It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 695
<< 692  693  694    696  697  698 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Once we are really out of this recession we could really use a 1987 style market bottom to spring from. The slow sell off we have been seeing the last few weeks probably does more damage to investor confidence.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I've noticed that too. Usually the msm are scrambling for any glimmer of hope and magnifying it 10 fold to make everything seem perfectly fine. But this past week they've done the exact polar opposite and are talking about economic collapse every chance they get. Strange. Must be making investors feel very uneasy. I wonder if the collapse is being timed by tptb so it will happen when it suits them.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I don't know. I tend to think that they did the pump thing until they felt that there was no way in hell it was going to sustain. At that point they started worrying about their long term credibility. When the cheerleaders take the bench, you know the game's about over.

The real tragedy is the sheeple who were deceived by them. But, that's life. A fool and his money are soon separated.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
here is a great video about watching the numbers game. we have all been fooled.

market manipulation

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracer7
here is a great video about watching the numbers game. we have all been fooled.

market manipulation

Me or you could not place an offer and retract it in a matter of seconds as the price starts to move so it goes to show it's being fixed and the Sec is a juke much like out FSA.

This must be costing punters a fortune and i bet most don't know it's going on.

I keep telling them the casion table has magnets under it but they know better.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

Seconds?

Try within microseconds of the price move.

Welcome to high frequency trading.

If anyone who's paying attention still thinks the game is not rigged they're out of their minds.

That video essentially proves that they can keep the markets afloat by market manipulation.

It will fall when they allow it to.

Seeing as the media is now giving the green light . . .

*Poof*

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Holy smokes, you know to run like mad when MSM brings out the D word...

I think I may need to join the military soon, it will be the last safe pay check.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Here's a funny article:

www.cnbc.com...

Cali Gov trying to pay all state employees the Cali minimum wage lmao.. Apparently courts have ruled that it is within his power to do so.

Schwarzenegger's action sent a signal to the state's powerful unions that represent the majority of the state's workers, that they should agree to his demands for pension reform and reductions in pay, or he will make their members' lives more difficult.

Gotta love it.

[edit on 7/5/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I know around here everyone is bracing for the commercial real estate market to crash. I wish things looked better.
scary that the msm is even saying the D word. I thought they were not allowed to. Maybe they are just pissed about being locked out of the gulf and this is their way of fighting back.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The banks are causing all of this pain. WHY is anybody's guess, unless someone here can enlighten us on why the banks got really inflexible almost two years ago.
I mean TOTALLY inflexible.
There are a lot of businesses like mine, that need their banks to work with them in a slowdown. In the past, there has never been a problem with the banks. That changed.
It doesn't make ANY sense to take ALL options away from your customers unless the banks HAVE NO CHOICE. So, WHO is tying their hands? All I hear is it is the "regulators" that will not allow any flexibility, so that tells me this.
They want to crash the system.
OR, they are the most ignorant a-holes to ever manage an economy, but either way, a SERIOUS economic problem will be the result. I can tell you, the pain is only starting, and I am not just spreading manure here.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
'Stalled recovery' affecting all futures sectors

U.S. factory orders dropped 1.4% in May, the largest decline in 14 months. These numbers clearly indicate a stalled recovery and must be addressed before the “recovery” pace can resume and improve consumer and investor sentiment

www.futuresmag.com...

Even the msm media "pretty boy" Krugman is using the D word...
The Third Depression

And who will pay the price for this triumph of orthodoxy? The answer is, tens of millions of unemployed workers, many of whom will go jobless for years, and some of whom will never work again.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
The banks are causing all of this pain. WHY is anybody's guess, unless someone here can enlighten us on why the banks got really inflexible almost two years ago.
I mean TOTALLY inflexible.
There are a lot of businesses like mine, that need their banks to work with them in a slowdown. In the past, there has never been a problem with the banks. That changed.
It doesn't make ANY sense to take ALL options away from your customers unless the banks HAVE NO CHOICE. So, WHO is tying their hands? All I hear is it is the "regulators" that will not allow any flexibility, so that tells me this.
They want to crash the system.
OR, they are the most ignorant a-holes to ever manage an economy, but either way, a SERIOUS economic problem will be the result. I can tell you, the pain is only starting, and I am not just spreading manure here.

Someone correct me if I'm in the wrong, but I think this has to do with the public's debt/asset ratio. Over the years we've took on too much debt as consumers, and a point was reached where continuing to "freely" fund the bogus economic and political policies was no longer feasible, or profitable.

