It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 488
<< 485  486  487    489  490  491 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Remember this?

By Adam Ewing July 27 (Bloomberg) --The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index has broken into new territory and may rally about 9 percent this year from current levels, according to technical analysts at Bank of America Corp. The S&P 500 has closed above its January 2009 high near 944 and has also stayed above the May 2008 downtrend line of 900, both key signals that the index has potential to reach 1,055 to 1,065 this year, Bank of America’s Mary Ann Bartels and Stephen Suttmeier wrote in a report today.

If it were not for the technical indicators I would be a bankrupt bear. Even with the technicals behind me I only come out of the cave to session trade FAS.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Yea, we are toast, that goes Guaranty Bank, that was one of the ones that were teetering on the edge for a while now.

Oh boy, next week is going to be a doosey. So what do you think happens when the FDIC goes to the Treasury to take that 500 Billion they were approved?

Bank Holiday on the 27th?

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Did anyone get kick out of that sucker's rally?

High volume was absent, so was Mr. Goldman. He'll be back on Monday, though, to keep the bubble bull in the right direction.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4d29ec2f3c0.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Probably just take the money, don't say anything to anyone, except those who follow the situation (less than 1%) can't do anything, and the looting continue... the competition of Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan continue to fail, leaving them more and more in position of power...

I mean, the bank bailout is already over 20 trillion and nobody is doing anything about it.

And at the same time, claiming the situation is worse and worse, the FED needs more power.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hmmm...this seems to go against what we were told earlier... :shk: ...more "nibbling" at our tiny Piggy Banks...

Fed official: rates to be kept low past upturn
www.reuters.com...

JACKSON HOLE, Wyoming (Reuters) - Financial markets have not fully understood that the U.S. Federal Reserve's pledge to keep interest rates exceptionally low for an extended period means they will stay low beyond when officials normally would raise them, a top Fed official said on Friday.

"I don't think markets have really digested what that means," St Louis Fed President James Bullard said in an interview.

The Fed's strategy is aimed at promoting a future rise in inflation, which should provide an immediate boost in activity in anticipation of a future boom, but that hasn't happened, Bullard said.

The St. Louis Fed official's comments suggest the Fed will be in no hurry to raise rates when signs of an economic rebound take firmer hold and that the central bank will be willing to tolerate higher levels of inflation over the short term as it nurses the ailing economy back to health.

[edit on 8/22/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

I saw a lot of trailing stops get triggered on the 17th.

ecx.images-amazon.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
:shk:

Dollar retreats as U.S. home sales raise faster than forecast
www.marketwatch.com...

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. dollar declined against the euro and other major rivals on Friday after a report said existing-home sales rose more than expected last month, boosting equities to the detriment of the U.S. currency.

DXY

Change
-0.34 -0.43%

Previous close

Day low

Day high

52 week low

52 week high

Crude futures eclipse $74 a barrel, the highest level this year
www.marketwatch.com...

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Crude-oil futures rose above $74 a barrel Friday to their highest level in 2009 buoyed by weakness in the dollar and by positive U.S. and European economic data.

In contrast, natural-gas futures fell sharply to end at a fresh seven-year low, pressured by a glut in supplies.

Crude oil for October delivery rose 98 cents to end at $73.89 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The October contract surged 6.1% this week.

Earlier Friday, October crude futures rose to an intraday high of $74.72 a barrel in electronic trading on Globex. That's the highest level for a front-month contract since late 2008, according to FactSet Research data.

"Crude oil is trading to the upside today due to the strength we are seeing in the equity markets and weakness in the dollar," said Tariq Zahir, managing member at Tyche Capital Advisors LLC.

FDIC Board Meetings
www.fdic.gov...
www.vodium.com...

Board Room on the sixth floor of the FDIC Building located at 550 - 17th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C.

Date
August 26, 2009

Description
Pursuant to the provisions of the “Government in the Sunshine Act” (5 U.S.C. 552b), notice is hereby given that the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation’s Board of Directors will meet in open session at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, August 26, 2009, to
consider the following matters:

Summary Agenda: No substantive discussion of the following items is anticipated. These matters will be resolved with a single vote unless a member of the Board of Directors requests that an item be moved to the discussion agenda.

Disposition of minutes of previous Board of Directors’ Meetings.

Discussion Agenda:

Memorandum and resolution re: Final Statement of Policy of Qualifications for Failed Bank Acquisitions.

Memorandum and resolution re: Final Rule on the Extension of the Transaction Account Guarantee Program.

Memorandum and resolution re: Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Regarding Risk-Based Capital Guidelines; Impact of
Modifications to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles; Consolidation of Asset-Backed Commercial Paper Programs;
and Other Related Issues.

[edit on 8/22/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This is interesting,

So, the fed hold on interest rates to keep them low while waiting for the economic recovery to be in full gear will end up hurting the consumer and the economy more and will slow down the recovery overall.

