It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 506
<< 503  504  505    507  508  509 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The market looks like it's having a seizure

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32517092452c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Productivity is up, up and up, the government is rejoicing in the news that we are producing again, we are truly recovering!!!!!!!, but are we . . .

Well taking into consideration that the new mantra is that we don't need to have low unemployment and that we still can prospers while the nation work force decays I guess this the way to show that forcing the nation into job lost and cost cuts is good as long as the statistics say that we are up at least on something.

The truth behind the facade and deception what is to be sacrificed in order to prosper, at least for big corporations.

Despite the increased productivity, output fell at a 1.5 percent rate in the second quarter, the department said, unchanged from its previous estimate, as over 6 million jobs have been cut since the recession began in December 2007.

So all that productivity and good government numbers are at the expenses of job lost after all.

Hours worked fell at a 7.6 percent rate in the April-June period from the first quarter, unchanged from last month's estimates. Unit labor costs, a gauge of inflation and profit pressures closely watched by the Federal Reserve, fell 5.9 percent, the biggest decline in nine years.

Soo are we truly prospering people, well HELL NO, we are not better now that before

As long as nobody notice the deception we should rejoice on the government numbers.

www.cnbc.com...

[edit on 2-9-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Stocks Drift Lower After Jobs Data
finance.yahoo.com...

recovery, what recovery?

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Hey but remember we don't need not stinky job data to prosper as long as jobs are cuts, hours are cuts and benefits are cuts we can prosper at least where the government wants it, on their statistics.

Didn't you head we are Producing.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
HK shares seen moving sideways as China worries persist

HONG KONG, Aug 31 (Reuters) - Hong Kong shares are seen hovering on Monday and are expected to stay directionless for most of this week amid persistent worries about the shrinking flow of liquidity into mainland stocks.

FinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews

Thought it might of been worth a look at.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

It looks more like a hart attack right now, in the markets and all those good news and promises of a "surprise" this week was nothing than speculation.

Now the claims are that we may see worst by the end of the week.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well more on the fat rats in the banking system.

Bailed-Out Banks' Executives Set to Cash In Again

While the nation falls in decay somebody is making profits, so hey rejoice people at least somebody is making money even if it no you, unemployed in the nation.

But as usual the wealth is not spread either.

They got the tax payer bail outs and they get to keep their wealth while the tax payer gets screw.

The top five executives at 10 financial institutions that took some of the biggest taxpayer bailouts have seen a combined increase in the value of their stock options of nearly $90 million, the report by the Washington-based Institute for Policy Studies said.

"Not only are these executives not hurting very much from the crisis, but they might get big windfalls because of the surge in the value of some of their shares," said Sarah Anderson, lead author of the report, "America's Bailout Barons," the 16th in an annual series on executive excess.

Occurs their wealth is not tarnished we the tax payer made sure of that.

Crocks nothing but crocks backed by a corrupted government.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The diversity of opinions is rocking the market; the volume is kinda higher throughout indicating that the appetite hasn't subsided yet. But in the midst of the rough sea sailing, a rare confluence worth to mention has materialized.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2e2380cd161.jpg[/atsimg]

But I think that the Dow will finish in the plus territory today. The general trend has been moving upward and the the Dow will eventually hit 10k. And so the investment of some $200 mill today will pay off later, coz the chances that the Dow freezes bellow 9,500 for the last quarter are rather slim.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

If that is true then the hopes and speculations of Monday will become truth, that the markets will be hitting over 10.000 by Friday.

Well I know what I will be doing this weekend, I am going to the mountains for a retrieve with my husband.

While my daughter will be hitting the beach for 4 days ( lucky her) and my son no so lucky have to work the weekend.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Well I know what I will be doing this weekend, I am going to the mountains for a retrieve with my husband.

While my daughter will be hitting the beach for 4 days ( lucky her) and my son no so lucky have to work the weekend.

I guess things have improved to the point that working on weekends is considered unlucky again. As I recall, not working at all was the top bummer in those days before Mr. Bernanke and his wisdom stepped in and made sure that working on weekends would be again considered theeee bummer. We are definitely moving in the right direction . . .

I wonder about how the market will react to the news that you succeeded in retrieving your husband from the mountains. If you find him in a better-than-expected shape . . . you know how that goes, right?

[edit on 9/2/2009 by stander]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

From Reuters: A massive rally in U.S. stocks since March has reawakened bullish spirits, but insiders are jumping out of the market in a sign the run up is getting stretched. Company executives are selling stock at a rate not seen in two years after a near 50 percent rise in the S&P 500 from a March 9 low. That suggests directors and managers may think stock prices are nearing the top end of their range in the current economic climate.

Full Article

Anyone know of any good sites that show a compilation of insider trades?

It's a pain having to search individual stocks.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

t Actually he always been in a good shape, after retiring from the military.

Things are still in the red when it comes to his job security, but we have to live one day at a time, because planning for the future doesn't apply for the time being with so much insecurities and outside forces working around us right now.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

From Reuters: A massive rally in U.S. stocks since March has reawakened bullish spirits, but insiders are jumping out of the market in a sign the run up is getting stretched. Company executives are selling stock at a rate not seen in two years after a near 50 percent rise in the S&P 500 from a March 9 low. That suggests directors and managers may think stock prices are nearing the top end of their range in the current economic climate.

Full Article

Anyone know of any good sites that show a compilation of insider trades?

It's a pain having to search individual stocks.

