It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 708
<< 705  706  707    709  710  711 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
ON CNN? :
Is this finally the economic collapse?
You know it's bad when CNN of all people is badmouthing Obama's recovery.
[edit on 11-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

If Obama had focused on cutting spending and government economic accountability and the economic issue itself rather than trying to ram through every progressive bill waiting in the wings for the past 40 years then perhaps we would not be on the verge of collapse. Every new trillion dollar bill, according to congress, is "paid for" and I laugh every time I hear it. This union bailout bill is "paid for" because they are going to steal money from another program (which was never ##### paid for) in 2014. As I understand it - the money doesn't come from the food stamp program this year - its money leveraged from the program starting in 2014 which I assume is when they think congress will be back in GOP control and then they can run attack ads on the GOP saying "now the GOP lead congress is cutting your food stamps"...

Its sick -- its America.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well let wait and see, today in CNBC already before the markets opening the trend of downfall is already been talk about as to warn the viewers of what is to come during today trading.

So perhaps we may see again another down trend or perhaps the magic wand will do its magic and the markets will get a boost and and we will have another day to celebrate and believe the claims of the economic recovery.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Thanks for that information very interesting to see how now the government is playing with money that is really not there, but already allocated for another purpose in years to come.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Did anyone else see the Hindenburg signal today? I bumped an old thread in current events (the thread was just before this forum began I think).?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The last Hindenburg Omen signal came in the summer of 2008 is there a new one?

www.safehaven.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
From what I'm hearing yes, and there was a near miss yesterday. A miss so close that some are considering today's a confirmation. If I remember correctly you have to do the math with the new highs/new lows and NYSE shares traded from the numbers from the WSJ to be "official". I do see people that I pay attention to talking about it on economic forums.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is an interesting technical indicator since 1985 there has not been a market crash without a Hindenburg omen signal. I.m not sure what the percentage of absolute correlation is however. Where is the board expert Green Bic Man? He should be all over this.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
German economy sees 'record' growth of 2.2%

www.bbc.co.uk...

"Such quarter-on-quarter growth has never been recorded before in reunified Germany," the national statistics office, Destatis, said.

The main reason for the higher-than-expected growth was strong exports, helped by a weaker euro.

The eurozone economy grew by 1% during the quarter.

They must be stopped!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
How about this one

While tax payer Americans are falling into hard times due economic downfalls, our generosity forced by our own government has not limit.

Foreign Banks Reap Benefits of TARP

The report by the Congressional Oversight Panel found that the U.S. financial aid package helped foreign banks far more than their rescue packages aided American companies.

"While the United States attempted to stabilize the system by flooding money into as many banks as possible -- including those that had significant overseas operations -- most other nations targeted their efforts more narrowly toward institutions that in many cases had no major U.S. operations," the report noted.

Not only did TARP money go into the coffers of foreign financial institutions, but U.S. taxpayers also shouldered the entire burden in the event that some of the aid doled out to banks could not be recouped.

And we are to keep paying for their loses

www.economyincrisis.org...

Guess what, no wonder Germany is doing "better" it was two of the countries that our generosity as tax payer help keep them afloat.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

``Record grow`` = 2.2%
Epic.

It seems everybody is expecting a major downturn in the stock market starting next week.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Even Tony Robbins is bearish. I don't know much about his work, the depth and width of his audience, or his ability to influence markets, but I'm led to believe he travels in very well-heeled circles.

An Important Note Of Caution

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Gold Talk...

From Dow Theory Letters (Richard Russell):

How duplicitous can the government be? It seems the Fed will stop at absolutely nothing in their fever to combat the concept of gold being legitimate money (of course, the Fed is afraid that in due time Americans will realize that gold is the ultimate money and that the garbage the federal reserve creates [ Federal Reserve Notes we mistakenly called dollars ] is only worth anything at all because the law says it is [it is money by fiat ]. Federal law says that these slips of printed cotton and linen are legal in payment of all debts...

Question -- Why do we, the people, allow the government to get away with it?
Answer -- Democracy depends on an INFORMED electorate. (emphasis author's) As a group, the American voters are dismally ignorant...

