It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 660
<< 657  658  659    661  662  663 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm traveling today and I'm on a REEELY slow connection here at the airport...just wanted to post this wicked little heads-up from RR - I doubt that Richard Russell needs an introduction on this thread.

Dow Theorist Richard Russell: Sell Everything Liquid, You Won't Recognize America By The End Of The Year

Do your friends a favor. Tell them to "batten down the hatches" because there's a HARD RAIN coming. Tell them to get out of debt and sell anything they can sell (and don't need) in order to get liquid. Tell them that Richard Russell says that by the end of this year they won't recognize the country. They'll retort, "How the dickens does Russell know -- who told him?" Tell them the stock market told him. - Full Text

Sauvé qui peut! (save who you can, or every man for himself, or run for your life!).

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDarlingFace

What I use is proprietary at least in my algo setups.

In my GBP AUD program, without giving too much of my IP away for free, I use various things ranging from

1) My own prop. adaptive EMA i made

2) Volume/Tick charts only

3) Proprietary histogram which includes a formula relating to angle bias of adaptive ema vs time vs momentum

I don't really believe in things like MACD etc. even though they do work in "x" percentage of setups. But I mean flip a coin 100 times and you will hit heads 50, so..

But if you put me in front of a security that trades electronically with > 5 years of history I can make a program for anything that makes money historically with a > 90 correlation coefficient relating to equity curve.

Best places to find that though (especially on a medium/HF intraday program) is definitely FX IMO. Less participants in the market = great opportunities to capitalize on short term inefficiencies. Especially in highly volatile crosses.

No offense, but NT is garbage. I started there too lol. But that is what you get with a basically free program. I use SIERRA. Easily the most professional setup without having to pay $$$/month like CQG $600+. They also connect to Interactive Brokers which is a must so.. Plus Sierra's developers will implement anything for you within reason for free that you want such as rockwell trading setup's etc. if you want them. They have THE BEST ADMIN/DEVELOPERS in the game with ultra fast response time.

Although their API is a little lacking (IB's), Sierra is just starting to implement TT FIX adapter (which connects to IB) which all major brokerages use which gives you a rock solid connection and cuts latency in half. And I need that when I am trading upwards of 10 round trips a day etc.

No one ever talks trading in this thread oddly enough haha, so yeah..

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

Hard Rain huh?

Wasn't that Kurt Russels last great movie? lol - or was the Keanu?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

GBM I don't use ninja trader or automated things. I am just keeping it simple. I look for the steepness of EMA crosses as well...I mean you have to. The steeper it is the better change you have at being right. I trade on Velocity Futures and I absolutely love their platform. I also use Scottrade to trade stocks and equity options (as Velocity doesn't have a platform to trade anything but futures). Interactive Brokers is pretty good, I just thought it was a little confusing...I didn't like the platform. I never really traded forex, but you can just buy contracts for certain currency pairs like EUR/USD or you can also buy the indexes. I would trade forex but then I'd have to open yet another account with a forex broker. That is the good thing about IB and MB Trading is they have all three in one. I agree with you about MACD and Stochastic. However the RSI is the best out of all of them (if you are trading more than a day trade). The stochastic would come in second. I usually look at emas and rsi the most. I look at smas for major support (like the 50,100,200 smas). I find the smas matter more than the emas for major support while emas are better for short term.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
cool, i trade a pure technical system with certain lot allocation on three currency pairs only!...boring for three days at a time hehe

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDarlingFace

GBM I don't use ninja trader or automated things. I am just keeping it simple. I look for the steepness of EMA crosses as well...I mean you have to. The steeper it is the better change you have at being right. I trade on Velocity Futures and I absolutely love their platform. I also use Scottrade to trade stocks and equity options (as Velocity doesn't have a platform to trade anything but futures). Interactive Brokers is pretty good, I just thought it was a little confusing...I didn't like the platform. I never really traded forex, but you can just buy contracts for certain currency pairs like EUR/USD or you can also buy the indexes. I would trade forex but then I'd have to open yet another account with a forex broker. That is the good thing about IB and MB Trading is they have all three in one. I agree with you about MACD and Stochastic. However the RSI is the best out of all of them (if you are trading more than a day trade). The stochastic would come in second. I usually look at emas and rsi the most. I look at smas for major support (like the 50,100,200 smas). I find the smas matter more than the emas for major support while emas are better for short term.

The TWS is utterly confusing isn't it?

Try trading FX on there where you have to actually configure size

For example I have to trade 108,000 size = 1 lot basically after I convert AUD to USD.. what a headache

But it is good once you get to know it (like anything) but it is also resource intensive. But they do have a IB GATEWAY which cuts resource use in half.

MB is ok.. I just need IB for their deep liquidity, plus for GBP AUD I can get a spread of .00005 sometimes (yes, half of 1 pip) with 1,000,000 size on the bid/ask. Try finding that anywhere else on the planet including dukascopy/currenex etc.

The only place you can find better is when you pay no spread and have a monster account with JP Morgan where you have millions in an account with basically no leverage.

