It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 495
<< 492  493  494    496  497  498 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by stander

Those numbers are the year I was born and the year I join ATS. I guess it was a bad idea to used those numbers after all is been quite a few years already.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was under a different impression.

Hey, don't tell anyone. I can do only two points and then I connect them. Like that below.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4da0a7940454.jpg[/atsimg]

Mr. Goldman sometimes manipulates the market the way I could show some activity that make sorta sense and wouldn't get paid for nothing. Then he sells my stuff to the protot. . . how did you call them?
Proteges.
Yea. That's right. Prototypes.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Our protoge GBM believes in trading with the trend but he did mention a slight pullback in the daily pattern. He wisely usually sits it out when the VIX starts rising. Now when you think you see a trend change then it is time to start looking at prototypes.

This morning when oil tanked and the morning run up in stocks looked a little too bullish I bought some FAZ thinking stocks might follow oil down. Just a session trade that netted me a whole $127. Does the US stock market really have strong enough legs to stay up when the rest of the global markets seem to be off their highs?

[edit on 26-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This "Revelation" should be *Enlightening*...

Agency that insures banks to open its books
www.msnbc.msn.com...

NEW YORK - The government agency that guarantees you won't lose your money in a bank failure may need a lifeline of its own.

The coffers of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. have been so depleted by the epidemic of collapsing financial institutions that analysts warn it could sink into the red by the end of this year.

That has happened only once before — during the savings-and-loan crisis of the early 1990s, when the FDIC was forced to borrow $15 billion from the Treasury and repay it later with interest.

On Thursday, the agency reveals how much is left in its reserves. FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair may also use the quarterly briefing to say how the agency plans to shore up its accounts.

Hmmm...more favors to "Money Pits"... :shk:

FDIC backs revised bank investment rules
www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. banking regulators voted on Wednesday to ease rules applying to private investments in troubled banks.

The board of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp voted 4-1 to change previous proposals that some regulators and potential investors said had threatened to scare away much-needed capital from the banking industry.

A capital requirement for private equity investments in banks was lowered to a Tier 1 common equity ratio of 10 percent, from the 15 percent previously proposed.

The regulators also dropped a requirement that investors serve as a "source of strength" for the bank they buy, which critics said could have put them on the hook for more capital if the institution struggled.

[edit on 8/26/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Agency that insures banks to open its books
www.msnbc.msn.com...

NEW YORK - The government agency that guarantees you won't lose your money in a bank failure may need a lifeline of its own.

The coffers of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. have been so depleted by the epidemic of collapsing financial institutions that analysts warn it could sink into the red by the end of this year.

That has happened only once before — during the savings-and-loan crisis of the early 1990s, when the FDIC was forced to borrow $15 billion from the Treasury and repay it later with interest.

On Thursday, the agency reveals how much is left in its reserves. FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair may also use the quarterly briefing to say how the agency plans to shore up its accounts.

Wait, "analysts warn it could sink into the red by the end of this year."???

Hmmm... try by the end of 2 weeks ago...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Yeah...we're pretty up to date on this *old news*, but, the sheeple can't afford konkulators now... :shk:

Well...I think I might be close here...$807B is a 6-in-1 Ga failure I got right, but, someone want to double check me on this?

I used April 10th closings as the starting date, as last we knew March 31th had a balance of $13B in DIF Funds???

I get $19.2957B...as of Friday the 21st...$6.2957B over...in .gov speak...a *tad*...Colonial put them over the $13B... :shk: ...of course these are FDIC *estimates* so...

Massachusetts regulator subpoenas Goldman
www.reuters.com...

BOSTON, Aug 26 (Reuters) - Massachusetts' top securities regulator said on Wednesday his office is demanding information from Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N) on how the investment bank passes on analysts' short-term trading tips to top clients.

William Galvin, Massachusetts' Secretary of State, said the subpoenas were sent recently and that Goldman has until around Sept. 7 to respond.

"We thought we solved this problem with the preferred customers years ago when we settled with Goldman Sachs on Wall Street research, but now we don't know," Galvin said.

Holy Cow!?! Can you say, "Naked Man on a Plane???"

Continental Atlantic fliers to pay $50 for 2nd bag
www.marketwatch.com...

US Airways raises baggage fees by $5
www.cnn.com...

Bearish Chinese Options Trading Jumps in U.S. on Capacity Curbs
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Traders boosted bearish bets on Chinese stocks, with put trading in the U.S. jumping to the highest in a month, after the government said it’s studying curbs on overcapacity in industries including steel and cement.

