It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Must be the IMF is lurking about here...

Maybe they saw this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...and as for going down the tubes...they are being greased as we speak...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

WASHINGTON: In a bleaker assessment than those of most private forecasters, the World Bank predicted Sunday that the global economy would shrink in 2009 for the first time since World War II.

The bank did not provide a specific estimate, but bank officials said its economists would be publishing one in the next several weeks.

The World Bank also warned that global trade would contract for the first time since 1982, and that the decline would be the biggest since the 1930s.

www.iht.com...

The paragraph above is very alarming.

the global economy would shrink in 2009 for the first time since World War II

WWII was what pulled the world out of Depression.

It seems now, we are in a situation where the economy has fallen back into a PREWWII sate.

Id say its all but official, The world is in Depression.

Although I dont believe anyone will come out and publically state it, because its such a significant word, that will be used as the reasoning for many bad things.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Quote from that last article:

Deep VIOLENT Depression - I cannot emphasize this enough . . . and I have already taken heat for using the "V" word. But today I am prepared to kick it up a notch, and urge you to prepare for what is unfolding. Did we think we would have seen the extent of the violence during the Civil War, when we killed each other on our own land? Did we ever think we would have seen the violence that came out of the Depression? Hitler came to power when people lost hope in the government and financial markets. Can it happen again? We said it could never happen then, so now that we are in far worse shape than 1930, why couldn’t something much worse come out of this crisis?

100,000 Protesters - Does the government have any idea how angry people are, how betrayed they feel? It will be years before our economy recovers from the devastation wreaked by bankers. In the meantime, the possibility of something awful happening is very real. We’re one swing of a garda baton, one cracked head, away from chaos. - Gene Kerrigan

This statement could have been written about the United States, England, France, China or just about any country in the world. But for now, it comes straight from The Irish Independent. You didn’t see it on CNN, CNBC or even in any of the American papers. You had better prepare for it, because it will shut down banks, supermarkets and the very fabric of what we are. If you have not built up a food pantry, stored cash and gold, and armed yourself, you might want to consider doing it now.

It seems every page of this thread out-doom-and-glooms the last. Surely when it reaches this level either something has to give pretty soon (i.e. within weeks at most) such that the entire system actually collapses or somehow something bolsters & shores up confidence to such an extent we actually start to move out of the crisis.

I may be wrong, but it just seems to defy the laws of physics (albeit metaphorically) to go on teetering at the edge of the precipice, edging ever closer.

Either way, something HUGE has got to happen.

If we believe the problem - reaction - solution scenario, whereby the PTB have pushed us to the brink in order to get people to beg for their 'new' (but long-prepared) 'solution', we should keep our eyes on the G20 to do something immense, something radical. (Cue moves towards something like the end of physical money and/or regional, or even a global currency.)

Oh, what a happy day that would be when Bilderberg gets its way.

NWO let me kiss your feet.

Second thoughts, I think I'd rather live in poverty and keep my freedom.

Thanks PTB. Call again some other time...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
NZSE 50 2,474.365 8:06PM ET 3.325 (0.13%)
Nikkei 225 7,241.02 8:07PM ET 67.92 (0.95%)
Seoul Composite 1,070.46 8:06PM ET 15.43 (1.46%)
---
Gold $939.71...holding steady
Oil $46.66...rising
---
S&P 500 +4.90 692.70 3/8 8:16pm
Fair Value 682.93 3/8 12:10am
Difference* +9.77

NASDAQ -6.50 1076.50 3/6 9:09am
Fair Value 1064.71 3/8 12:10am
Difference* +11.79

Dow Jones +36.00 6710.00 3/8 8:14pm

[edit on 3/8/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Some happy news would be so nice, where's the articles about the skittle pooping unicorn that everyone is looking for? Can one be found??? I doubt it

UK Collapse Prediction from Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley predicts economic collapse worse than depression

Morgan Stanley’s UK equity strategist Graham Secker painted a bleak economic picture for the United Kingdom. In his morning forecast, Mr. Secker warned that UK profits could fall by 60% in the current downturn - a worse performance than the great depression of the 1930s.

“We now forecast UK profits [will] fall by 60% across 2008 and 2009. While this sounds a rather draconian and hyperbolic downgrade, we believe it is realistic and incorporates the big losses that have come to light in the banking sector as well as a sharp drop in commodity prices (oil was $100 last September).

Our forecasts assume that the banks sector makes around a £20bn loss in 2008 and 2009 and that the insurance sector makes no profit in 2008. The profile is much less severe if we strip out the banks – for example, our model suggests profits for the market ex-financials will fall 24% in 2009 post 15% growth in 2008.

“At this point we are also officially introducing a top-down 2010 earnings per share and dividends per share growth forecast of 0%. While this could be perceived as “fence-sitting”, we think it accurately reflects both our uncertainties about the future and an underlying bias not to want to invest in assets based on the expectation of any economic or profit growth next year.

