It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 464
189
<< 461  462  463    465  466  467 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

Nope, I'm sticking to my earlier call....DOW @2500 and S&P @250 by the spring



If I were you I would just short the S&P if you really think it is going to reduce by 60-70% from here within 6 months. But something tells me you won't


As I stated in an earlier post, making paper money in casinos doesn't inspire me... after all, those dollars won't be worth squat anyway....

No, I prefer to invest in tangible assets




[edit on 9-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]




posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter
 


Back in 2002 the rebound from the 2001 low made a bearish double top. This time around the Fed has been overstimulating the economy so the March 2009 low has been followed by a rally with steady rising tops. Now that we apparently have used up our stimulus money we should see a pullback but we are not pulling back from a more bearish double top pattern.

If you are a super bear why this could theoretically turn out to be a bear market rally, but the market would have to step down steadily without pausing very long at any of the resistance points. There is still a steady decline out near the 300 day simple moving average but if the market breaks out above 10,000 then this has to be classified as a bull market rally long term.



posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
At the height of the financial crisis, Mr. Paulson spoke far more often with Mr. Blankfein than any other executive, according to entries in his calendars.


I hope he doesn't make a big scene when they publicly hang him, it would be sooo embarrassing for the rest of his friends at The Firm...



posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
reply to post by RolandBrichter
 


Back in 2002 the rebound from the 2001 low made a bearish double top. This time around the Fed has been overstimulating the economy so the March 2009 low has been followed by a rally with steady rising tops. Now that we apparently have used up our stimulus money we should see a pullback but we are not pulling back from a more bearish double top pattern.

If you are a super bear why this could theoretically turn out to be a bear market rally, but the market would have to step down steadily without pausing very long at any of the resistance points. There is still a steady decline out near the 300 day simple moving average but if the market breaks out above 10,000 then this has to be classified as a bull market rally long term.


Maybe....can't see a bull run here...

Hey...how 'bout this permabear double top?

Loookout belooow....



[edit on 9-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]



posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter
The next 10 weeks should be fun, fun, FUN!!




There is no evidence that the conditions back in 1930s apply to the present condition in economy and finances and the same development is to be expected. Back in 1930's there were no seatbelts, and a car accident would prove fatal in comparison to an accident taking place today. There are differences, and they have to be understood and taken into account . . .










Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done . . .



posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

As I stated in an earlier post, making paper money in casinos doesn't inspire me... after all, those dollars won't be worth squat anyway....

No, I prefer to invest in tangible assets




[edit on 9-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]


That makes absolute no sense. If you know that the markets are going to do something and you don't capitalize on it, then you are an idiot. There is no two ways about it. Making paper money in the stock market (or casinos according to you) is the same as making paper money investing in tangible assets. It is all based on capital inflow and outflow and sentiment and hope for appreciation.



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Over at NIKKEI the winners outnumber the losers 4 to 1. Bloomberg says that it's due to the positive news about the US joblesness easing and Friday market gains in the USA as well. But on Friday, around noon, the Dow showed a sign of a downward movement. Not big, but noticable. If things go south tomorrow around 3pm, something is in the making . . .



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
Over at NIKKEI the winners outnumber the losers 4 to 1. Bloomberg says that it's due to the positive news about the US joblesness easing and Friday market gains in the USA as well. But on Friday, around noon, the Dow showed a sign of a downward movement. Not big, but noticable. If things go south tomorrow around 3pm, something is in the making . . .


Something is in the making? What do you mean by that?



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

As I stated in an earlier post, making paper money in casinos doesn't inspire me... after all, those dollars won't be worth squat anyway....

No, I prefer to invest in tangible assets




[edit on 9-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]


That makes absolute no sense. If you know that the markets are going to do something and you don't capitalize on it, then you are an idiot. There is no two ways about it. Making paper money in the stock market (or casinos according to you) is the same as making paper money investing in tangible assets. It is all based on capital inflow and outflow and sentiment and hope for appreciation.


WRONG

Tangible assets hold their value no matter what the "capital inflow or outflow is"....as long as there is demand, and there always will be for things like gold, silver, food , cigarettes, whiskey, bullets...etc... they are NEVER worth zero.....can't really say the same about stocks and fiat currency now, can you.... and thanks for calling me an idiot...some things mean more to me than money



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander







Our Father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done . . .


