It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 70
<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Anyone here heard of Elliot Wave...he is on the radio right now predicting dow down to 1000, that should help this out!

Oh bless you, you are new to this stuff aren't you?

Ralph N. Elliott detailed the Elliott Wave Theory in the late 1920. it is a method used to predict the stock market

Elliott Wave Principle

Mister Elliott died in 1948. I am pretty sure he is not on the radio today

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Bless you too, not too new, but already corrected that...theorist Bob Prechter's on the radio
www.elliottwave.com...

[edit on 6-3-2009 by burntheships]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thank you all for making this thread my home this week. This is the first place I go after I turn my computer on every day.

Your information and presentation has been most excellent.

Looking forward to working in the garden tomorrow as it is supposed to be 77 here and then joining this discussion Sunday.

I hope you all have a restful and relaxed weekend. We may need nerves of steel come Monday.

My best to all and thanks again.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
NYSE Will Start Rejecting On-Close Orders to Ease Swings in Stock Prices

www.bloomberg.com...

huh?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Bless you too, not too new, but already corrected that...theorist Bob Prechter's on the radio
www.elliottwave.com...

Good catch, Elliott Wave is the only thing that has been consistent with the markets over the past year. Star for you! Thanks!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by theWCH

Look for the a start in CPI. There has already been one and they mistook it for spending.
The way these idiots are cooking the numbers you'll likely see inflation there before consumer spending actually goes up.

Is this why some of us are *convinced* that we've seen "Consumer spending goes up for the first time in ___ months" for two consecutive months? They report it, correct it, and then report it again the next month?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

That sounds like a good plan...it actually got up to 68 here in michigan earlier!!!!

It's great, isn't it.

I hope this is actually spring, and not just a false alarm. Either way, I'm loving it.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

U.S. bill would revamp accounting oversight
www.reuters.com...

The new five-member board would include top regulators from the Federal Reserve, the Treasury, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp, and the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board.
Now there's a bowl of alphabit soup!
Great line-up...now...can we just get 'em to stand still for some pic's at Levenworth!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Gave you a star HX3...you crack me up!

I feel as though I'm just watching a really bad movie sometimes,waiting for the "real" bad guys to all get killed off.

You idea of "pics" would be a good start.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

That is rich.

If they would have done their jobs to begin with we wouldn't be in such a bad mess. So congress' bright idea is lets take the top regulators from those agencies and put them on a board together.

My confidence in government is looking like the stock market except it is not "gyrating" up and down it is a steady steep slope and I passed the baseline of 0 about 7 months ago.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

FDIC chief: Limits needed on too big to fail banks?
money.cnn.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congress should consider if it is time to step in and stop American banks from becoming too large to fail, the . of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. told "60 Minutes" in an interview to be broadcast Sunday.

"I think taxpayers rightfully should ask, that if an institution has become so large that there is no alternative except for the taxpayers to provide support, should we allow so many institutions to exceed that kind of threshold?" FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair said, according to excerpts of the program released on Friday.
Hhhmmm...and why isn't she . of the Treasury...oh yea...she turned THEM down.

Our loss?

IMF: Big economies need bigger stimulus
money.cnn.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The world's biggest economies may require even more spending to boost growth, yet they also must take steps to address precarious longer term finances, the International Monetary Fund said Friday.

The Fund painted a grim picture of countries trying to balance the risk of a "prolonged depression and stagnation" against a "loss of confidence in government solvency."
...and where are those economies going to get this money...

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

That actually sounds like a great idea...

The thing is that it is an idea made by common sense and we know how governments feel about that..

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

How to Invest in a Depression
moneyfeatures.blogs.money.cnn.com...

The Dow Jones Industrial Average seems to be on a permanent downward track. The nation’s GDP has plunged into negative territory. And something once considered unthinkable—a depression—is now a real possibility. That’s the finding of Harvard economists Robert Barro and Jose Ursua, who studied the long-term data for stock market crashes and depressions from 25 countries, including the U.S. In a recently published paper, the economists conclude there’s a 20% chance that U.S. GDP and consumption will fall by 10% or more, something not seen since the early 1930s—in other words, a depression.
...and yet another encouraging article pointing to better times...

China's hard landing
money.cnn.com...

With exports shrinking and unemployment rising, China must find a way to recover. That will take longer than most think.

