world community to pay 2% of their GDP
into the
IMF

then to create another 2 tiers of 'CENTRAL PLANNING'
#1: Global Supervisory Group'
#2 Financial Stability Forum'
all under the Aegis of the USA Fed ....& some other incidental World-Banks

recall i said:

...The Game=Plan is......
the USAs Fed to gain control of al resources,
then install a Banker orchestrated Allocation.....
effectively becoming the world central planners....

the 'resources' are:
control of currencies
control of interest rates
control of allocating to whom, how much, any industry or sector will recieve in growth building collateral/money...

i told youse that Geithner & Bernanke were un-interested in saving the USA economy... only the clout of its financial structure to pressure
the world community into accepting another level of US/UK hegemony

[edit on 11-3-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Do a few reports concentrating on the goodness and no on the bad.

Well I think it was Hx who likes to call a day like today a 'flat' market:

FTSE at close:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/06b69b63c728.png[/atsimg]

DJIA at close:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8ee30fe4d93e.png[/atsimg]

Source

(Sorry Hx, I have a long memory.
)

[Alright, you said ENDING flat... Still looks like a rollercoaster to me.]

Some more ?good? news:

Rich list hit by economic crisis

So is it:

"Take that, corporate agenda Slime-Balls"

or

"There goes all that cash we cockroaches earned for you"

???

PS

reply to post by St Udio

I - and I'm sure plenty of others - took good note of the point you raised back then. It's yet more evidence of bank and finance-related cabals and special interests running the show (-or should I say milking the cow?)

[edit on 11/3/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Oh, I did indeed took very serious your post, as a few pages back from this post you bring back on, I said that I heard Bernanke talking about a new entity of a global banks to take care of the worlds economy and more so of the America one.

I know you remember, I also took the liberty to used this same information in another thread because you just point out exactly what is going on.

While Bernanke keeps fixing the financial with tax payer money nobody is taking the rest of the problems facing the nation very seriously.

Perhaps Obama but for his efforts on spending for the nation he is getting a bad reaction.

To me the Federal Bank and Bernanke gets away with everything he wants and nobody seems to care.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Is This A Depression? Perhaps, But It Depends
www.cbsnews.com...

:snip:

An excerpt published Wednesday from Richard Posner's forthcoming book puts him squarely in the depression camp.

Posner writes: "The word itself is taboo in respectable circles, reflecting a kind of magical thinking: if we don’t call the economic crisis a 'depression,' it can't be one. But no one who has lived through the modest downturns in the American economy of recent decades could think them comparable to the present situation... It is the gravity of the economic downturn, the radicalism of the government's responses, and the pervading sense of crisis that mark what the economy is going through as a depression."

At some point, the answer to a recession vs. depression question becomes a bit academic. If you've lost your house and job and have moved your family into a motel room or a tent city near Sacramento, fine distinctions probably don't matter much.

But to investors and Washington officials, the difference is important. The Dow Jones industrial average is mimicking the rate of decline during the Great Depression, which eventually led to a 90 percent fall; if you think we're in for a repeat, you shouldn't merely exit the market, you should actively bet against it and perhaps buy gold and silver coins (and stash them in a home safe).
It's all good...in two days we've turned the corner...go about yer business citizens...
(Oooppps...my bad...you have no business now...
)

@ P4T:
You got me on the "Roller Coaster" vs being "Flat Theory"...
Sometimes its the not the journey...it's the destination...
Can anyone say Aerosmith?

Chuck Norris for president … of Texas
politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...
Ticker: State could leave the union, actor says

(CNN) – Actor Chuck Norris has his eyes on the presidency, but not the White House.

Norris wrote that he would be interested in becoming the president of Texas, if the state were ever to secede from the Union.

“I may run for president of Texas,” Norris wrote Monday in a column posted at WorldNetDaily. “That need may be a reality sooner than we think. If not me, someone someday may again be running for president of the Lone Star state, if the state of the union continues to turn into the enemy of the state.”

The actor claimed “thousands of cell groups will be united around the country in solidarity over the concerns for our nation” and said that if states decide to secede from the union, that Texas would lead the way.

“Anyone who has been around Texas for any length of time knows exactly what we'd do if the going got rough in America,” Norris wrote. “Let there be no doubt about that.”
Whooo...go chuck...go chuck...

[edit on 3/11/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Thanks for bringing that up and reminding us of how thin is the line between Recession and Depression.

The article said that the markets needs a downgrade of 90% to be considered a Depression well interesting to point out that today in CNBC they were already talking about how the Markets is now down to 70%

That is only 20 points less.

