It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 490
<< 487  488  489    491  492  493 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

After the June, July pull back the Dow went up for 7 straight days and there were higher intraday tops for 12 straight days. Of course that was with a declining dollar. The dollar has been steady this morning staying above 78 and the FTSE has been holding up over 30 points. Indicators are kind of neutral to mildly bullish. Still looks like a gamble short term.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate

After the June, July pull back the Dow went up for 7 straight days and there were higher intraday tops for 12 straight days. Of course that was with a declining dollar. The dollar has been steady this morning staying above 78 and the FTSE has been holding up over 30 points. Indicators are kind of neutral to mildly bullish. Still looks like a gamble short term.

Well it won't work all the time...Anyway, Tuesday should be a down day in my mind since the consumer will be in focus in retail sales. So if today is a big up day, then I may go and buy some like 103 strike puts on spy. If I am not away from the computer at work today but it shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I really wonder what is going to happen this week. The close of the last 5 trading days (DJI) showed linear development with only a slight deviation (R^2 = 0.9633.) That means the logarithmic curve that took the Dow from the bottom in March maybe flowing into a different river. This week settles the issue. But I think the situation will resemble the infamous Walmart stampede. If the recession is over, you can't lose by buying now.

If the linear development continues this week, 10k is only eleven trading days away. But I think the day traders will have a turkey shoot and slow down the Glorious Ascent to the next bust.

[edit on 8/24/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

For some reason this is going to target the baby boomer that are the ones that even when retirement is now in their minds the economic crisis and shrinking retirement portfolios will made them delay the retirement, so the SS scare will be enough to keep them in the work force until they die

I been sarcastic, the truth is that many baby boomer are taking out their retirement accounts early to pay for bills.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It seems that Banks will never learn as long as the tax payer suckers keep paying for their financial mistakes, backed by a corrupted government.

Deja Vu: Wall Street Repackages Debt for Sale

Wall Street may have discovered a way out from under the bad debt and risky mortgages that have clogged the financial markets. The would-be solution probably sounds familiar: It's a lot like what got banks in trouble in the first place.

In recent months investment banks have been repackaging old mortgage securities and offering to sell them as new products, a plan that's nearly identical to the complicated investment packages at the heart of the market's collapse.

www.cnbc.com...

[edit on 24-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Seem that is more and more prof that the Goldman cons manipulate the markets to their own advantage and those in their private ranks.

Goldman's Top Clients Get Exclusive Tips: Report

Goldman Sachs holds a weekly meeting of its research analysts where they offer trading ideas that are given to top clients, the Wall Street Journal reported on its website on Sunday.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
At work they keep CNBC on sometimes. I just saw them interviewing a trader who was saying that you should buy even if there may be a 10% down turn so buy protection. But he is a buyer even if fundamentals don't match the rally. I think it is amazing how everyone knows this rally is fake and it is just the federal reserve pumping yet they are still a "buyer" because they will miss out on the next rally to the moon and stars and to infinity. Because the markets will NOT go back down substantially because there is just pure sunshine ahead. The worst is behind us. Get your shares, one and all!

Meanwhile schools are cutting buses because they are so deep in the red.

news.yahoo.com...

I am so glad the government has found it within themselves to subsidize derivatives (toilet paper) in place of subsidizing education, which is really our future. In Florida they have cut our scholarship program to crap from where it was a 2 years ago. I mean, trillions of dollars for paper is more important than the future of our country anyway.

Sorry for the rant

Back to work.......

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Seem that is more and more prof that the Goldman cons manipulate the markets to their own advantage and those in their private ranks.

Goldman's Top Clients Get Exclusive Tips: Report

Goldman Sachs holds a weekly meeting of its research analysts where they offer trading ideas that are given to top clients, the Wall Street Journal reported on its website on Sunday.

www.cnbc.com...

The thing one must consider is that Goldman was founded in 1869, JP Morgan Now JP Morgan Chase was founded in 1799. Now these guys have been around the markets for a very very long time.
It is obvious that having made it through so many economic upheavals that they have indeed found ways to get around all of the ho-hum that comes with the ups and downs.
Mainly by capitalizing on the losses of others and buying up everything they can in times when everyone else is clawing back. These guys wouldn't still be in business if they did everything by the book. There are just to many laws etc. that have been put into place for them to be able to do "everything" by the book. You don't get to that level over that long of an amount of time by following all of the rules. THAT one is a given and plainly visible from all of the current and past "problems" they have gotten caught with their hands in.

