It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 444
<< 441  442  443    445  446  447 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Good lord.. I do wonder how long the Government can sustain a deficit this large.. it's kind of interesting to watch. In a surreal sorta way.

reply to post by GreenBicMan

Most of the traded companies no longer around were merged and or bought out in some way or another. Not meaning investment in the companies were wiped out.. in all probability, those bought out benefited. Of course, some are just crappy stocks, like GM, and get shuttered to the corner after being kicked off the World's most prestigious index.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Federal Tax Receipts Lowest since 1932

So where is all the money for all the .gov spending gonna come from?

...then make a left turn. It's going to be right in front of you:
www.treasurydirect.gov...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Maybe..

Like I said I dont know.. I dont argue that a lot prob. got bought out etc. at the same time I remember some stocks I was in a long time ago in NASD and they are about worthless or gone now (buyx,sofo)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

BAC news doesn't even slow it down..

My cpu crashed so I am working on something now even older and can't even access anything so just stuck to looking at the tape on tv

Looks like we might have one of the days where we have the SP500 higher as well as the VIX go up as well (12% chance of this happening historically).. usually signals a bigger move is coming from one way or another

So is your bear flag still there or did it get blown away by bull wind?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

FAILED

Looks like instead I got faked out but I highlighted what looks to be a similar formation..

A stepping stone with a small pullback looming, then another small jump with the correction after that..

That would satisfy the shorts "short term" then it again would take their money going back up a bit then getting more shorts out.. then pulling back when they have hurt the most shorts..

If you remember back about a month ago + I kept getting it wrong (and ALWAYS to the upside I was wrong - meaning I was short and market kept fooling me higher..) - Now after that the market ended up going on a nice correction..

No use in calling tops right now IMO - everyone is on their toes and its going to be a game of getting in and out real quick..

I do like heavy volume though today (seemed like that from what I saw at least in contracts)

**OOPS FORGOT CHART**

[edit on 3-8-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The trend is your friend as they say and I don't see much that could cause a trend reversal in stocks till late next week. Oil is up around $72 a barrel, but that is in the range the G8 leaders were approving at their last meeting.

GBM's bear flag talk concerns me a little, since I thought I was a bear, yet I went long last Friday?

I'm looking at a loose money supply driven rally that is going to correct at some point, but currently we are getting good mid day volume on the up moves with the trend so shorting doesn't sound very profitable.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

no it doesnt..

I thought I had it pegged and bear flag broke esp. with good volume.. so f'k me I guess..

my dad called me to let me know I am worthless as well lol and that his nose hair is more powerful than charting - looks like I am going to have to look in the cow pasture here for more "insight" hahahahaha

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander

I can't test anything, coz all is well above the Previous Close. But if someone asked me to guide DJI to the end of the session, I would do it this way:

Connect the max. point from 9:30 - 11:00 with the min. point from 1:00 - 2:00. This is based on the "bursting the bubble" daytime tactic.

The projection line gets you to 9,240 as an endpoint. This endpoint agrees with the highest volume point so far. So let's see what happens . . .

. . .

The usual presence of the high volume wasn't there at the end of the session indicating that the the big guys were absent or something -- the cashing in just didn't happen. They will do it tomorrow though between 9:30 and 10:00. I will mark the 9,240 sell point.

I can't change the rules, but the two bottom up-slope points are really significant indicators. This time, the two lowest points of the whole session found the end-point.

It would take lots of data to figure out how to apply the bottom points under a variety of circumstances.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
As much as I love you all and enjoy and value your opinions I would like to see a change in this thread.

I have followed this thread since it's inception and continue to do so everyday.

What I miss is the cold hard data. The actual numbers going on in the market at least hourly.

I also miss the gold and other metals reports.

At first this thread filled all my needs and I didn't have to look elsewhere. Now I have to go to another site for the currant stock market numbers and gold prices.

I do not mean to step on any toes but sure do miss the old days of this thread.

Please take no offense to my post. You guy's and gals are way above normal and I enjoy reading all your posts.

Thanks for your help in this situation.
Marilyn

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

So you think there will be a lot of volatility in the next say 2 weeks?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame

What I miss is the cold hard data. The actual numbers going on in the market at least hourly.

I also miss the gold and other metals reports.

Hon, you are just a couple of clicks away from what you need:
www.cnbc.com...

But be advised that the "cold hard data" don't extent to the future, even though the term "Futures" is often mentioned in this particular venue of speculation. And that what the Founding Father of this thread Pause meant: to follow the "cold hard data" to figure when the market crash would take place.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Both the Nasdaq and S&P broke millennial resistance levels today so you would think there would be some follow through buying this week? Seems too easy for investors to just decide that this is the thousand marker so its time to sell.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by fromunclexcommunicate
Both the Nasdaq and S&P broke millennial resistance levels today so you would think there would be some follow through buying this week? Seems too easy for investors to just decide that this is the thousand marker so its time to sell.