“If our expectation of a 60% peak-to-trough decline in UK profits is correct, this would mark an even worse outcome than that seen in the early 1930s when our data suggests profits fell by around 57%. However we do not consider this forecast unreasonable – prior to this downturn, we saw the biggest 5-year increase in corporate profits in the history of our data and hence it is not unreasonable to also expect the biggest bust.

Note: UK stocks have already dropped 65% from their peak

New Fears as Credit Markets Tighten Up

By LIZ RAPPAPORT and SERENA NG

The credit markets are seizing up again amid new anxieties about the global financial system.

The fear and uncertainty that sent stocks to 12-year lows is now roiling the market for corporate bonds and loans, which have given back much of the gains they chalked up earlier in the year.

Short-term credit markets are still performing better than they did last year thanks to government programs to buy commercial paper and guarantee short-term debt. But some risk premiums are widening. The spread on junk bonds, for example, has climbed to 19 percentage points over that of comparable Treasury bonds, up from 16 percentage points in February. And Libor, the London interbank offered rate, a common benchmark interest rate, has crept up over the past weeks, from 1.1% in mid-January to 1.3% on Friday, reflecting banks' concerns about being paid back for even short-term loans. It is still well below its peak of 4.8% last October.
[New Fears as Credit Markets Tighten Up]

This time around, the economy is slipping deeper into a recession, and bond investors worry the government's repeated modifications to its financial-rescue packages are undermining the very foundations of bond investing: the right of creditors to claim their assets first if a borrower defaults. Without this assurance, bonds of even the most stalwart institutions are much riskier to own.

After what seemed like the beginning of a thawing of debt markets early in the year, sentiment has deteriorated, analysts say. The markets remain open only to the strongest companies. A rally in U.S. Treasury bonds last week reflects another bout of flight-to-quality buying. Junk bonds have lost more than 7% in returns in the past month, while high-grade bonds have lost more than 2%. Both drops are relatively large considering these markets had stabilized over the new year.

Part of the problem is that investors are still waiting for key details from the government about its plans to shore up U.S. banks and unfreeze the credit markets. After launching a $1 trillion program to kick-start consumer lending last week, the Obama administration is considering creating multiple investment funds to purchase bad loans and other distressed assets. The intent of the funds is to stabilize the prices of good assets and restore investor confidence.

Thanks to the Bank it's a crisis; in the eurozone it's a total catastrophe

China's port container volume posts continuous drop in Feb.

States considering dropping death penalty due to cost

Iran test-fires new missile

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
R is watching us

IMF, World Bank, UN & BIS aren't clever enough to sell their program of 'One World Government'. Epic failure will ensue. Thanks for the comedy, this comedy is at a global scale. Don't kid yourselves, we know..

Circle jerks like yourself will be standing in the soup lines. We'll have the final laugh..

That impeding war you have planned is not a good idea. Paperwork & phone taps have you in a precarious situation.. ROLL the dice, you will lose.. winks.

community.marketwatch.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Worse than depression?
What is worse than depression?

You know, actually, "depression" is a psychological term.

The strategical term is "lack of initiative".

Worst than depression is therefore: defeat!

Who won?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

As it is we have seen industrial production collapse in every region. The drops in January were: Japan (-31pc), Korea (-26pc), Russia (-16pc), Brazil (-15pc), Italy (-14pc), Germany (-12pc). Falls that took two years from late 1929 have been compressed into five months.
Well that's fairly close to my examination...

I put it at ~1.25 Yrs compressed into ~2.5 Mths...

I swear someones looking over my shoulder!!!

---
S&P 500 +3.30 691.10 3/8 8:41pm
Difference* +8.17

NASDAQ +5.25 1081.75 3/8 8:38pm
Difference* +17.04

Dow Jones +28.00 6702.00 3/8 8:25pm

BTW: Dang...getting ton's of "hits" on my Ron Paul & Mexico Martial Law Youtubes from last nite!

Mike Huckabee's jammin' on Fox...Jerry Reed Bandit stuff! LoL

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
If we believe the problem - reaction - solution scenario, whereby the PTB have pushed us to the brink in order to get people to beg for their 'new' (but long-prepared) 'solution', we should keep our eyes on the G20 to do something immense, something radical. (Cue moves towards something like the end of physical money and/or regional, or even a global currency.)

You read my mind! Agreed, with coordinated G20 meetings and summits over the next 3 weeks..., and the meeting in London maybe they have something up thier sleeve?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
S&P 500 +2.60 690.40 3/8 9:02pm
Difference* +7.47

NASDAQ +6.50 1083.00 3/8 8:50pm
Difference* +18.29

Dow Jones +14.00 6688.00 3/8 8:57pm

I'm starting to see a downward trend here...

Straits Times 1,497.79 9:19PM ET -15.33 (-1.01%)

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

"I think the best thing that could probably happen to General Motors, in my view, is they go into Chapter 11, they reorganize, they renegotiate ... the union-management contracts and come out of it a stronger, better, leaner, more competitive automotive industry," McCain told "FOX News Sunday."