Because they way that the Fed is manipulating banks into paying them interest for keeping their reserves.

While the fed is concentrating on avoiding inflation they may be very well helping steer the economy to a full blow one anyway.

Near-zero interest rates and the Fed's aggressive efforts to pump of money into financial markets have raised concerns about sparking inflation.

The Fed has steadily sought to calm those fears by arguing it can keep inflation at bay by paying interest on the reserves banks hold at the Fed. By making it attractive for banks to keep their reserves out of play, the Fed would prevent that money from circulating and causing the economy to overheat.

The strategy of raising the interest rate the Fed pays to banks to pull money back from the system as the economy picks up may have pitfalls, Walsh wrote.

"The perception that borrowing costs for households and firms are going up while the Federal Reserve is rewarding banks with higher interest on reserves may be less politically supportable," he said.

Can the fed truly believe it can keep inflation away indefinitely?

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I mean, the bank bailout is already over 20 trillion and nobody is doing anything about it.

Where do these figures come from? Did I lose my checking account statement or what?

Let's take a peek at the market capitalization of ALL publicly held companies OF THE ENTIRE WORLD: When the bailouts were about to kick in, the figure was $40 trillion in September 2008. Now how many of those companies worldwide are banks -- a half of them?

AIG was a high profile bailout company -- broke all the way down to the parking garage. As of now, their market cap. is $4.42 billion. So the math doesn't work well with those $20 trillion.

That doesn't stop those "in the know:"
www.politico.com...

Half of the article is devoted to comparisons. Not one of them could supply a pinch of common sense into the head of the writer.

Then there are other estimates, which are exaggerated as well:
www.globalresearch.ca...

Here is another figure -- kind of outdated. It comes from April.
www.geithnerwatch.com...

They gave the banks some electronic money, but no one really stopped by to borrow. So the government can send emails with additional $80 trillion in the attachment and it won't make any difference.

When you get this kinda money in your corporate laptop, you better check your lithium batteries. And don't forget to download the latest antivirus software -- or you processes may get a company: TreasurySasserTARP.exe

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

High volume was absent, so was Mr. Goldman. He'll be back on Monday, though, to keep the bubble bull in the right direction.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4d29ec2f3c0.jpg[/atsimg]

I feel we are ready for a run again man

We bounced off the 20 EMA.. which means we will spike.. then come back down to test (down fast) then retest the 50 or all the way till the 200 EMA

You will notice last time we tested the 50 EMA (right before we broke above the 200 EMA) the runs are much GREATER than the bounces off of the 20 EMA (Because of course the index cannot outrun the 20 EMA and just take off.. there has to be some correlation %)

Watch for this.. I will almost 99% guarantee this.. we are going to make a big run here within the next few weeks (but not before sharply pulling back to either the 50 or 200 EMA)

xoxoxoxoxo

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Not quite sure what relation bailout $$$ has on market capitalization. Market capitalization is simply share price X number of shares and has nothing to do with the amount of assets a company holds including funds received by the federal government.

www.rgemonitor.com...

www.politico.com...

solveclimate.com...

and if you don't want to take the time to read the articles I will summarize for you.....Neil Barofsky the inspector general for government backed bailout programs testified to congress that taxpayers COULD be on the hook for up to 23.7 trillion. While this is the high end of the liability spectrum I would assume that will be pretty accurate considering our government butters up every number they put out.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bryanku

23.7 trillion is a lot brother

thats like the top 100 companies in the SP 500 crashing

i think this is all nonsense (just an opinion)

of course, i really honestly dont care (obviously) I just think people are throwing around as big as numbers as they can postulate to get the most hits on their webpage

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

I would have to completely disagree with you, politely. Options expiration was Friday and a big part of last weeks run that was based on low volume, as has this entire rally(bigggggg warning sign), and pushed trailing PE ratios to ABSURD levels. As many know, the expectation is that 3rd and 4th quarter earnings will be much lower as loan defaults at the corporate and individual consumer level continue into the stratosphere. In addition September is historically one of the worst months for domestic markets. Momentum may take the markets higher yet in the very short term, but fundamentals always win in the end and the higher this sucker goes the harder it falls on the way down.

Disclaimer: I am short the S&P 500 through ETF.....and down 8%

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bryanku
reply to post by stander

Not quite sure what relation bailout $$$ has on market capitalization. Market capitalization is simply share price X number of shares and has nothing to do with the amount of assets a company holds including funds received by the federal government.

How would you react to a request for $7 trillion financial assistance sent to you by a bank with market cap. around $5 billion?

How does the government decide what a particular bank needs? Yes, that's right: the government will look in the books. How do you lend out $7 trillion? It's impossible for a commercial bank, because the amount of lending is tied to the market cap. What if your very risky lending practices go sour? Do you think that the bondholders are stupid? NO ONE will purchase a bond from a bank that is not fundamentaly regulated as far as the amount that the bank can lend.

