It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 498
<< 495  496  497    499  500  501 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Sounds like you are trying to program slopes based on price points.

That CORREL function looks pretty good too. I guess the set 9,6,12,15,18 would yield 100% in your example?

I do the same thing manually to compare advance decline lines with derivative products.

Apparently you can do the same thing by recording the "Hawaiian noises" and use ACID to fit them into the chart.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

umm.. i dont know brother lol

because i have no idea what that function actually does or is analyzing for that matter, that was just the example in the excel book

thats the part i need help with ahhaah

i have over 1,000,000 lines of code for backdated es mini and its time i start to put it to use for "realz"

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I don't have Excel, only Music Creator 4 and Sony ACID, so I don't know the syntax, but I try to figure out what you mean.

I bet you that Goldman is going to dock from the northwest -- if he is in charge right now -- so he would breach the green min. session-end point.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

ok cool

i have seen some charts u have posted with slopes and a calc. - what did u use for that?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

Well what I am trying to do is take the slopes of some EMA's and if the slope is too far upright or too down sloped and a price crosses over an ema, you short it when it crosses (or buy it)

I think this method with the data I am using will work 9/10 times, as these formations happen all the time with the timelength I am using..

Do you use these formulas in excel?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Funny article:

money.cnn.com...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The market keeps chugging along. But with speculative stocks like AIG and Vonage leading the way, you have to wonder if the rally won't soon go off the rails like Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train. Ay-Ay-Ay!

AIG (AIG, Fortune 500) is up more than 260% this month for no apparent good reason. Shares of Internet phone company Vonage (VG) had quadrupled this week before pulling back Friday. Apparently, Google's renewed interest in online voice chatting was viewed as a potential boost for Vonage -- even though the opposite is probably true since Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) tends to squash competition like grapes.

Some investing pros worry that day traders have taken control of the market thanks to light volume in the waning days of summer.

Paul R. La Monica is an idiot. He is a serious bootlicking idiot.
The guy has been trying to talk the public out of making money the whole rally.
I swear that guy is a dirty commie living under a soiled mattress.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

I bet you that Goldman is going to dock from the northwest -- if he is in charge right now -- so he would breach the green min. session-end point.

This is funny. Check this out:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c534a79c72bb.jpg[/atsimg]

Goldman didn't see the green point. He gets closer and now he sees is. So he tries to turn to get bellow the green point out of spite but runs out of time and space -- and hits the green projection point with uncanny accurracy!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b9526b91b632.jpg[/atsimg]

Or maybe he hit it on purpose. I must investigate . . .

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Detroit news...and they are not good.

Detroit Unemployment Hits Record 28.9%

The unemployment rate in the city of Detroit rose to 28.9% during July, the highest rate since modern record-keeping began in 1970.

The rate rose from a revised rate of 28.3% in June. Unlike statewide rates, the rates reported for the city are not seasonably adjusted.
Rates tend to rise in July because auto manufacturers lay workers off during the annual model-changeover period. And, of course, Michigan has been suffering the nation’s highest jobless rate for most of the past two-and-a-half-years. The state’s rate was 15% in July.

28.9%! And it's U3! Can you imagine what U6 is? 40%?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well people in the news, today, and it was not CNBC, Obama taxes to the Rich will not be enough to even scrape a trillion to taper off the growing deficit.

So . . . lets get ready for working class and baby boomers, because they will have to stop retirement and start paying more taxes along with all the working class that still have a job.

Because is not way that the nation can function anymore with only borrowing and the tax revenue that we have right now.

But We here in this thread knew all about this.

I like when somebody in the news dare to say "why does the government aways waits until the nation is over the edge to do something about it".

I got the answer to that, is because the people that work in our government are not really working for us.

They have to wait until their master tell them that is time to react, and usually is not for our benefit.

Remember Trillions went to the hands of the financial in the nation while screwing the tax payer.

Got to love the American dream.

Will this news make a dent on the Markets? I wonder. . .

[edit on 28-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Do you know how many people make over $250,000 a year.. the threshold Obama wishes to tax?

1.93% of the population.

That's supposed to care for 98.07% of the population...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Nice. China ``recovery`` is doing well? Doesn't matter that their electrical usage is down down down...the real proof of their non-recovery.

Few fixes for Florida's insolvent unemployment benefits fund

That is ironic that you mentioned that because I met Alex Sink, the CFO of Florida recently at a dinner that FPL was throwing and my firm was there. She was very nice, but she must be very stressed out. And not only because Tallahassee sucks!

On the other note, can you give me a link for the Chinese electrical usage down headline of yours? Thanks.

They have a fix, don't worry about that. I just got my estimated property bill and it is up about 15% from last year. Beyond belief.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And that my friend, my dearest friend is why the numbers didn't add for the financial budget office and they are now wondering how to stop the growing deficit and the unrestricted borrowing.

Because it sees that our borrowers that now owns more of our nation can start demanding for higher yields.

But hey I guess going after the swiss accounts didn't made a dent in the amount of money the government needs to keep working right now.

I wonder where all those financial advisers the president have got their degrees on but remember that they are not there to give financial advising but to gouge money for their pimp lobbyist private interest.

The funny thing is that this is serious news but don't tell that to anybody because they will never understand.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Well is going to be more, from value tax, property tax and occurs don't forget special and extra taxes for services.

They are going to tax the consumers to oblivion.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

On the other note, can you give me a link for the Chinese electrical usage down headline of yours? Thanks.

Sorry I didn't see your comment...

Global electricity use forecast to fall

In China, where power use is seen as a more reliable barometer of economic activity than official economic measures, consumption will be more than 2 per cent lower than 2008.