Incredible.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The article said that the markets needs a downgrade of 90% to be considered a Depression well interesting to point out that today in CNBC they were already talking about how the Markets is now down to 70%
Well not exactly 90% to qualify....just a footnote that the last was 90%, compared to what they've lost so far in this debacle...

I'm gonna watch this REAL CLOSE...the 4thQ 1929 - 1stQ 1931 looks almost to a "T" like our Dec 2008 - Mar 2009...and what came after the "Bear Rally" back then...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

In order to understand this one needs to be a Buddhist

I stated before that it is all about debt.
To earn money is to earn debt.
They will control debt.

It is so hollow that it resonates hollow

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I could be wrong, Lurker on your page, but isn't a recession defined as 2 quarters of negative growth. A depression little harder to peg down, but a concenus is 10% shrinkage in gnp over a 12 month period.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

Star 4 U!

The definition is indeed elusive...so I'll go with yers fer now...

Production at the country's factories fell a record 10 percent in January as export partners cut back on orders.
www.cnn.com...
Not exactly complete GDP, but...

US had a contraction of 6.2% in 4thQ 2008 alone (if ya buy that)...watch for 1stQ 2009 numbers...can't be any better for what I've seen...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

well, i honestly & sincerely say thanks to you....

but the Bernanke oratory was merely just a bunch of mush talking which
did not address anything in the way of policies or direction to address the 'crisis'

now this morning ol' Geithner got on the teleprompter to reveal the 'details'
he could not disclose 2 weeks ago after President Obama cued the nation that the Treasury Secretary had 'firm plans' to address the bank rescue and such.....

well Geithner tis morning, 11 March '09, told us that the world community needs to Ante up $500bn yr to finance the WorldBank, the IMF
(from a current cost of only $50bn yr) -thats a 100 fold increase !!!

plus the addition of 2 more layers of global monetary control

Bernanke's spiels are pebbles in the roadway compared to the huge boulders that will divert all nations economies to the whims of the proposed Geithner prorams & structures of global finance manipulation

A newly created Global Supervisory Group on par with the IMF
a new subordinate entity Financial Stability Forum on par with the WorldBank !
all, more-or-less controlled by USA or its allies,
just as the WorldBank always has a USA president

its a bigger picture than just Bernanke's clumsy handling of the financial crisis in the USA banks

thanks all,,

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Thank you my friend, as we know , the great depression far exceeded those parameters, so lets hope it always remains the GREAT one

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by branty

Just remember...it took ~2.5 Yrs back then for it to completely play out, to the "bottom", so, we still have time...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
WOW - A VERY Intersting Blog post

Why has Obama neglected Treasury?
posted at 12:55 pm on March 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey
Send to a Friend | Share on Facebook | printer-friendly

President Barack Obama’s handy excuse for all sorts of goofs and missteps is that he’s too busy working on fixing the economy. In order to do that, one might expect that Obama would concentrate on building his economic team at the Department of the Treasury, where most of those efforts would originate and get managed. Instead, as noted earlier today, phones go unanswered at Treasury — and our allies and trading partners have begun complaining about the lack of effort in the White House.

Reports have floated around that “dozens” of positions remain unfilled at Treasury, most recently in the New York Times’ profile of Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner:

Compounding the strain on the Treasury, almost all the top posts beneath Mr. Geithner are still vacant. Though he has hired about 50 senior advisers — about half the number he hopes to recruit — the White House has become so worried about potential tax problems and other issues in the backgrounds of candidates that it has nominated only a handful of people.

From that, we know that more than four dozen positions remain unfilled — positions that Geithner has to fill himself. But what about positions that the White House has to appoint? I researched that question this morning, and found the list of positions at Treasury that require White House appointment and Senate confirmation. It’s quite a list:

* Secretary
* Deputy Secretary
* Under Secretary — Domestic Finance
* Under Secretary — International Affairs
* Under Secretary — Terrorism and Financial Intelligence
* Assistant Secretary — Economic Policy
* Assistant Secretary — Financial Markets
* Assistant Secretary (Deputy Under Secretary) — International Affairs
* Assistant Secretary (Deputy Under Secretary) — Legislative Affairs
* Assistant Secretary — Management and Chief Financial Officer
* Assistant Secretary — Public Affairs/Director — Policy Planning
* Assistant Secretary — Tax Policy
* Chief Counsel — Internal Revenue Service/Assistant General Counsel for Tax
* Commissioner — Internal Revenue (five-year terms of office)
* General Counsel
* Inspector General
* Inspector General — Tax Administration
* Treasurer — United States

Full Article

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Failed or Cancelled Sovereign Bond Auctions

Bonds caught between supply surge and deflation By David Oakley and Michael Mackenzie
November 13 2008 19:56 | Last updated: November 13 2008 19:56

For any government looking to raise money in the capital markets in the next few months, there was an ominous development in Germany this week.

