It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 484
<< 481  482  483    485  486  487 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Peter Schiff: OIL is going well above $200

Is the Bank of Montreal (Canada’s 4th Largest Bank) About to Crash?

This news is very concerning to me since it's right at home... a bunch of my family have their money in that bank... and if this bank fails... we are screwed.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Oh my, oh my, the markets are going to take a hit today, already futures went down this morning due to jobless claims.

But I think that the bad news yesterday and more bad news about the with the swiss bank is going to play a role on this.

US is going after other banks oversea they already told so.

I guess our government is scrapping cash anywhere they can because they are desperate.

The question is why now because desperation.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hey that is a too big to fail bank don't worry they will get bail out, remember that is the new trend now a days.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I love the head line news, *Surprised* *Unexpected*, incredible.

Jobless Claims Show *Surprise* Gain Amid Fears on Economy

The number of U.S. workers filing new claims for jobless benefits unexpectedly rose last week, a government report showed Thursday, fanning worries of an anemic recovery from the worst recession in 70 years.

Initial claims for state unemployment insurance benefits rose 15,000 to a seasonally adjusted 576,000 in the week ended Aug. 15 from 561,000 the prior week, the Labor Department said.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
More Banks to Fail, and That's Good: Ex-FDIC Chief

www.cnbc.com...

Sears Posts Loss, Badly Misses Forecasts

www.cnbc.com...

Heinz Profit Falls, Hurt by Stronger Dollar

www.cnbc.com...

Amid the loses spam is booming!!!!!!

Hormel Profit Tops Wall Street Views on Strong Sales

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Gotta love this part at least...finally... :shk:

Jobless claims in surprise rise
money.cnn.com...

~
The initial claims number identifies those filing for their first week of unemployment benefits. Continuing claims reflect people filing each week after their initial claim until the end of their standard benefits, which usually last 26 weeks. The figures do not include those who have moved to state or federal extensions, nor people whose benefits have expired.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Sears misses forecast and is down 12.3% after hours.

The markets haven't blinked much at the bad initial claims. I know they would be rallying if they were better than expected.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

We have a Sears and 2 K-Marts here...

Most days there are more employee cars in the lot than customers...

And that ain't saying a lot...

2 acres of empty lot...no need to even top coat most of it anymore...just let it revert to dirt and weeds...will save on demolition costs in the near future... :shk:

But hey...we're green!!! You just can't keep a retarded Zombie down!!!

Just think if we got really really good news!!! To da Moon Norton!!!

Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,311.50 9:45am ET Up 32.34 (0.35%)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 1,001.82 9:45am ET Up 5.36 (0.54%)

[edit on 8/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

More Banks to Fail, and That's Good: Ex-FDIC Chief

That would only be good if it would be the scum who started this mess that would fail.

Names: JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs X10000, AIG, Citigroup and Bank Of America.

Until those bank fails, nothing will change. And of course, the FED.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The Fed is #1 on my list of banks to fail...

If not for them none of this would of gotten this bad...

You just can't pick a random number...say 2% as a target for continued growth YoY / inflation and not expect it to implode at some point...

It gets to the point where the population is over saturated with goods and currency is so debased it's unsustainable...IMHO...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Yes but thanks to our for the Goldmen Sach ruled congress we the tax payer are their milking cow for every time they are losing their money.

That is what the bailout is the way for the financial to big to fail cover their corruption at our expenses.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Money managers are optimistic

Nearly three-quarters of global money managers are optimistic about the economy, according to a survey by Bank of America-Merrill Lynch. In fact, the majority of respondents believe the world economy will firm up in the next 12 months, the highest reading since November 2003.

Confidence about corporate health is at the highest since January 2004, the survey showed.

The report surveyed 204 fund managers who manage a total of $554 billion.

Listen to the pros. This is your one time opportunity to make an investment of a life time. When the Dow hits 20k you will be sorry that you were ever looking at those initial jobless claims. Go and deposit your $$$ with the pros and let them drive your future to the financial independence.

Confidence is high.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

Confidence is high.

Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,313.70 10:40am ET Up 34.54 (0.37%)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 1,004.11 10:40am ET Up 7.65 (0.77%)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
On the natural gas front.