(Fortune Magazine) -- In the early evening light, on a block that once bustled but is now deathly quiet, Li Zhong-he walks to the front gate of the factory where he used to work. There he looks for his name on a sheaf of papers. They are notices from a local administrative court, granting small unemployment payments to workers like Li and the hundreds of others who were left without jobs when their company, Hejun Toy Manufacturing, ceased operation.

Nearly a decade ago Li had come from the countryside to Dongguan, a sprawling manufacturing town in southeast China that for much of the past decade had boomed. He had made decent money, the equivalent of about $250 a month, worked his way up to shift supervisor on the factory floor, and unlike many of China's migrant workers - an army of an estimated 115 million people nationwide - he had asked his wife and young son to join him so that they could have what he calls a "normal life."

Now, he says quietly as he turns away, disappointed that his name was not on the list, "I don't know what I'm going to do."
...and we're expecting them to rescue us...

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Well, I thought I would give you an up-date. The "major action" for the day quieted down so this might be a good time?

We have talked about paying off all debt next week (didn't have a ton to start with, one credit card with a large balance
a small home equity loan, and one other small credit card ).

The only thing left is my car payment and the mortgage. Also, he brought out the "home defense items"
and had a little show and tell! I have had a major lust for taking lessons and he is all for that! Soon.Ammo is running out I hear..

Now all I have to do is get to convincing him about stocking up on necessities. I have always been that way but now it is for REAL! (baby steps).
He does agree it is good to be prepared but I don't think he realizes HOW prepared I want to be!

Thanks and have a great weekend!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

When is it officially a depression?
Aren't we in one?
Given there is no magic pill for this -
can't we see that it is happening?
All these smart people in the news predicting what looks inevitable.
It's got me wondering - when do we say when.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
How did that straw poll go? only 1 bank seizure

Freedom Bank of Georgia, Commerce, Georgia, was closed today by the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance, which appointed the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) as receiver. To protect the depositors, the FDIC entered into a purchase and assumption agreement with Northeast Georgia Bank, Lavonia, Georgia, to assume all of the deposits of Freedom Bank of Georgia.

The four offices of Freedom Bank of Georgia will reopen on Monday as branches of Northeast Georgia Bank. Depositors of Freedom Bank of Georgia will automatically become depositors of Northeast Georgia Bank. Deposits will continue to be insured by the FDIC, so there is no need for customers to change their banking relationship to retain their deposit insurance coverage. Customers of both banks should continue to use their existing branches until Northeast Georgia Bank can fully integrate the deposit records of Freedom Bank of Georgia.

Over the weekend, depositors of Freedom Bank of Georgia can access their money by writing checks or using ATM or debit cards. Checks drawn on the bank will continue to be processed. Loan customers should continue to make their payments as usual.

As of March 4, 2009, Freedom Bank of Georgia had total assets of approximately $173 million and total deposits of $161 million. In addition to assuming all of the deposits of the failed bank, Northeast Georgia Bank agreed to purchase approximately $167 million in assets at a discount of $13.65 million. The FDIC will retain the remaining assets for later disposition.

The FDIC and Northeast Georgia Bank entered into a loss-share transaction. Northeast Georgia Bank will share in any losses on approximately $96.5 million in assets covered under the agreement. The loss-sharing arrangement is projected to maximize returns on the covered assets covered by keeping them in the private sector. The agreement is expected to minimize disruptions for loan customers as they will maintain a banking relationship.

Customers who have questions about today's transaction can call the FDIC toll-free at 1-866-782-1897. The phone number will be operational this evening until 9:00 p.m., EST; on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., EST; on Sunday from noon to 6:00 p.m., EDT; and thereafter from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., EDT. Interested parties can also visit the FDIC's Web site at www.fdic.gov...

The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund will be $36.2 million. Northeast Georgia Bank's acquisition of all the deposits was the "least costly" resolution for the FDIC's Deposit Insurance Fund compared to alternatives. Freedom Bank of Georgia is the seventeenth FDIC-insured institution to fail in the nation this year. The last bank to fail in Georgia was FirstBank Financial Services, McDonough, on February 6, 2009.

source

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Somehow I don't see them labeling this as one till years later...even though most will know it soon, if not already.

We lost 6.2% GDP in 2008 4th Q and 2009 1st Q isn't looking to hot as of now either...

I'd say if we lose 3.8% GDP this Q...10% in two straight...that would do it for me...

Was hearing earlier our current market losses of 50+% are actually steeper than a comparable time frame from the 30's...sooo...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

it's still earley red...plenty of time for some more interesting developments...

top topics

<< 67  68  69    71  72  73 >>

join