It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 486
<< 483  484  485    487  488  489 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Project In Vitro

How many threads have you spammed with that post now?

This is Market data, not a pulpit.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I didn't even understand what the point was.... Not a very clear writer.. that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
. But since this is 'up to the minute', I like the dollar if oil goes to around 80 dollars/barrel. I say that because I believe oil has a profound effect on dollar appreciation/depreciation just as much as the dollar has a profound effect on oil.

This is not a matter of a belief; that's just a plain fact. The more oil costs, the more petrodollars you need to buy contracts. And that increases demand for dollars. The USA supplies the world with currency and that's why there is far more dollars out there than the country needs for itself. But if you are an oil trader, you need to know where Geithner lives. In other words, you need to understand the process where USD is distributed to the world to be used as a world currency. There is no note on some bills saying "for external use only."

The question is not about if oil hits $80 and won't look back, but when. Oil prices are essentially exempt from the supply and demand rule, but answer to artificial supply and demand rules.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

That's still inflation.. which effects the other? .. I believe the Dollar is the direct cause, the Price is the Effect.

The Dollar's decline is raising the prices of more than just Oil, so it's easy to assume the cost of Oil is not directly causing the rise in other commodities.

While yes, the rise in cost is going to cause a rise in demand for the Dollars, each Dollar will buy less.... so we keep the printing presses running full speed.. This is what happened 1999-2008/oct .. oil spiked in August 2008, the Dollars lowest point was August 2008. The World had a high demand for the Dollar, but the Inflation eroded into the purchasing power of the Consumer, and thus a deflationary spiral began.

Oil being more expensive benefits no body except the Oil companies and the Arabs. Mmm.. and the speculators. If the price continues to rise, while other commodities rise as well, increasing the general cost of living while wages are stagnate it will further cripple the US economy by strengthening the pull of Deflation as more and more people go underwater from mounting expenses and a stronger, faster decline in consumer power of those still able to consume.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
GOD shall make sure that no harm be done to his children . . .

Originally posted by redhatty

This is Market data, not a pulpit.

Geithner and Obama shall make sure that the Dollar be strong . . .

[edit on 8/20/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Ironic that as a Deist I don't put much hope into GOD... let alone the GOD you allude to.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Please do tell Mr Stander...

...How will Mr Goldman secure us a "Iron Willed Dollar"...

There are but two outcomes with two possibilities in intervention...

1)

2)

Would you care to elaborate on this hypothesis???

All Ordinaries 4,299.70 Aug 20 Down 91.70 (2.09%)
Hang Seng 20,090.32 12:03AM ET Down 238.54 (1.17%)
Nikkei 225 10,160.63 Aug 20 Down 222.78 (2.15%)

[edit on 8/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Rallius Interruptus???

China Said to Plan Tightening of Capital Requirements for Banks

By Bloomberg News

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- China plans to tighten capital requirements for banks, threatening to curb the record lending that’s fueled a 60 percent rally in the nation’s stock market, three people familiar with the matter said.

The China Banking Regulatory Commission sent a draft of rule changes to banks on Aug. 19 requiring them to deduct all existing holdings of subordinated and hybrid debt sold by other lenders from supplementary capital, said the people, who have seen the document. Banks have until Aug. 25 to give feedback, said the people, who declined to be identified as the matter is private.

As a result, banks may need to rein in lending or sell shares to lift capital adequacy ratios to the 12 percent mandated by the regulator. Chinese stocks briefly entered a so- called bear market this week on concerns the government would stymie new loans that exceeded $1 trillion in the first half. A news department official at the regulator declined to comment by phone and didn’t immediately respond to a faxed inquiry.

“This move will cut one of the most important funding sources for banks,” said Sheng Nan, an analyst at UOB Kayhian Investment Co. in Shanghai. Banks will “have to either raise more equity capital or slow down lending and other capital consuming businesses to stay afloat.”

China’s banks have sold 236.7 billion yuan ($34.6 billion) of subordinated bonds so far this year, almost triple the amount issued during all of 2008. The banking regulator estimates about half of the subordinated bonds in circulation are cross-held among banks.

Read the rest

But, but STANDER!!! Goldman said China will have plenty of money to buy all our carp. Is our fish turning into bad sushi?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Hmmm...someone has loose lips...

This must of been Mondays sell-off...but why do 2 mutual money funds and prop???

Hmmm...

