It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 443
<< 440  441  442    444  445  446 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

BAC news doesn't even slow it down..

My cpu crashed so I am working on something now even older and can't even access anything so just stuck to looking at the tape on tv

Looks like we might have one of the days where we have the SP500 higher as well as the VIX go up as well (12% chance of this happening historically).. usually signals a bigger move is coming from one way or another

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
got it back..

if we hit this top limit and bounce off it lower a bit this could be the new formation..

it broke another wedge earlier that surprised to the upside... so...

I still would be surprised if we finished up more than 5 SP pts today

www.sierrachart.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Unusual development . . .
There is a high volume activity in the middle of the session. This is how the traders draw a rectangle: Take the two highest volume points and connect them. Then you connect these points using vertical lines with the corresponding points on the curve. Then connect these points. The result is a perfect rectangle.

Phew. Fat chance.

Pattern recognition: The road to financial heaven.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

first test to the ascending wedge formation thing'er

www.sierrachart.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
more

edit:

and more here

I figure we can use this as a reference for wedges/triangles like this forming later on

[edit on 3-8-2009 by GreenBicMan]

EDIT:

Updated more with Fib's and possible s/r's

A lot to look at but it is interesting

here

EDIT:

and more

here

EDIT:

Could this be a topping formation right here.. looks like it is running out of steam.. last time I said that though...

here

Someone got whipsawd into buying into that last fakeout bar..

Prob. would have been me lol

*forgot chart*

what i now believe we are in

here

Finally right one time today..

here

And more failure(short term) - someone bought that all up last second today and kept it going this is real time as of 5 mins after mkt close

here

Also think its pretty amazing how we broke underneath this fattest fuschia line and then just rebounded back inside the wedge

Thats dirty trading right there hahahahaha

joe dirte

Notice now we triple tested the top on the 5 min chart (white horiz. line)

here

And this is where we finished at 415 when contracts stop trading for 15

Of course someone bought in one tick higher than the previous 3 tops potentially destorying my triple top theory..

here

This should be good reference on what not to do if you keep getting surprised.. best to sit out as hard as that is sometimes

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Don't you think the markets may be moving up way to fast? Especially considering the "news" the market is supposedly moving on?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
FYI, FBI raiding Colonial Bank

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You are around my age but if you watched the markets like back in 97 or 98 I think it was you would remember waking up in the morning for school and on CNBC curbs were already started in the morning with futures up 250.00 pts like clockwork 3/5 mornings a week on the DOW..

**EDIT** Was referencing "overextended" in the previous paragraph**

I have been saying everything that has been happening look like beginnings of a huge bull run.. so we will always guess too high then perhaps take a sharper than expected "pullback" and usually more violent as well...

We keep forming like bear flags intraday then just breaking them on pretty big volume actually too... so someone is playing a game or someone knows something.. I have no idea..

What I can offer is when it breaks one of these wedges it will fall pretty fast

www.sierrachart.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I can't test anything, coz all is well above the Previous Close. But if someone asked me to guide DJI to the end of the session, I would do it this way:

Connect the max. point from 9:30 - 11:00 with the min. point from 1:00 - 2:00. This is based on the "bursting the bubble" daytime tactic.

The projection line gets you to 9,240 as an endpoint. This endpoint agrees with the highest volume point so far. So let's see what happens . . .

[edit on 8/3/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Yes.. my problem with huge bull runs however is that they usually peak very high and result in a very big fall.

I don't see these 100-200+ a day advances as rational, given the state of the Real Economy.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

I like that call as well..

we might get a replay of friday afternoon.. and that would keep the bear flag intact..

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Yes.. my problem with huge bull runs however is that they usually peak very high and result in a very big fall.

I don't see these 100-200+ a day advances as rational, given the state of the Real Economy.

Just the "herd mentality" kicking in...no thinking required, the result will be the same...huge crash....just a bear market rally to @10,300, then WHAMMO...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

No.. I know you really shouldnt.. thats why pro's want to go up.. but "orderly" buying results in trends.. streaks like that are just based on breakout after breakout technically and I would like to see the volume on days like that..

But really its anyone's guess right now, I am guessing if you polled people after Friday's close on the floor more than 60% got caught with a short position in somethng that made them look stupid..

I would have lost my ass today thats for sure

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

lol.. dude we were going up like hot wild fire sauce in the NAS back then.. its impossible to cap something like that.. but we are def. not in that "mood" yet..

not until you hear 50% of this message board saying we are back in the clear (prob. wont be for a long time lol) then its time to short again lol

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

That is also weird with that volume at 12:00 today...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

True, makes sense. In the end I guess economic matters don't matter, the only thing that does is the trend. Do what you gotta do to make money, you don't need to read the news to make a buck on wall street.

I am not sure if there is any implications to wall street no longer serving the purpose it was intended for.. (long term investments in business).

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Another FYI

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Federal Tax Receipts Lowest since 1932

So where is all the money for all the .gov spending gonna come from?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

China

Ohhhhh wait...

China forgot to show up at the last auction.....

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Bet this makes you feel all warm & fuzzy inside

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The U.S. government is expected to borrow $406 billion in the current quarter, the Treasury Department said Monday. The borrowing estimate is $109 billion less than estimated three months ago. The decrease in the estimate is due to some repayment of bank bailout funds and less investment than expected in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the agency said. For the October-December quarter, the government is expected to borrow $486 billion, the government said. In the three months ending June, the government borrowed a $343 billion. The Treasury will announce on Wednesday the sizes and terms of its quarterly refunding auction

NOT!!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Well, that depends what your "long-term" scenario is.

The survival rate of most companies that are publicly traded prob. are not as long as you actually think.

I dont know the data, but think of it this way.

Since the NYSE has been around in the beginning, how many symbols do you still see?

Maybe ATT (BELL LABS), St. Oil (what is that now?), IBM? (later to the game?), GE, .. from there it gets tough for me at least..

That was really only about 100 years ago, so one investing lifetime is lets say 40 years give or take?

I wonder what the survival rate of any publically listed company is from IPO DATE till delisting?

new topics

top topics

<< 440  441  442    444  445  446 >>

join