I love it!!!

Sure looks familiar.....where have I seen that before???

[edit on 10-8-2009 by RolandBrichter]



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor
 





A lot of people still don't trust this rally...I think that can give this rally much more fuel to continue for another 20%...30%...Until you hear the bears grow horns and become bulls...


I agree. If you aren't in the market right now you didn't recover your losses from last fall.

Did anyone happen to notice that F (Ford Motor Company) has gone up 500% from the lows. At the time Ford didn't accept government bailout, said it could weather the storm, had sufficient cash to cover, etc. Was punished anyway in stock price, and recovered. That really wasn't brain science.

There are thousands of companies out there in the same situation. Good companies with incredibly low P/E ratios who are in the process of recovering their share prices.

Hint: Look for the companies with low P/E and persistent dividends or recovering profits.



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch

I agree. If you aren't in the market right now you didn't recover your losses from last fall.

Did anyone happen to notice that F (Ford Motor Company) has gone up 500% from the lows. At the time Ford didn't accept government bailout, said it could weather the storm, had sufficient cash to cover, etc. Was punished anyway in stock price, and recovered. That really wasn't brain science.

There are thousands of companies out there in the same situation. Good companies with incredibly low P/E ratios who are in the process of recovering their share prices.

Hint: Look for the companies with low P/E and persistent dividends or recovering profits.


If you were never in the market you never had any losses to begin with


It is funny you mentioned Ford and then P/E underneath it. Because Ford has no earnings, only losses. So really, the 500% increase is based on hope. Now the hope may be well placed or it will be another down fall into the abyss with all the rest of the sunken ships in the stock market's ocean. Same with Office Depot (ODP). Consistent negative earnings, poor cash flow yet increased from .50 in March to 5-6 dollars. Should it have increased that much? Probably not. But trades don't have to be with good companies, only investments do



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter
WRONG

Tangible assets hold their value no matter what the "capital inflow or outflow is"....as long as there is demand, and there always will be for things like gold, silver, food , cigarettes, whiskey, bullets...etc... they are NEVER worth zero.....can't really say the same about stocks and fiat currency now, can you.... and thanks for calling me an idiot...some things mean more to me than money


Capital inflow/outflow IS demand. And maybe you are waiting (hoping?) for the time when you can barter goods rather than buy or sell them, but until then, capital determines the supply and demand for those tangible goods. Let me ask you...if I were to give you 10 million dollars for all your tangible goods, would you sell them to me?...



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Fluidity is key.
Be like water.

On the other hand, you can trade a bar of gold for a horse, or two boxes of ammo for a good woman.

Bruce Lee, my financial advisor, is always telling me to be like water.
So I act like water and flow from one place to another.







Are you going to eat that last piece of chicken?



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Shanghai Composite 3,249.76 3:00AM ET Down 10.93 (0.34%)
Hang Seng 20,964.15 3:26AM ET Up 588.78 (2.89%)
Nikkei 225 10,524.26 3:00AM ET Up 112.17 (1.08%)
Taiwan Weighted 6,882.87 1:46AM ET Up 14.22 (0.21%)

Gold $955.23

Oil $70.90

FTSE/CAC/DAX all opening lower...

FTSE 100 4,709.62 3:29AM ET Down 21.94 (0.46%)
FTSE 100 4,701.69 3:37AM ET Down 29.87 (0.63%)
FTSE 100 4,695.38 3:51AM ET Down 36.18 (0.76%)

CAC 40 3,497.83 3:44AM ET Down 23.31 (0.66%)
CAC 40 3,492.05 3:53AM ET Down 29.09 (0.83%)
CAC 40 3,488.82 4:07AM ET Down 32.32 (0.92%)

DAX 5,427.31 3:29AM ET Down 31.65 (0.58%)
DAX 5,418.95 3:37AM ET Down 40.01 (0.73%)
DAX 5,406.44 3:52AM ET Down 52.52 (0.96%)


European stocks fall; banks, commods lower
www.reuters.com...

DJIA FV Futures 9332.07 9306.0 -26.07
S&P FV Futures 1007.88 1004.0 -3.88

Deficit grew by $181 billion in July
thehill.com...


Maguire Properties Warns of Loan Defaults
online.wsj.com...

