It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 764
<< 761  762  763    765  766  767 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Does reek of BS. i mean the massive selloffs off the stockmarkets in Early August (there was bad news then, but nothing for markets to drop into bear markets that bad week). Then the gold explolsion and now the sell offs. Just seems so bloody fishy.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Where is all that gold money going?
War industry?

And now seems they are buying it...

edit on 23-9-2011 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Someone liquidated their PM holdings it would seem.. PM's have had a nice long rally though, nothing more than a small correction.

As long as oil keeps falling, I'm happy.. I cry everytime I fill my Jeep, I'd appreciate a break!
edit on 9/23/2011 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Someone liquidated their PM holdings it would seem.. PM's have had a nice long rally though, nothing more than a small correction.

A small correction.
Silver down 25% in 2 days.

It seems to me big banks are selling PMs to find money to fund their bankrupt butts.

Debt for fiscal year starting October 1 2010 till September 22 2011 : 1.11 trillion or 3.1259 billion/day
Debt for calendar year 2011 till September 22 : 728.86 billion. 2.74 billion/day
Current debt as of September 22 : 14.726 trillion
Current debt ceiling : 14.694 trillion (first phase) 15.194 trillion (second phase) 16.694 trillion (final phase)

At the current average rate of 2.933 billion in new debt/day (or about 9.46$ in new debt per day for every citizen in America...and that is just federal) it will take about 159 days before reaching the second phase of the debt ceiling hike, aka March 1, 2012 or so.

US GDP : 15.03 trillion
US debt : 14.726 trillion

Total debt to GDP ratio : 97.97%

Deficit spending is going down. Good...
edit on 23-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
A small correction.
Silver down 25% in 2 days.

It seems to me big banks are selling PMs to find money to fund their bankrupt butts.

Case Closed: CME Hikes Gold, Silver, Copper Margins

And there you have it: CME just hiked gold margins by 21%, silver by 16% and copper by 18%. Mystery solved. - Source

Gold Liquidations Open Thread
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 09/23/2011 16:44 -0400

Update: Yep - it was a leak of a margin hike as just confirmed. Which may very well mean nobody actually had to liquidate, just the herd thundered, as it always does, in the wrong diraction. Expect gold to actually rise on this news.

Everyone knew they were coming... Just not when. Now that the gold liquidation frenzy has struck we still don't know much if anything: who was it, why, and where did the money go? Some rumors have it as a bank in Central, Eastern Europe unwinding massive PM positions, which if true is paradoxically bullish for gold and silver as reported previously, as it means the already tight liquidity situation in Europe is about to come to a head, possibly as soon as this weekend. Others speculate it was a plain vanilla satisfaction of collateral requirements by a big funds who may or may not be liquidating and who have sizable gold positions. Or, the simplest explanation, was it simply an expectation (and leak) of a gold margin hike? For all these questions and more, as well as to vent over anything and everything, use the following open thread. - Link

CME head-fake on leaked information.

It's a big club and you ain't in it. - George Carlin

Congratulations if you bought today's 1628 bottom

Cheers!
edit on 23-9-2011 by OBE1 because: Typo: 1728

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

Well now that's out of the way...
Lets see how high it will go this time... Although I suspect we may see some more of these as others liquidate their PM's to stay in the game just little longer.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Lehman Weekend Redux?

SKY SOURCES : G20 MINISTERS PREPARING FOR GREEK DEFAULT

Doom we can believe in!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Not to imply that yesterday's bottom was necessarily thee bottom of this correction , but I believe this is a reasonable range to begin averaging back in. We could still see a bit of residual selling on Monday, but the majority of undercapitalized specs were probably called-out by yesterday's EOD settlement...casualties of the precipitous 2 day decline.

Friday's 1628 low fell within the technical pivot range of 1620-1643. Let's see if that area holds again on Monday.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

Seems like PM's lost a large percentage for a relatively small Margin Hike, consider back in April the Margin Hike was 68% and silver fell 30%. Seems to me that makes Silver today a good buy, it's correction can't continue to much longer if at all.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Seems like PM's lost a large percentage for a relatively small Margin Hike, consider back in April the Margin Hike was 68% and silver fell 30%. Seems to me that makes Silver today a good buy, it's correction can't continue to much longer if at all.

Hey RP. I was posting in regard to the 21% increase in Gold margins. In the context of the dramatic downside volatility last week, I don't think the margin hikes were unreasonable but I do question the origins of that volatility and the violent over-reaction to an FOMC statement that should have been Gold neutral at best. I think we may have just witnessed the largest coordinated operation by western nations since the allied invasion of Normandy...exacerbated by the coordinated shorting efforts of Fed-agent bullion banks front-running yesterday's CME announcement on leaked information.

Unfortunately Silver is linked to the performance of general equities and the business cycle which isn't looking very spiffy at the moment. In the immediate-term I expect to see further downside in US equities along with a concomitant drag on Silver prices that should persist until the next round of balance sheet expanding, unorthodox, unsterilized monetization to be conducted under the giuse of whatever novel acronym they choose to give it. I'm reading about a multi-trillion dollar EU stick-save being crafted this weekend by the G-20...can the US Fed be far behind ?

