It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 531
<< 528  529  530    532  533  534 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
I would take .30 off of the DXY all day long, every day, for 100+ points on the DOW.

Think about the $ you can make off of futures contracts and options?

Now, when will this exactly happen is the harder part to take advantage.

What are you talking about?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
people worried about the falling dollar - i am saying i dont care (unless sit "x" happens)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

people worried about the falling dollar - i am saying i dont care (unless sit "x" happens)

Well you should care considering you'll have to pay more for everything.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

not specifically in this country

dollar index falls .30 cents

i still pay the same for this candy bar, and i still get paid the same salary (assuming i was an employed ind.)

plus I have x100 more money actually since I was smart enough to play index futures and options of course

this all assumes that i know what is going to happen everyday

unless you are travelling to bermuda to do your back to school shopping or something it really doesnt affect you in the USA

example:

dollar was strong 6-7 months ago

nothing was cheaper at all to me that I can remember - and dollar sucks right now.. nothing seems more expensive.. maybe gas a bit i suppose, thats like 30 cents higher

[edit on 16-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

edit: and thats why I said I would take it every day all day assuming I knew what was going to happen

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Sorry but you are terribly misinformed that you are not affected by the dollar's decline unless you travel. Commodities go up (oil, food, steel, etc.), we pay more for imports, etc. You are right, your salary does stay the same. Meaning if you get paid 20,000 a year, and your expenses are up 2 thousand/year, then you are affected by the dollar's decline.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

You will have to show me where this sort of increase has come true.

Not only that but the market counter-acts this "inflation" - or just sleep with gold under your pillow, assuming its still valued in dollars

But just do this, show me how the falling dollar has affected your life in the past 6 months (minus the oil prices that really do not affect you if the market is climbing by 100 pts everyday)

In fact, if you were invested from March, you have made hand over fist what the dollar has lost you, I hate this debate/argument, because it just doesnt make sense to me.

Man even PS3 has come down in price since then!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

nothing was cheaper at all to me that I can remember - and dollar sucks right now.. nothing seems more expensive.. maybe gas a bit i suppose, thats like 30 cents higher

Considering you still live at your parent's house, it leads one to wonder just how many things you actually have to pay for.

Groceries?
Utilities?
Clothing?
Appliances?

All of these areas are having increases in the cost to consumers.

even that candy bar you think costs the same has probably actually increased in cost by 20 cents (from 65 to 85 cents) OR the actual size of that candy bar has decreased if the cost has remained the same.

ETA: BTW, the ONLY reason PS3 has dropped $100 (from $399 to $299) is because the launch of the PS3 SLIM is scheduled for Oct 1, as well as the PSPGo

[edit on 9/16/09 by redhatty]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

No.. clothes are cheaper.. more sales people are broke

You still have yet to show me, or anyone for that matter, how the market does not do a better job of manking you money than a falling $ could to erase it. The reason is, because it is not possible, thats why you invest in the market (correctly)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

no.. its actually just the product cycle and price wars between competitors most likely, but i was just making a joke.. but i didnt know about ps3 slim.. sounds cool - wish i had one

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
and i have lived on my own for many years, its just not right now...also to me groceries have always been expensive, and it def. pays to shop around and not buy all your stuff at gas stations etc..

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Of Course the market will make you $$ IF you play it correctly. It will also rip your face off very quickly when you are wrong.

Regardless of the income increase I can give myself through daytrading, I still have expenses that MUST be paid. EVERYTHING from insurance to sugar to milk to shoes to blank DVDs to toilet paper have gone up in price.

I don't buy my clothes at Walmart or the Dollar Stores, and unless I choose to get last season's stuff on the clearance rack, clothes are not any cheaper either.

My Grocery budget has had to be increased by $50 a week even with one less eater in the house (son's off to college) just because the food is more expensive to buy.

How does someone on a fixed income survive?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Wow GBM, like most people have the time to watch a video game being played by old men in suits all day long. Give me a break. Most people don't follow the stock market, most people don't care about the stock market, and most people obviously don't play the stock market. Sure, if you are INVESTED in these commodities through the futures or options markets, then you will be making a hell of a lot more than you will have to pay. But who the f*ck plays the futures markets when they have a 9am-5pm job and have kids and probably don't even know what the futures market is.

And by the way, you may want to be a big time trader, but you aren't yet. So a declining dollar does affect you. Meaning your 850 dollars in your account is worth less. The money you pay for gas, is worth less.

Remember the food riots in 2007 because of high food prices? What do you think brought all of those food prices down? It wasn't just because of ethanol you know. The dollar rallied after that.

You are just being incredibly ignorant if you think you are not affected by a declining dollar. Incredibly ignorant. Yeah, you could be short the dollar in the forex market and make 1000% of your money. But you, nor I, nor anyone I know of did that. Maybe Goldman Sachs and Co. did, but they never had to worry about paying more for things anyway!

