It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 740
<< 737  738  739    741  742  743 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
In Switzerland, so I've been told, an ordinary sandwich costs 9 Swiss Francs. That's about 10 times more than in Belgrade.
And there's plenty, plenty African prostitutes in the streets for half or third that price...

Explanation is in "demand-offer" concept?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
the bottom line is NO MATER HOW LONG and SUCCESSFUL they are at playing KICK THE CAN DOWN THE ROAD....EVERY MONETARTY SYSTEM known to MAN has it's FLAWS.
I want some people to read this and understand something regarding our monetary system and other options for monetary system and how they ALL have limitations

That's right ....debt based fiat currency issued by Central banks will lead to PERMANENT DEPRESSION as amount owed (indebted) exceeds amount of new debt that can be taken on to grow (GDP).

fiat currency issued by CONGRESS will always end in HYPERINFLATION because congress ....will always print in exchange for re-election. so yes there will be zero debt but the currency itself will IMPLODE much faster than in the fed's hands because the politican's will inflate to get re-elected. history shows this CLEARLY.

And finally GOLD standard issued currency by Politicans over time gets debased ...as the pressure to get re-elected leads kings and congress to (slowly) erode the amount of gold in currency so that an expansion inflation of policy can occur to the currency hyperinflates. GOLD standard issues currency by central banks probably has the longest shelf life of monetary system's but gradually the currency goes off the gold standard and central bank credit is hyperfinflated so that the debt growth eventually becomes such an overhang and there is not sufficient income to service debt growth AND grow new debt enough to get out of permanent depression.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Japan's Nikkei down 2%... South Korea's KOSPI down 4%...

KRX Pres. Kim: When S. Korean mkt "stabilizes" short selling ban will be lifted.

Good luck with that. Short selling ban won't stabilize squat.... as proven many times in history.

Europe should be messy too when it opens.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Is the people gonna DIE?

Seriously how worried should I be? Compared with the usual doom level?

I mean I expect the end at any moment like the rest of yuo. But I'm starting to think that maybe...this might be it?

Partygirl,

Has no stocks and would't know what they look like if I did have one.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Wow europe taking a dive today:
Royal Bank Of Scotland currently down 11%
DAX down 5%
CAC down 5%
FTSE down 3%
I wonder what tomorrow will bring when the US stock market opens.
edit on 5-9-2011 by SpaceMonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
In America everything is peachy
is a holiday today, so lets celebrate, after all the gurus will plan something special for tomorrow so everything is back to normal.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys
DAX down 5%
CAC down 5%
FTSE down 3%

DAX almost down 6% (now at -5,6%...it was at -5,9% a few seconds ago...)

And they are trying desperately to stop Gold from hitting 1900$

Edit: Ok,who the Hell is intervening now?
edit on 5-9-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys
DAX down 5%
CAC down 5%
FTSE down 3%

DAX almost down 6% (now at -5,6%...it was at -5,9% a few seconds ago...)

And they are trying desperately to stop Gold from hitting 1900$

Edit: Ok,who the Hell is intervening now?
edit on 5-9-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

To late gold at 19 already....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
To late gold at 19 already....

The next gold train will be leaving next week. Gold is scheduled for correction this Friday. Expect gold price to go down for buying opportunity.
China’s SGE to raise gold, silver margin requirements from Sep 9

GET PHYSICAL over this weekend before US Federal Budget (Sep 12 2011).

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is a pract-kick-all advice:

Sell hats
Buy boots

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Great predictions in here over the past few days. I thought Vitchilos' post at the bottom of the last page was an absolute classic, too.

Here's the MSM trying to catch up:

Stock markets have continued the slide they began late last week as fears over Italian and Spanish debts have reasserted themselves.

European markets dropped 5% in Monday trading, led by more big falls in bank shares.

Market borrowing costs for Italy and Spain have begun to creep up again, despite the European Central Bank's decision to buy up their debts.

It also emerged that European banks may have been shifting cash to the US.

Frankfurt's Dax index ended the day 5.3% lower, while the Paris Cac 40 fell 4.7% and the FTSE 100 a comparatively modest 3.6% - its second-biggest fall this year.

The German market dropped below the low point that it reached during the sharp sell-off in early August...

Bank shares have taken the brunt of the latest stock market sell-off.

Royal Bank of Scotland fell 12.3%, Deutsche Bank 8.9% and Societe Generale 8.6%.

Most major banks in the US and Europe have lost about half of their value over the last six months.

Fears began to mount again that the eurozone may not be able to contain its debt crisis, and a government default could in turn lead to a European banking crisis...

*yawn*

...Meanwhile, evidence emerged that some analysts suggest shows European banks have been transferring large amounts of cash across the Atlantic in a bid to escape an emerging European banking crisis.

Data released by the US Federal Reserve on Friday indicated that unnamed foreign banks transferred cash into the country's banking system over the summer, while separate data from the ECB that shows that European banks have been withdrawing their cash from the European banking system...

Source

I'd say the PPT is gunna be working overtime tomorrow.

Can you see the chart in your mind's eye? "Pump it baby, pump it..."