A German 10-year bond auction failed – something more or less unheard of until this year – as cash-strapped banks and investors snubbed the government offering.

It is a clear sign of straitened times when a benchmark bond in one of the most liquid markets in the world cannot attract enough bids to reach its target amount... Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

Source

SPAIN July 11, 08...Spain has suspended an auction of sovereign bonds as investors take fright over the country's property crash and accelerating slide into economic crisis.

The treasury pulled an expected sale of 15-year bonds after probing the market informally, saying it would wait until credit conditions began to calm down. "We are not facing financing problems. We placed a successful three-year note on Wednesday," said a spokesman

Source

HUNGARY , which has been forced to turn to the International Monetary Fund to shore up its crisis-hit economy, also scrapped an auction for short-term government bills after only attracting Ft5bn ($22.5m) in a Ft40bn offering.

Analysts said AUSTRIA had dropped plans to launch a bond next week because investors wanted bigger premiums to offset the credit worries and fears over lending by its banks to eastern Europe. The Austrian Federal Financing Agency did not give a reason for the move.

Spain, another triple A rated country, and BELGIUM have cancelled bond offerings in the past month because of the turbulence, with investors demanding much higher interest rates than debt managers had bargained for.

Source

While I have no links for them, INDIA, NZ, JAPAN, CZECH REPUBLIC and BRAZIL canceled auctions this month too, wonder when we will enter this group....

CORRECTED! Japanese investors sold a net
331.7 billion yen ($3.26 billion) of foreign bonds last week,
capital flows data released by Japan's Ministry of Finance showed
on Thursday
Source

[edit on 3/11/09 by redhatty]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
S&P 500 -3.40 717.00 3/11 9:14pm
Fair Value 719.40 3/10 10:08pm
Difference* -2.40

NASDAQ -5.50 1119.50 3/11 8:21pm
Fair Value 1112.56 3/10 10:08pm
Difference* +6.94

Dow Jones -23.00 6891.00 3/11 9:11pm
---
NZSE 50 2,491.00 9:24PM ET -6.50 (-0.26%)
Nikkei 225 7,300.49 9:22PM ET -75.63 (-1.03%)
Shanghai Composite 2,125.768 9:31PM ET -13.257 (-0.62%)
Straits Times 1,500.41 9:44PM ET -5.10 (-0.34%)
KOSPI INDEX 1,122.58 -4.93 -0.44% 21:17
---
Gold $909.88
Oil $42.94
---

Freddie to Tap $30.8 Billion in Aid as Losses Deepen (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

March 11 (Bloomberg) -- Freddie Mac, the mortgage-finance company thrust into a leading role in President Barack Obama’s homeowner rescue plans, said it will tap an additional $30.8 billion in federal aid after loan holdings and other assets deteriorated.

More capital may be needed, and the $200 billion in total financing pledged by the U.S. Treasury may not be enough, the McLean, Virginia-based company said today in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing. Freddie, which owns or guarantees more than 20 percent of U.S. home loans, posted a wider fourth- quarter net loss of $23.9 billion, or $7.37 a share.

“These numbers are so mind-boggling,” said Paul Miller, an analyst at FBR Capital Markets in Arlington, Virginia. “You can’t even begin to analyze it.”

Freddie and larger competitor Fannie Mae, which together account for about $5.2 trillion of the $12 trillion U.S. residential mortgage market, are part of Obama’s plan to help 9 million Americans avoid foreclosure amid the worst housing slump since the Great Depression.
Well...I wasn't to far off...I mentioned this last week?

What comes around...comes around again...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
In connection with yesterday's Citigroup-based wonder-rally:

Obama govt conflict of interest?

You couldn't make this stuff up.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

WOW...so glad "they" got everything straight now...

Think I'll go plop every cent I have in Citi Stock!!!

This is the lamist thing I've ever heard of, but, stanger things have happened...

---
S&P 500 -5.00 715.50 3/11 9:48pm
Fair Value 718.36 3/11 9:57pm
Difference* -2.86

NASDAQ -5.50 1119.50 3/11 8:21pm
Fair Value 1127.54 3/11 9:57pm
Difference* -8.04

Dow Jones -37.00 6877.00 3/11 9:48pm
---
Yep...the markets buyin' it "lock, stock and barrel"...

---
Ted Spread 1.09760 +.0048
10Y / 2Y Spread 1.90820 +.0197
---
Nikkei 225 7,292.56 9:46PM ET -83.56 (-1.13%)
Seoul Composite 1,116.83 9:46PM ET -10.68 (-0.95%)

top topics

<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join