It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 701
<< 698  699  700    702  703  704 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The two mega corporations that are controlling Americas retail, be aware that small retail numbers are no longer to be the driver of consumer confidence, but rather the numbers of this two giants are now controlling the driving factor.

Consumer Economy Fueled By Giant Corporations,

In today’s economy the burden of fewer sales is not dispersed over hundreds of stores, it is dispersed primarily over just two (Wal-Mart and Target). When the giants have a bad fiscal quarter their stocks fall, and the entire country is adversely affected by its over-reliance on them

Like any other monopoly this type of economic take over will eventually destroy America

And will end up consuming your wallet.

Wal-Mart and Target are just as much a monopoly as the companies we learned about in American History classes. One giant corporation helps another giant corporation, and in the end all of the smaller shops are forced to close. These giant corporations then become dependent on your constant input of consumer dollars to survive.

These monopolist companies destroy small businesses and make it impossible for startups to compete or survive. There used to be an array of general and department stores for people to use, now they can go to Wal-Mart or Target anywhere in the world and buy the exact same things. By building our consumer economy around these super stores, we condemn ourselves to always having to feed the giant. If it isn’t fed it will react violently, as we all saw with the Wall Street sell-off on May 28.

We all know that small businesses and service sector is after all the employment driver in the nation, beside the government

But as we see very soon you will also work for one of the two corporations or the government while at the same time returning your earnings to them as soon you get your pay checks.

www.economyincrisis.org...

[edit on 19-7-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Fascinating new line of enquiry, marg.

The Dow's heading up early on:

10149.29 up 51.39 (+0.51%)

Source

But it's anybody's guess where we'll be at the end of today - not to mention the week.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Hey, like I say let just keep and eye on how the political game is going to be played with the markets for the mid term elections.

Remember, Obama's economic recovery is !!!!!Working!!!!! so it can not be bad days in the markets of a recovering nation that just spend billions and trillions of dollars of tax payer dollars to do the fixing. Right?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Vitchilo

The article you provided a link to- 'why the economy isn't recovering' was a very interesting read on the whole situation..
I get the impression after reading that article, that the debts eventually will have to be written off regardless of the rich elite demanding their wealth back.... As a 'little guy' I do wonder what I should be doing now to at least try and protect myself from the future Implosion............ I live in the UK but I can see the parallels over here.....

Good Article

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Hi there, just a couple of things I saw today on the BBCs Asia/Pacific news page and thought you may be interested in, and whether they sit well together:

link to article
"US and South Korea to hold major military exercise
(BBC 20 July 2010)

The US and South Korea say they will begin a major military exercise aimed at sending a message of deterrence to North Korea on 25 July.

The four-day exercise, in the Sea of Japan (East Sea), will involve 20 ships, 200 planes and 8,000 personnel. "

Then there's this, which I also posted in Breaking News:

BBC 20 July 2010 Last updated at 18:54

[edit: China 'leapfrogs US to become biggest energy user'

I do wonder how long it will be before what everyone who listens knows are increasing tensions result in some form of more overt and clear expression, possibly involving a conflict, even though China has thus far kept itself out of such direct measures (very successfully IMO).

[edit: How may the markets react to such activities in those waters given what China has said, and the change in tone and intent allocated to their and US statements about such things, will this create any noticeable reaction in the markets?]

[edit on 20-7-2010 by curioustype]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Unemployment benefits extended to 129 weeks!

Now this new extension will increase benefits to up to 129 weeks. That is two-and-a-half years of benefits, almost five times longer than the previous extension.

That'll stimulate the economy... and help people.

This ain't over by a long shot...
Prerecession jobless rate to be reached again minimum 2014, but more likely around 2020
And that doesn't include if the dollar collapse, or if America starts a new war, or if the recovery is fake (oops)...

And some funny non-sense...
“While some countries deserve to have their creditworthiness doubted, others, including the United States, do not. The United States is not another Greece, and the likelihood of default or any dire consequences from the present run-up of Treasury debt is minimal.

BTW, I'm reading Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse
Real interesting.

And to all of you Keynesians... remember the Harding recession...

20% unemployment, deflation of 15% retail sector, 37% for overall sales and total industrial production fell 30%. Still, it was over in 18 months and nobody ever talks about it because it goes against the Keynesian propaganda that massive government stimulus is needed.

What happened during that recession, everyone that had to go bankrupt went bankrupt. Interest rates were not changed. There were no ``too big to fail`` BS and no bailouts. The system readjusted itself. It was hard but short.

But eh if you read Ron Paul's books, and a little of financial history, you would know about this.

Merkel loses another key ally
The witch could go away, a nationalist could be elected and Germany could leave the euro... that would be interesting.

US oil spill could destroy 100,000 jobs: experts
Ooops! Not job lost, jobs destroyed...

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Remember how if BP go bankrupted we would be in big trouble because of all the Collateralized Synthetic Obligations (CSOs) connected to it?

