It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Then we have GM they are now at the lowest since 1933, more bad news for the markets.

I think that people were so disgusted by the bailout, that they've forgotten how scary this GM situation is. They will take dozens of suppliers out with them, who will in turn take down Chrysler and (likely) Ford. It's also doubtful that they would emerge as a strong corporation after the restructuring.

But "bridge loans" won't work either, because their brand-names are simply shot. The market doesn't want their logos.

Kiss Detroit goodbye.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by elston

Well that was the intention...not the result...earache setting in...

New Highs 5 4 1 78
New Lows 876 178 526 533

WOW I'm hearing all kind of hollerin' in the pits today!!! LOUD...

[edit on 3/6/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
"Thirty year bonds beat stocks"?

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by theWCH

I agree but sadly if the fail so everything that is linked to them, just like a bundle of goods at the end the littler guy will lose the most.

Still people forgot that the only reason the markets rally this week was due to China coming out with news of an economic stimulus to their nation.

I think they were playing to see how easy the markets could be manipulated, occurs they backed off on their news.

The are waiting for Obamas stimulus to hit the tax payer so they can cash out of the "good luck of Americas tax payer" when they go out to spend on Chinese mostly made goods

[edit on 6-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
For what it's worth, yes confidence has been eroding in Obama but the man has only been in office for less than 50 days and although many of you fear he is a dictator, he still has to abide by Washington politics! If he intends on change, it will be a slow change unless he wants to become a dictator. I'd love to see the reactions of some of you to that!

Let's just be real here and quit the finger pointing and partisan crybabying... It makes no difference if it is Obama, McCain, Paul or Bush in office... seriously.

We can all play the blame game all the way back to Woodrow Wilson.

And you are very narrow minded if you think this entire global collapse is due to just housing. That was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

Greed has been driving too many powerful people too long. These powerful people, whether by conspiracy or circumstance, have been paying for BOTH sides of the aisle. To be honest, I sometimes look at the 'bailouts' and dilution of wealth that is going on and I wonder if this collapse is orchestrated to throw those greedy bastards at the top out of power. Want conspiracy? Try this one:
Certain banking families were paying for politicians for decades. Any politician that tried to interfere met severe resistance (or worse). Politicians decide to play ball, and as long as the economy is going well, Americans are prospering and no harm done. Eventually the politicians decide that enough is enough as the greed was getting too bad. Why not just let the greedy banker families implode on themselves? Then you just turn up the printing presses and let these greedsters watch their wealth dissolve away!

Far fetched, I know. But so much these days seems to make little sense. All I know is that finger pointing and playing the blame-game gets us nowhere. What, you want to impeach Obama because he is basically playing the same game Bush did except the money is going to bankers instead of defense contractors?

Same stuff, different day. Let's put our energies back into watching the actual market and speculating on ways we can preserve whatever little wealth we still have. I'd rather know what is around the bend than feel false gratification by winning a pointless flamewar in a conspiracy forum thread.

Upturn at 2pm, so far my +/-50 is holding!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Some economist was on The Today Show this morning, saying that they used to view Michigan as an outlier, due to the industrial base, but now they view it as a leading indicator. If we're a leading indicator, let me tell you, things are going to get ugly.

On the cheery side, I don't have very far to fall.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

He is not a dictator by any means, he actually have a vision for American but the system that has been ruling America for so long will make his vision fail.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
EQUITY INDEXES
VALUE CHANGE % CHANGE
S&P 500 671.60 -10.95 -1.60
NASDAQ 1,277.68 -21.91 -1.69
Russell 2000 345.77 -3.68 -1.05
S&P/TSX Comp 7,552.10 -77.07 -1.01
Mexico Bolsa 17,018.53 -346.49 -2.00
Brazil Bovespa 37,052.47 -316.46 -0.85

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
WOW catch up on the pages I missed and realize, we have a TON of people helping keep this thread truly Up To The Minute! KUDOS to all of you!