Creditors to Get Seven Buildings With $1.06 Billion in Debt; Vacancies and Falling Rents Pressure Landlords


[edit on 8/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138
 


Wow you are almost as crazy as stander haha... a bar of gold for one horse? Better be able to win the kentucky derby!

I'm going to go read the 10 different threads about how "conservatives" are ruining ATS.



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Eastern Markets making a move up now...something better than expected?

FTSE 100 4,712.09 4:55AM ET Down 19.47 (0.41%)
CAC 40 3,503.68 5:10AM ET Down 17.46 (0.50%)
DAX 5,421.01 4:55AM ET Down 37.95 (0.70%)

Not much change in US Futures...

DJIA FV Futures 9332.07 9319.0 -13.07
S&P FV Futures 1007.88 1005.5 -2.38

Hmmm...


VIX Signals S&P 500 Swoon as September Approaches (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Options traders are increasing bets that the steepest rally in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index since the 1930s won’t survive September, historically the worst month for U.S. equities.
~
The current reading indicates a 68 percent likelihood the S&P 500 will fluctuate as much as 7.2 percent in the next 30 days, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Fed Focusing on Real-Estate Recession as Bernanke Convenes FOMC
www.bloomberg.com...


China levels new accusations against Rio Tinto
www.cnn.com...

China accuses Rio Tinto of overcharging for iron ore sales
Australian mining company does not comment on new allegations
China last month arrested 4 Rio employees on suspicion of stealing state secrets


Will retailers deliver good news this week?
www.cnn.com...

Reports from big retailers such as Wal-Mart could shape the political mood this week
President Obama arrives in Mexico to discuss H1N1 flu virus, drug violence
On Tuesday, the president will be discussing health care in New Hampshire
Economy back in spotlight at week's end with key reports on sales, inflation


[edit on 8/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
FTSE 100 4,711.50 5:38AM ET Down 20.06 (0.42%)
CAC 40 3,499.95 5:53AM ET Down 21.19 (0.60%)
DAX 5,421.04 5:38AM ET Down 37.92 (0.69%)

DJIA FV Futures 9332.07 9319.0 -13.07
S&P FV Futures 1007.88 1005.4 -2.48

Templeton’s Mobius Says Stocks Face 30% ‘Correction’ This Year
www.bloomberg.com...

Europe's Markets just can't make up their minds... :shk:

FTSE 100 4,706.35 6:53AM ET Down 25.21 (0.53%)
FTSE 100 4,694.99 7:09AM ET Down 36.57 (0.77%)
FTSE 100 4,693.46 8:41AM ET Down 38.10 (0.81%)

CAC 40 3,492.48 7:09AM ET Down 28.66 (0.81%)
CAC 40 3,497.95 7:24AM ET Down 23.19 (0.66%)
CAC 40 3,483.32 8:51AM ET Down 37.82 (1.07%)

DAX 5,420.04 6:54AM ET Down 38.92 (0.71%)
DAX 5,401.59 7:10AM ET Down 57.37 (1.05%)
DAX 5,392.23 8:40AM ET Down 66.73 (1.22%)

DJIA FV Futures 9332.07 9281.0 -51.07
S&P FV Futures 1007.88 1000.8 -7.08

Hmmm...Gold falling...from $953.43 to $942.45 in just over an hour?



INDEX: DXY
78.86
Change
-0.04 -0.05%
Aug 10, 2009 8:51 a.m.

[edit on 8/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The news on the markets,

Second Stimulus Needed to Avoid Lost Decade: Krugman

It seems that another worldwide stimulus is needed to fix what the first didn't do.

www.cnbc.com...

US Banks to Make $38 Billion From Overdraft Fees

Banks gouging at the expenses of the American workers suffering is very profitable.

www.cnbc.com...

US Government Bonds 'Very Problematic': Strategist

I guess Bonds are losing their luster after all.

www.cnbc.com...

[edit on 10-8-2009 by marg6043]



posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Indianapolis
 


Very good article thanks for posting the link, he is right, but just keep watching, people in this nation is getting angry they are finding excuses to fight back, example the health care is the excuse for people to protest politicians, townhall meetings going wild, is bound to get worst, look at the people protesting, many are the elderly and vets.

Times are to become very interesting in this nation, specially for the crocks that has concocted the mess our Nation is in right now.



new topics




 
189
<< 461  462  463    465  466  467 >>

log in

join