Well...
BP Begins Fire Sale With $7 Billion In North American And Egyptian Assets Going To Apache
First step towards bankruptcy...

The US home construction industry figures fell sharply last month to its lowest level since October 2009, Commerce Department figures show.
Recovery uh?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So... lets break the pot

Oakland approves measures allowing large marijuana farms, small growers upset

www.nydailynews.com...

Oakland's City Council is high on marijuana as a budding business.

The California city's politicians adopted measures that give the go-ahead for large-scale pot farms as a way to generate revenue and regulate the industry late Tuesday night.

In other words, Oakland wants cannabis to go capitalist.

The city will give permits for four, industrial-sized operations, which can be as large as 100,000 square feet, reports the San Francisco Chronicle.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com... uL66JmD4

Yikes!

For starters, applicants must spend $5,000 to cover the administrative costs the city will charge. They must also have $3 million for insurance and fork over a $211,000 annual permit fee to the city. Read more: www.nydailynews.com... uL6U7mQB

[edit on 21-7-2010 by DangerDeath]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

So.. Basically $230,000 + a year after insurance for 100,000 square feet of quasi legal growing space?

So it you utilized 1 sq foot for 1 ounce and had 80,000 square feet to utilize for space

80,000 * 1 ounce * 2 harvest = 160,000 ounces

16 oz in 1 lbs = 10,000 lbs

1 lbs @ $3500.00 * 10,000 lbs = $35,000,000 US DOLLARS?

My math must be horrible because if it isn't sign me up

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I am going off topic a bit. However, this topic is so central to life that I'm not going far.

The world economy is collapsing and you all are watching the crumble in real time. I have a different perspective on the dollar game.
In my view a dollar is nothing. It is nothing more than paper and paper can be burned or set on the ground and trampled.
There is no value to it other than what we place in it.

Resources on the other hand allow products to be built, tanks and aircraft to fuel.
What would the value of the dollar be if the US and China went to war?
Wouldn't that erase the notes that China owns?
Wouldn't that create jobs in America for products that were previously supplied by China?

War with China will be the end of "fiat" and the birth of resource economy. The US has bases around the world to activate and control or manage the vital resources.
Is that the Plan?
Or has the build-up over a generation been merely for decor?
Are we living through the brain child of a think tank operation 2 decades ago?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
fantastic dive going on, atm.

burn baby, burn!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

No kiddin'. What's up, the PPT on holiday?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f2b3cb8dbfe.png[/atsimg]

DJIA 10074.44 down 155.52 (-1.52%)

Source

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Meanwhile in the other news fresh from canada
more lies about the job growth.

Centrel Canadian bank points to a glommy world soruce CP24 News text headlnes.

Another lie in the
www.reuters.com...

The unemployment rate in June fell unexpectedly to 7.9 percent from 8.1 percent, the lowest since January 2009 but still well above the pre-recession level of 6.2 percent.

and yet it was 8.6 months ago.

All these jobs are part time jobs, low paying jobs, nothing to cheer about it follew canadians

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Perhaps the fall has something to do with this:

Bernanke: US economy faces "uncertain" time

If that's news to the traders they must be living on Mars.

US Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke has warned that the outlook for the US economy remains "unusually uncertain".

In testimony before the Senate Banking Committee, Mr Bernanke said record low interest rates would still be needed to support economic recovery.

The Fed was also prepared to step in with "further policy actions" to boost the economy if needed, he added.

But he downplayed fears that the US could re-enter recession.

Generalities and sweet nothings to the US economy. Panic on Wall street...

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

I'm afraid it's not country based anymore. Multinational = global. Which means they quit with micro-management and switch to macro-management, and that means nothing good for individual citizens.

Money will reflect the projection of power to certain places-countries, but focus will be pretty much floating. One country elevated, another abandoned. Not that it didn't exist before, but now it is becoming more clear that corporations are totally above and capable floating without permanent anchorage.

I am pretty sure a huge fog of politics will be projected to further confuse people, simulated politics, simulated crisis, on a much larger scale. Even the cold war now looks like totally projected scam, at least it will turn out that it really was just that, only now it is becoming totally systemic - a tool to rule.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by unityemissions

What's up, the PPT on holiday?

Nope, they just decided to spend their time controlling gold again today. Recently it has become obvious that the markets are now moving with gold and other precious metals. They are just trying to hold the house up as long as possible.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

Why would the PPt give 2 #s about gold prices when it has been obvious there has been liquidation in gold to buy Euro's?

So today the US dollar gained across all currencies. Gold went down. Before this gold was going down when money was flowing into the EUR.

So which one is it? I don't know how you are coming up with this, but IMO it doesn't make any sense.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Because if gold really takes off it could mean the end of the overvalued fiat currencies everywhere. The U.S. Dollar would go down with the rest. The Euro may remain higher (as well as the pound) but what they're trying to prevent is a possible paper currency collapse, where all unbacked money loses significant value.

top topics

<< 698  699  700    702  703  704 >>

join