Hedge Fund Mariner limits Withdrawls

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Mariner Investment Group, a big Harrison, N.Y.-based hedge fund firm, has raised a so-called gate this week on one of its funds to limit redemptions, becoming the latest firm in the industry to lock up nervous investors.

The Mariner Opportunities Fund, LP, which focuses on distressed debt and special situations, allows investors to withdraw money at the end of each quarter.

Redemptions for March 31 have been so large that the fund doesn't have enough cash to meet those requests without selling assets or borrowing money, the firm said in a letter to investors.

"It is imprudent (and unduly burdensome on remaining investors) to access credit facilities or sell assets at fire-sale prices in order to raise cash to meet those redemptions," Mariner principals Mark Weissman and Adam Cohen wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by MarketWatch on Friday.
Mariner is putting up a gate that will limit total redemptions to 10% of the net asset value of the Mariner Opportunities Fund at the end of March.

]source

Today's Tickers

No one wants to work with Geithner, so now Volcker comes on the scene - but he's not saying anything new

A voice of reason

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The current government approach to insolvent banks is "ad hoc" and isn't addressing the underlying problems, Thomas Hoenig, the president of the Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank, said Friday.
"We ... are drifting into a situation where institutions are being nationalized piecemeal with no resolution of the crisis," he remarked in a speech in Omaha, Neb.
The architects of the government response -- primarily Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, former Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and his successor, Timothy Geithner -- have argued that because there were no rules to take over weak, large bank-holding companies, they have been forced to play a bad hand and keep the institutions operating and pushing in government money to strengthen them.
But as the cost of this approach keeps expanding well above the initial $700 billion price tag, there is a growing sense that good money is being thrown after bad. The fact that the government deals with Citigroup Inc. and American International Group Inc. have been rewritten has added to uneasiness that the rescue plan in on the wrong track.
The takeovers of WaMu, Wachovia, Countrywide and Merrill Lynch were "hasty," according to Hoenig. He called for the Obama administration to declare banks insolvent and use its power to take over the failing institution and continue operations under new management.
This would be "temporary" and has precedent in history, he said.
Worries about "systemic" intertwining of banks because of complex derivative products should not be an excuse for inaction, Hoenig added.
In essence, Hoenig urged the government to scrap any notion that an institution is too big to fail. "If institutions -- no matter what their size -- have lost market confidence and can't survive on their own, we must be willing to write down their losses, bring in capable management, sell off and reorganize misaligned activities and businesses and begin the process of restoring them to private ownership.
"In fact, for failed institutions that have proven to be too big or too complex to manage well, steps must be take to break up their operations and sell them off in more manageable pieces," he said.

&dist=hplatest]so urce

Minnesota Bank asks why it has to pay for bad banks

Busy morning on my end, will see what else I run across

Thanks for all the input & help, EVERYONE!

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I don't pretend to know all the effects of the stimulus bill, but I know that most here spouting off have no idea either. People talk about sheep, but here we have cattle, who bellow the same things they hear everyone else saying.

This morning, they talked about 90+ million going to our state (Colorado) as part of the stimulus package, just one tiny part of it. It's solely for construction improvements to roads, bridges, and rail. It will give a lot of people jobs who are currently jobless, and improve our transit. So no, the stimulus isn't 100% gloom and doom, and Obama isn't an evil dictator. He doesn't have much time nor much to work with, this countries economy is in such a mess, it is going to takes a long time to set right.

He may end up being a horrible President, I have no idea. This stimulus package may well backfire.. I don't know. But I'm willing to wait it out a bit before declaring this administration a bust. Man.. not even in office 2 months yet, and people are on him like sharks on chum.

What's most ironic is that a huge % of our own citizens helped cause this problem. Oh wait.. never mind, I keep forgetting that people who buy houses and charge up credit cards are not adults. They are children who need stuff written in crayon, and were forced at gunpoint to buy homes they can't afford. Evil banks! How dare they make people buy crap they can't afford, it's obvious that thinking adults are not capable of making intelligent choices. But no.. let's lay all blame squarely on the institutions.

