It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 637
<< 634  635  636    638  639  640 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
European Liquidity Issues
www.calculatedriskblog.com...

There is a rumor circulating that the ECB is prepared to announce a €600 billion loan facility for European banks over the next few days. One key analyst has suggested that the FOMC might re-open the dollar swap lines for Europe. Update: I don't usually post rumors during the day, but this is being widely circulated as a possibility.

Note that the Bank of Japan moved last night, from the Financial Times: Bank of Japan pumps funds into market

The Bank of Japan offered Y2,000bn ($21.6bn) in overnight liquidity on Friday to “increase markets’ sense of security” because of turmoil resulting from the debt crisis in Greece. ... the bank’s action reflects global demand for dollar liquidity as investors move out of the euro.
excerpt with permission

And from the WSJ: European Banks Head Toward New Funding Crunch

Europe's sovereign debt crisis is making it harder for European banks to get their hands on dollars and may require their central banks to step in with short-term liquidity ...

The Libor rate has increased, but it is still at a very low level. This could be something to watch.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
SEC starts a probe into causes and possible exploitation of stock-market turmoil on May 6th, 2010

U.S. regulators plan to examine whether securities professionals triggered yesterday’s stock- market plunge or exploited the turmoil to profit illegally, two people with direct knowledge of the matter said.

The Securities and Exchange Commission aims to determine if market participants accidentally or maliciously entered orders that derailed normal trading, the people said, declining to be identified because the inquiry isn’t public. The agency will also examine if controls to prevent the rout from snowballing weren’t in place at exchanges and firms.

SEC officials, who haven’t drawn conclusions, began preparing for inquiries in the hours after a U.S. selloff triggered by Europe’s debt crisis briefly erased more than $1 trillion in market value, beginning around 2:40 p.m. in New York.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
DOW trying to touch this morning's lows as we get close to the close

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think it's time to think about getting rid of bgz CV

I would unload at least half now

The 200 DAILY MA has pretty much been respected, wouldn't you agree?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Depends on where you got in at. If you shorted it a year ago, heck ya, cover.

If you think, like I do, that the market isn't done with these swings, then no, hold it and go long one of the VIX etn's or etf's as well, granted it popped hard yesterday and today, but I think there is still some upside to the volatility play. Some of the TBTF banks have alot of exposure to Euro debt, if you can pick which ones, youu can make tons of cash, otherwise use the 3x bear and/or a VIX product

edit to add: Oil prices are killing me

[edit on 7-5-2010 by jacksmoke]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yes but you are forgetting that manufacturing could be anywhere as long as is an American company, the way that the government have it set up it allows companies oversea to post gainings even if the productivity is no from manufacturing in the US.

Deceiving . . .

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
I think it's time to think about getting rid of bgz CV

I would unload at least half now

The 200 DAILY MA has pretty much been respected, wouldn't you agree?

Are you serious? We're just getting started here. This is a real downturn in progress. Some Illuminati insider has tipped us off with the Google Bull sacrifice logo and you want to play perma-bull? We just saw the burning Google Bull followed by 12 weeks of laboring pump. Now the dump. This isn't over by a long shot. The market is going to drill down, baby, down!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
A Closer Look at Europe and the Fed’s Central Bank Swap Program
blogs.wsj.com...

Can the Federal Reserve provide a quick fix to tame Europe’s growing financial crisis? Probably not. But it might be able to help if conditions in Europe worsen.

The Fed is considering whether to reopen a lending program put in place during the financial crisis in which it shipped dollars overseas through foreign central banks like the European Central Bank, Swiss National Bank and Bank of England. The central banks, in turn, lent the dollars out to banks in their home countries in need of dollar funding.

The Fed has felt that it is premature to reopen this program — which was shut down in February as the financial crisis appeared to wane — because it wasn’t clear that foreign banks were in need of dollar funds. Still, trading floors on Wall Street are abuzz with anticipation today that the Fed might use the program again.

Reopening the program would come at a cost for the Fed. Critics in Congress could be against the program because of the perception that the U.S. would be coming to the rescue of Greece and other struggling European nations. The Fed is already being pushed on Capitol Hill to be open to more scrutiny than it wants on the details of its international transactions. The international lending lines are known among central bankers as swaps.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Holy cow batman.....that Hx is on the ball

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
[edit on 7-5-2010 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

What the fed needs to do is ship its printing press over to brussels, and let them use it, to bail out europe at the anglo american empire expense. The anglo american empire did all this mess, how about it contribute to the fix.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
European banks in bonds plea to ECB
www.ft.com...

