It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 74
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
deleverging is the common word used and as said in a previous post, that is what is happening now...simply...paying off debt. and this is why it seems like a money hole right now. until that is done, i agree that this downturn will continue until the private capital people start buying. but they are waiting for everything to get flushed out of the market.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by branty

Did any banks fail yesterday , i saw nothing of it

One did Northeast/Freedom bank of Georgia
Press release

GA banks have been a regular in the failed bank fridays

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

OK. Thanks. I appreciate your explanation.

It's just that I like to see all those bail outs as nothing more than a smoke curtain and I wonder what is really behind that. Because it looks pretty unreal.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
OK. Thanks. I appreciate your explanation.

It's just that I like to see all those bail outs as nothing more than a smoke curtain and I wonder what is really behind that. Because it looks pretty unreal.

You're Welcome

/tinfoil on

I *think* those bailouts were the means to prevent an "ahead of schedule" war - world war style.

When people who bought our debt and debt instruments realized that they bought "junk paper" somewhere in the halls of DC TSHTF

By pumping that $$ into the banks - which VERY QUICKLY went to mostly foreign banks holding that junk paper - the US managed to survive a little longer

NO ONE in the G20 wants a nuclear war - they know that Mutually assured Destruction is NOT the solution, but every country OTHER than the US would LOVE to have our natural resources and see the US go the way of the Dodo.

I really believe that the US has been screwing the rest of the world for a long time, and we got called on it - but that is just MHO

/tinfoil off

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
A MUST READ! Excellent summary of where we are & even some of why

Random Musings On The End Of The American Experiment
Bob O'Brien's Sanity Check Blog

I think the defining moment for me was when Bernanke responded to the question from Congress, as to whether the American people (and their elected representatives in Congress) would be told to whom all their tax dollars have been given or lent. That single word summed it up perfectly for me: "No."

Any illusions that the money trust in the US, that collection of bankers and hedge fund managers and industrialists who are the beneficiaries of the systematic looting of the Treasury under the current "emergency" measures, is going to do anything other than precisely whatever it likes, or is going to report to those being looted, was dispelled at that moment. Likewise, nobody has been able to articulate why the massive swindle at AIG continues to be subsidized by our tax dollars - but again, no reporting on where those dollars are going will be forthcoming.

Basically, the gloves are off and the banking establishment - the for-profit cartel of private bankers that is the Federal Reserve - refuses the most basic explanations of where our, and the next several generations' retirements, are going.

Just won't talk. Nope. Shhhhh. It's a secret.

So AIG sells insurance for which it has no collateral, thinly disguising it as credit default swaps, to those with no financial interest in the things being insured (which is illegal if insurance), and you and I get to pay those who bought the swaps and are now collecting big on the destruction of the market and the American way of life. Not a mention of simply making swaps illegal and calling them what they are - illegal insurance, which should be null and void. Nope. Instead, we get to pay out hundreds of billions, to Goldman and the Saudis and whomever else is fortunate enough to be a counterparty - but we can't know to whom the billions are being paid. Again. That's a secret.

Full Article

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I offer these links for your reading (dis) pleasure - I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but there is interesting information in them...

www.guardian.co.uk...

georgewashington2.blogspot.com...

not sure if you will be able to read this without joining the group - so let me know -k?

groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

You can read the group without having to sign up...link works just fine.

Thanks...lots of reading to do

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Random Musings On The End Of The American Experiment
www.thesanitycheck.com...

:snip:

Their contempt for you is manifest in every action now, every day, as the looting moves out into the open. Oh, sure, there's plenty of hand wringing and table pounding by supposedly concerned politicians and the occasional journalist, however the point is your money is being systematically stolen, and you can't do anything to stop it. Game over.

I used to believe it was an information gap. That if I only articulated the problem using the right words, in the right forum, that exposure would be sufficient to drive those entrusted with protecting us to do their job. For a while I believed that inaction was a function of ignorance of the true issues, and that if only the correct explanation was put forth, that then a lightbulb would go off in the collective Congressional head, and the problem would be corrected.

Now I know better. Patrick's site, DeepCapture.com, is read by every major news outlet on a regular basis, as is this site. It's not that the info isn't knowable or known. It's that nothing will ever be done to change it; not by those with the apparent power to do so. Because even that power is an illusion. As evidenced by the single word response to a demand for the most basic and obvious form of transparency in the largest landgrab of national wealth in history:

"No."