The choice was made to salvage the current system instead of starting anew, so the only action which could be done was to pump money into the essentially failed U.S. banking system (bailouts) and play musical chairs with the debts for a while. I think one of the main reasons so much reserves still exist in the major banks is to prop up the system and make it seem like they are still viable institutions to make trades with.

This seems to have worked out in the short run, from a low level of logic. All the same, and at a deeper level, the banks are more consolidated and have gained influence, the government has grown in authority, power, and debt, and the American public has become even more indebted and destroyed in spirit.

An agenda play has been set in motion to force a controlled collapse of our system as we know it. We're witnessing a revolution from fascism to some sort of dictatorship in fast motion.

The longer the people take to realize where we're heading, the more bloody the transition will be. Ultimately, I hold this process to be pretty much inevitable and overall for the benefit of the globe. I realize most would disagree with me here, and that's okay.

There's simply not much the somewhat awakened individual can do to alter the big picture this late in the "game". Just watch the show and prepare for the worst. Stay out of the drama, and protect those you hold dearest. We're all in for one hellova bumpy ride.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

What happened was not the public debt, but leverage of the banks. Most big banks and reginal banks leveraged their deposits at insane rates, while taking on exotic hardly understood derivatives like CDS contracts to settle the leverage. When the CDS market crashed the biggest banks and insurers the banks leverage exploded. Because of this at times they literally couldn't loan out money, for they had none themselves, let alone enough to leverage out at a higher ratio..

This is also why community banks and credit unions have fared so much better than regional and big banks.. they were not as involved with the CDO/CDS mess that is still destroying our economy.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
You say that the big banks took on too much leverage in comparison to deposits. Okay, so doesn't that mean they loaned out too much money to the public on credit without either party having the necessary liquidity?

I have little understanding of derivatives, besides the laymen view of them being instruments to hide debt and buy on the margin just like in the 1920's era. It seems a rigged play because you can either win big by investing little, or simply lose the investment. It's illogical, and unethical.

So what I gather is that it still has to do with the fact that banks loaned out money to people that they couldn't reasonably expect to gain profit from overall. Over time many loans defaulted, and these derivatives were used to hide the losses and keep the system running unethically. After one of the banks were attacked/run-on, the house of cards crumbled and the unethical system used to hide the debt became the means to bring the whole system down.

Am I mistaken here?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Feel betrayed?

loudcanary.com...

“China is in the process of sinking $3.5 billion into Afghanistan to exploit one of the last remaining copper reserves on the planet. And how many deaths in Afghanistan for the People’s Liberation Army? Zero. Will China step in to protect the largest single foreign investment in Afghanistan’s history? You bet — but only after fighting the Taliban to the very last American soldier it could muster.

Feel ripped off? On a gut level, you should. “

- “Is Obama’s Afghanistan Strategy Ripping Off America?,” Thomas P.M. Barnett, Esquire magazine, December 2009

S. Frederick Starr, the chairman of the Central Asia-Caucasus Institute, an independent research organization in Washington, said that skeptics might wonder whether Washington and NATO had conducted “an unacknowledged preparatory phase for the Chinese economic penetration of Afghanistan.”

“We do the heavy lifting,” he said. “And they pick the fruit.”

The reality is more complicated than that… [but] the conclusion is inescapable: American troops have helped make Afghanistan safe for Chinese investment.

Now that the "True Warrior" has retired, I'm sure the goal of this "war on terrorism" will be achieved...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
So, just hear the news that our govt is going to kindly take over BP now since they can not afford to pay damages.

Now that they are nationalizing the oil industry do you think the market will improve?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Why is the stock market up so much this morning?

Did I miss out on any good news?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
Why is the stock market up so much this morning?

Did I miss out on any good news?

Market is the good news

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

Here's one explanation:

Global shares have jumped as investors look to take advantage of what they perceive as cheap, oversold stocks.

The imminent announcement of pricing details for the flotation of Agricultural Bank of China (Agbank) helped to improve sentiment.

Positive comments by a European Central Bank (ECB) member about the finances of French banks also boosted stocks.

Leading US shares opened 1% higher, while all the main European markets gained more than 2.5%.

Earlier, China's Shanghai composite index climbed 1.9%...

Source

Interesting they should use the word 'perceive'. Particularly as some would suggest the economic fundamentals indicate stocks are still highly overvalued.

top topics

<< 692  693  694    696  697  698 >>

join