It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 470
<< 467  468  469    471  472  473 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Now...why is Oil and Gold falling WITH the $ ?

Me smells something rotten on da "Street" :shk:

Change
-0.44 -0.55%

Gold $953.00

Oil $70.25

Now the Markets are falling from small + to bigger -...WTH?

[edit on 8/13/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Both the FTSE & the DJIA are going up & down like a yoyo. Maybe just a technical glitch. Or maybe time to open some popcorn.

[edit:]

Rather than post the indices, it's probably more interesting to look at all of them at once:

Market graphs

[edit on 13/8/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I knew today was not going to be very green with the foreclosures and retail numbers.

Is so much that can be sugar coated before reality hits the fan, or BS hit the fan.

But that is ok, tomorrow the cheerleaders will come and reassure all of us that is the end of the recession and the economy is bottoming out (how much we don't know yet)
but is bottoming out if we indeed have a bottom after all.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
TARP SURPLUS MAY GO TO STOP BUILDING FORECLOSURES
www.nypost.com...

AIG Consumer Lender Cuts 900 Jobs as Losses Mount (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- American International Group Inc.’s money-losing consumer lender slashed 900 jobs in the first half of the year as revenue plunged amid the recession.

American General Finance Corp. also closed 145 branches, the Evansville, Indiana-based lender said today in its quarterly report to regulators. The cuts represent about 11 percent of the 7,900 employees American General had as of Dec. 31, according to a separate regulatory filing. The company has about 1,400 branches according to its Web site.

The consumer unit scaled back lending and securitized receivables after losing access to usual funding sources. American General recorded a $1.3 billion net loss last year tied to subprime mortgages and was cut to the lowest investment grade by Moody’s Investors Service last month.

“We may implement further measures to preserve our liquidity and capital,” including securitizing loans and shutting more branches, American General said in the filing. “The exact nature and magnitude of any additional measures will be driven by prevailing market conditions.”

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Meanwhile @ the DXY......OUCH

Support @ 77.5, if it breaks, lookout below...

[edit on 13-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Get yer Orville Redenbocker ready for tomorrow... :shk:

UPDATE 1-Bank of America sues Colonial for $1 bln in loans, cash
www.reuters.com...

Aug 13 (Reuters) - Bank of America Corp (BAC.N) sued Colonial BancGroup Inc (CNB.N) for more than $1 billion in loans and cash, and urged a federal court to order the struggling lender not to sell certain assets, pushing the company into further trouble.

Bank of America, which was the collateral agent for certain loans of Ocala Funding LLC, said Colonial refused to return more than $1 billion of loans and cash which it held as a custodian, agent and bailee. Ocala Funding was a commercial paper vehicle sponsored by Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp (TBW).

TBW, the 12th-largest U.S. mortgage lender, has shut down its mortgage lending operations and lawyers for the firm said on Aug. 11 that a "bankruptcy filing is imminent."

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Oh my, the "end" is nigh...

Guitar legend Les Paul dies at age 94 (AP) – 7 minutes ago WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94. According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side. As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the "tracks" in the finished recording.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
All Hail Octavia....

Great vid from ONN posted on Zero Hedge....

Hey, it could happen....

All Hail Octavia!!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Things works on the word alone, so these are the influences for tomorrow the MSM guys see it:

Thursday's market will be dominated by three events:

•Earnings from Wal-Mart Stores (WMT), due before the open. Wal-Mart was up 1.5% to $50.51 today and climbed an additional 0.5% to $50.77 after hours.
•The weekly report on unemployment claims from the Labor Department.
•The July report on foreclosures from RealtyTrac.

So let's take a look at those "dominators" . . .

Wal-Mart [WMT 51.60 1.09 (+2.16%) ] reported a flat profit, as the strong dollar hurt the value of international sales and stimulus checks last year made for tough year-over-year comparisons, but still topped expectations.

Business inventories dropped 1.1 percent to a seasonally adjusted $1.35 trillion, helped by a 0.9-percent increase in sales. The inventory-to-sales ratio fell to 1.38 from 1.41. But jobless claims rose unexpectedly by 4,000 to 558,000.

The third dominator -- foreclosures -- seems to be a matter of dubious character.

Foreclosures Don't Matter in Housing Recovery

www.cnbc.com...

As a matter of fact, nothing really matters: all these figures don't represent anything, but number playing; they all contradict themselves. All the data and all the statements contradict themselves. Yesterday, the Fed said that its rescue mission is coming to a close. Upon hearing that, the market fed its face not knowing what was really meant.

Investors have been juggling a mixed bag of news all morning: Wal-Mart beat earnings expectations but the other economic data was lousy.

The Fed guys decided to quit, coz they know that they can't save anything. No matter what they do, "the other economic data is lousy."

