It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 674
<< 671  672  673    675  676  677 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Yes I know, we are not in Iran by now because Iraq and Afghanistan was not the easy trip that the Bush administration was told to be.

You know back when the gulf invasion and the conspiracy growing that is was all for oil, I remember we did a lot of research in ATS about US oil the prices manipulation, the futures manipulation and the role of the Oil producing nations in the world, the power and actually dissected what we could

Is been 6 years so as with everything something new comes along and we forget after spending so much time on issues.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
China to do the imposible, or face the blunt of the global markets downfall and the lost of the value of their vast money reserves.

China Pledges to Allow Their Currency to Appreciate

Chinese officials vowed to reform its currency policy ahead of high-level bilateral meetings with the U.S., but at its own pace, and in exchange for concession on export barriers on sensitive high-tech equipment, according to The Associated Press.

President Hu Jintao said Monday that China would continue to allow its currency to appreciate, but intimated that it could be a long process.

"China will continue to steadily advance the reform of the formation of the renminbi exchange rate mechanism under the principle of independent decision-making, controllability and gradual progress," he said, according to the Associated Press.

The cost to nudge China in a more equitable direction in terms of its currency policy could be very costly for the U.S., however. In exchange for allow its currency to rise in value, China wants the U.S. to relax export barriers on technologies that could be used in military applications. The barriers are in place to deny China and other nations access to sensitive military technologies.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Wall street feeling the tentions unraveling between the NK and SK.

Trade between the two has been stopped

Wall Street Unsettled

After going into free fall for nearly two full weeks Wall Street finally got back on its feet last Friday. The day’s gains were far from enough to make up for the previous eight days of losses, but something is better than nothing in this time of turmoil. The S&P 500 led the charge with a 1.50 percent (16.10 points) gain, followed closely by the Dow Jones (1.25 percent, 125.38 points). The NASDAQ brought up the rear with a 1.14 percent (25.03 points) gain of its own.

Unfortunately, one day of increases does not seem to be enough to put investor worries to rest. The outlook for the morning is an index-wide drop in composite share prices, with some stabilization later in the day.

A factor pushing markets upward is news that U.S. recovery is still stronger than many had expected. According to Bloomberg News and a survey by the National Association for Business Economics, the United States is expected to witness 3.2 percent economic expansion over the next twelve months. In February the same survey group projected 3.1 percent growth.

The economy is not “recovering” from the financial market collapse of 2007-2009, as evidenced by a recent slide. It is not “recovering” the millions of jobs lost in the past decade. However, the economy that we still have is expanding.

www.economyincrisis.org...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Eurpean bailout seems to have done much for the increasing sentiment that the debt is out of control.

European Stocks, U.S. Futures Fall on Europe Debt Concern

European stocks and U.S. index futures dropped while copper and oil retreated on concern that the turmoil from Europe’s debt crisis has further to run. Government bonds rose and the euro snapped three days of gains.

The Stoxx Europe 600 Index fell 0.5 percent to a six-month low at 12 p.m. in London. Futures on the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index slumped 1.1 percent. The S&P GSCI Total Return Index of 24 commodities retreated for an eighth day, the worst streak since February 2009. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note, a benchmark for borrowing rates around the world, declined eight basis points to 3.17 percent at 7:04 a.m. in New York, approaching a one-year low. The euro weakened 1.5 percent against the dollar and 1.4 percent compared with the yen.

preview.bloomberg.com...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Today I feel like Ry Cooder's "Bop till you drop"

Perhaps, just perhaps, there is another beast roaming the markets, along with bears and bulls?

Unnoticed but for its stench...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I think everyone should be prepared for a global meltdown on the markets and economy either this summer or fall.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
360 point drop in the first 30 minutes of trading!?!?!?!?

On a Tuesday?

This might be a very very bad day for the economy!

I sold out of all my stocks on Monday morning, and I planned to rebuy on Friday afternoon. I still might do that, it looks like there are going to be some good bargains out there. Unless of course this is the "real" Global Meltdown! It could be the big one!!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Secret document EMERGED:

The United States has sanctioned a major expansion of clandestine military operations in both hostile and friendly countries, according to classified documents which emerged today.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Emerged?

Timing, my friends. Everything is timing...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Bears will not survive?

Based on what is known of polar bear physiology, behaviour and ecology, it predicts pregnancy rates will fall and fewer bears will survive fasting during longer ice-free seasons.

These changes will happen suddenly as bears pass a 'tipping point'.

"Some populations are expected to go extinct with climate warming, while others are expected to persist, albeit at a reduced population size," says Dr Peter Molnar of the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.

Again, another text teaching us how to read "between the lines", because the MSM are not allowed to directly address sensitive subjects...

