It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 539
<< 536  537  538    540  541  542 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

It was never designed to help PEOPLE, it was to help banks get the toxic crap off their balance sheets.

thinking any of the FED or Treas. moves have been for the PEOPLE is drinking Kool-Aid

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

What the heck is going on? I went to run some errands and the market took a nose dive.

Looks like they sold on the news today. Probably too late to short sell again this week.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

the tankage occurred after the FOMC results were announced.

Banks were basically told it's time to start raising capital the old fashioned way, borrow low, lend high.

MBS will still be bought by the FED

Interest rates unchanged

The dollar took some tankage following the announcement too

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma
What the heck is going on?

I went to run some errands and the market took a nose dive.

Dow 9,749.08 -80.79 -0.82%

Maybe someone looked into the Manual of Traditional Investing as trumpeted by the financial media in the morning praising the old-fahioned approach and found out that the unemployment is really too high and the corporate earnings are really too low.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Right above your post.

Never say SOUTH during the trading session, or the SH-T hits the fan.

US markets: sooooo much fun.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Guys, we need to get up early tomorrow and get busy so no one would find out about that mishap

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

Well it seems some ~mishap~ is afoot...

Markets and FX are over the place today...

GBP is down ~1.75% on some meeting rumors...

EUR is down also...

Eastern Markets all over the place...

Fed is shutting down 2/3's of 2 funding programs...

Oil and Gold are sliding and DXY is rising...

JAL is talking bailout...

Dell being looked at for insider trading...

www.indexq.org...

Baltic Dry 2175.00 -71.00 -3.16% 09/23
Baltic Capesize 2545.00 -139.00 -5.18% 09/23
Baltic Panamax 2436.00 -98.00 -3.87% 09/23
VIX 24.86 1.37 5.83% 11:23
VXD 22.25 1.25 5.95% 11:23
VXN 25.76 1.29 5.27% 11:23

It just never ends...

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

In case you weren't aware, the Fiscal Responsibility/ Audit the Fed hearings are happening right now at Capitol Hill

House Financial Services

Live Feed

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Whooo!!!

Got my 15 seconds of Fame today...

Bill Griffus asked for a name, for a new "look out yer window" economic guide...

I mailed in "The Joe 6-Pack Index" and got top mention!!!

Michelle asked what's that mean??? DUH...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
haha holy cow I just heard that 5 mins ago - they must have been discussing again

I think MCC gave you props this time around

Now, you must conquer Dennis Kneale and you will be famous.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Yep she did...amazing huh???

And Dennis...he'll never come over to the ~Light~...

He'll talk Bull Market right up to jumping out the 40th Floor of Stolen Sacks

Seems the mantra today is ~Profit Taking~...

BTW: Good to see you back? (My Bad)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Its not anyones bad

I have basically been in a horrible mood bc no fund managers have been taking me seriously

Either because

A) They don't believe I could take $25,000 and turn it into 96,000 in 2.75 years

B) Age Discrimination

Luckily there is actually a fund manager on this board I have been speaking to, perhaps something will come of that, or else in about a week it is back to mediocrity for me - Have to go back to the hourly paying job where I am someones minion and have to get my own place and save up to start trading with my own account.

Either way, I have learned a lot during my journey, and I hope even if everything fails before I am 30 I will have my fund started.

But that still kills my dream of being the richest person in the world that is self made under the age of 30 (meaning not royalty or by lineage distribution)

[edit on 24-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Oh good your back to work! Now what we need to know is this a three day pull back in the equities or four? What are the support level indicators, bear flags, golden triangles and all that good stuff saying?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

There is no way that earnings will grow 62% in the 4th quarter of this year. Christmas shopping will be much like last year, as I do not see any reason why it would improve over last year.

I also wonder where all of this income that will raise revenues is going to come from. As far as I can tell, income is going down due to continuing job losses.

How on earth could anyone believe that earnings are going to mysteriously increase by that much-what a joke!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Oil and Gold are sliding and DXY is rising...