Regarding steepness etc. What I have found that I will share with you that is a quasi golden ticket depending on how you implement but think hard about quantitatively defining what you are seeing vs. time.

Add about literally 18 hours +/ day of work for 2 years and then you can have the same.

I understand most people will never be able to accomplish this just bc of the time factor involved in creating these things. Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, over the past year I have had a #ty auto-immune disease hit me and I haven't really left the house much so you can imagine I spend all my time doing this.

But just like golf, any sport or whatever, if you practice like a professional that mentally sets you up to play like a professional if you catch my drift.

If I was you I would start to automate everything. Take a couple weekends/holidays/days off work - get comfortable with some software and try it out. At least you will know statistically over a large enough sample if your theories are viable instead of wasting all your time and money.

But we are coming from 2 different views as well. The only time I don't play it by the book is when i am risking 50% account size on micro forex trying to hit a 5 dollar lottery ticket lol.

What you are saying about your ES Point etc.

If you are risking 1 ES Point @ 20 Contracts = $1,000 if you are wrong.

If you want that professionally managed that would mean you would coincidentally need a $50,000 account size to start. I still think you would be better off pyramiding into the trade and adding if your setup is within a deviation or two of the original plan.

What I am saying is your setups I am sure could be 25-50% more efficient. Multiply that times 5 years of trading and I will let you buy us a ticket to Majorca where we will live like kings haha.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Boring is the best kind of money my friend

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by OBE1

Hard Rain huh?

I think it was Michael Douglas wasn't it?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

hmm..

www.imdb.com...

Oh, my old friend C^2 Slater.

Gleaming the cube - what a great movie

[edit on 18-5-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Summary Of Today's Festivities From Goldman and Morgan Stanley: Run From The Euro
www.zerohedge.com...

The whole world is still stunned from what just happened today. In essence, Germany has taken a major step to not only declaring it is the master of the European continent and all those who don't like it can just focus on their own bankrupt banks (Sarkozy), but is breaking ranks with the US, as the surprising nature of today's move was aimed not so much at European "speculators" but at Wall Street. Furthermore, knowing full well it may soon lose access to US capital markets, Germany is likely preparing to abandon the EU and EMU (to which "good riddance" is likely all it has to say). But the key implication from today is that Bernanke must now move with urgency to find a way to keep the pressure on the dollar as he is now solidly losing the currency devaluation race. The impact of this on major multinationals and on the "must do" reflation experiment could be cataclysmic. Additionally, without gobs of new domestic liquidity to prop it up, the US market will now likely collapse, further forcing Bernanke to act against the interests of the US Middle class and America's savers. We can not wait to see what he pulls out of his sleeve. With ZIRP ravaging the nation, and negative interest rates still illegal, he may just find his hands very much tied.

In the meantime, here are some preliminary shocked observations on today's events from Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley.

GS' Erik Nielsen:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Can you explain to me about what you mean with the EMA in relation to time? EMAs are based on time periods aren't they? By the way I love your signature lol.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

reply to post by OBE1

Hard Rain huh?

Bob Dylan

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

Oh, what did you see, my blue eyed son ?
And what did you see, my darling young one ?
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin'
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin'
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.

Not much talk about Polish air-crash, still.. Europe suffers storm right now... It's freezing. There is reason for fear. The price for political factory "EU" turned out to be very high. They will probably follow in Chinese steps. Protectionism. They have no choice. May turn out to be everyone on his own eventually.

We may yet see creation of blocks as Orwell predicted in his famous book.

Damn, it's gonna be interesting

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The bottom continues to descend...

EUR 1.21579

GBP 1.42776

JPY 91.951

EUR/JPY 111.89

OUCHY!

All FX are now below my ~line in the sand~ calls

[edit on 5/18/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MrDarlingFace

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

had to draw the line somewhere

don't be afraid to go the other way bc if you cant beat them join them

kind of like the Borg lol

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Yep i was thinking of black rain.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I was thinking of that movie with him and keanu where they surf at the end and kurt r dies in the surf..

they had the dead pres. masks

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

GBM wow so you entered in propriety data based on those things? That would definitely be tedious. Are you trying to sell it?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

reply to post by jefwane

Looks like we now know why the DAX has stabilized over the past 2 days.

Someone knew something was up and took full advantage of that.

Yes i agree and thats why i tried to tell you it's a loaded game.

i'm sticking with euro's for now because i think attension will turn towards the UK but i still see it as we are embrased in a deadly dive to the bottom.

Nice europe can ban naked shorts and give a few hours notice and reminds me of bankers rules when playing pontoon.

Have you seen the vid doing the rounds called meltup ?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

It's not a loaded game.

Although if one major player (central bank/gov) takes advantage it is your job as a market participant to recognize these things and also take advantage.

There will always be disparities, but loaded game it is not because over the long term even the fed cannot continually buck a trend. They can just start one and hope that other large speculators will see this * quantitatively* and follow the trend out.

Central banks and governments lose all the time. Case in point Saudi Arabia and their stupid asses going to euro's 4-5 months ago as everyone else was saying the same thing. I had to laugh because only suckers go in at a historical top.

top topics

<< 657  658  659    661  662  663 >>

join