It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 688
<< 685  686  687    689  690  691 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by murfdog

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
Markets soared today, it looks like its all going to bounce back. They are all saying the chances of a double dip recession is pretty slim, are we finally climbing out of the hole, or is there going to be another landslide?

Looks to be time to get out the lawn tractor and start mowing down some green shoots.

Does the tractor come with a nice high-frequency motor?

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Japan PM Naoto Kan warns of 'collapse' under debt pile

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

No only that but, Senator Coburn: US Liquidity Crisis Coming in 2 Years – Unless…

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Those were a sure thing after the 1000 dip last month

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The story about the american automakers moving to Mexico ain't a big surprise... they also opened plants in China and Russia if I remember well, of course with the bailout money to fund it all.

Corporatism has taken over america, and that means fascism, a government controlled by the corporations...

It probably is this way since the first world war....remember the but at first it was only a little...and mostly in the military business... but now it's just in all kind of businesses.

As Major General Butler said, WAR IS A RACKET...he should have that it's a BLOODY RACKET...

And one story we would have NEVER seen in any other period in the last 60 years... and IMO is a threat to Germany... leave the euro and we kill you economically...
S&P Withdraws AAA Rating On German Bonds, Blames Administrative Error, Promptly Reinstates Rating

Another fat finger uh? Yeah BS. It's an open threat to Germany... STAY IN THE EU OR WE KILL YOUR ECONOMY. YOU ARE OUR SLAVE. DO AS WE SAY.

Germany should call their bluff! SCREW BILDERBERG.

In other news, New York is gonna be interesting real soon! No more money! Yeah! Maybe they should look in their other hidden funds... which are more than needed according to their comprehensive financial report.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
last week here in dallas four seasons las colinas hotel had to liquidate abit the place at one time was easily worth 400 mil but the note was for 165 mil went to auction fetched 100 mil offer on the debt but a bank or 2 had to eat 65 mil i dont think that tasted to good kind of like crow now we only have about 150 other skyscrapers here in town and im sure none of them are leveraged the same way they're just waiting for obama and his mama's change package to kick in but just afew more sunsets and everybody waiting around one sunrise soon i think the chinese will own half the town but atleast jezabel still has her garden not sure what she's growing there though maybe a chinese rosetta stone

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Does anyone remember that huge leg-up on thursday when the dow opened? Pull up the chart on google finance and you'll see a huge vertical line right at the beginning on thursday morning. Notice there's another big leg-up right at the open today? Today was supposed to be a big decider in the markets because there's a major resistance level that we closed just under on friday. People who do technical analysis have been saying that if we don't break this resistance level today then it's going to go down a significant amount. If it ends above the resistance level then the market should go higher. It looks to me as if they have given the dow a leg-up over the resistance level to keep it afloat. Just my thoughts on the matter, I may be completely wrong, I'm no expert but to me it looks very suspicious.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

The only 2 places you want to have orders on IMO is about 1140-1160 SP500 and 990-1010.

Everything else between here and there is slop - here is the reasoning.

If we break the support at 1040-1050 Range we will hit 1000. So you want to be a buyer there.

If we break 1140-1150 on the SP500 we go through resistance and we get to *IMO* 1300-1400 range. All depending on at this point what EUR is doing as well - if we go higher on the SP500 you can expect most of the EUR problems will be mitigated.

I don't really see that happening, so like I said I am selling gold and buying SPY calls @ 1000 (if we do indeed go lower first).

All that you are seeing now is S/R lines / retracements / whomever is "controlling" the market that day's strategy. Today hit huge resistance on DOW IMO Intraday @ +100 and will most likely now head lower.

I also think EUR USD is a good short again - I'm not buying anything the EUR is selling.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Greece is back in the news. (Plenty of positive spin in this article, it has to be said. Mustn't rock the boat, must we?)

Greek government bonds downgraded by Moody's to junk status

Greek government bonds have been downgraded four notches to "junk" status by Moody's credit rating agency.

The agency said there was still "considerable uncertainty" surrounding the impact of measures introduced to cut the country's high budget deficit...

...Despite the downgrade from A3 to Ba1, the agency said the risk of Greece defaulting on its debt was low.

In April, Standard & Poor's, one the three main international credit rating agencies alongside Moody's and Fitch, also downgraded Greek government debt to junk status.

