It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 455
<< 452  453  454    456  457  458 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

DJIA FV Futures 9238.97 9254.0 15.03 05:53:55 AM

BRIEF-CTC Media Q2 net $30.3 mln, down 38 pct y/y
www.reuters.com...

UPDATE 3-Schroders profits dive but shares rise on flows
www.reuters.com...

Oh you mean like this?

@ P4T: Nice example!!!

[edit on 8/6/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Oh my god, I have never seen a company put so much of.. everything.. into one lameass show hahaha... $120m on the website at that. *sigh* ..

Some companies truly deserve to fail .. good thing they didn't get a bail out.

And Pinky and the Brain .. that would have been a perfect example of the Bush/Cheney white house.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Hank Greenberg Said to Face SEC Lawsuit After Role as AIG Chief
www.bloomberg.com...

Treasuries Fall as Goldman Boosts Forecast, Record Sales Loom
www.bloomberg.com...

Banks still getting sicker
money.cnn.com...

The economy may have turned, but banks will be cleaning up after their lending mistakes for years. Several big banks may already be doomed to fail.

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- The economy may have pulled out of its plunge, but you'd never know by a look at many big banks.

Even after a rousing market rally that spurred new capital into giant institutions such as Wells Fargo (WFC, Fortune 500) and Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), numerous large banks around the country are still struggling with deteriorating finances.

Two dozen banks with at least $5 billion in assets get the lowest one-star rating on Bankrate.com's safety and soundness test, which is based on an assessment of regulatory filings for the quarter ended March 31.

More than half of those banks are ranked "troubled" or worse by research firm Bauer Financial, using the same data. Three of these banks, with a total of $45 billion in assets, have made public statements indicating they could soon collapse.

"There are some big ones in fairly dire straits," said Karen Dorway, director of research at Coral Gables, Fla.-based Bauer. "If you see some of these fail, it could add to the stress on local economies."
More at Link...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
How would you rate President Obama's first 200 days?
Thumbs up 60% 29413
Thumbs down 40% 19339
Total Votes: 48752

Source: CNN homepage.

Obama is my hero. Sometimes I wish it was like the old days, when I just heard what was on the news, nodded, and thought nothing more of it. Truth is a burden.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

All economical system exists only for that purpose

Actually, they never screw up. They just keep enforcing "better" and "more necessary" measures. Theirs is the Muscle World.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

How would you rate President Obama's first 200 days?

I've been trying to figure the guy out myself! He's still an enigma.

Here's a little digging I've been doing lately:

Obama's birthday cake delivery

Obama is superhero in web video

How can an unknown become President & then still be a dark horse after 6 months? The guy overseeing the world's biggest economy is who? I mean no-one has even proved conclusively where he was born.

Did I perhaps enter some parallel time line at some point and re-enter only to find myself inside a marvel comic?

The only evidence I didn't is that I can still access real-time market data from my computer.

Except - oh no - it sounds more like surreal fantasy:

Extra £50 billion pumped into economy

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   

The only time we ever see him doing something Presidential is when he interrupts prime time to smoothly tell us "hey guys.. chill .. everything gunna be ok"

To which the general audience lets out a collective sigh and says things like "he's such a good speaker. and isn't he attractive? And did you see what mrs. Obama was wearing the other day?"

Or else he's pretending to be a "average joe" and doing publicity stunts like playing basket ball or drinking beer with a racist and a cop. I mean, a professor and a racist cop .. or was I right the firs time.

No one knows where he was born.
No one knows what he stands for, aside from the fact that he's apparently "green" in his beliefs.
No one knows his social stances because he only served less than half a term as a Senator.
We know where he went to school at least, top notch Law school .. so we know he's an excellent liar... I mean, orator..
Where does he stand economically? He never showed any aptitude for economics, so someones dictating everything. His health care plan anyways doesn't show much economic sense..

I mean technically.. he has not done anything wrong. And, technically, he has not done anything right.. Technically speaking, he hasn't done anything at all actually.. economic, energy, and health care were all pre-drafted reforms by his supporters. I don't give a man credit for signing his name on a paper he didn't write. good or bad.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Let's hope the guy does a few things to earn a good press sometime in the near future. Then I'd be happy to give the poor guy a break.