:snip:

So as you watch the value of your home decline by 60%, and your portfolio decline by at least that amount, and watch as we move from recession into depression (the jobless rate, BTW, is a joke, as it is far above 8% - reality is that we are closing in on 20%, likely to go more like to 25% or higher over the next year), consider that there have been plenty of voices calling this as it is. All along. It's simply that it isn't in the money trust's interests that those voices be heard, or remembered.
Well...it all looks pretty cut & dried from this viewpoint..."Game Over"

For some reason, as soon as I heard those terms "CDS/CDO" and researched it, I knew it was a very bad thing.

How can they insure risk, in a system others have no actual exposure to, with no assets to actually cover the insurance?

[edit on 3/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This just made me sorta' sad and sick to read because it is very clear in it's finality and made "sense" which scares me as well.

Up until yesterday and after 20 years of being a "serious" investor,I am postponing my plans of buying a property/barn in NY state to convert to a second home.

I went to an organic veggie gardening seminar this am (mind you,I can't keep silk plants looking wholesome...) and figure at this point,any currency I might still be left with will come in handy to tie onto tomato cages in hopes of distracting birds and/or chopped up into mulch.

Can we get a do-over???

[edit on 7-3-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Not to infer anything or give advice, but, maybe the investment you mention might not be a bad idea.

I'd rather have a farm out in the middle of nuttin' when TSHTF, than be smack dab in the middle of Chaos-City, trying to get out of the way of Veggie Riots...just my thoughts...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

here you go....

while trying to respond to this irishchic post
my
PC was attacked by 'Bloodhound PDF3'

the path was: \Device\hardisckVolume2\programfilesAdobe\acrobat7.0reader\Acrord32.exe

ATS...are you telling us...the ATS site is immune???

[edit on 7-3-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Darlin'...I already have a big ranch in the middle of nowhere.

Wanted to re-claim an old barn into a second living structure so I could spend more time with large family there and thought it'd be an interesting way to spend a few years,I'm not a stranger to construction work.

Felt that in a small way,I might be preserving "something" so my grandkids could see that sometimes,"new" doesn't always mean "better..."
Just postponed until I see where all the dust settles or explodes.

If anything,I need to be more "connected" but your advice is certainly appreciated,I just am trying to minimize/maximize sorta' at the same time.

Invest in tangible vs. the markets right now.

Oh my...what is this "attack" issue above about,I am new to all this?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

When I first saw that ICE headline, I ALMOST felt a slight relief pass over me...then reality set in when I read the american experiment article...CDS/CDO isn't going anywhere...it's just out in the daylight now, where everyone can see the theft in plain sight...once again..."Game Over"...

[edit on 3/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

You might want to ask that question in BBQ.

I'd say the more people act on what they know about the current crisis, the better.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I see the Texas now...

Sounds like yer gettin' yer head screwed on right/tight now ...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Here's one to cross post on the Depression Validated Thread Hx3!!!

Bread Lines Seen in California

- Many say a depression doesn't have to be great, that the economy can sink into a milder depression. The Salvation Army says it's happening now, and in San Diego County, people are standing in line outside a Salvation Army waiting for donated bread.

Salvation Army director of communications Suzi Woodruff Lacey said they are seeing people from all walks of life: "white collar, blue collar, people who have lost their jobs, people who are in danger of losing their homes."

Bread lines were regularly seen in the 1930s during the Great Depression, when unemployment peaked at more than 25 percent and the stock market lost 90 percent of its value. Today, California's unemployment rate hit 8.4 percent.

Video at Source

And a Special weekend Ticker from the tickerguy

[edit on 3/7/09 by redhatty]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Karl is not making me feel warm and fuzzy. We had some bills that were due on Friday. I told the wife we will talk about paying them after monday. She asked why, we had a discussion and she agreed that we should pull all but the minimums out for a short time to see how it pans out.

[edit on 7-3-2009 by elston]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Oh yeah, how bout this?

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

All this news is depressing. There is nothing but doom and gloom.

To bad their isn't stock in that it would be worth about 500 a share.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
People like this are not helping the real information.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join