I'm not the only one bringing this up. Gold and money (and gold as money) is being talked about a lot by many. I know you will say gold manipulation is senseless, impossible, etc. But with gold gaining widespread attention (and 'fiat money' becoming part of the vernacular); don't you think keeping gold down is in the interests of all countries with money backed by nothing?

From a review of Aftershock (yes, I read it):

On page 187, the authors theorize that, at some far distant future date, some international assemblage will devise an international monetary system, independent of gold or any other metal, that "will be inflation-free because the system that controls the supply of IMUs [International Monetary Units] will be set up to avoid it." In all of man's history, gold is the only standard which has ever met that requirement! And human nature being what it is: How naïve can you get?

(I would of just quoted the book directly but someone else has it right now, this is what I wanted to put in and I was able to find part of it.)
Also in Aftershock, they say the dollar is in a bubble because it is overvalued...

Possible evidence of gold manipulation...(I'm aware its a blogger, thanks):
Gold market not fixed, its rigged

Fiat money has never lasted indefinitely:
Fiat Currency: Using the Past to See into the Future

1. I have been told (and read) that gold is a unique commodity because in a cycle of deflation it will hold its value, while other commodities go down. If I find an ancient chart I'll post it here, I'll look later...

2.Whats your opinion of the article I posted on gold?
(seriously I think it is interesting but I would like input, open to anyone...)

3.Also, I doubt everyone will be using gold at 7-11, I just think it will have a higher status than anything else. Lots of people consider gold a store of value. I think most people would just be bartering because not a ton of people have physical gold.

4.Dollar overvalued-Rock Puck talked about it, and the history of fiat currency means that the value will eventually go down.

5.Derivatives have value, but according to experts they are currently trading more certificates for gold than they could actually physically provide. So if everyone asks for their gold/money, and its not there, wouldn't that make the pieces of paper they have worthless?

6. What gold did during the great depression

Gold may not have a strong link to GDP, because it will only really fly if the dollar/economy goes very far south. (Or, admittedly less likely, the people learn the history of money).

[edit on 14-8-2010 by time91]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by time91

You aren't getting it yet.

What makes the metals market so much more important than lets say the Sugar Market or Lean Hogs?

For starters, at current prices the US central bank holds over 75% of it's currency reserves in Gold...the ECB over 50%

Hi time91. I absolutely revel when a self-proclaimed market expert jumps-in over his head in a display of dominance...and only manages to expose himself...don't you ? Maybe you can explain to him that when global central banks begin holding lets say sugar and lean hogs as a major component of their foreign currency reserves....we won't need to consider Gold special anymore

Is Gold important ?

Is the POG manipulated ?

Gold/Silver Price Fixing Condensed

In front of 3 witnesses, Bank of England Governor Eddie George spoke to Nicholas J. Morrell (CEO of Lonmin Plc) after the Washington Agreement gold price explosion in Sept/Oct 1999. Mr. George said "We looked into the abyss if the gold price rose further. A further rise would have taken down one or several trading houses, which might have taken down all the rest in their wake."

Full Text

We all remember the 2008 taxpayer funded bailout of AIG here in the US...but how many were aware of AIG's British bailout back in 1999 (courtesy of Gordon Brown), and AIG's subsequent exit from the profitable position of market maker with the LBMA ?

Related Text: Explain why you sold Britain's gold, Gordon Brown told

[edit on 15-8-2010 by OBE1]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Where is the board expert Green Bic Man?

reply to post by Bordon81

Good One!

Nah, he tends to go missing when there's no propaganda to regurgitate. Maybe the reality of how wrong he's been has got him strung out on a drinking binge somewhere. Or maybe he's running some program that's going to explain it all to him. Won't he be surprised when he comes to the same conclusions everyone here has been telling him all along.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

``Record grow`` = 2.2% Epic.

lol, to be fair, the Germans probably use a more realistic approach to calculating their GDP. Where as America uses a formula that is so blatantly lies it's not even funny.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
GBM ??

Either paid disinfo or .. not too bright.

I don't even know much at all when it comes to economics, but can tell when someone is spot on in what he's saying.

Asked him what I should invest a little $$ in and suggested buying some silver, this was a while back now .. and he said it was a really bad idea.
I told him I was considering it back in November of '08 when it was at it's low of $9 an ounce, and he said I must have had some lucky intuition ... NO . .. I listened to the masters out there, on freaking youtube!! You don't have to be a genius to bank, just listen to the people out there who already made their fortunes, and are just telling it like it is.