[edit on 16-9-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
ah ha! mr hatty!

thank you for bringing that up

give me a min to elaborate

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Wow GBM, like most people have the time to watch a video game being played by old men in suits all day long. Give me a break. Most people don't follow the stock market, most people don't care about the stock market, and most people obviously don't play the stock market. Sure, if you are INVESTED in these commodities through the futures or options markets, then you will be making a hell of a lot more than you will have to pay. But who the f*ck plays the futures markets when they have a 9am-5pm job and have kids and probably don't even know what the futures market is.

And by the way, you may want to be a big time trader, but you aren't yet. So a declining dollar does affect you. Meaning your 850 dollars in your account is worth less. The money you pay for gas, is worth less.

Remember the food riots in 2007 because of high food prices? What do you think brought all of those food prices down? It wasn't just because of ethanol you know. The dollar rallied after that.

You are just being incredibly ignorant if you think you are not affected by a declining dollar. Incredibly ignorant. Yeah, you could be short the dollar in the forex market and make 1000% of your money. But you, nor I, nor anyone I know of did that. Maybe Goldman Sachs and Co. did, but they never had to worry about paying more for things anyway!

[edit on 16-9-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

But wait, you have to not told me how the falling dollar has affected you over the past 6 months, and I know you have made some change in the marketplace

Assuming everyone has a 401(k) they have gained more back with that than lost with the falling dollar (and yes I know they got hammered at the end of last year) - but dont tell me that when the market was tanking and the dollar was rising you were sitting pretty, that is a fallacy

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

According to GBM he advises anyone with a fixed income, like old grannies with social security checks, to play the oil, natural gas, and currency futures markets.

Anyway.....I like GBM still.

Where does your son go to college and what is he majoring in?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

You are also forgetting that I said I would know when the dollar is falling, so dont give me the textbook explanation of what happens and when, cause I have heard that one, but I have yet to hear the story about how the falling dollar has just put americans in the poor house, because thats bull$hit brother

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

But wait, you have to not told me how the falling dollar has affected you over the past 6 months, and I know you have made some change in the marketplace

Assuming everyone has a 401(k) they have gained more back with that than lost with the falling dollar (and yes I know they got hammered at the end of last year) - but dont tell me that when the market was tanking and the dollar was rising you were sitting pretty, that is a fallacy

As RedHatty said, I have to pay more for everything. Except natural gas! But that may be about to change.

I made SOME money, not nearly as much as I could have. And when the market was tanking, I actually was sitting pretty. I don't have a 401K and I wasn't in the market at all except 3 trades I shorted Citi overnight and I shorted USO over night and when the bailouts for GM were everywhere (the first time with Bush?) I bought Ford, which rallied a lot. Those are really the only 3 trades I made during the market's decline.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Of Course the market will make you $$ IF you play it correctly. It will also rip your face off very quickly when you are wrong.

Regardless of the income increase I can give myself through daytrading, I still have expenses that MUST be paid. EVERYTHING from insurance to sugar to milk to shoes to blank DVDs to toilet paper have gone up in price.

I don't buy my clothes at Walmart or the Dollar Stores, and unless I choose to get last season's stuff on the clearance rack, clothes are not any cheaper either.

My Grocery budget has had to be increased by $50 a week even with one less eater in the house (son's off to college) just because the food is more expensive to buy.

So true, but remember, we are talking about the situation when the dollar is falling, and I know it, so I play the market to the long side - that is what this is all about

Yes, income or loss, daytrading is not for the guy supporting a newborn and has 27 years left on his mortgage

*** and the most importatnt part of what you said.

Classic American rhetoric. I dont want this, I want that no matter what it costs. Too bad, you cant afford it bi-otch (not talking to you) - thats the REASON WE ARE IN THIS MESS, not because of crooked bankers, but people spening WAYYYWAYYY above their means thinking they are rich (because of a real estate market??) that everyone knows has peaks and troughs (is that how you spell that?)

To RR- everyone plays the market in a way, and I would bet 70% of people in america have something in the market, somehow, in some form (these people have salaries and jobs)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

F and GM, BAC, what plays were out there at one time.. i tried to tell everyone i could on here - although not ford really

point being, my post was about knowing the dollar is falling, so I dont care because I know to go long the inverse of that

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

You are also forgetting that I said I would know when the dollar is falling, so dont give me the textbook explanation of what happens and when, cause I have heard that one, but I have yet to hear the story about how the falling dollar has just put americans in the poor house, because thats bull$hit brother

In 2007 when the Euro was at...I believe 1.50 against the USD and the GBP was like 2.05 against the USD, people were REALLY hurting. I was in school still and being supported by daddy but even I couldn't travel as much because it cost me over 50 dollars to fill up a tank of gas, and food prices were rising almost monthly. Not to mention gas/electric bills were sky high (though I didn't have to worry about this).

Maybe we aren't Zimbabwe, but a declining dollar really hurts a lot of people. But...yeah, right now, nobody is dying yet. I am convinced right now the government is keeping a lid of the price of oil as best as they can through the futures markets. I am really surprised it isn't over 80 dollars a barrel yet.

top topics

<< 528  529  530    532  533  534 >>

join