If he honestly thinks that GM will be better off going into Chapter 11 than getting government welfare...er, "bridge loans," then he's on crack. Politicians are the only ones who have expressed the notion that people would actually buy cars from a bankrupt company. The problem isn't prices or quality, it's consumer confidence -- a nearly nation-wide cloud of stigma against the Detroit automotive corporations. Chapter 11 isn't going to solve that problem.

Pull the plug. They're dead.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Mark-to-Market Accounting: Practices and Implications

March 12, 2009, 10:00 a.m., 2128 Rayburn House Office Building
Capital Markets

Kanjorski Convenes Hearing to Address Problems Facing Mark-to-Market Accounting

Washington, DC – Congressman Paul E. Kanjorski (D-PA), Chairman of the House Financial Services Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance, and Government Sponsored Enterprises, today announced that the Subcommittee will hold a hearing to examine the mark-to-market accounting rules that many contend have exacerbated the current troubles in the financial industry and in the broader economy. The standard requires companies to value assets they hold at current market values. For assets that are frozen and have a diminished current market value but may recover value in the future, the standard has proven problematic. Companies are then forced to write-down billions in assets, which can lead to further write-downs elsewhere.

“Illiquid markets have resulted in great difficulty in valuing sizable assets. Some have therefore complained about fair value accounting and sought to eliminate it. While companies need stability, investors still need accurate information. We therefore cannot allow for fantasy accounting that wishes away bad assets by merely concealing them,” said Chairman Kanjorski. “As a result, we will seek at this hearing to engage in a constructive, thoughtful conversation with a diverse range of viewpoints aimed at identifying fair-minded, incremental, and achievable fixes to this problem. In short, I want to find a way – within the existing independent standard-setting structure – to still provide investors with the information needed to make effective decisions without continuing to impose undue burdens on financial institutions. Each of our anticipated witnesses will have the opportunity to contribute as we all pursue consensus solutions together to this thorny, contentious issue.”

Source

Rutroh

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Cool...we get to TRY to buy houses at 1931 levels???

That's about where I put our current drop!!! (adjust fer inflation of course LoL)

@ theWCH:
At this rate I'd have MORE confidence in a Bankrupt Co than what they have going on now...

---
NZSE 50 2,469.11 9:21PM ET -1.93 (-0.08%)
Nikkei 225 7,169.91 9:22PM ET -3.19 (-0.04%)
Straits Times 1,497.22 9:42PM ET -15.90 (-1.05%)
Taiwan Weighted 4,638.70 9:22PM ET -14.93 (-0.32%)
Jakarta Composite 1,286.693 Mar 6 -1.381 (-0.11%)

Gold $938.85
Oil $46.53

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

That is what happens if they quit giving bailouts though. Th companies file Chapter 11, reorganize and they can move to a different state if they want too.

Which Is what I see happening, the Unions are being completely unreasonable, they are all about to lose their jobs because they won't take a cut in benefits or pensions.

They will probably move to a non-union state and screw the unions. I would when it cost me $134 an hour to employ somebody that isn't cost effective, and is bad business practice.

GM, Chrysler, Ford they all got themselves into this problem by offering multimillion dollar pension packages to the upper management hoping they would die off in a few years. That crossed with union pension packages that include things like 2 years fully paid severance pay if they are let go.

Something has to give. When I was going to school, I was taught that there are three fundamentals when it come to business.

Quality, Speed, and Price. - Pick two.

If it is Quality and you make it fast it isn't going to be cheep. If it is Quality and cheep it isn't going to be fast, If it is made fast and cheep it isn't going to be quality.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I hadn't thought about it that way.

I can't see any way that they aren't screwed, short of moving out of Detroit, changing their names, changing their logos, and hoping that nobody notices. I've even lost hope that Ford can pull through.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Well...it ain't much...but it's a start...doomed to failure...

Canadian Auto Workers Agree to Freeze Wages at GM, Extend Contract to 2012
www.bloomberg.com...

BTW: I just luv my 2009 thread...instant gratification when trying to cross-refernces headlines for inclusions!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
$50 Trillion Wiped Out, Asia Hit Hardest

The ADB report estimates capital losses last year in Asia, excluding Japan, at $9,625bn, or 109 per cent of gross domestic product, compared with a global average of 80-85 per cent of GDP. For Latin America, the study estimates 2008 losses at $2,119bn, or 57 per cent of GDP.

Mr Kuroda says: “I am afraid things may get worse before they get better. However, I remain confident that Asia will be one of the first regions to emerge from it, and it will emerge stronger than ever before.”

Small excerpts, see full article for more

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Now ya just know I'm cross-referencing these right?

...and backing that thread up on my HD...just in case...

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

just a side note to this...i am a smoker (yeah, i'm not proud of it) and i was just at the store on sat. 3/7/09, and they told me that cigerettes will be going up next week by 10 BUCKS A CARTON!! reason...federal tax.
i think i'll buy some lollypops for my oral fixation. this is about a 25% increase in the price!!!

Just an aside to your aside, I address this here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
This is an effective way around this tax.
Ok... I'm going back to quietly lurking and smoking

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join