It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 480
<< 477  478  479    481  482  483 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Cargill's Profit Falls 69% as Recession Reduces Demand for Crop Fertilizer
www.bloomberg.com...

Home Depot's Second-Quarter Profit Falls Less Than Estimated; Sales Drop
www.bloomberg.com...

And here's the reason... :shk:

Cost cuts help Home Depot beat estimates
www.reuters.com...

...I don't see how this helps down the road...where will profits come from when they're down to 5 staff per a half empty store?

Goldman Sachs's Cohen Says Recession Is Ending, `Economy Is on the Mend'
www.bloomberg.com...

Taking Wall Street Advice in Biggest Rally Since 1937 Means You Owe $6,000
www.bloomberg.com...

Hmmm...now...which is it? I'll go with the owe...
...and how is it we try to skip 1930-1936 this time??? Time compression theory? Faster than Light Travel???

Producer Prices in U.S. Decline More Than Forecast as Energy Costs Recede
www.bloomberg.com...

Oh...this must be why my Little Debbie snack cake is now +$0.25 for 1/4 less today... :shk:

And here's the "Tout TV" *Spin* on back to school sales... :shk: ...what World do these people live on?

Big part of U.S. back-to-school sales still ahead: NRF
www.reuters.com...

US STOCKS SNAPSHOT-Wall Street gains with help from retailers
www.reuters.com...

[edit on 8/18/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

Also Housing starts unexpectedly drop in July.

You do know if the headline said they rose, we would be up 4% right now? But since we dropped, we are only UP .5%

But this is very weak right now IMO, I think we can end slightly down.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

How can an economy recovers without businesses or industries making profits?

The only way they are looking "Better than expected" and not a "bad as expected" is because the extraordinary measures" that they are undertaking to keep afloat.

From cost cuts, lower inventories and less staff yes they will have to do anything they can to keep alive until better days ahead.

Then again how can better days will be ahead if consumers are not pocketing the money to do what they do best, spending.

In an economy that depends mostly on consumer spending to survive is not light at the end of the tunnel as long as businesses keep cutting jobs to survive, without jobs consumers can not spend.

Without consumer spending is not going to be profits not matter how much business keep cutting to survive.

vicious cycle.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

No I agree. But the thing is, consumers ARE spending marg. They just aren't spending as much as they did before which caused a huge leveraging up in business and asset classes in which that growth depended on a decent INCREASE in consumer spending for the bubble to not collapse. So the decrease, totally collapsed the extreme leverage depending on vast credit expansion, debt expansion and consumer demand. The reality is, the supply needs to meet the demand (simple economics). The demand is still there, the curve just shifted lower, while the government and businesses are trying to keep the supply higher hoping that the demand curve will shift higher. And it won't. So that means asset classes must come down further in price, businesses need to go out of business, etc. CNBC was talking about a 'consumer-less' recovery. What a ridiculous notion. The government cannot replace the consumer, even if they'd really like to.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Occurs we are spending is part of our survival, like you said demand is there but not for trivialities but necessities.

But our economy needs that trivial spending that is what boosted developing countries, that is what is not going on right now, that is why inventories are low.

But still you are right, we need to spend regardless is just not the way we use too.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
And the stealing won't end until at least June 30, 2010...

Fed Extends TALF for Commercial Real Estate

Propping up the market until the end times?

What the hell is China doing?
China is Again Buying Long-Term U.S. Treasuries . . . Does That Mean China is Betting on Deflation?

China’s holdings of notes and bonds climbed $26.6 billion in June to $617.7 billion, a 4.5 percent increase, while bill holdings fell 25 percent to $158.7 billion, the Treasury’s data showed.

Anyway this whole thing would mean that China believes the US will go into deflation?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

IF, and that's a big if, these numbers are true, then China is doing due diligence. They are purchasing commodities and resources at break neck speed, but 2 Trillion is kinda hard to spend. So they are propping the value only as much as necessary to keep some confidence while they try to put together larger deals to dump more reserves. To do otherwise would be shooting themselves in the foot at this point.

The race is on to see how fast they can purchase resources versus how fast their dollar holdings are being devalued by the Fed. Watch for geo-political tensions to increase as we reach the finish line.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That is not all what China is buying now they are into the real state business

They are buying mortgages US mortgages packages, I thought that those packages were the ones that cause the housing collapse and Took China littler secret out into the open.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
OMG!!!

The Ticker Guy is mad as hell and isn't going to take it anymore!!!

This is one of his best rants ever IMHO!!!

Will It All Come Tumbling Down?
market-ticker.org...

Whooo...he da man!!!

I just had to do a seperate thread on it!!!

Will It All Come Tumbling Down? A 5 Star Rant!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Occurs we are spending is part of our survival, like you said demand is there but not for trivialities but necessities.

But our economy needs that trivial spending that is what boosted developing countries, that is what is not going on right now, that is why inventories are low.

But still you are right, we need to spend regardless is just not the way we use too.

