It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 684
<< 681  682  683    685  686  687 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
i.e. Apple is really worth $58 rather than the $258 garbage on the
DOW presently... and A

How are you figuring Apple's value? On a fundamental basis Apple has $200 billion of market cap after tangible book value. They made $3 billion last quarter and that number is estimated to rise. Let's say it doesn't and let's also say that Apple's continuing biz can make $2.5 billion a quarter from here forward or $10 billion per year. The current market cap equates to a 5% yield on these reduced earnings. If indeed Apple can grow from here, then you are looking at an earnings yield of 6-7%, which isn't really all that bad in these times. I wouldn't buy it here myself due to biz risks, but if they continue to grow, it would be a good value.

Now for your $58 value. A stock price of $58 equates to a market cap of about $54 billion. They have $30 billion of tangible assets. That means their market cap after tangible book value would be about $25 billion. At current earnings level you would be looking at a 50% earnings yield with a stock price of $58. or about a 40% earning yield if you used the reduced earnings as I used above. Nowhere near realistic.

The point is that these companies have determinable values. On the basis of these values, compared to investment yields available elsewhere, the stock markets are anything but overvalued.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by robatmj12
hungary is saying they're getting low on goulash tonight cant buy cheap potatoes anymore from russia the price of vodka is skyrocketing do we need to send in our slighted cnn reporters to cover this story or do we need to send the heavy weights obama and his lovely wife jezabel it worked for 3 days last week but then the real job #s came out and most of america took a bath for the week i dont think nancy peloisi will be waving her pom pom's like she did last week i'm going to track her investments this week she's such a leader she was over at al sharptons place over the weekend he said he did mind having her over there but he said he lost 3 mirrors under mysterious circumstances he said nothing ever happened when he lit his crack pipe in front of any of his mirrors before women it's time for you to go let me take back to your c-22 so you can leave al sharpton was seen over the weekend at home depot buying a few new mirrors for the house

I normally do not post off-topic but I cannot figure out what you are saying. In the two posts you have made, you dropped several political names but have not made one coherent statement. Both posts are collections of words with no structure or meaning.

If you are going to post in this forum, please relay a thought or idea instead of partisan ramblings. They do not contribute to the discussion at all.

Oh, and a newsflash for you (and the part of my post which is somewhat on-topic): Republicans are just as bad as the Democrats you mentioned! They are all the same! Once you get over the "brainwashing from the two party system" you will notice that things make MUCH more sense. Repubs v Demos is just a game that everybody gets sucked into so the folks really running the show can get their way no matter what the people think/do.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well this is very interesting, it seems that is "unofficial talks of BP bankruptcy options been discussed with their lawyers if the spill can not be contained.

CNBC was making hints of it, but then again they have plenty of oil drilling all over in Europe, so I wonder if they will just pack their bags and leave the spill behind and forget about drilling in the US and let the tax payer pay for it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

It's not about making sense, it's about getting his keywords in the thread. Google "Al Sh.ar.pton smo.kes cr.ack" and boom.. right to this thread and ATS.. Makes ATS look like a silly site.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
reply to post by nydsdan

It's not about making sense, it's about getting his keywords in the thread. Google "Al Sh.ar.pton smo.kes cr.ack" and boom.. right to this thread and ATS.. Makes ATS look like a silly site.

Wow, so THAT is what "disinfo" everybody hollers about is! Crazy stuff... you pollute the site to tarnish its reputation thus discrediting the legit info contained within. Absolutely brilliant! I did not think of it that way.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

[edit on 7-6-2010 by nydsdan]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Generally a companies value over all has absolutely nothing to do with market cap .. it has to do with profit to share .. if a stock only gains .50 per share and is valued at $100 .. it's far over valued. Remember, the price of a companies share is a bet on the overall value and productivity of the company, nothing more. People forget this anymore, because it's not exactly common for people to hold stocks for dividends, at least in the day trader crowd.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

I just googled that.. this thread didn't come up?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by PayMeh

I just googled that.. this thread didn't come up?

You may have to give the Google spiders time to index the thread. Could take a week or so or never. The concept makes sense though.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by nydsdan]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

After reading his post I see what you guys mean .. weird. Is it against T&C though?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

That is bizarre

Just random script generator hitting the reply button?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Been a while since I've seen a -300+ friday followed by a -100+ Monday.

More trouble for Goldman Sachs.. personally, I'm glad to see them suffering, I hate those bastards. At the same time, I'm very surprised they have not been able to sweep all of this under the rug.. While I doubt serious ramifications will come of anything, their qualms in China to me look serious.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

New York state delayed paying $2.5 billion of bills as a short-term way of staying solvent but its cash crunch could get even worse in August and September, Budget Director Robert Megna said on Tuesday.
www.cnbc.com...

The State of Wisconsin has run out of money to pay unemployment benefits and has borrowed one point four billion dollars from the federal government to fill the gap
maciverinstitute.com...

As reported by The Fiscal Times, President Obama's commission to study the problem of what to do about the government running short of money is running short of money.
www.americanthinker.com...

More signs of recovery sweeping the nation.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Mutual Fund Monday was a disappointment.

I am going long 1 SPY CALL if we near 1000 with my .1 GC contract earnings hahaha

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I know this is Market Thread, and we are supposed to stay on topic, but, I am!

I could create a fictitious company with REAL stock, with someone like Cramer in my pocket, and someone at WSJ writing some glow pieces, maybe throw Forbes some stock options, and WE ARE GOOD TO GO!,
and my fictitious company would see the stock rise, and people would make money...
and then, Cramer could trash my reputation and my company (ALL planned of course), and someone at WSJ would back him up, the guy at Forbes is suddenly claiming he was TOTALLY MISLEAD, while they are shorting the company, and
people would make money.

So, the moral is this. WALL STREET is for crooks and suckers.

Market valuation....Jesus H. Christ. They could care less about the company STOCK represents, and it shows.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Futures indicate that Europe will continue it's spiral, while the Dow will be up 60 points after reaching a low of 9700.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Moral of the story is,

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you have any idea what you have to go through to be a listed stock on the exchange?

Good try though.
Enjoy

[edit on 7-6-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Well, GBC,
If you know as much as you claim to, you see the truth in what I am saying.
If you see NO truth in what I am saying, I really hate to say it, but you would be in the sucker category.

So be it. Play your game, dude.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

Interesting

Come back when you have something tangible.

Regards,

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

www.deepcapture.com...

Something tangible.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Stewie

You're wasting my time.

Have fun chasing that dream.

new topics