Put option volume for the FXI, an exchange-traded fund tracking the FTSE/Xinhua China 25 Index, jumped to 92,369 contracts in U.S. trading, almost double the four-week average and nine times the number of calls changing hands. Puts give the right to sell a security for a certain amount by a given date. Calls convey the right to buy. The FXI retreated 0.7 percent to $40.26 in New York.

“Angst regarding prospects in China has been heightened today given clear signs of excess capacity,” Caitlin Duffy, equity options analyst at Greenwich, Connecticut-based Interactive Brokers Group Inc., wrote in a note yesterday. The trading “indicates China pessimism.”

Taylor Bean’s Mortgage Bonds Fail to Pay Investors (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Some securities backed by home loans serviced by Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp. failed to make scheduled principal payments to investors.

The cash flows were disclosed in monthly reports to bondholders dated yesterday. Wells Fargo & Co., the so-called master servicer for the bonds, is seeking access to cash in accounts frozen by the government that are responsible for the shortfalls, according to two of the reports.

Ocala, Florida-based Taylor Bean, the 12th-largest U.S. mortgage lender, filed for bankruptcy protection on Aug. 24 after being suspended from doing business with U.S. agencies and Freddie Mac, the government-supported mortgage company. The lender has said its frozen accounts may also hurt consumers by interfering with pass-through payments for items such as insurance and taxes.

Wells Fargo fired Taylor Bean as primary servicer on Aug. 13, and received no money from the lender on Aug. 18 “because its accounts, including the collection account, were frozen by government regulators,” according to the bond reports.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Nikkei 225 10,535.30 8:45PM ET Down 104.41 (0.98%)
Nikkei 225 10,484.04 8:54PM ET Down 155.67 (1.46%)

Straits Times 2,613.55 9:04PM ET Down 14.88 (0.57%)
Seoul Composite 1,610.54 8:45PM ET Down 3.58 (0.22%)

DJIA FV Futures 9530.52 9492.0 -38.52
S&P FV Futures 1026.92 1022.6 -4.32

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Nikkei got down 180 points before the break that will probably be their support level unless the Hang Seng plummets. The US markets have the Monday and Tuesday lows that should hold tomorrow.

If you had a couple billion kicking around and two fast computers can you imagine the short covering rally you could create on the Hang seng?

[edit on 26-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
A MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is The Fed Enabling Foreign Central Banks To Swap Out Their Agency Debt Into Treasuries?

here's the "money quote"

The Federal Reserve has effectively been monetizing far more US government debt than has openly been revealed, by cleverly enabling foreign central banks to swap their agency debt for Treasury debt. This is not a sign of strength and reveals a pattern of trading temporary relief for future difficulties.

This is very nearly the same path that Zimbabwe took, resulting in the complete abandonment of the Zimbabwe dollar as a unit of currency. The difference is in the complexity of the game being played, not the substance of the actions themselves.

The shell game that the Fed is currently playing does not change the basic equation: Money is being printed out of thin air so that it can be used to buy US government debt.

When the full scope of this program is more widely recognized, ever more pressure will fall upon the dollar, as more and more private investors shun the dollar and all dollar-denominated instruments as stores of value and wealth. This will further burden the efforts of the various central banks around the world as they endeavor to meet the vast borrowing desires of the US government.

One possible result of the abandonment of these efforts is a wholesale flight out of the dollar and into other assets. To US residents, this will be experienced as rapidly rising import costs and increasing costs for all internationally-traded basic commodities, especially food items. For the rest of the world, the results will range from discomforting to disastrous, depending on their degree of dollar linkage.

It ain't gonna be pretty if what is speculated in this article is proven true.

Got Ammo??

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Didn't lose my arse on my inverse etf this week....amazing. Rationale seems to creeping into the markets, slowly and hopefully surely. We need a big pull back and not just cuz I'm short. Next week will be a bloodbath, I see red. Do we need extreme bad news to turn the bull ship or is it on its way around already? Corus bank is next week....same size as Guaranty, kiss goodbye another 3b FDIC
. The lol is assuming...hopefully no one on ATS has significant deposits there, if you do please remove.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

The predictions I made based on the EMA patterns tanked. The moving averages just smooth out the curve but treat the points as equal to each other except for that the weigh increases with time. This indicator doesn't assign any special value to the inflection points, max. and min. points and so on. Actually it can obscure patterns like those "morning check marks" bellow.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8ef71080f32b.jpg[/atsimg]

The "check mark" wasn't there on August 24, and there has to be a reason.
This feature moves the market rapidly up, so they have to be caused by shares that have higher value relative to DJI. Who could it be in times like these when the banks need all the help from the Treasury?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0869777a5269.jpg[/atsimg]

See what happened on August 24? Bank of America and JP Morgan disagreed on buy or sell cancelling the "check mark" feature below on the DJI curve.. The check marks, or the "checking accounts" LOL, always sit on a heavy volume.

