It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 93
<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

yes but all this are related articles that help people understand why the markets are behaving the way they are.

What is making this thread so successful is the ability to upday no only the markets but any information pertaining the markets as a tool for education.

The more the information the educational value increases.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
KD is on at 2:30 Central time, tune in here:

www.blogtalkradio.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Citigroup CEO says bank operating at a profit

Citigroup CEO Vikram Vikram Pandit said late Monday in a memo to employees and clients that the bank had an operating profit of $8.3 billion through February — its best performance since the third quarter of 2007, when the credit crisis first triggered a wave of losses in the industry.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The market jumped because of Citigroup??? There are two things that smell like fish (as we say down on the bayou in Louisiana) and this smells like fish!!

There is no %&*$# way Citigroup is profitable...........I see this as a staged event.........by you know who!!

They think we are all just that stupid.........I guess most of us are

[edit on 10-3-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Bank operating at a profit

But the share price?Up 36% which is only to $1.43

Citigroup, the now Penny stock, made 8 billion dollars?

In March 07 it was $50

[edit on 10-3-2009 by CaptainCaveMan]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

We are all just a bunch of dumb %*^*!!

You watch the news tonight from the press room.........This is a staged event!!! Flat out!!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

So if they where actually turning a profit why in the hell did we give them even more bail out monies? That should be the real question here.Let us look to the foreign central banks and see who has gotten a jump on there pre open stats. Last time they "wouldn't" reveal who was getting money till months later; I noticed that the royal bank of Scotland had gotten a huge influx. It's gone now but they where later revealed to be one of the banks that got tarp money funneled to them.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Just thought I would throw in this little gem from Bloomberg

March 10 (Bloomberg) -- Stocks around the world staged the biggest rally of the year after Citigroup Inc. said it was having its best quarter since 2007, spurring speculation the worst of the banking crisis is over.Treasuries and gold fell.

and...

If we’re not at a bottom, we’re a pretty close,” said Michael Binger, Minneapolis-based fund manager at Thrivent Asset Management, which oversees about $60 billion. “It’s time to start putting money into stocks. Stocks are cheap and worldwide stimulus will eventually help lift earnings.”

I don't agree with this article but what do I know....

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I new here, but was it already mentioned that the Citibank that exists today is a different company from the Citibank of old?

It created a new entity to absorb the toxic assets and the brand you can buy is what is left...So it shouldn't be too hard to see why Citibank is prepared to start growing again.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ag2000

Well, well, well, we still have to see but it looks like we might be looking at the start of a rally. We will have to watch it for a few days, but I think this is the rally that everybody was predicting before the big crash.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and the confidence is being restored. I just heard the kicker with Citi is that they are about to wipe out the tax payers by asking the gov to convert preferred shares to common stock.

Of course there is noway to tell if they are profitable or not because they won't let us look at their books, I smell manipulation.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
so when to they release the news that it was a typo, and actually a loss of 8 billion? I mean, it's a lot more believable than Citi magically making 8 billion, when banks in a lot less trouble, like Wells Fargo, who's currently trading at just under 10 times the market value of Citi, isn't earning anything close.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Dow 6,926.49 4:05pm ET Up 379.44 (5.80%)
NASDAQ 1,358.28 4:42pm ET Up 89.64 (7.07%)
S&P 500 719.60 4:42pm ET Up 43.07 (6.37%)

Some pretty impressive gains all and all.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well you never know as last week the reason the markets rally on a Wednesday was because China said that they were going to get a stimulus to help their economy, that day the markets took that with a rally.

We know that everything went down when China the next day said that they didn't needed a stimulus after all.

Now Citi that was dying until today said that they make profits?

A leaked memo? so perhaps the money they are counting as "profits" is actually the money from the last bail out they took.

Like many said this smells fishy but hey these companies has been operating on dreams and illusions of better days, perhaps the "leaked memo" was supposed to be for the year 2020 it just got out too early.