I wonder how much pressure they came under to insert that damage limitation clause?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Yes they are expecting a short term downtrend, then heading higher for a while- news permitting.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Even though we don't yet have full information to evaluate May, here's what we do know:
Employment
Unemployment technically declined in May. But a deeper look at the numbers showed that was mostly due to temporary census hiring. The private sector only hired a measly 41,000 new workers. If yousubtract all government jobs, then hiring was the worst we'd seen since January.
Housing
Mortgage applications for new purchases have indicated an incredible fall in home sales following the April expiration of the buyer credit. They're down 42%. Foreclosures also continued to occur a very high rate, so housing market inventory almost certainly increased in May.
Sales
As we learned earlier today, retail sales fell by 1.2% in May -- the first decline in eight months. Consumers felt less comfortable parting with their cash last month, or more accurately, swiping their credit cards. Borrowing had been driving better sales.
Consumer Confidence
At first, it looked like consumers were more confident in May. But then Gallup provided an update for the second half of the month. It wasn't good. April's increase in sentiment was erased.

Spending
Spending was up in May, but only for the wealthy. Most Americans declined to use more of their disposable income for additional purchases. While this might be fiscally responsible, it isn't going to help economic growth.

thecomingdepression.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Yes the government figures when claiming "recuperation of the markets and the economy" do not take into consideration the real factors that are the ones to be showing the real health of the economy.

That is why the government can lie about the GDP because it ignore anything else as consumer confidence and spending.

In the US those factors you mention can not be ignore as we are a nation that depend in consumerism for the economy to thrive

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Something i posted in the other thread

www.reuters.com...

"We got tired of listening to all this bad news and we're deciding to commit some funds into the market," he said.

Spain, Belgium and Ireland all sold government debt at auctions that attracted solid demand and lifted some of the gloom over Europe's debt crisis. That helped the euro rally against the dollar and pushed some commodities higher.

Again this trend countines, but eventually it will fail, i am not buying any news like this, cause none of it its true.

this comment is more proof that markets are rigged and stagted by the elties.

"We got tired of listening to all this bad news and we're deciding to commit some funds into the market," he said.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I'm not a trader, not even an investor, not that I would in this market but I have a question (two I guess):

What was with today's rally? Was it because they made the downgrade of Greece's debt formal?

And how is it that BP's stock rode the wave too, gaining almost 2.5% today? Was it because their debt was downgraded this morning or was it because their tanker to siphon the eruption overflow in the gulf was hit by lightning?

I see this S**T and truly start to think I've lost my mind. My only comfort is it looks like most of BP's gains were given up in after hours trading. Should make for some unhappy players in the morning.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

Anytime you get one sided trading you can expect the 1-75th biggest companies in the world to move the same way. There are many reasons for this, although none that are mischievous. I was surprised as well at the move today - mainly IMO was a function of EUR USD movement -

But really we are just in a huge consolidation phase so we just keeping bouncing back and forth off S/R levels. I would be impressed if this was indeed the beginning of a larger move higher currently.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Huge upturn on very low volume. A lot of the news on the economy is neither good nor bad, it's kind of balanced.. I'd say that major investors are sitting on the sidelines, perhaps consolidating, trying to determine which way the winds blowing. The entire past month has been extremely odd given the prior 3 months worth of information regarding the economy.

Just your typical ups and downs, except that the economy being so out of whack, the markets reflect it in stronger volatility.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Thank you both for your answers, such as they are. Reminds me a little of some of the explanations I've gotten regarding algebra and what happened to "two" phase electricity.
Or at least my comprehension of those answers.

Guess I just don't want to see fundamentals apply. As I live and breathe on the struggling streets of the USSA, and watch the decimation of the gulf I just want to see blood in the streets, so to speak.

I really do understand your explanations somewhat but it doesn't help make me feel any more sane.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I feel your pain.

Am having to learn an entirely new API right now and I think I just sat at my computer for 6.5+hours straight and I am dumber than I was before I sat down.

Anyway, regarding the market, to really understand technical intraday movements etc. is a lifetime of learning. Then you have to fight through the randomness as well to see the real technical attributes. Anyway, best idea would be to never get into it because it just leads to an early heart attack.

Enjoy the math text books. They are your real friend.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The VIX is down significantly. Amex Volume is up. All indexes appear in an up trend.

I am fully invested temporarily.

I'm looking for a 10% bump followed by a downtrend.

No reason for optimism at this point IMHO.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Interesting news, two of the most recipients of tax payer bailout are been taken from the NYSE listing.

I don't bite into the reasons given.

FHFA’s determination to direct each company to delist does not constitute any reflection on either Enterprise’s current performance or future direction, nor does delisting imply any other findings or determination on the part of FHFA as regulator or conservator," Edward J. DeMarco, the FHFA Acting Director, stated in a press release. “The determination to direct delisting is related to stock exchange requirements for maintaining price levels and curing deficiencies.”

www.cnbc.com...

top topics

<< 685  686  687    689  690  691 >>

join