It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 618
<< 615  616  617    619  620  621 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

So are we seeing the beginning of a downturn starting with Goldman Sachs?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
www.fxsolutions.com...

Interesting take on the Fed Funds Rate

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

The article is correct IMO that the fed is trapped. You can see over the last ten years an ever decreasing ability to raise rates without sparking some kind of mess. Reason being is an overwhelming debt load.

The really ugly part is when you need to role your debt in short term maturaties because you can't afford the 30yr. That sets you up for a situation where when interest rates rise, which they must when the supply of debt is too large, you get hit very quickly. The fact that you couldn't afford higher interest rates in the first place was made evident by your short term rollovers and/or derivatives used to hide your insolvency.

Greece is case in point.

Number of the Week: 103 Months to Clear Housing Inventory
blogs.wsj.com...

Looks like housing isn't coming back anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Sounds like FED isn't worried about inflation.

So they are keeping this portfolio's leverage to a minimum while maintaining 0-.25 rates. They are right though and the phrase is classic "extended period of time".

That phrase alone changes a lot of things in the market. I still like SP500 1350 then ready for the choppy waters over the next 1-1.5 years.

I still think $eur/usd is a great short for a long while. When we finally do hike then we see even more dollar strength. Sounds too easy, could be too good to be true.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
We've started the 12th week of the Google Bull. This is the last possible week of numerical significance. It has been a long time coming. I've watched 7, 9 and even 10 weeks fail to turn the market. So here it is now. The 12th week. Could the key be so simple? I was looking for the esoteric 9 or 10. Perhaps it is really the exoteric 12 of the Zodiac. Could it be? Is it hidden in plain sight?

I am still predicting stocks down, euro up. For a bit of convincing take a look at the Dow chart during the Google Bull from February to April - moving up. Then take a look at the Euro/Dollar chart from February to April - moving down. I think it is more likely ''forced up'' and ''forced down'' in anticipation of the critical turning point. This week will be the final week to finish selling stocks and buying euros. Then we will see a major etheric market move possibly precipitated by major physical world news.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Of course they're not worried about inflation. They're the authors of it!

The problem is that the market has a way to deal with inflationary policies, higher interest rates. The fed doesn't control that, the market does.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Oh, I was referring to CPI.

But anyway.. I don't have anything else of importance to say.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Oh dear god I hope someone else was just watching cnbc with those 3 woman with the jailbird suits on quasi protesting. That was the weakest # I have seen on television.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Obama, Wall Street, and lobbyists
Obama's call to Wall Street to call off the lobbyists on financial reform highlights the unhealthy relationship between special interests and lawmakers.

Six major banks, including Goldman Sachs Group Inc., J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Morgan Stanley, spent a total of $6.9 million on lobbying in the first quarter of this year. That’s up by a third compared with the same time last year. Goldman Sachs increased its lobbying by more than 70 percent since the same period a year ago. The company is under investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission for alleged investor fraud.

Wall Street seeks out lawmakers, and lawmakers seek out Wall Street. In recent months, politicians from both parties have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from big banks and investment companies. The fundraisers provide access to key politicians working on legislation that directly affects the finance industry.

Nice to see how hard our corrupted congress work for the American people while taking money from big interest.

Financial reform my butt.

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
GS on C-span live now if you haven't got cable.

Good background grilling while ya surf ATS.

www.c-span.org...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

If the .gov keeps this up I am going to side with GS.

This old hen talking is ridiculous and everything she has said so far just goes against the free market in general. Basically scolding them for making money, not even bringing up anything of significance.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by lernmore

If the .gov keeps this up I am going to side with GS.

This old hen talking is ridiculous and everything she has said so far just goes against the free market in general. Basically scolding them for making money, not even bringing up anything of significance.

There is no free market principles anymore! the game is rigged and morally corrupt financial institution like GS needs to be dismantled for the good of mankind IMHO!

The whole world need to go back to basic capitalism as it was meant to be by Adam Smith and others.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Ahh, it's just getting started.. should be a good 6 hours. I'm looking forward to the questioning.

Everybody knows GS was shorting...

and yea... that lady was annoying.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

GS already has been buying the congress 1 million dollar a day.

See if that is not enough to make your blood boil to the obscene pony show that is been played for the American public then I guess nothing will, no matter what goes on GS should be hang and hang hight along with all the corrupted institutions in Wall street.

They always had a history of corruption and they always will, but when is at the expenses of the tax payer I say hang them hight.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
DOW is down -213.95 at the moment..

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Damn I missed it all I had to babysit.

What happened, anything but accusing them of being a market maker?

Thats where I stopped watching but it was ridiculous IMO at least that GS as a market maker had to look out for anyone in the trade. Their only job is to keep an orderly market (book).

Im surprised I didn't see anything about it here

A market maker is a company, or an individual, that quotes both a buy and a sell price in a financial instrument or commodity held in inventory, hoping to make a profit on the bid-offer spread, or turn.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 27-4-2010 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

...and the FTSE finished down 2.61%.

*I wonder who shorted Greece?..*

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Wow our elected REPS ARE THE DUMBEST MOTHER#ERS ON THE PLANET.

OH MY GOD BLANKFEIN HAS TO HOLD THIS GUYS HAND AND TELL HIM WHAT A MARKET MAKER IS

THIS IS EITHER A SET UP SHAM OR WE NEED TO FIRE ALL ELECTED REPS

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Sounds like FED isn't worried about inflation.

I think they are.. I don't think they want to talk about it (they never do) because it could have quite severe effects on their business. Inflation + low fund rates = uncontrollable bubbles..

The news of Greece's and Portugals debt being downgraded to junk should signify trouble for the Euro .. personally, if I lived in Europe I'd be terrified of what the EU may be planning.. historically in times like this political consolidation of epic proportions can easily occur .. if ever they wanted to, within the next few years creating a mega United States of Europe, this would be the prime time to do so. It would, in effect, formalize the largest economy in the World, as well as 3rd most populace country.

THIS IS EITHER A SET UP SHAM OR WE NEED TO FIRE ALL ELECTED REPS

HAHa .. I've only ever seen maybe 3 congresscritters/senatemonsters able to hold their own while talking to the bankstas ..

I don't think they realize that ya, these guys probably are corrupt scum .. but they are the best of the best corrupt scum lol.. you don't get to be an executive at Goldman without having some brainpower and a damn good understanding of economics. These senators? What are they? The vast majority are (unpracticing) Lawyers!

It's embarrassing.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

But listen

THEIR WHOLE CONCEPT IS WRONG

They don't understand they are just the market maker

I dont get it..

Please research what a market maker is and listen to this grilling (if you want to call it that).

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. We can only get GS like this? People that know what they are talking about are laughing their ass off right now.

What a #ing joke

___

Regarding Inflation I am speaking to the weak CPI readings..later

new topics

top topics

<< 615  616  617    619  620  621 >>

join