Comedy . . .

[edit on 8/13/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate

Maybe this will settle the question of which economic school worked the best with this recession...
The US dollar is on the slide...

Wal-Mart [WMT 51.75 1.24 (+2.45%) ] reported a flat profit, as the strong dollar hurt the value of international sales and stimulus checks last year made for tough year-over-year comparisons, but still topped expectations.

Which economic school is the best?
That one which explains why those things on the slide grow stronger. Me myself think that it got something to do with the gravitational pull: the closer to the earth, the stronger the gravity gets. It's the field of gravitonomics that explains why the dollar is strong in relation to Walmart, but weak in relation to anything else and why it must be replaced by the yuan ASAP.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

As a matter of fact, nothing really matters: all these figures don't represent anything, but number playing; they all contradict themselves. All the data and all the statements contradict themselves. Yesterday, the Fed said that its rescue mission is coming to a close. Upon hearing that, the market fed its face not knowing what was really meant.

Investors have been juggling a mixed bag of news all morning: Wal-Mart beat earnings expectations but the other economic data was lousy.

The Fed guys decided to quit, coz they know that they can't save anything. No matter what they do, "the other economic data is lousy."

Comedy . . .

[edit on 8/13/2009 by stander]

Great observation.....What else would you expect from a system that's in its final death throes?

A system wildly thrashing about and hopelessly fighting for life makes perfect sense to me, and is one of the reasons that I don't trade paper anymore...but it sure is fun to watch!!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Me myself think that it got something to do with the gravitational pull: the closer to the earth, the stronger the gravity gets. It's the field of gravitonomics that explains why the dollar is strong in relation to Walmart, but weak in relation to anything else and why it must be replaced by the yuan ASAP.

Interesting, but as you approach the core...gravity strangely must decrease, otherwise the center of the earth would be a black hole

The yuan might indeed be a step closer to hell

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b413dd7b2165.jpg[/atsimg]

We must adjust to the new paradigm . . .

The survival of the fittest . . .

Those pants don't fit . . .

We must go on a diet . . .

I meant there were too big!

Size doesn't matter!

Be quiet, Heather.

Stop calling me "Header."

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hmmmm,
Maybe these guys know what is going on?

The ratio of insider buying to selling transactions is 10 to 136. Total transaction value: Buys: $60.1 million; Sells: $1,146 million. This compares with last week's buys for $13.4 million and sells for $1,042 million. Over $2.1 Billion in insider sales in two weeks.

Full Insider List HERE

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Bank run at Colonial in Huntsville, Alabama? in forum [Rumors]
www.tickerforum.org...
search.twitter.com...

I just love a Parade in August

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Hmmm...

Bank run at Colonial in Huntsville, Alabama? in forum [Rumors]
www.tickerforum.org...
search.twitter.com...

I just love a Parade in August

WOW........I have a good friend in Huntsville who confirmed the report...trying to get her to get some vid footage!!

Could this be the start of Sheila's systematic and regional bank shutdown scenario??

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

HX, you might want to start your own thread on this one

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

Colonial Bank tells SEC financial irregularities found by criminal probe will delay its financial report
August 11, 2009 5:27 PM
blog.al.com...

What a Colonial Bank failure would mean to you
Auburn, Alabama August 13, 2009
www.auburnvillager.com...

Because of guarantees by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., a bank failure is generally a nonevent for customers. We queried FDIC spokesman David Barr about what to expect. He said he couldn't comment on an operating bank, but agreed this round-up was accurate.

• All deposits up to $250,000 per depositor per bank are insured by the FDIC, so there's no reason to withdraw your money. The insurance was raised from $100,000 in 2008 because of the banking crisis.

• Any depositor in an FDIC-insured bank is covered, regardless of citizenship status or country of residence.

• If it is determined that a bank is unable to meets its obligations, either the bank goes into FDIC receivership, becoming federally owned, or the bank is acquired by another, stronger bank in a process known as "purchase and assumption."

• If the bank goes into receivership customers are notified by mail and are usually able to continue using their bankcards and checks during the receivership. The goal of receivership is to increase the institution's value for a future takeover by another bank and to make sure customers still have access to services.
More at Link...

@ RB: Be my guest!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Nah, I'm too lazy
...If I get any video footage, I'll post it here

Edit for update:...Apparently something happened this morning, but not much happening since...she's not sure what it was all about

I have heard rumors of people planning false runs in order to panic the masses into real runs...hmmmm

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

Nah, I'm too lazy
...If I get any video footage, I'll post it here

Me also...plus I already got a ton of dead threads in my "Foot Locker"

This should be interesting to say the least...any other details on the"Run" from yer friend?

They have done Thursday Closings before...

new topics

top topics

<< 467  468  469    471  472  473 >>

join