It's oil as a prime commodity that is often used to "adjust" the level of other investments. It was lagging behind the Dow's growth.

What happens after oil goes down by 4%?

I can only vaguely remember in detail, but it subdues the share prices climbing unrestricted. It takes on a role of a prime indicator and unless it shows up in steady green, no one goes anywhere.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Welcome back, GBM.
Let's see the latest Green Bullish & Magical charts/predictions.

As you all are aware....
THE BULL MARKET RALLY IS STILL IN EFFECT!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate

Oh good your back to work! Now what we need to know is this a three day pull back in the equities or four? What are the support level indicators, bear flags, golden triangles and all that good stuff saying?

Interesting you ask that

In red - 20 EMA

In Blue - 50 EMA

In Green - 200 EMA

We are now at Resistance 2 Territory.

If you remember at R1 we had about an 8% pullback and you can see that with that big bear flag about 2 months ago

Now this is either ANOTHER test of the 20 EMA.. if we break this we will def. see the 50 EMA (in blue) and if it breaks that we will 99% chance see the 200 EMA (in green)

Now, which one will it do? I don't know mang'.. just play accordingly IMO - in a bull market techincal indicators IMO are the best way of playing the game, but if I was a betting man (and I am) I am guessing we go up tomorrow judging by todays price action, but that is just more of a 55/45 feeling

Here

[edit on 24-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
We must investigate the reason why oil prices pulled back . . .

The leading reason is known: the oil traders anticipate weakening demand for the commodity. But what is the reason for this anticipation?

Well, the production and mostly the distribution of goods need refined oil as energy. That means if more and more people work, more energy is needed. And that means, the oil trades had to consult the unemployment stat to start anticipating. It stands to reason that the figures shifted unexpectedly.

Earlier, investors had cheered a report that showed the number of U.S. workers filing new claims for jobless benefits fell by 21,000 last week, when economists were expecting an increase of 5,000. A less-volatile gauge of claims fell to an eight-month low.

See.

What? What is that you can't understand this time, Stander?

Well, if the unemployment figures unexpectedly decreased, that means more people start working again, more energy is needed and that creates higher demand for oil, not the opposite.

Stander, stop playing wise ass. There are other considerations.

What considerations?

Other considerations.

Like weak dollar?

Exactly.

But weak dollar favors US export. That means more people join the work force to do the export and more energy is needed and that creates demand for oil.

Stander, stop playing wise ass, will'ya? The reversed flow of dollar will cause China and Japan having less dollars to buy stuff in America.

What stuff?

That stuff.

Oh, that stuff.

Yep.

Sooo?

US May Face 'Armageddon' If China, Japan Don't Buy Debt

www.cnbc.com...

What are the average unemployment figures during Armageddon?

Look at the Bible.

Which part?

The Book of Numbers. Duh.

Do you understand now while oil prices went down and not up?

We must pray . . .

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said G20 countries had reached a consensus on the "basic outline" of a proposal to limit pay and bonuses by the end of 2009.

Each country would set their own standards, he said, but that these would be overseen by the G20's Financial Stability Board - made up of central bankers and regulators.

Earlier, Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling warned bankers that the "party was over" and they must realise that the world has changed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Oh my darling, oh my darling...

Party Over, ne?

No, Party Overseers, ye!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Must be the UK is freaking about that ~Special~ meeting tomorrow...

GBP is now ~2.05% down...~2.55%...

British Pound Tumbles as the Outlook for a Robust UK Recovery Fades
www.dailyfx.com...

Hmmm...nice little pop in all 3 major foreign FX...wonder what that's about?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have to say, today is the first time since last October that I've seen every single thing on the Google Finance charts go into the red.

Not that i've checked it every day, mind you, but it has been quite a while. Almost everything had a 1-2% loss today, except, bizarrely the USD gained almost 1%?

Odd, very odd. Well, the TSEC was up a little bit too, but still strange for the USD to gain while every other stock on the charts went down.

top topics

<< 536  537  538    540  541  542 >>

join