Don't tell marg6043 about it. This is taxpayers' money that keeps the life-support machine operating, right?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

I believe the correct quote is : Nothing works at all, just some sh*t works better than others

Those are trading systems to a core IMO

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

We are hitting that top of cone constantly in the daily chart

We actually seem to be in another bear flag, but last time I thought that, it got BLOWN UP - I actually expect the same thing

This rally still has much legs, and its because again "pro's" know the correction is coming etc..

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

This rally still has much legs, and its because again "pro's" know the correction is coming etc..

Yeah I pretty much agree. We are right now in mostly a 'neutral' territory, where market sentiment isn't overly bullish or overly bearish. I expect things to be mostly flat more than huge movements at least for a couple of weeks. Of course I could be dead wrong, but it seems like there needs to be a breather and then there will be another big 10-15% move either up or down after this period. The fact is though, a lot of people now believe we will move higher but not until AFTER correction (sound familiar? It should. It has been said about 10 times since DOW 6500). But it isn't what people 'think' so much, it is how they are positioned. And barely anyone is short right now or is edging to go short. So you won't see these huge movements of short squeezing or shorts pouncing down. I think it is time to trade flat for a while...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
I think that today the LR indicator will show a line with a slope closer to zero -- unless there is a pullback in the making, which I kinda doubt.

This was the only one development for today that didn't flake on me. The LR indicator almost traces the Previous Close line -- rare stuff these days.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8156276e30d.gif[/atsimg]

What happens next depends on the tradititional comparison with daily charts that showed a 95% similar condition. I don't have them, but the trend may put the LR into the positive slope. The point where LR will intersect the PC line will move toward pm hours. But the beginning of the LR will be bellow PC and the buy/sell crude strategy will reverse itself: buy at 10:00 and sell at 3:00. The BAC & JPMorgan share trading shapes the morning, so it's the more aggressive BAC curve that got something to say to the next development.

[edit on 8/27/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

We keep getting rising bottoms and declining tops that break back down towards the Monday Tuesday support level lows. I was going to advise Bryanku to unload his leveraged ETF if we get another drop down to those support levels. Unless we break through to the downside this week he could probably get a better short fill at the top of the trading range. On the other hand if the declining tops continue the markets are likely to flat line by the weekend.

I was thinking the US dollar would continue to follow trend and sink this week on negative world sentiment, but it was quite strong yesterday morning? If the dollar falls out of bed with whoever is supporting it you don't want to be in a leveraged short stock ETF overnight! People see stocks as a safe haven from weak currency.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Moderate pessimism reigned over NIKKEI session where losers outscored winners 7 to 1. The whole index lost 1.56% of its value. The loser of the day became Nippon Sheet Glass Co with whopping 7.22% loss. I guess the victory over the global recession proved to be just a rumour, so the world has canceled the order of a couple of billion of champagne bottles that Nippon Sheet Glass was blessed with.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Well we broke down through the 9470 area on the Dow so those shorts look good this morning.

Edit:

And bounced at 9465. Now the question is, is it worth it to buy FAS at 75.75 on the chance we break out above 9530?

If you sold FAS around 12:15 you could have got 77.25 which is a nice morning profit to keep the bear cubs fed a few more days.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

I was just going to post the same thing to bryanku - unload it this morning and take a minimal loss..

No one knows where its headed.. but at least for right now I dont think we are going too far in either direction without any volume

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Someone should lift the Dow up right now. Who is qualified for the job?

data.cnbc.com...

Who else, right? A gain over 9% -- altitude-gaining Boeing is the #1 choice.

Welcome aboard, Mr. Dow.
www.cnbc.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
They are where they started from. LOL.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/13326c211d8e.gif[/atsimg]

Mr. Goldman hires these kids from MIT to do the fancy recovery functions for him.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c661642c1fcd.jpg[/atsimg]

Whatever works . . .

top topics

<< 492  493  494    496  497  498 >>

join