I think they are responsible. I think WE are responsible as well. But it's the average joe citizen who drives his expensive SUV home, and fires up their 90" HD TV and watches the news, that are the first to spew out how wicked and corrupt and stupid our banking system and government is.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Bank of England is printing money

"Although most economists had expected the rate cut, which leaves borrowing costs at an effective zero of 0.5pc, the scale and speed of the plan to pump extra cash into the economy took traders by surprise. The Bank plans to spend £50bn of the money it creates on corporate debt and the remaining sum on government bonds.

"The sheer scale of the operation is illustrated by the fact that the entire corporate bond and commercial paper market in the UK is worth only £57.5bn, while the amount of gilt-edged government debt eligible for the Bank's auctions totals £250bn."

[edit on 6-3-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Once the roads and bridges have been built and the 90million spent. Those people will be out of work again. This is cyclical. There are many to blame no just Obama. But he reached for the reigns and got them. More damage have been done to our markets since the actions he has taken within the first few months than ever. Remeber, I voted for him, but I am seeing nothing at all of this transparency or change he promised. Show me "ANY" change or transparency and I will conceed. Do you own a home? Have you been paying your mortgage? If so are you happy to be paying your irresponsible neighbors mortgage? Not me.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
U.S. MOST ACTIVE BY VOLUME
PRICE %CHANGE VOLUME
SPDR TRUST SER 1 67.72 -1.57 330114564
CITIGROUP INC 1.01 -0.98 260253570
GENERAL ELECTRIC 6.93 4.05 214450008
BANK OF AMERICA 3.05 -3.79 207617746
WELLS FARGO & CO 8.21 1.11 191014272

FUTURES
VALUE CHANGE % CHANGE
Dow 6,500.00 -131.00 -1.98
S&P 500 669.70 -16.40 -2.39
NASDAQ 100 1,052.00 -31.00 -2.86
S&P/TSX 60 456.90 -3.50 -0.76
Mexico Bolsa 17,360.00 -140.00 -0.80
Brazil Bovespa 37,500.00 -202.00 -0.54

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I also saw we had some busy bees this morning!

Getting a late start here today...now it's crunch time to catch-up!

Dow Jones Industrial Average 6,499.18 2:45pm ET -95.26 (-1.44%)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 671.93 2:42pm ET -10.62 (-1.56%)
NASDAQ Composite 1,277.04 2:42pm ET -22.55 (-1.74%)

There went 6500...
DJIA at it's lows now?

Gold $939.50

ULTRA FINANCIALS PRO 1.40 2:24PM ET -0.12 (-7.89%) 121,103,890
US BANCORP 8.54 2:29PM ET -0.47 (-5.22%) 45,528,702

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
looks like we just completed a wave 4, we will probably have a new low at the close - if Elliot and his wave are correct

Treasuries have been selling off HARD today

GE and XLF started showing some strength, but that fizzled out

S&P sitting on 670 right now
Dow 6500.62
NASDAQ 1274.99

and the poor Russel has not recovered from yesterday sitting at 345.91

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
EQUITY INDEXES
VALUE CHANGE % CHANGE
S&P 500 670.80 -11.75 -1.72
NASDAQ 1,274.25 -25.34 -1.95
Russell 2000 344.69 -4.76 -1.36
S&P/TSX Comp 7,524.37 -104.80 -1.37
Mexico Bolsa 17,053.81 -311.21 -1.79
Brazil Bovespa 36,941.07 -427.86 -1.14

How is the DOW not below 6500, it is right at the edge. Could it close well below 6500?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Dow Jones Industrial Average 6,486.92 2:53pm ET -107.52 (-1.63%)

S&P 400 Midcap has been hammered as well...

FINANCIAL BULL 3X 2.47 2:33PM ET -0.28 (-10.18%)

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
nevermind there it went
2nd line

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I don't think it will get to under 400 but is still some time before the closing.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
China Daily
Monetary policy takes effect, adjustment possible: top banker

What did I say? How long do I have to spell it out? These are one of the first steps of decoupling. At least in this new arena of economic warfare.

[edit on 6-3-2009 by projectvxn]

new topics

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join