Could Art Cashin be right?!?

Could there be "acrimony" brewing in the land of "The Rising Commodity"?!?

Tune in...same Carp Time ...Same Carp Channel!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Rut Ro... :shk: ...options...

All Ordinaries 4,311.00 2:04AM ET Down 80.40 (1.83%)
Shanghai Composite 2,939.12 2:05AM ET Up 27.54 (0.95%)
Hang Seng 20,007.35 2:09AM ET Down 321.51 (1.58%)
BSE 30 15,004.47 2:14AM ET Down 7.85 (0.05%)
Jakarta Composite 2,317.03 12:29AM ET Down 11.61 (0.50%)
KLSE Composite 1,163.43 Aug 20 Up 7.90 (0.68%)
Nikkei 225 10,238.20 2:00AM ET Down 145.21 (1.40%)
NZSE 50 3,034.95 1:31AM ET Down 18.16 (0.59%)
Straits Times 2,543.71 2:24AM ET Down 15.86 (0.62%)
Seoul Composite 1,580.98 2:02AM ET Up 4.59 (0.29%)
Taiwan Weighted 6,654.80 1:46AM ET Down 78.43 (1.16%)

Ah...fergit it...all's well now at 3:45am est...

[edit on 8/21/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Yep. Don't worry about the Dollar. We're sending as many of those things around the world as humanly possible. If everybody holds our Dollars then we can all get along just fine. We shackle them with Dollars, and they do what we want.

And the bull market rally is still in effect!

So many naysayers around here. Are you people actually making any money?!

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

So many naysayers around here. Are you people actually making any money?!

I moved into a hut, in the hills, by a cave.. (not in the cave there's a bear in there) only me, my cat and my laptop.. and a few cans of beans.. I burn Dollars to keep warm at night..

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Thanks Redhatty!

I'm beginning to see why the US dollar might be getting ready to jump off the Sunshine Skyway. Apparently the credit tightening after the recession is already starting in China which obviously strengthens their currency against the dollar. The Eurozone might be next to start tightening since Germany was sporting some good recovery numbers last week.

Meanwhile the FTSE is on the rise again this morning, since the Bank of England is still in quantitative easing mode.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by THX-1138

I moved into a hut, in the hills, by a cave.. (not in the cave there's a bear in there) only me, my cat and my laptop.. and a few cans of beans.. I burn Dollars to keep warm at night..

Must be nice...

We have no Caves in Michigan...and hut's...where do you think we're living now... :shk:

Oh...all the Foreign Markets are green...go figure...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
NIKKEI traders finally found out that Japan is indeed a part of Asia and not of America: losers outnumbered winners 7 to 1 despite the Dow positive figures. The Chinese leftist political/economic philosophers are getting the last word: modern capitalism and racketeering are cousins; the remedies prescibed by "free market" thinkers don't work. So let's not get too much exposure to the world market instruments -- our wisdom-blessed ancestor built the Great Wall of China for a reason. It needs some fixing though, so even a small Toyota wouldn't make it through.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

No more cash for clunkers money for Toyota?

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
reply to post by stander

They are having problems knowing how many cars were even sold lol .. they not believe their $3 billion is gone.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
reply to post by stander

They are having problems knowing how many cars were even sold lol .. they not believe their $3 billion is gone.

The Japanese usually go 1, 2, 3, 4... whenever possible:

In the first half alone, about 6 million vehicles were sold in China, according to the CAAM. However, Toyota Motor underperformed its peers locally in the mean time, Mr. Hattori affirmed. Upon its announcement, the Japanese company sold 284,000 vehicles in China from January to June, as many as those sold in the comparable period of 2008.

The reason why the Japanese -- represented by Toyota -- get now startled by the sound of every fart coming from China is that they don't have that much faith in the USA recovering.

In fact, China has incontestably become Toyota Motor's most important market, said Mr. Hattori, stressing that the company's new president Akio Toyoda visited China this June, his first abroad visit since taking office.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

China is now America's own car companies like Ford and GM's favorite market as well.. they sell many more cars there than America.

Just goes to show how fast the Chinese middle class is expanding.. 2 billion potential wal-mart shoppers. Makes America look like... A suburb of Shanghai. Not the nice neighborhoods either, the dirty one that no one goes to anymore for fear of being robbed of your money.

new topics

top topics

<< 483  484  485    487  488  489 >>

join