Inventory numbers came in at +52bcf as opposed to an expected +60bcf. This send natural gas futures lower. The spot price now stands at 3.04 currently against 72.5 oil, meaning that the ration of oil:NG stands at 24, which is historic highs.

I am really perplexed on why natural gas, at these low supply injection numbers, actually went down rather than up. That rarely happens with natural gas. Especially at these low prices. Yet oil is up again even when the dollar is trading higher. Hmmm....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

My friend, what do you expect from the mouths of the same people that caused the financial crisis.

From the people that make a fortune from others peoples money, what can you expect but good news in order to keep the money gravy train steady from those out there that trust this corrupted self proclaim gurus.

You want to trust somebody with a view of the future, trust those that has been around longer that many of this still wet behind the ears market experts.

Guess what, the old timers knows that everything is not what it seems.

Good luck with the predictions.

After all this time around the rebound is taking longer and an unexpected downturn than in previous times after the big depression, but hey with all the money dumped into the global economy to keep it alive I expect no less.

History never fails.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Perhaps because back in June the OPEC was asking speculators to help them reach the goal of 200 dollars oil barrel by the end of the year.

Well it seems that while the help is not working as fast as expected is working nerveless.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
Confidence is high.

The Bernakanator agrees, confidence is high.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

He, he now at this minute he is been prop in CNBC as the man that saved the world.

Please give me a bag I think I am about to puke.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
And who didn't see this coming... :shk: ...all Hail Commissar Obama!!!

Obama May Tap Auto Chief *Czar* Bloom to Craft Manufacturing Policy
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 20 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration may elevate Ron Bloom, head of the government’s auto task force, to a job that would set U.S. manufacturing policy more broadly, people familiar with the matter said.

Bloom, a former United Steelworkers union adviser and Lazard Ltd. investment banker, helped guide General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLC through bankruptcy as part of the government’s rescue of the auto industry. The task force will continue, and it hasn’t been decided whether Bloom will remain its leader while taking on the new role, the people said.

The move may alleviate criticism from Democratic allies that the administration spent billions of dollars to prop up investment banks and did little to aid average Americans. Manufacturing employment in the U.S. has fallen to 11.8 million workers, the lowest level since 1941. The White House expects the unemployment rate overall to rise above 10 percent.

“A fork in the road was taken that emphasized the resuscitation of Wall Street rather than the resuscitation of Main Street,” said Leo Hindery Jr., an investor in media companies and former chief executive of AT&T Broadband. Jobs “need to be the product of a policy” and Bloom is “very cognizant of these issues,” he said.

Pension Plans’ Private-Equity Cash Depleted as Profits Shrink
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 20 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. pension funds contributed to the record $1.2 trillion that private-equity firms raised this decade. Three of the biggest investors, state pensions in California, Oregon and Washington, plunked down at least $53.8 billion. So far, they only have dwindling paper profits and a lot less cash to show the millions of policemen, teachers and other civil servants in their retirement plans.

The California Public Employees’ Retirement System, the Washington State Investment Board and the Oregon Public Employees’ Retirement Fund -- among the few pension managers to disclose details of their investments -- had recouped just $22.1 billion in cash by the end of 2008 from buyout funds started since 2000, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That amounts to a shortfall of 59 percent. In total, they haven’t reaped a paper gain from funds formed in the past seven years.

The wisdom of those investment decisions hangs on the remaining value private-equity firms assign to companies they snapped up in 2006 and 2007, during the peak of the buyout boom. For the California, Oregon and Washington plans, that figure totaled $15.8 billion at the beginning of the year.

While some investors say they’re confident the private- equity industry’s traditional practice of taking over companies will pay off, others have been shaken by a credit contraction that froze deal-making, eroded the value of the assets on private-equity firms’ books and prevented them from cashing out in public share sales.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
AIG

There you all go people, save for your retirement...........

52 week range

Low - 6.60 H - 493.60 Current - 33.76

Seriously though, Heavy trading on AIG front with +7.

top topics

<< 481  482  483    485  486  487 >>

join