It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 715
<< 712  713  714    716  717  718 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Smart-money knew that QE.2 was already priced-in, and that the market was approaching exhaustion. They lurked in the shadows, waiting for the not-so-smart money (NSSM) to buy-up this morning's QE.2 verification.

The spike at the Comex open represents the not-so-smart money about to get fleeced on the regurgitation of old news. The steep sell-off from the $1383 high represents the smart-money booking profits as we head into the weekend...taking every additional penny they could muster from the NSSM.

After the Comex close, Gold immediately headed south in the Globex access market to test the days low - $1364-ish. A bounce here, and a 50% retrace to the $1374-ish level by 17:15 ET would be bullish. Otherwise, today could mark the beginning of the next opportunity for new money to enter Gold at lower prices.

Watch the battle at $1364 here.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

So when can we expect the next market crash or next recession
will it happen this year or next year? on the charts i can see the could go up to 12,000?

So whats your take.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

When a currency is being systematically destroyed, capital seeks refuge in, and/or chases, any asset class that is "perceived" to offer a reasonable store of value - precious metals, the commodities complex, even general equities (not to mention low yield treasuries, but that's a "hole" other topic). I suspect stocks have been supported in large part by fed leakage, and mutual fund accumulation. Problem here...mutual fund cash flows are signaling that the institutions are essentially fully invested (tapped-out). I have to assume that the lion's share of the heavy lifting will shift towards the fed (QE.2).

Ok, so that was my feeble attempt to identify the buyers, but in market transactions, for every buyer, there's a seller...right? Given the fragile nature of our economic environment, it may be even more important to identify the sellers.

So who's dumping ?

Insider Selling To Buying: 2,341 To 1

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 10/05/2010

Sorry kids, we just report the news... as ugly as they may be. After last week saw an insider selling to buying ratio of 1,411 to 1, this week the ratio has nearly doubled, hitting a ridiculous 2,341 to 1. And while Wall Street's liars and CNBC's clowns will have you throw all your money into "leading" techs like Oracle and Google, insiders in these names sold a combined $200 million in stock in the last week alone (following Oracle insider sales of $223 million in the prior week). Insiders can. not. wait. to. get. out. fast. enough. This Fed-induced rally is nothing short of a godsend for each and every corporate executive.

Full Text

To me that looks like a major vote of no confidence by corporate executives, and their employees, in the future earnings capability of their own companies. To determine how the profits from these sales being reallocated, look no further than precious metals, the commodities index, and emerging markets indices

When is the next crash ? I'm not sure. Inflation concerns can continue to drive nominal stock values, until investments reach the point of diminishing returns against a rapidly declining currency...in this case, the USD.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific AUS. It's really difficult sometimes, but I try to abide by the adage that says top calling is a fools game. I also believe that "nothing is more useless than a prediction...once it comes true"

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Good to see the quality of the thread is being maintained (having checked back a few pages).

How about some good news? -

Citigroup profit at $2.2bn as bad loan provisions fall

Shares in Citigroup jumped more than 3% after the third largest US bank posted strong profits for the third quarter.

Citi made $2.2bn (£1.4bn) between July and September, above analysts' forecasts and much higher than the $101m profit for the same period last year.

The Wall Street giant, still 12%-owned by the US government after bailouts, cut its provisions for bad debts...

Meantime, below the headline figures, prospects are not so rosy -

...But revenues for the quarter were down almost 6% at $20.7bn.

The revenues were hit by poor performance at the bank's bond and credit derivatives trading business, during a three month period in which markets sold off sharply...

...Citi's shares opened 3.1% up, sparking a jump in the stock prices of rival banks.

Share prices among big US banks fell heavily last week amid fresh concerns about firms' exposure to the troubled US housing market.

"Financials have tried to weather the storm from the last couple of days, today helped by Citigroup," said Steve Goldman, strategist at US-based broker Weeden & Co.