It is too easy to think that, but it is also too easy to think that just because the indices broke through resistance we would automatically continue to go up this week.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
OPEC Output Rose a Fourth Month as compliance in cuts diminishes with higher prices

www.bloomberg.com...

Yet oil keeps rising like they aren't producing at all and demand is at an all time high. We all know it is the dollar and that is it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also natural gas rose 9% in some sketchy trading over the futures markets:

September gas prices surged at about 9:04 a.m., rising from $3.749 to $4.162 in one minute before falling back to $3.875 at 9:05 a.m., according to Nymex data. In those two minutes, 6,456 contracts changed hands.

www.bloomberg.com...

The article continues to say that they think short positions were stopped out leading to a melt up. So this was either manipulation or a mistake. The futures price moving from 3.749 to 4.162 in 2 minutes is absolutely ridiculous and crazy.

I;ve even heard some people talk about UNG, the natural gas long etf fund, trying to pop up the price by taking out the massive short positions that hedge funds have on natural gas. So there may be a little war with the bloated etf with retailers and the hedge funds.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And more "Green Shoots"... :shk: ...The KD big 3 related?

Banks Urged to Consider Higher Home-Equity Reserves (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 3 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. banks may need to boost reserves for potential losses on home-equity loans after the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. issued guidance in response to a slump in property prices from their peak in 2006.

The regulator, in a letter today to banks and examiners, urged lenders to consider issues such as whether borrowers’ total housing debt exceeds the value of their properties and whether homeowners’ first mortgages have been reworked when determining allowances for losses on the debt.

Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd and House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank in a letter last month asked regulators to assess whether banks are carrying home-equity lines of credit, or HELOCs, and non- revolving home-equity loans at “potentially inflated values,” hindering efforts to have mortgages modified to stem the soaring foreclosures that have roiled the U.S. economy.

“It was probably triggered by the fact that the FDIC does not like what it is seeing with respect to marks on the HELOC books,” Paul Miller, a bank analyst at FBR Capital Markets in Arlington, Virginia, said in an e-mail today.

A drop in values has left about 22 percent of the nation’s 93 million houses, condos and co-ops with mortgages that exceed the value of the properties as of March 31, Seattle-based real estate data service Zillow.com said in a report May 6. Banks held a record $674 billion of HELOCs and $211 billion of closed- end home-equity debt as of March 31, according to FDIC data.
More at Link...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Also, I think the question that has to be posed is, are these commodities going up because the dollar is decreasing, or is the dollar decreasing because commodities are going up? If there were no speculators buying up these contracts for no reason but to sell them for a profit to the next speculator and they are buying enough oil contracts that would make Saudi Arabia jealous, this would seem like there is a huge amount of demand for oil, thus impact the price of oil by it going up obviously. Now if 1 barrel of oil is priced in dollars, and today it takes more dollars to buy that one barrel than it did yesterday, that devalues the dollar right there. So just the fact that the speculators are driving up prices to kingdom come is harming the dollar, not necessarily the other way around.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I was thinking of playing UNG for a week or so since Natural gas seems to be bottoming out, and the long range weather computer models are starting to show signs of the Cape Verde hurricane season warming up. I looked at the billions of cubic feet of estimated world inventory and there is no shortage by any means. I still think Gas might get a pop in price with the first hurricane though because a lot of people play the gas markets.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

No wonder Geihner is urging the government to start raising taxes to help with the unsustainable deficit.

So the calling for taxes increases on the middle class is not going to land very well with the promises that the present administration was giving to the voters.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Some "Data" for the earlier poster

NZSE 50 3,106.16 8:35PM ET Up 58.31 (1.91%)
All Ordinaries 4,336.00 8:36PM ET Up 65.50 (1.53%)
Nikkei 225 10,478.30 8:36PM ET Up 125.83 (1.22%)
Seoul Composite 1,584.47 8:37PM ET Up 19.49 (1.25%)

Gold $956. 33

Oil $71.32

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

No wonder Geihner is urging the government to start raising taxes to help with the unsustainable deficit.

So the calling for taxes increases on the middle class is not going to land very well with the promises that the present administration was giving to the voters.

Tax receipts are at the lowest levels since 1930's....

So they will raise taxes..

Basically bleeding out those still left to pay......

Which happens to be the Middle Class...

How long will the people stand for it? When will they snap? Where is the breaking point?

You can take peoples dignity. You can take their pride. You can take their freedoms and their liberty, and you can destroy their identity. But damnit.. you don't take away their money! .. What will they preoccupy themselves with now?!

new topics

top topics

<< 441  442  443    445  446  447 >>

join