So now that they made a "profit" are they going to pay out the money they took from the tax payer?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well you never know as last week the reason the markets rally on a Wednesday was because China said that they were going to get a stimulus to help their economy, that day the markets took that with a rally.

We know that everything went down when China the next day said that they didn't needed a stimulus after all.

Now Citi that was dying until today said that they make profits?

A leaked memo? so perhaps the money they are counting as "profits" is actually the money from the last bail out they took.

Like many said this smells fishy but hey these companies has been operating on dreams and illusions of better days, perhaps the "leaked memo" was supposed to be for the year 2020 it just got out too early.

So now that they made a "profit" are they going to pay out the money they took from the tax payer?

The last Citi bailout didn't actually infuse any money at all. All they did was change the classification of stock the govt owned from 'Preferred shares' to 'Common Stock'. Difference being that Preferred shares are recorded as debt and therefore affect their required collateral levels.

AIG is really the huge sucking sound you hear on Wall Street.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

Yes we all know about AIG, now how in he hell Citi made profits? does anybody have an idea or I am just to confuse to see it.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Nope...no news of Gold Accounting yet...we REALLY need one!!!

If/when what they did today sinks in...it might be "The Last Hurrah"... before sliding down "The Slippery Slope"...

This is the most obvious case of manipulation ever witnessed by the moronic human race...

Time to kill the big banks?
money.cnn.com...

Too big to fail? 5 biggest banks are 'dead men walking'
news.yahoo.com...

U.S. weighs further steps for Citi if needed: report
www.reuters.com...

Pandit Says Citigroup Having Best Quarter Since 2007 (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

U.S. Stocks Rally as Citigroup's Profit Outlook Drives Bank Shares Higher
www.bloomberg.com...

...classic bait & switch!

Put a advertisement in the paper, to intice us to a sale price on a object...

...and when the doors open, the items nowhere to be found, but, "We have this, which is real similar ..."...

If people would finally get it, this would be the event to crush whatever confidence was left in the system...plain as the nose on yer face to me!
:mad
---
Dow Jones Industrial Average 6,926.49 4:05pm ET 379.44 (5.80%)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 719.60 4:57pm ET 43.07 (6.37%)
NASDAQ Composite 1,358.28 4:57pm ET 89.64 (7.07%)
---
Gold $897.02
Oil $45.57
---
Citigroup Inc. C (NYSE) +0.40 +38.10%
Volume:1,081,783,079

Over 1 Billion Shares Traded?!?!?!
For a Whopping 40 Cents!?!?!
---
CFS Bancorp, Inc. 3.38 4:00PM ET 1.63 (93.14%) 42,976 ???
---

[edit on 3/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Cool, (not) bigger government wants to create a new agency to look out for investors. One of these guys is from my state of IL. Wonder if Obama owes him a favor.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by johnny2127

Yes we all know about AIG, now how in he hell Citi made profits? does anybody have an idea or I am just to confuse to see it.

Govt backed their debt offerings which made them very popular for investors. They sold Salomon Smith Barney.

My guess would be that they cleaned out their business model as much as possible (still sucks) and then had a ton of one time profits from sales of assets and what not.

One good qtr means nothing. If we fast forward a year and they have strung them together then we have something to really puzzle over.

We should hope they are profitable. If so, the taxpayer gets paid back.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I bet if we opened up Citi's books it wouldn't show profits.

That needs to be the first thing to be done, all banks getting bailout money need to have their entire accounting department open and evaluated.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Good start...if "we" were the ones opening them...like we're supposed to trust "them' to "inform" us of the real Value???

Lying Tax Cheating Jerks would/could say anything they wanted...we'd never know...

They killed a lot of Shorts today...bet they're rolling on the floor...
Suckas!

[edit on 3/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Guys, you need to realize what that profit even was.

It was an OPERATING PROFIT. Thats BEFORE taxes and before compared to their asset values. So all that toxic debt they have isn't figured into this number.

So no, they are not profitable.

new topics

top topics

<< 90  91  92    94  95  96 >>

join