Here's another one for your Reader:

www.cnn.com...

And the "black pearl" on the margins of this site:

There's nothing more contagious than emotion.

--Dr. Sarah Berga, chairman of the department of gynecology and obstetrics at Emory

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
gonna be a hell of a day peeps. shes hovering around -200 and thats a rally...
can anyone else feel it? i think this doom stuff is really gonna happen.. its the perfect storm.

Dow 9,851.94 -214.63 (-2.13%)
S&P 500 1,050.80 -22.85 (-2.13%)
Nasdaq 2,164.52 -49.03 (-2.21%)

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Don't watch the video!

Patience runs thin as BP preps untested maneuver to cap oil leak

They are trying to stop oil leak in the same way their bailouts didn't work. Absolute parallel!

"There is no plan, there is no master plan, there's nobody taking charge..."

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

North Korea is to cut all relations with South Korea, Pyongyang's official news agency reports.

KCNA said the North was also expelling all South Korean workers from a jointly-run factory north of the border.

Tuesday's KCNA reports announcing the severing of all ties - including communications - said the North was also banning South Korean ships and planes from its waters and airspace.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Whew.. sexay recovery. You lads didn't think they'd let the DOW stay under 10k for that long and by that much eh??

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

ha..

It was too long apparently.. talk about a head fake.

Still too rich for my blood - scared me enough I rather remain in hiding until we break out again over *11,000

[edit on 25-5-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

If the trouble starts -- and it remains an "if" -- the trigger may well be obscure to the concerns of most Americans: a missed budget projection by the Spanish government, the failure of Greece to hit a deficit-reduction target, a drop in Ireland's economic output.

But the knife-edge psychology currently governing global markets has put the future of the U.S. economic recovery in the hands of politicians in an assortment of European capitals. If one or more fail to make the expected progress on cutting budgets, restructuring economies or boosting growth, it could drain confidence in a broad and unsettling way. Credit markets worldwide could lock up and throw the global economy back into recession.

we're f*cked....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I read this thread most evenings, and tonight I'm just trying to absorb all the news this week, today... One thing I don't seec rop up here, but think it perhaps will, I was just interested in whether anyone here has any info or views on the possible financial impact on the US>world economy of the Gulf Oil spill?

The latest pictures and info here on ATS this evening looks even more terrible than I first thought. Given that this now looks like it may impact on Flroida and possibly to the West also, what impact might that have on an already stressed tourism and property market in those regions - for example?

Could the impact on the business property market (hotels/leisure in Florida for example) trigger something?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

I doubt it.

I live here by Tampa and really no one is talking about it. But I don't leave a 5x5 foot area in front of my cpu either for more than 45 minutes a day so..

ha

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

$64,000 questions are always welcome.

From what I've seen the economic impact of the oil slick has so far only been significant on a local scale.

On the other hand the oil spill, taken as a whole, is going to hit BP, presumably the insurance industry (somewhere along the line), and to some degree the federal budget.

I also can't help wondering what impact it may have with respect to cost/benefit analyses for specific prospective oil fields. The bigger the cost to BP, the more other explorers are going to be forced to face the dangers. Could this mean areas currently flagged as important for future supply may now have question marks placed over them? Maybe something to watch.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Oil inspectors took company gifts, watchdog group finds

www.cnn.com...

Like it isn't the case everywhere. But, they just don't reveal it.

Federal inspectors overseeing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico accepted meals and tickets to sporting events from companies they monitored, the Interior Department's inspector general concluded in a report released Wednesday.

Small beans...

That official, Chris Oynes, launched the investigation that resulted in former New Orleans, Louisiana, supervisor Donald Howard's firing in 2007. Howard later pleaded guilty after being accused of failing to report gifts from an offshore drilling contractor valued at more than $6,600, according to the report.

Small chicken...

Whiskey and soda...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

That was certainly food for thought.

Here's an interesting article:

US markets end steady despite torrid trading

(a few tidbits: )

The FTSE 100 index in London closed down by 2.54% to an eight-month low of 4,940.68 points.

Germany's Dax index was 2.34% lower, while in France the Cac-40 fell 2.9%.

There was no strong evident reason for the turnaround in US stock values...

Any burgeoning poets in the thread? Any takers for an 'Ode to the PPT'?

...In London, the FTSE 100 has now fallen by more than 10% in little more than a month after hitting a 22-month high in April - it stands at its lowest level since 7 September 2009...

(Certainly worth noting)

And finally an extract just for GBM:

(Euro v dollar)

[edit on 25/5/10 by pause4thought]

new topics

top topics

<< 671  672  673    675  676  677 >>

join