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

For some reason I believe that our gurus in the Markets still have some tricks under their sleeves, I expect something but it will not be so drastically, remember we are in pre election year, you know how it works, sugar coat the mess until is too late

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

I doubt gold will go down much. I found details of the margin raises on another site, and they're only being raised a few percent.

www.brecorder.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hollywood can't hold a candle to this mother of all cliffhangers. If it wasn't for all the countless tens (nay hundreds) of millions of ordinary folks whose financial security - present and future - is on the line, I'd say it's time to stock up on the popcorn, bigtime. But while the shenanigans are entertaining, the reality is going to mean hunger and utter desperation one of these days. It already does for a great many people. I just wish the nonchalant banksters who've frittered away so much of the entire world's wealth could see the elderly lady I recently heard about who lost her (stable) job due to the crisis, and now sits alone in her apartment suffering from unending depression while her relatives try to make a living in another country far from where she lives. To me it epitomises what the big boys never grasp: the wealth they have squandered in their mad schemes (aka esoteric financial vehicles) was nothing less than the hard-earned savings of your average Joe.

And if it all disappears in the blink of an eye just think how many will be in that elderly lady's position. The true story will be played out in homes, not in boardrooms. We're staring tragedy in the face.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Well I can not deny that things are going bad when one of the best employers in the nation would no be able to pay pensions, UPS, US postal service is having their own problems also, but we know that the government and tax payer will bail those out.

If big companies like UPS that still pay meaningful wages and benefits is going down, I can only guess the rest.

Sad.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Anyone looked at the futures tonight, I looked at the ES and it looked nasty.

E-Mini S&P 500 Futures Contract

That looks like 30 handles down since Friday's lockup.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Swiss Franc Collapses 7% - Swiss National Bank to Fix CHF to EUR and Debase Currency

Just some important Quotes.For the Full Article,go to the Link above

Currency markets have seen massive volatility this morning after the Swiss National Bank decision to fix the Swiss franc to the euro.
[...]
Then just before 0900 hours GMT came the news that the Swiss National Bank has decided to fix the country's exchange rate at 1.20 Swiss francs per euro. The SNB indicated it would buy an unlimited amount of euros regardless of the risk to maintain that value.

In a matter of minutes, gold fell 3% from the high of $1,921.15 to an inter day low of $1,862.72. It then recovered as quickly and surged back to over $1,912/oz.
[...]
The SNB announced the currency fix because of what it called "the current massive overvaluation of the Swiss franc."

It said it will "no longer tolerate" an exchange rate below the minimum rate of 1.20 francs, which it said is still high.
[...]

Lets see how long those shots last...looking at Gold...not very long
Until Switzerland is out of Ammo too

Edit: From the Comments on the Article,it seems this is a very desperate Move?

Edit: From a just posted Article (Guest Post),it seems the SNB just killed the CHF as the last Currency Save Haven?

Guest Post: "With Immediate Effect"

Holy Red Screen, Batman! If you haven’t seen the news, the Swiss National Bank has just announced that it is putting a ceiling on the franc’s appreciation against the euro… effectively abandoning its economic sovereignty and putting its future in the hands of woefully corrupt and incompetent bureaucrats.

On the news, the franc fell off a cliff, dropping almost 10% INSTANTLY. Gold priced in Swiss francs jumped from 1497 to 1620 per troy ounce, all in about 45 seconds.
[...]
The Swiss government has basically told the world that they will print as much money as it takes, and buy up as much crap sovereign debt as they can, to competitively devalue the currency.

This essentially puts Switzerland in the same sinking boat as Italy, Greece, and Portugal… with one key difference: Switzerland has 0% interest rates.

In other words, you can now borrow in francs at 0% and buy government-backed euro garbage yielding 5%, 10%, 30%…. with absolutely no downside currency risk.

Can someone with more experience please tell me WTF is going on?
edit on 6-9-2011 by Shenon because: last Edit...i promise nothing

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Sorry for Double-Post,but that important me thinks. Just found a Comment on ZeroHedge which might me important to some of us...

Tue, 09/06/2011 - 08:24 | Snidley Whipsnae
Shanghai raised margin rates... So there are multiple factors at work (as usual)... but not all is reported...

"SHANGHAI (Commodity Online) : China’s largest Gold exchange, The Shanghai Gold Exchange will raise trading limits and margin requirements on its gold and Silver forward contracts on Sept. 9 to prevent excessive volatility.

In a statement, SGC said it will temporarily raise trade margins and daily trading limits for both its gold and silver forward contracts ahead of a long weekend to allow traders more latitude to adjust to overseas price movements.
Chinese exchanges are closed Sept 10-12 for the Mid-Autumn Festival.
Trading margins for the gold forward contract, Au(T+D) , will be raised starting Sept 9 to 13 percent from 12 percent, while the daily circuit breaker would be lifted to 10 percent from 9 percent.
The Silver Gold forward contract, Ag(T+D) , will also see its trading margin raised by one percentage point to 16 percent, while daily movement will be raised to 12 percent, from 10 percent.
The SGE said the collateral and daily price limits for both contracts would revert back to their pre-holiday levels on Sept. 14 if those limits were not breached on the first day of market re-opening on Sept 13."

Shanghai Gold Exchange Hikes Gold & Silver Margins Again on Forward Contracts

edit on 6-9-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Whoa. What just happened to gold? Dropped $40 in 15 minutes.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Whoa. What just happened to gold? Dropped $40 in 15 minutes.

No clue,but whatever it was,it didn´t work long,its already going up again, it seems...

Edit:...or not. There is no Reason whatsover for Gold to go down right now.

edit on 6-9-2011 by Shenon because: grammar

edit on 6-9-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 737  738  739    741  742  743 >>

join