What are the other assets? How does the company car play role in this?
As a bank, you can insure your loans with AIG, even though it wasn't done that way. Just find out how much short was Washington Mutual. And then put that $20 trillion into the prospect.

I'm kind of interested in the politics. The Fed can do lot's of tricks, but when the figure $700 billion showed up, the Congress had to be informed and asked for an approval. I would like to read about the waiver that the Congress isued regarding the $20 trillion. I would like to read about the seesion where the Congress simply said to the Feds to do whatever they see fit -- no limit. How come that the bloggers failed to scream and call in unison for a revolution?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I would have to completely disagree with you, politely. Options expiration was Friday and a big part of last weeks run that was based on low volume, as has this entire rally(bigggggg warning sign), and pushed trailing PE ratios to ABSURD levels. As many know, the expectation is that 3rd and 4th quarter earnings will be much lower as loan defaults at the corporate and individual consumer level continue into the stratosphere. In addition September is historically one of the worst months for domestic markets. Momentum may take the markets higher yet in the very short term, but fundamentals always win in the end and the higher this sucker goes the harder it falls on the way down.

You dont short bull markets #1 (thats how you lose 8% in SPY)

The chart is showing the price action, DO NOT LET YOUR EGO GET IN THE WAY - let the market dictate, not you.. that is your problem (not being mean)

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

There are possibilities in this department. If you couple the sale of existing homes from Friday with the sale of new homes figures that are due on Wednesday, then Wednesday and the last Friday would be twins. But Monday should be a "correction day." Lalala.

These rallies are the "hope" rallies. If the recession is over, you will never see 9k again. Buy&holders can't lose a dime in that case and there are plenty of them out there . . .

There are some folks who want to see the right evidence that the economy can do without a nurse:

•We no longer need stimulus to keep the economy from tanking.
•Interest rates are allowed to rise above 0%.
•Massive government intervention in the economy is no longer needed.

It's all matter of interpretatation and who does the interpreting.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

There are possibilities in this department. If you couple the sale of existing homes from Friday with the sale of new homes figures that are due on Wednesday, then Wednesday and the last Friday would be twins. But Monday should be a "correction day." Lalala.

These rallies are the "hope" rallies. If the recession is over, you will never see 9k again. Buy&holders can't lose a dime in that case and there are plenty of them out there . . .

There are some folks who want to see the right evidence that the economy can do without a nurse:

•We no longer need stimulus to keep the economy from tanking.
•Interest rates are allowed to rise above 0%.
•Massive government intervention in the economy is no longer needed.

It's all matter of interpretatation and who does the interpreting.

I would like to reply to the other poster * BRYANKU * as well in this post.

I know my small post on price action was pretty not full of information lol, so I am going to clarify.

THIS CHART

Shows:

1. SP 500 FUTURES ON A WEEKLY SCALE (5 DAY INTERVAL)

2. Look at how we have progressed from the 20 EMA to the 50 EMA - **I HAVE DETAILED THIS WELL IN CHART **

3. This is a classic bull market run setup. Go back to 2003, 1999 nasdaq 1975 sp 500 or dow...

4. Now I have highlighted in YELLOW our R1 (ON A WEEKLY SCALE)

5. We are going there now IMO (within a few weeks)

6. You will notice how this last week we bounced off the 50 EMA

7. That is HUGE

8. Once we pass that YELLOW LINE, you might as well put the bank on it (IMO - not advice) because we are not going down for a VERY LONG TIME.

Take that for what you will. Every bull market chart shows the EXACT SAME CHARACHTERISTICS and I don't see why that doesn't happen again.

I hope that explains what I am thinking.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

My advice... and it is free... is to have a LOT of cash in your account to keep that short position open. These indexes are probably going to keep climbing until the end of September.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bryanku

This market is NOT being driven by old school fundamentals, it has killed some pretty sharp bears. If you go back and read through the old posts you can see how the group has slowly come to the conclusion that high frequency traders taking advantage of the US loose money policy is the only thing that is driving the market.

There are still those that believe the run up since March is just a bear market rally. GBM's yellow line would be the last long term down trend slope that could offer any technical resistance for a trend reversal. Its not smart to trade against the market trend so the problem for bears is how will we know if a price pullback is the beginning of a longer term trend reversal? Fundamentally that will probably be indicated by a change in the loose money policy.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

If I recall correctly the ENTIRE stock market was roughly $30 trillion..

$27 to a few banks?

Not to mention that the Worlds GDP is roughly $60trillion ..

Anyways, the market is being run up with low volume, the same thing happened last August.. I just wonder what the pundits are going to say if the system crashes again.. how do dig your self out of the "Sorry small time investors and retirees we #%! you over again!" hole twice in two years?

top topics

<< 485  486  487    489  490  491 >>

join