Wanna know why we are in this mess? The consumer is not consuming. I mean, c'mon! I'll give you 0% interest* for the next year if you get rid of the 60Hz LCD and buy a new 120Hz LCD. Then after 6 months, I will give you another 0% loan* to get rid of the 120Hz LCD for a 240Hz LCD. (You really need it if you want to see everything on reality tee vee ya know!)

* Loans adjust to 29.99% APR after 1 year.

This all reminds me of a friend of mine who wanted to finance a Dell computer at the promotional o% for one year deal they were doing awhile back. He called, applied for the financing, and got declined. He was upset and was asking me why he would be declined when he had excellent credit. I had to explain to him that the problem is that he had excellent credit and it was very likely that he would be able to pay the loan off before the 1yr and that means they cannot make money on it. If he were delinquent and a big risk then he would be good to go.

His head spun around for a little bit but he started seeing the light last year.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by nydsdan]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think it is worth noting that today, volume is DASTARDLY. It is literally around half of what it usually is. Meaning it is probably just computers. And oil is up 3.5% on NOTHING

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Southern California Home Prices Dropped 23% Last Month Amid Foreclosures

Aug. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Southern California house and condominium prices fell 23 percent in July from a year earlier as foreclosures dominated sales, MDA DataQuick said.

The median price dropped to $268,000 from $348,000 a year earlier, the San Diego-based research company said today in a statement. The number of homes sold increased almost 19 percent from a year earlier to 24,104 for Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, Ventura, San Bernardino and Orange counties.

“There’s still quite a bit of distress out there,” John Walsh, Dataquick’s president, said in a statement. “Even if we are at or near bottom, history suggests we could bounce along that bottom for quite a while.”

Florida's First Population Drop Since '46 Hits Budget Amid Housing Decline
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

BUT..... they just announced GM will not be laying off 1,300+ workers .. in fact, they are sending them back to the assembly lines to build 60,000 brand new cars!!!!

The article will go on to praise Obama and Cash for Clunkers for puting auto workers back to work!

(they will of course forget to mention it was a delay in lay offs, the 60k cars are expected to be finished by November, and the factory is set to shut down for a minimum of two years. Not to mention the US single handedly crippled the auto market by getting everyone to buy all at once in a 3 month time span. f**tards.)

Aside from that the only "positive" news was that Home Depot wasn't "too negative" which is "positive" even though it's still a "negative" number, it could have been "more negative" so it's obviously "better than expected" which is there way of saying "Hey, when you gunna put your money in the market?!"

I just need to know if it's for real.. I don't want to throw a "The Recession Has ENDED!" party before its over.....

S'pose I could convert it to "The Recession is Better Than Expected!" party.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

This would make a nice transition day if the markets cooperate overseas. staying long overnight you could wake up 5 percent poorer or 5 percent richer when the market opens in the morning. If that's not gambling I don't know what is. Would have been a little more bullish if the Dow had done its usual price ramp at the end instead of the 25 point drop. I wonder when that money that left the market yesterday will come back?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

“There’s no basic foundation for the run-up we’ve had, been far too rapid," Dan Deighan, founder of Deighan Financial Advisors, told CNBC. He predicts we're going to see a 25 to 50 percent drop in the market — and it's going to be fast.

The Dow curve is horizontal -- that's not a harbinger of any liposuction, is it?

I'm gonna have a field day with those bums like Deighan, the founder of Deighan Financial Advisors. Don't ever rely on any opinion other than yours. And if you can't do it, stay away from the market. The "advisors" are just sucking money from dumb asses who inherited cash and don't know how to invest it. That's all what's to it.

"There is no basic foundatioooooooon . . ."
Where you been, dude?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Woopidoo, that means the thousand and some workers will have money to burn for Japan and Chinese trinkets and crap this holidays.

But occurs they will save it for a rainy day after they lose their job for two years.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Yesterday: Consumers are not spending. Just highlight it; make a big deal out of it.

Today: What consumers? Oh, those consumers! Aah, they're okay; they are spending again.

I hope that you are right about it. We care about consumers, don't we, Mr. Goldman?

We sure do.

(Hey, Gold. Lemme ask you somethin'. How much did you make on that consumer news.
)

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

LOL.. if they are smart peoples they would use the extra two months of employment to find a new job.

Except, I believe GM is paying half their salary while the factories are idled, and the Feds offered the other half through Unemployment..

Wish I worked for GM..

Commies get all the money, how ironic.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Something happened today that was weird. Hewlett Packard came out with earnings AH and CNBC was praising it and pumping the stock market as they usually do, and HPQ popped around 2.5% around 5 minutes after the news. Now it is DOWN 2%. It really should be down considering sales is down around 20% yet the stock is near its 52 week high. This is just one of the many stories there are out there with stocks near the 52-week high with sales not meeting the top line and probably won't for the rest of the year.

new topics

top topics

<< 477  478  479    481  482  483 >>

join