However Matt McCormick, fund manager at Bahl & Gaynor Investment, said he was concerned about Citi's fall in revenues.

"It's a problem for all the banks now. They have trouble raising revenues," he said.

"Reducing loan loss reserves is not something you can do indefinitely. Eventually, they'll get to the point where they'll say, 'we can't keep going down this path'."..

...Meanwhile all 50 US states began investigations on Friday into the banks' foreclosure process...

Source

Seems the bigger picture is as ugly as ever.

edit on 18/10/10 by pause4thought because: code fix

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Seen that, $1.9 billion removed from "loan loss reserves" hmmm.$ 2.2Billion with $1.9 Billion of it from reductions in loan loss reserves. And for that matter a reduction in loan loass reserves as the foreclosuregate scandal starts to pick up steam. C is either making sure they are the first to need another bailout or the first TBTF to be resolved under Dodd-Frank.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
reply to post by Surfrat

Newbie question: Benanke sees case for more Fed easing. The story is from 9am EST and states that the USD started to fall on the news but at the same time there was a sell of of gold from $1385 to $1365 and an eventual rise in the USD index from 76.20 to 76.90 all in a short period of time.

The explanation on the news is that there was profit taking on gold ahead of Bernanke's speech. Does that make sense? I suppose it does if you wanted to convert from gold to a different currency other than the USD expecting that other currency to rise on the news? Am I right on that?

I know the USD has fallen to a new low against most of the currencies in the index - so why the big jump shown here?

US Dollar Index Chart

Everyone is looking at it as a one-way bet, and that’s when it usually bounces and scares them back out of the trade. Then once that happens, the larger downtrend can resume. Trends don’t lie. Even downtrends have bounces and corrections from time to time . . . and the greenback is way overdue for one. Many of the technical indicators that I watch have been oversold for at least a month-and-a-half now. That’s very, very rare. The dollar is a mile away from its 50-day SMA. That is another sign that the dollar has been stretched too far in the near term and is due for a bounce of some sort. Then once it rolls over again, we’ll see shorting the buck some more against foreign currencies.
The “commodities up/dollar down” trend is not over. It’s simply time for a break and for the dollar to bounce. Then that trend will resume.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Biggest story of the day...

SPY crashes 10% in MINUTES, if not SECONDS... SEC cancels 500 million $ worth of trades... Ridiculous. The government won't let the market go down. After all, they need suckers to drain from... and make it look like the economy is good.

SPY Flash Crashes: NYSE Cancels $500 Million Worth Of Trades

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Stocks Fall into a Tailspin
Dow drops 200, the beginning of the collapse? Is the smart money pulling the plug, and what about QE2?
The 3 questions of the day.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

maybe this is why RT is having scheduled maintenance?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Not since May 1968 has the French government faced such unified and widespread opposition to its authority. Over 250 demonstrations, oil refineries on strike, roads blockaded, fuel shortages, buildings aflame - the country is in turmoil, and yet these events have so far been curiously underplayed in the UK media. They didn't even make last night's BBC World Service news bulletins. The tabloid British Daily Mail has this:

Rage spills out on to the streets of France... as Sarkozy and Carla Bruni live the high life

Maybe they're afraid the stoic (apathetic?) Brits may take a lead from them As Britain braces itself for biggest spending cuts since the war, minister's gaffe reveals: One in ten public sector workers faces axe (Daily Mail)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So where's GBM? 6 months ago or so, when the euro was trading at 1.20 and falling fast, I predicted a 1.40+ euro... well now it's about 1.39+...

Interesting.

In other news, the japanese yen is hitting new high again... now at 80.84 against the dollar.... this is dangerous for the japanese economy... and at the same time for the US economy since Japan buys a boatload of US bonds... and if the Japanese economy fails further... it would be really bad.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Likely?

www.hindustantimes.com...

Protests in Britain...