Now the big one is just who is in bed with who and which ones are watching each others backs. Now they may be financial powerhouses; but they do need to have at least one friend out there that strictly runs as a bank to be able to push around the little guy. They themselves can't just keep going out in public and consolidating the market to their benefit all on their own. That would create one huge monopoly and would bring down not only the people but the gov against them. Everyone has a brother it is not any different with the powerhouses.

If one could figure out that intricate puzzle there could be billions to be made in watching how powerhouse A is relating to Powerhouse B;who is the go between for them and what their status is at that current point in time. It is definatley a monumental undertaking but one could make some nice change if they where to figure out the web these guys work with at the highest levels.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Because the markets will NOT go back down substantially because there is just pure sunshine ahead.

Yea, I read standers post too, if the rally develops along the new function he has insinuated I will bow to him as a meer mortal worshiping a sun god.

We are not worthy!

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Yea, I read standers post too, if the rally develops along the new function he has insinuated I will bow to him as a meer mortal worshiping a sun god.

We are not worthy!

What new function is that?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

We now appear to be above the old log function he has been kicking around the last few weeks. Now we are looking at perhaps a more linear function such as the FTSE has been displaying.

Stander said:

But I think the situation will resemble the infamous Walmart stampede. If the recession is over, you can't lose by buying now.

Some days you are the bug some days you are the windshield.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

We now appear to be above the old log function he has been kicking around the last few weeks. Now we are looking at perhaps a more linear function such as the FTSE has been displaying.

Stander said:

But I think the situation will resemble the infamous Walmart stampede. If the recession is over, you can't lose by buying now.

Some days you are the bug some days you are the windshield.

Linear? Like being more steep and thus a more expedient rally?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Linear? Like being more steep and thus a more expedient rally?

Here is the basic difference between logarithmic and linear growth:

You can see that both curves meet each other, but it took each curve a different path to do so. The linear curve, or the straight line, was always bellow the log curve until the intersecting point. Now the y values for the green line will grow faster than for the red line.

The reason for the curvature of the red line is that in the case of the Dow, there were very bearish periods. The best comparison is to imagine a car trip around the town: you need to stop for the red lights, but the distance between you and your home increases. The linear way to get to your destination is the freeway: no traffic lights so you travel almost at a constant speed. The red lights are like the economic indicators. As the figures show some signs of steady improvement, the lights change from red to green and you start to travel along the linear curve.

The Dow traveled for the past 5 days alongside the linear line. If you project this line one day ahead, the Dow should close today at 9.560 points. But if you force the logarithmic curve into the 5-day performance, then according to this projection, the Dow should close at 9,469 points. I think that many people would opt for the former figure. But there are other considerations that shape today's curve. I called the Friday session a "suckers' rally." That doesn't mean anything until Mr. Goldman calls it the same way.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Everybody is scared of shorting the markets now so Goldman Sachs has switched their computer programs to shorting. I love this game. They were very necessary indeed to save. I see that now.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Yesterday Dow 9500 was the resistance level today it looks like the support level. It will be an interesting week.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Hope that you became clear on the difference between the logarithmic and the linear curves. Of course there are other curves. Here is one from the family of "kill the pig" curves.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

OoooOOooo .... AhhhHhhhhHhhh ...

Just my reaction to the various curves Goldman can create. Quite interesting, I like that one the best so far.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Tuesday should be a down day in my mind since the consumer will be in focus in retail sales.

The dollar is still above its lows, probably waiting for the treasury auction results. Retail sales could go either way, but today would have been a good day to gamble and go short in the morning.

Usually after some sideways movement we see a return to the prior market high with this pattern. Of course bad news could end the rally in a hurry.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm noticing a decline appearing...Hmmm...

Maybe the Logarithmic function is about to appear?

But if you force the logarithmic curve into the 5-day performance, then according to this projection, the Dow should close at 9,469 points.

Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,492.35 3:23pm ET Down 13.61 (0.14%)

S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 1,023.31 3:23pm ET Down 2.82 (0.27%)

[edit on 8/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

The longer term logarithmic function can be seen pretty clearly in this graph of the FTSE and Dow Jones. Notice how the FTSE has less of a bow to it? These two graphs may fit together a little better over time, they usually do.

www.quote.com... tUi.size=620x300&chartUi.minutes=

top topics

<< 487  488  489    491  492  493 >>

join