Chinese power consumption :

Q1 08 : 813.4 billion kWh Q2 08 : 877.4 Q3 08 : 936.2 Q4 08 : 799.8 Q1 09 : 780.9

I don't have a number for Q2 09...

Rays of recovery - Chinese power consumption in July up by 6pct YoY

Sunday, 16 Aug 2009

Xinhua quoted China's National Energy Administration said China power consumption in July rose 6%YoY to 342 billion kilowatt hours over the same month of last year.

NEA said the figure was 10.9% more than that of June. However, the total power consumption in January to July declined by 0.89%YoY to reach 1.99 trillion KWH.

According to the report during January to July, power consumption of agriculture went up by 5.05% to 53.4 billion KWH and that of service trade was up by 10.37% to 215.8 billion KWH. But the use of industry decreased 4.26% to 1.47 trillion KWH.

The National Bureau of Statistics said power generation, another important measure of industrial activities expanded 4.8% in July from a year earlier. This is the second consecutive month electricity generation in China has grown after eight consecutive months of decline from last October.

Finally, they do better than I expected...if they are not lying.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by stander

ok cool

i have seen some charts u have posted with slopes and a calc. - what did u use for that?

I sometimes use this online Function Grapher.
www.walterzorn.com...

If you mean the LR line, then CNBC includes the linear regression indicator in the "upper indicators" together with moving avarages. But the MA's there have default accuracy only. In Yahoo Financial, you can set the accuracy down from 400.

[edit on 8/28/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Always remember and never forget...

FDIC Friday Kiddies!!!

Failed Bank List
www.fdic.gov...

Bradford Bank Baltimore MD 28312 August 28, 2009

The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $97 million.

Mainstreet Bank Forest Lake MN 1909 August 28, 2009

The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $95 million.

[edit on 8/28/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Im pretty sure that you could prob. get 10,000 : 1 odds on calling the market close somewhere in vegas..

If you get me a plane ticket, I wont need a room, plan to be up all night polishing off the winnings

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
# 84 coming in a little late...

Affinity Bank Ventura CA 27197 August 28, 2009

The FDIC estimates that the cost to the Deposit Insurance Fund (DIF) will be $254 million.

A cool ~$450M day...thanks J6P!!!

[edit on 8/28/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

I need your help for a second, should be easy for you.

I am guessing you are familiar with math and such very well dealing with angles.

I am attempting to program a new "super" program, one that is so accurate I will not be stopped (hopefully haha lol!!)

But seriously, I need help with the

1. COSH Function in Excel

- Basically I have no idea what anything means when it comes to this and if you could outline or send me excel data with an example of a formula etc.. and what it all actually means - Remember, I am really not that bright, I am just good at pattern recognition really IMO and that is all.. takes me forever to really understand stuff like this

2. INVERSE FISHER TRANSFORMATION

- What is this exactly? Would it be useful as a trend predictor? Same as above, have no idea what its about, like 0 knowledge

3. CORRELATION COFFICIENT (excel code "CORREL")

- If I am understanding this properly, it gives me a relationship between two properties.. ok, but what does this really mean lol?

- In the Excel example it says:
- CORREL ([3,2,4,5,6] , [9,7,12,15,17])
- And in the example the answer to this is .997054

- What does this mean, and what is it exactly analyzing?

I can only give you a brief overview of what that stuff is good for. Starting from the bottom . . .

"Correlation coefficient" is a measurement that tells you how close two sets of data resemble each other. When R = 1, both sets are identical to each other; when R approaches 0, there is almost no resemblance between both sets. So the R takes on values from 0 to 1. In a practical example, you see that the Dow, S&P 500 and NASDAQ indexes resemble each other.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0c70b91c26a.gif[/atsimg]

But if you want to figure out which two indexes resemble each other the most, the correlation coefficient can tell this apart, coz it's a number. So you enter the data (the more of them, the better) for each index to the application you are using, and then you match the Dow with S&P 500, the Dow with NASDAQ, and then S&P 500 with NASDAQ. The higher correlation coefficient decides the matter.

BUT...! The correlation coefficient doesn't tell you whether the close resemblance is likely due to a mere chance or whether there is likely a mechanism involved. It's like when you attend a party and notice two women wearing almost the same looking evening dress. So you examine both dresses, enter the data into your Excel, and it tells you that the correlation coefficient is R=0.9978, for example. You can say that both dresses are 99.78% similar. But the correlation coefficient doesn't tell you whether both women agreed to wear the same dress to the party, or whether the occurrence was due to a mere coincidence. For that purpose, you need to transform the correlation coefficient into another number called "z-value," which is used with statistical tables.
www.statsoft.com...

The table informs you about the chances that the resemblance between the two sets of data is due to a coincidence or not. The best tool to do so is the Fisher Transformation. If certain conditions apply, it transforms R into z.

Regarding the COSH (hyperbolic cosine) function . . .
The name is a misnomer, coz it got nothing to do with trigonometry. Hyperbolic functions are essentially exponential functions, as you can see bellow.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/107895427c8d.jpg[/atsimg]

They are not periodical, like y = sin x, or y = cos x. Hyperbolic functions have many applications, also in statistics. The function ARCTANH (hyperbolic arcus tangent) in particular is the single tool in the Fisher Transformation, which transforms the correlation coefficient 'r' into the z-value: z = arctanh(r).

Note: The road to the riches via MIT, Harvard, or other institutions of mental torture is a waste of time. Mr. Goldman quit high school, signed up with the devil, and that was it.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

After looking at the swept area calculations of a few shapes that used a function to define one side I am wondering if "Tangent" is a better descriptive term for the intersection with the curve?

top topics

<< 495  496  497    499  500  501 >>

join