Millions of Britons, including people of Indian origin, were in a state of anxiety as the fine print of 'axe Wednesday' led to the realisation that the country was in for a prolonged period of protests and pain. As Chancellor George Osborne unveiled the Comprehensive Spending Review (CSR) in the
House of Commons, it became clear that all sections of society - including Queen Elizabeth - would be worse off in these times of recession and uncertainty.

Soon after he concluded his speech, protests began in London and elsewhere.

There are already fears of Britain witnessing France and Greece-style public protests as the public spending cuts begin to hit haemorrhage people's lives.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

It appears we will be the last country on earth printing money and 'stimulating' and 'easing' ourselves into oblivion, then we will likely protest as well, although with far fewer percent of people than Greece, France, Spain, and maybe even Britain.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It's me again blowing the Vulcan Reports trumpet.
Another interesting episode of the vulcan report about the flash crash and how it couldnt have been a fat finger or algorithm. Also about whats happening in the markets right now, he's been saying for a while that the markets are going to be pumped big time which is what has happened.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I think this is what we should call our quantitative easing from now on: Numberless Oblivion. Good article, too.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have not been here in a long time, just in case this has not been added.

Wall Street Bonuses Will Cost Us All in the Long Run, yes after the big crash the big corporations that took bailout money from tax payer and many still do are paying themselves the same amount of bonuses that they did before the market crash with impunity, care for the tax payer and with government blessing.

More dangerously, the junk bond companies that have borrowed too much will default, throwing their employees out of work and causing more humongous losses all over the system. Naturally, faced with this further crisis, the economy will collapse again.

And so Wall Street's 2009 and 2010 bonuses, just like its 2004-2007 bonuses, will end up being paid from the losses incurred by everybody else after the inevitable crash. And when we've dug ourselves out from the rubble, we will again be poorer than we were before - the U.S. economy's enormous competitive advantage of capital will have been further eroded.

You know people, before the crash many here including me told the story of how Americas economy was an illusion and guess what, no even a crahs like the one we just had have change that, American corporate mafia still lives in prosperity illusion but this time is not at the expenses of the fools they take their money from and given willingly is now at the expenses of tax payer in the nation.

______beforeitsnews/story/236/244/Wall_Street_Bonuses_Will_Cost_Us_All_in_the_Long_Run.html

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

All true.
The cabal (Wall Street mega-bankers and their cronies in the federal government and the federal reserve) that have virtually destroyed the American economy, if not the world economy, have been buying up REAL assets with the fiat money they created and stole.
Stuff like gold, silver, mansions in Costa Rica with security guards, established businesses that are having a "fire sale" because of the economy.
In fact, I was approached by "wall street money" to purchase my business. My agent tells me there is a lot of wall street money looking for "deals"....

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

I am staying away from this thread because I know that the "market goods numbers of lately" were already predicted because the mid term elections, I am waiting when is over with and the market will fall back to what is suppose to be.

After all, when trillions of dollars where taken from tax payer to pay for the wealthiest in the nation in the name of economic stimulus those numbers better look good for the very angry tax payer.

Nothing but deceptions.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

And "fall back" it shall.

but, I am no market forecaster. I don't drink Scotch with the right people.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You know people, before the crash many here including me told the story of how Americas economy was an illusion and guess what, no even a crahs like the one we just had have change that, American corporate mafia still lives in prosperity illusion but this time is not at the expenses of the fools they take their money from and given willingly is now at the expenses of tax payer in the nation.

Except it has always bee at the expense of the tax payer. All so called bank loans are not loans at all they are the creation of money from nothing on the spot with each and every tax payer and even non tax payers like your children as collateral on that newly created debt. This is how they blew the economy bubble to the hugest in history. They don;t need to print money anymore. this is what is deflating right now and why real estate is in the toilet and won't be coming back anytime soon. I am amazed it hasn't completed crashing yet. It will one of these days as more and more people wake up to the fraud then all bets are off.

new topics

top topics

<< 712  713  714    716  717  718 >>

join