Aah, there is not much going on on the inside; things are in the plain view:

Bailed-Out Banks' Executives Set to Cash In Again

Top executives of bailed-out banks, who were awarded stock options as the sector bottomed out earlier this year, are set to pocket millions of dollars in profits as prices rebound, according to a report released on Wednesday.

www.cnbc.com...

Why was it so that the financials were the leading percentage "losers" yesterday, when the market dipped? No one was bailing out McDonalds, right?
(With taxpayers money, as marg wouldn't forget to add and bold.)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Hey isn't that the job of the bailouts, to keep the wealth of those in top intact at the expenses of the hard working tax payer in the nation?

Remember Reaganomic? and the Trickle down economy?

Well the problem now is that nothing has been trickling down to the generous tax payer lately.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Astutely put

Rio Tinto tonto tactics + Exxon, Toyota, GM, Canadian oilsands contracts, world's dominant RARE earths producer, yet limiting their export as worldwide demand swells. Ubiquitous presence in African precious / heavy metals mining while applying equal prescience strategically securing remaining RARE earth quarries / depositories esp. niobium, tantalum (Next-Gen?...got capacitors?), neodymium: terbium, dysprosium (Prius, Focus motors), lanthanum (got batteries?). No failure of imagination required to gauge the guile of the guilds' gorge & future bourse of course.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

UPDATE 1-Beijing's derivative default stance rattles banks
www.reuters.com...

Monday, August 31, 2009
China to renege on commodity contracts

A report that Chinese state-owned companies will be allowed to walk away from loss-making commodity derivative trades provoked anger and dismay among investment bankers on Monday as they feared it may set a damaging precedent.
~
While the details of the report could not be confirmed, it was Monday's hot topic in financial circles from Shanghai to Singapore as commodity marketers feared that companies holding underwater price hedges could simply renege on the deals, costing banks millions of dollars in profit.
~
Head of Chinese government owned businesses sends letter to SIX FOREIGN BANKS stating that derivatives contracts will not be honored due to fraud.

This opens a 700 trillion dollar abyss.

There is nothing so invigorating and joyful like the act of being freed from the grip of a financial obligation. Let the other guys worry about the consequences. I got rich and don't have to pay back.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/338419d7d550.jpg[/atsimg]

There is only one way to deal with China having had bought too much US debt. I don't suppose the world is so naive not to know which way it is.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Okay so...something interesting about these toxic retail instruments aka COMMODITY ETFs.

Deutche Bank is going to liquidate its 2x long oil etf, DXO, which trades almost 10 million shares per day...the result?

down 7% today even though oil is basically flat.....

Other big news...UNG and GAZ, the two LONG natural gas etfs have of course suffered from natural gas prices steadily declining, but, they weren't EXACTLY following the price all of the time and the roll over spreads were very wide (when the next futures price is more than the current one you are in so you lose money because you must pay more for the next one)...Anyway, UNG issues more shares when contango occurs...diluting the share holders. But then the gov. said to UNG that they CAN'T issue more shares because they are already the largest holder of natural gas contracts...

SO...UNG began trading at a premium of almost 18% to the next contract...and now? Well it was at like 12 dollars 2 weeks ago and is now around 9 dollars...today alone is is almost 9% down from yesterday while natural gas is about -3.5% down...

These ETFs are NOT investments. Just remember that.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
US Stocks Petrified by Unemployment Data; Reversal Warning from Put/Call Ratio
Wednesday, 02 September 2009 13:04

S&P 500 and DJIA Consolidate Ahead of Friday's Unemployment Numbers

The S&P 500 (.INX) and the Dow Jones Industrial Average (.DJI) ended the day right at about the same level as they started the day as investors reacted to a worse-than-expected unemployment announcement from ADP.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) was down 29.93 points, or 0.32%, at 9,280.67

The S&P 500 (SPX) was down 3.30 points, or 0.33%, at 994.74

The Nasdaq (.IXIC) was down 1.82 points, or 0.09%, at 1,967.07

The ADP Non-Farm Employment Change announcement gives investors a taste of what may be to come at the end of the week in the official unemployment announcement from the government, and stock traders didn't seem to like the taste they got today.

An analyst consensus showed an expectation that job losses would come in at 250K, but ADP reported a loss of 298K. This got traders nervous about what Friday's announcement may have in store.

A few stocks were able to buck the sideways trend today though. Newmont Mining Corp. (NEM) was up 9.17% on projections that gold prices may rise to $1,000 per ounce, Motorola Inc. (MOT) was up 8.12% on the announcement of a new multi-media phone and Textron Inc. (TXT) was up 13.42% on an analyst upgrade.

After yesterday's market meltdown, stock traders seem to be licking their wounds a little bit today as they prepare for Friday's unemployment announcement from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

If the unemployment data are better-than-expected, both the DJIA and the S&P 500 should see a rise in value as traders react to positive news. Conversely, if the unemployment data are worse-than-expected, the DJIA and the S&P 500 will most likely fall.

Rest of the article HERE

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher
If the unemployment data are better-than-expected, both the DJIA and the S&P 500 should see a rise in value as traders react to positive news. Conversely, if the unemployment data are worse-than-expected, the DJIA and the S&P 500 will most likely fall.

Rest of the article HERE

There is nothing more annoying than the opinion of the MSM market analysts who believe that the unemployment figures ever matter to the day traders. As if there were not enough evidence from the recent past where the release of very unfavorable unemployment figures were immediately followed by the Dow moving upward.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Markets are just drifting tonight, all that cash that left the markets is still waiting on the sidelines. Guess nobody wants to be the first to start building the next sand castle. We have a huge BUCKET of sand when they are ready!

new topics

top topics

<< 503  504  505    507  508  509 >>

join