Some more news of the UK going down the tube:

UK debt hits record of £799 billion

Don't you just love the way they keep the price tag down with the "99"?

Total outstanding government debt in the UK has risen to a record £799bn, or 56.6% of UK GDP - the highest since records began in 1974.

New borrowing in June was £13bn, almost twice as much as a year ago, the Office for National Statistics said, after the downturn shrank tax receipts.

The figures also reflect the cost of bank bail-outs and higher spending on social security benefits.

One economist described the state of the public finances as "dire".

Don't you just love the subliminals in the way they say " one economist "?

Despite efforts to apply a positive spin, the article finishes with another fact:

Meanwhile, a National Audit Office (NAO) report said that tax receipts fell by 10% in the past year - the biggest fall since 1923.

What was that George Soros said about the UK?

[edit to add:]

Meanwhile, in keeping with the law of inverse financial logic so prevalent in recent months, the FTSE climbs on the back of the dire news emerging about the economy:

4717.44 up 70.31 (1.51%)

Source

[edit on 6/8/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
And the US markets go down and test the bottom of the trading range again.

# US DOLLAR INDEX (DX U9)
# Last: 78.060
# Change: up 0.455

Weak pound

[edit on 6-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

The latest picture on the markets:

DJIA

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aba8aaaf04fd.png[/atsimg]

9242.43 down 38.54 -0.42%

FTSE

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0b6a5e8c917.png[/atsimg]

4678.29 up 31.16 0.67%

Source

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i don't belong to other market forums but i was wondering if someone could brush up with some knowledge...perhaps they are a professional trader or get info from them.

all the excess reserves in the banks balance sheets........ok banks are nearly all insolvent when they mark to market and include all their level 2 and 3 assets and all their off-balance sheet toxic dung bags.....but under the current "rulz" they have all these excess reserves .......some will argue that some of this excess reserves looks so dramatic because the same time the fed started artificially supporting the market with all it's 3 letter alphabet soup Talf's and other gaurantees....banks took the money they were using in these credit markets and in overnite lending activities and put it into excess reserves since the fed was now using a trillon or so of it's own newly created electronic credit to prop up this crap.....beyond this theory ....what i want to ask since it has implications for how high the stock market can go .............is CAN THE BANKS USE THE EXCESS RESERVES TO HIGHLY LEVERAGE THERE QUANT TRADING DESK OPERATIONS (that GS, MS, and JPM use to account for recent record high volume on the NYSE) with the assistance of high frequency's robotic trading programs to have basically unlimited amount of $ to drive the market UP! I mean it seems there is NO COP on wall street and these institutions could use the excess reserves to highly leverage the abilities of their trading desks thru interconnected highly sophisticated trading platforms to just keep the stock prices up ..........for as long as the bond market keeps interest rates low enough (which may be as long as the fed can keep buying the treasury bonds and step up and be a bigger buyer) and when banks use the excess money for more valuable things then lending into the worst consumer enviornement in several decades then the only real inflation becomes confind to the asset classes the banks are using their new found trading leverage to prop up (or prop down at a later time?)........it's like with all this extra $ and super leverage they can basically move the markets when they want......including effecting the dollar .....oil commodity's....etc and keeping them within a range where they can still make profits on the ups and down but possibly keeping things in a range that supports the illusion of economic recovery?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

they can basically move the markets when they want

Until it comes time to start removing the stimulus money from the system. Historically the equity markets have tanked when interest rates start to move up. No sign of that happening in the UK today after they pumped another £50bn of new money into the economy in their programme of quantitative easing the FTSE closed up 43.40.

There was some talk of a Quantitative Easing II for the US a while back but nothing in the news of late.

[edit on 6-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

The stimulus money can no longer be removed. Goldman has already paid back the original bailout funds, after multiplying them several times. This is inflated cash the FED can't touch .. which is concerning.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Bernanke claims the Fed is working on taking the money back out of the economy:

Does anybody believe him, though?

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

AIG's Greenberg pays $15 million to settle SEC charges
www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - American International Group Inc's former Chief Executive Hank Greenberg agreed to pay $15 million to settle regulators' allegations of improper accounting transactions, the Securities and Exchange Commission said on Thursday.

