It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 731
<< 728  729  730    732  733  734 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manawydan
reply to post by pause4thought

I was wondering that too not too long ago in a different thread. It sure seems volatile enough to warrant a temporary suspension should push come to shove. On the other hand something like that has a very negative psychological impact and almost ensures that things will go further down before up.

Indeed. Suspending the markets is a sure way to panic people even more... not a good thing to do...

Bernanke's speech at 2.15PM... circuit breakers don't work after 2.30PM... so the market better have what it wants or it's gonna fun to watch.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Any suggestions what he might have up his sleeve? (Other than a wet handkerchief.)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

Any suggestions what he might have up his sleeve? (Other than a wet handkerchief.)

If it's not unlimited printing, it's gonna be ugly.

Probably will say that it'll be some kind of ``new, unseen, unparalleled in history`` intervention in the market that will save us all... of course that will be believed by the markets for a while... then they gonna realize it's all the same BS and it's gonna go down...

Anything Ben will do is just DELAYING the problem... nothing will be fixed, nothing will change, it'll just be more printing and more accounting tricks.

Anyway from what I'm seeing, this is UNSEEN volatility in all markets... unseen in YEARS... probably DECADES... and maybe even EVER...
edit on 9-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

So how long before the DOW hits 5000?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Wouldn't unlimited printing be just as bad or worse in mid to long term? I'd expect gold to sky-rocket vs. the USD in that case. Or am I wrong?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

So how long before the DOW hits 5000?

Seriously, it could happen. Worst case scenario, DOW 5000 by the end of the month.

Originally posted by Manawydan

Wouldn't unlimited printing be just as bad or worse in mid to long term? I'd expect gold to sky-rocket vs. the USD in that case. Or am I wrong?

You are very right. Unlimited printing is insanity... and very very very bad ANYTIME you do it.

Germany is getting cleaned... -7.25% and falling FAST....

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Manawydan

Greenspan's idiotic suggestion to wriggle out of this crisis by simply printing money will totally alienate the Chinese, get the dollar truly dumped as the reserve currency. In truth, there really are no solutions left to resolve this crisis.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
And now people are selling dollars...

Treasury yields rise as safe-haven flows reverse

U.S. Treasury prices sank on Tuesday, sending yields higher as U.S. stock index futures pointed to a higher opening for Wall Street. The yield on 2-year U.S. Treasury notes rose around 2 basis points to 0.29%, according to FactSet Research data, while the yield on the 10-year note rose 7 basis points to around 2.40%. The 30-year T-bond yield rose 5 basis points to 3.71%.

Start of a trend...

I never seen such volatility... DIJA futures back in the red...
edit on 9-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

You are very right. Unlimited printing is insanity... and very very very bad ANYTIME you do it.

You said it.

Two and a half years ago:

It's just straight-forward, down-to-earth economics.

edit on 9/8/11 by pause4thought because: fixed code

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Germany truly is getting cleaned. If it were up to me, judging by the graph so far, I'd press the "suspend" button right about now. -7.10% just now.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Oh no -

FTSE 4795.26 down 273.69 -5.40%

Source

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

And now it is -0.13%.

Must have been a computer glitch

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

But its so volitile its now back inn positive territory, quite amazing how its bouncing around

FTSE 5,072.74 +3.79 (0.07%) 12:35am GMT

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath & cofffeesniffer

Well I guess we can all go home, then.

All's well in the world

edit on 9/8/11 by pause4thought because: link fixed

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I'm not worried, it will be what it will be and pooping ya pants aint gonna help very much

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

On another tack: do you think anyone made any money in the last few hours?..

(Not that these things could be manipulated.)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I have only been watching the FTSE but yes its hard to imagin such huge swings where nobody wins or loses. Im sure some peeps have had huge gains, just a matter of hitting the sell/buy button at the right time, insider trading and manipulation is rife imho

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

Maybe someone will post some volume figures for the FTSE index over the last few hours. It will be worth watching the same for the DOW.

On the other hand, maybe investors' concerns were either imaginary, or they have been solved via a behind-the scenes wonder plan.

Anyone got a picture of Bernanke and/or Jean-Claude Trichet, President of the ECB sporting a large red 'S' on their undergarment?

"It is the worst crisis since World War II and it could have been the worst crisis since World War I if leaders hadn't taken the important decisions," ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet said with French radio station Europe 1, defending the bank's decision to further intervene on bond markets.

Trichet didn't directly confirm that the ECB has been buying up the bonds of Italy and Spain, saying only that his banks "is in the secondary market" for eurozone bonds and that it would release the amounts invested on Monday, as it does every week.

The ECB head also indicated that his bank still sees the main responsibility for fighting the debt crisis with eurozone governments and not the central bank.

"I won't say" how long the ECB will buy bonds on the secondary market, Trichet said. "What we expect is that the governments do what we consider to be their job."

He said eurozone countries needed to implement recently taken decisions to allow their bailout fund to buy government bonds on the open market "as rapidly as possible."

Italy and Spain, meanwhile, have to deliver on their promises to cut their budgets as the central bank has demanded, Trichet said.

Despite the ECB's reluctance to take a central role in fighting the debt crisis, analysts have warned that it may not be easy for the bank to halt its bond-buying program once the eurozone bailout fund has been equipped with its new powers.

They caution that the euro440 billion European Financial Stability Facility does not have enough money to intervene effectively on secondary markets to help large countries like Italy and Spain, and that divisions among countries, which all have to sign off on intervention, could delay any necessary action.

The head of Germany's Free Democrats, the junior partner in Chancellor Angela Merkel's coalition criticized the ECB action, warning that it is not the bank's position to get involved.

"The central bank must remain impartial," said Christian Lindner, 32.

He called for European leaders to avoid knee-jerk reactions that make governments look helpless.

"The markets smell fear and react with speculation," Lindner said.

Source

Maybe Mr. Trichet needs to cover up that funny vest he seems to be sporting. We'll know later today whether Mr. Bernanke will follow suit.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
$2.3 trillion in investor wealth *poof*

The VIX index up matching 2009 levels.

Stinulus: soon as today...
www.bloomberg.com...

Gold cleared 1750-
edit on 9-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
And DJIA is up over 1% at the open - surprise surprise. Anybody think this can hold? Dead cat bounce?

new topics

top topics

<< 728  729  730    732  733  734 >>

join