-Marc Faber
-Peter Schiff
-Max Keiser

Those are the top 3 I subscribe to and they've been pretty dead on, except the timing is hard to predict. I could tell from the way he talks that he doesn't really -get it- , the out of box style of thinking, else he does and is paid to dumb us all down .. Maybe the average cat doesn't make much, and is half wrong, half right, ... but SCREW AVERAGE !! Why would you want to think like an average schmuck and waste your time playing the lottery? The people who make it don't just guess this stuff, they KNOW.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
www.vancouversun.com...

Canada’s economic recovery ‘by no means a sure thing,’ expert says

Paul Krugman, a Nobel Prize winner, New York Times columnist and renowned economic pundit, described Canada as “a very calm, very happy story” during the world economic crisis. Read more: www.vancouversun.com...

“But in the long term, instability and the waste of human potential, which are a direct result of a systematic suppression of individual rights and economic freedom, will invariably cause its downfall.” Read more: www.vancouversun.com...

not looking good for canada looks like they are admitting it.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Interesting as it is to hear all about the continuing debates around 'classical' minerals like gold or silver, I remain interested in whether this particular economic boil may in fact be lanced by different metallurgic means...

Just what is going on with China?

Link to thread
US and China to clash over Yuan fall

China has restricted exports of rare earth minerals by more than 70pc in the second half of this year, cutting off the world supply. China produces 97pc of these minerals, used in a wide range of high-tech industries, from hybrid engines to computers, mobile phones, radar, navigation and precision-guided weapons.

Quite a major slap in the face to that presidential vision provided in early 2009 for a new-alternative-energy-grid-building-based economic recovery model - no?

I wonder how the removal of these resources from free-trade global supply may effect prospects for out of favour/western trade partners, and indeed economies placing so much emphasis on next-gen environmentally sensitive industries, hi-tech industires and defence industries to help lead them out of recession - doesn't that include most of the US/NATO alliance?

I wonder what the likes of Apple, Motorola, Intel, Dell, CISCO and GE think of this spat over 97% of Rare Earth Mineral resources being closed off?

Is this still economic/militaristic sabre rattling, or has it become something else?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

curioustype

That does sound a little like a 'challenge' to me.. In the past few years I have noticed China doing deals with different countries all over the world, 'securing the rights' for 10 or even 20 years for mineral extractions.
I also read an article in moneyweek recently which discussed a conflict China had with Vietnam back in the 80's over sovereign rights to a small group of Islands in the South China seas... The reason being the Huge reserves of natural gas and oil, supposedly BIGGER than the Middle East ??? I think the USA will have an issue with that claim.... Just better watch out for the Chinese Anti Aircraft carrier missiles now developed...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

Hello to you to OBE1. Thats the main point I was trying to make, that started this. That gold IS (obviously) important. There IS evidence that the price of gold is being manipulated. Thanks for further evidence of the point, I had forgot about G. Brown selling Britain's gold. Recently, there were a series of articles about large swaps of gold that had supposedly spooked the market.
Secret Gold Swap has Spooked the Market
from article:

Renowned gold expert Jim Sinclair adopted this explanation. The panic came when people mistook a lease for a swap, he argues. Far from being a big release of gold into the market, it is simply a commercial arrangement between the IMF and BIS with a favourable rate of interest paid for the foreign currency.

"Gold swaps are usually undertaken by monetary authorities," he writes on his industry blog, MineSet. "The gold is exchanged for foreign exchange deposits with an agreement that the transaction be unwound at a future time at an agreed price.

This means that this was not actually a sell off of gold, but a lease. So it dropped the price of gold (down around $70 an ounce) for a short period of time, and someone knew it was coming down. Manipulation of the POG, and an opportunity for insider trading, perhaps?

Also, to keep this current: Stocks, Housing, and Economy, Mass Delusion American Style

Anyone still believe 'buy stocks for the long run', OR ' globalization will benefit all americans'?

[edit on 16-8-2010 by time91]

top topics

<< 705  706  707    709  710  711 >>

join