Howard Smith, AIG's former chief financial officer, also agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle SEC charges relating to his and Greenberg's involvement in improper accounting transactions that inflated the insurer's financial results between 2000 and 2005, the SEC said.

Greenberg and Smith, who both left AIG in 2005 amid the accounting scandal, agreed to settle the charges without admitting or denying the SEC's findings.

Hmmm...no one left to fire and no one hiring... :shk:

Weekly jobless claims drop more than expected
But continuing claims for jobless benefits rose by 69,000 to 6.31 million
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Wall St sags as Cisco, telecoms offset jobless data
www.reuters.com...

Sales drop shows U.S. retail pressure continues
www.reuters.com...

Hmmm...no wonder...my bill just keeps going up...

Comcast loses more video subscribers; profits up
www.reuters.com...

Hmmm..."hint"...how reassuring!!!

UPDATE 2-US commercial paper data hint at recovery
www.reuters.com...

Must be the reason for this... :shk:

Goldman Sachs' Cohen says new bull market has begun
www.reuters.com...

UPDATE 2-Blackstone earnings rise, beat estimates
www.reuters.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Bernake says what ever Congress wants to hear. He said just a few weeks ago the economy cannot handle funds being removed yet, and that further bail outs would be needed. Generally when speaking to a Congress critter he uses smaller words and talks a little slower.. like you do to 'special' kids. lots a hand gestures. If only he could use pretty pictures.

Those that see through his BS, well thats when he says stupid comments that buries him in a whole of idiocracy.

Congress Critter: "You say printing money doesn't cause inflation, so what does"

Big Ben: "Uh, well we are not printing money, we are creating bank reserves.. which does not create inflation .. it .. creates money the bank can lend."

Hmm. Lets assume the Central Bank issued $1 trillion in new dollars and flushed them into the economy. Wow, pretty high inflation, right?

Lets assume the Central Bank makes $1 trillion in new Reserve dollars.. the banks can then lend, for every one dollar, a hypothetical 10 dollars can be created and lent out.......

Congress Critter: "Why can't we audit the Fed"

Big Bem: "If the Government knew where we sent tax payer funds.. the public might assume Congress is playing a role in monetary policy...."

In other words. "If you pay attention to the man behind the curtain, the system looses it's effect of awe and power. Just a little bald man (big ben) pulling levers and shouting into a microphone making a pathetic little show into something extraordinary."

--Ironic that while I use OZ as an example, the movie/book was actually a parody of the US going off the Gold Standard. If none of you knew that.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Ok...I'll bite

"There's no place like home" is the metaphor for a return to the Gold Standard...and the Wizard is the Fed...

Who are the 3 Clowns...the Witch and Dorthy?

And don't even get me started on the Monkeys flying out their butts and the Scruffy Dog...

Or is the Witch the Fed?

And what about the Good Witch?

Now this would require some historical digging eh?

Dow Jones Industrial Average 9,260.79 1:30pm ET Down 20.18 (0.22%)

S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 998.77 1:30pm ET Down 3.95 (0.39%)

NASDAQ Composite 1,979.92 1:31pm ET Down 13.13 (0.66%)
NASDAQ Biotechnology 791.50 1:31pm ET Down 15.53 (1.92%)
NASDAQ Transportation 1,793.85 1:31pm ET Down 21.61 (1.19%)

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I haven't seen the Wizard of Oz for many years. But why watch a parody when you can watch the reality show?

Mr B(ean) shoots himself in the foot whenever he is questioned, it seems. He's got so many mirrors up he'll even argue black is white, as he does here with 'increased money supply is non-inflationary'. How he keeps a straight face is anybody's guess.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

To me it appears the only thing being inflated at the moment is Golden Slacks stock price and income ratios...

Must be nice to get yer, "Money for nuttin' and yer 2.3% interest for free"...

Just for using the equivalent of "Free Parking" playing Monopoly...

INDEX: DXY

Change
+0.56 +0.72%

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Pause, we don't know a penny of what really happened back in September/October with all those bailouts.

An eye opener -----> www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 452  453  454    456  457  458 >>

join