Cheers bud !

edit on 24-9-2011 by OBE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
They can shake the cocktail as much as they want. There simply isn't enough vermouth inside to make a decent martini

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think this one sums it up pretty well...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
And the blame game starts,

World markets in freefall

In a panic move, investors are relying on the Dollar and its flexibility in the face of chaos

Investors are moving out of stocks and investing in the US dollar, writes Brendan Conway in The Wall Street Journal. He explains some of the other defining factors in the latest crash:

online.wsj.com...

So the blame is been moved around between US Bernanke inability to "create hope" China problems with "manufacturing" and European Banks "weakness"

“A weak reading on manufacturing in China contributed to the slowdown fears. Adding to the grim mood was a lack of appreciable progress in containing Europe’s debt crisis, which has weighed on markets for months”

Also they blame is falling on the "Aussie dollar", the easter bunny and Santa ( just joking)

World Bank president Robert Zoellick demanded the major economies take decisive action. ”Europe, Japan, and the United States must act to address their big economic problems before they become bigger problems for the rest of the world,”

Zoellick is calling the major economies "irresponsible" but what I will call them is "corrupted"

UK Prime Minister David Cameron warned that the world is nearly “staring down the barrel”

Do I smell austerity, austerity and more austerity worst than in Greece.

The effect of the Japanese earthquake, high oil and fuel prices is creating a drag on growth. But fundamentally we are still facing the aftermath of the world financial bust and economic collapse in 2008.”

These people are trying to put the blame on anything but themselves as word leasers

www.crikey.com.au...
edit on 24-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
On the plus side, have any of you noticed the price of gas dropping in recent days? $3.30 by me, down from $3.50 like a week ago.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

They keep saying "economics" while everyone knows it's "politics"

Who will be the first to say it openly?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
France Resets The Rumormill: "No Plan To Recapitalize Banks" ... Until Tomorrow

From Reuters: "French banks are solid and can face any risk from their exposure to Greek sovereign debt, the head of the Bank of France, Christian Noyer, told a French newspaper, adding that there was no secret plan in place to recapitalise them."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. If they do indeed not recapitalize them, sorry but all the big banks in France will go under. And that will not be allowed. Not by a long shot.

Noyer added that if banks expressed the need for it, or in the case of an "extraordinary event", they could appeal to a public support mechanism created in 2008.

The French government set up a plan that year that made 360 billion euros available to banks, 40 billion of which would go toward strengthening their capital base and 320 billion of which would help them refinance via a public entity called the SFEF.

Of course.
edit on 25-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

France will also have to answer for what it did in Libya...
Just to mention it.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
reply to post by Vitchilo

France will also have to answer for what it did in Libya...
Just to mention it.

Maybe a little OffTopic...but a Financial and Economic Collapse of the Western World,something we are heading torwards,is not the worst that will/could happen...If you think Terror Attacks (the real ones anyway) were bad,wait until we are on our Knees and unable to defend ourselves after the big Crash...

I think there are many Nations who are waiting for a Chance like this...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Repost from the GM Apocalypse Dow thread.

On top of whatever other ABC gubmn't agencies are cruising ATS forums, prepare to be scanned by Federal Reserve street crawlers.

Here Comes FIATtackWatch: Ben "Big Brother" Bernanke Goes Watergate, Prepares To Eavesdrop On Everything Mentioning The Fed

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Bye bye EFSF.

S&P Reminds Europe Of Its Toxic Catch 22, Warns EFSF Expansion Will Lead To More Sovereign Downgrades, Rendering EFSF Itself Useless

Finally, little by little, the fog of toddler-like euphoria over any and every most recent European bailout plan is starting to lift, this time with the S&P finally speaking up and reminding everyone of what they already know: namely that an expansion of that now-daily deux ex machina, the EFSF, will "potentially trigger credit rating downgrades in the region, a top Standard & Poor's official warned. David Beers, the head of S&P's sovereign rating group, said it is still too soon to know how European policymakers will boost the European Financial Stability Facility, how effective that will be and its possible credit implications....But he said the various alternatives could have "potential credit implications in different ways," including for leading euro zone countries such as France and Germany." Get that? As Zero Hedge said back on July 21, the European bailout Catch 22 is now once again front and center, namely that any expansion in the EFSF will lead to a downgrade in one of the two Eurocore countries, France or Germany, and should France get cut from AAA (which it will), the entire burden of footing the European bailout bill will fall on Germany. And if Germany is also downgraded to AA, kiss your SPV CDO goodbye, and with it Europe.

The vote on it in Germany is thursday. If it doesn't pass, the euro can kiss it's butt goodbye.

Also, the german parliament could kick Merkel out due to this vote... even if it's improbable.

new topics

top topics

<< 761  762  763    765  766  767 >>

join