Europe’s banks on Friday made a desperate appeal for the European Central Bank to buy the bonds of crisis-hit eurozone members, as a second day of turmoil in markets battered share prices around the globe.

Fears that a debt default by Greece could paralyse the world’s financial system – just as the collapse of Lehman Brothers did two years ago – sparked another wave of heavy selling in Asian, European and US stock markets.

Bank shares were the hardest hit, with those in Europe seen as the most exposed if Greece failed repay its debt falling by up to 9 per cent.

The FTSE Eurofirst 300 Index ended down 3.9 per cent at a six-month low, the FTSE 100 in London finished the week at a three-month low, while the Nikkei 225 Average fell to a two-month low. Greek and Portuguese bonds also tumbled. In New York, US shares extended their losses in early trading, slipping 1 per cent.

Worried bankers from 47 European groups urged the ECB to become a “buyer of last resort” of eurozone government bonds to steady markets.

There was speculation that the central bank could be preparing a €600bn ($762bn) loan facility for one-year loans at 1 per cent to help more than 1,000 banks in their funding.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Explanation of the 980 point crash:
There were many stocks that for about 20 minutes the "buy" order could not be processed.. the result was many computers trying to sell a stock with no buyer. Because the computers are not people they did not see the error, they simply processed that they were holding very expensive stocks with no buyers.. ie, get the hell away from those stocks! ... Computers from numerous institutions all processed this at the same time because the issue was a centralized glitch as Nasdaq. For instance, if you look at P&G or Citi you will see a sudden crash with ZERO volume... meaning no one was buying, but everyone was trying to sell.. in 10 mins almost $1 trillion dollars were wiped out because of a simple computer issue. Amazing.

At least, that's my understanding after reading several different articles on the topic. Doesn't sound as dumb as someone hitting the wrong key anyways.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yes but you are forgetting that manufacturing could be anywhere as long as is an American company, the way that the government have it set up it allows companies oversea to post gainings even if the productivity is no from manufacturing in the US.

Deceiving . . .

My dear Marge, I am only trying as hard as I can to see some light in this economy... I've been without a job for yet another 2 months, picking up odd jobs mowing yard, carrying rocks, and doing all I can to get on a construction team. If theres news that manufacturing and other middle class jobs are picking up, by God I'm in the mood to believe it right now.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Expanding On The Crash Yesterday: NBBO
market-ticker.org

If The SEC is anything other than a lying sack of squeeze, it must force all brokers to HONOR NBBO from yesterday's trades.

The definition of NBBO is:

A term applying to the SEC requirement that brokers must guarantee customers the best available ask price when they buy securities and the best available bid price when they sell securities.

So during the collapse yesterday Accenture traded at 0.01, as the below shows:

[edit on 5/7/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I think they made the cut off -30% or something... if it wasn't below that you couldn't recoup your money, and if you bought under that you couldn't keep the transaction ... a mess if ever I saw one. I would bet the SEC is looking specifically at anyone that saw the zero-volume on high volume blue chips but ran in with larger than normal funds to make large transactions to buy up those insane deals.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

What the fed needs to do is ship its printing press over to brussels, and let them use it, to bail out europe at the anglo american empire expense. The anglo american empire did all this mess, how about it contribute to the fix.

The Americans simply gave the printing press to a third party to do it's dirty work: IMF .. funded by Congress to save the World, one hostage at a time.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Now it looks as if there is even yet another possibility
offered up pertaining to yesterdays flash crash.

White House Doesn't Rule Out Sabotage In Market Fluctuation

President Barack Obama has not ruled out sabotage in the near-panic on Wall Street Thursday afternoon.

The Hill

[edit on 7-5-2010 by burntheships]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Now how did we know it would come to this???

...Just one more piece of the plan eh?

Get ready to welcome your ~Brave New World Leaders~...meh...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Maybe..
but oil prices were headed down before all this...
down another $2 today, $12 dollar drop in 4 days...

seems this market was just waiting for something like this to happen

new topics

top topics

<< 634  635  636    638  639  640 >>

join