It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 428
<< 425  426  427    429  430  431 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Maybe not, I dont know the answer to the price, but historically things have gotten way out of line before (put any commodity in this area)

A world without liquidity wouldn't be a great trade because the prices can jump significatnly in a thin market if there is a large trade.

Be careful what you wish for is all i am saying

The fact is even if the U.S. puts restrictions on futures trading, "they" will just trade in other countries since commodity trading is global.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Japanese Retail Sales Fall more than expected underlying a failure at government stimulus to stimulate Japanese demand:

www.cnbc.com...

-------------------------

Nikkei is up slightly on the news while China is down almost 2% on the news...I guess the Nikkei will be up until it doesn't go up any longer...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Yeah but all the liquidity is in the CME/ICE/CBOT

Thats where most of the trading is done

So we bring all our $$ overseas to trade and build their markets up?

Hmm...

There should be a study put out about the dangers of a non liquid market vs. a liquid market with spec.

I dont know how that would happen, or maybe there is, but even something like the YM you can get hurt on trading 10 contracts at night, so its not even worth it.. would *hate* to see oil jump 1.00 on a block trade..(not saying that who knows what is happening at the current time of course)

[edit on 28-7-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

you should plunge into the NK futures

unlike the USA, that has quite a hefty initial margin

think about the possibilities of staying up 20 hours a day trading for 19.. you would be rich in no time

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
and here is what is up in the sp500 futures if anyone cares

106am est

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Yeah but all the liquidity is in the CME/ICE/CBOT

Thats where most of the trading is done

So we bring all our $$ overseas to trade and build their markets up?

Hmm...

There should be a study put out about the dangers of a non liquid market vs. a liquid market with spec.

I dont know how that would happen, or maybe there is, but even something like the YM you can get hurt on trading 10 contracts at night, so its not even worth it.. would *hate* to see oil jump 1.00 on a block trade..(not saying that who knows what is happening at the current time of course)

[edit on 28-7-2009 by GreenBicMan]

Oil should jump 1$ if someone is demanding a hundred thousand barrels of oil to be delivered in a month...and they really are demanding it...there's no reason Goldman Sachs and the rest of the banks need to order a million barrels of oil pushing the price up 10 dollars/barrel for "liquidity" purposes. Fu*k liquidity.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Well they dont have to demand it thats the thing

They could be hedging against a position they hold, right?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

you should plunge into the NK futures

unlike the USA, that has quite a hefty initial margin

think about the possibilities of staying up 20 hours a day trading for 19.. you would be rich in no time

I'll be rich if I am right...I need to learn more about futures anyway before even thinking of beginning to trade them. Though I am still on the fence on buying some contracts on thurs since my interactive brokers account does have futures trading...dun dun dun. I think you, stander and I are the only ones on this thread anymore. I miss the doom and gloom stories...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Or I guess they could just short the US dollar or something or do a whole bunch of things either way whoever wants to get something accomplished will get it accomplished

We should get the money (US MARKETS) not overseas markets

I guess we will never agree that is fine, but I think my scenarios hold water and are a firm argument.

Think if the spreads in equities instead of a penny or two we up to 8 cents all the sudden? That would be terrible.

Anyways, thats all i gotta say about that.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I dont

Even though they pop up from time to time

They will be prudent of course when the market decides to drop 2% in a day then head for the hills again

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Well they dont have to demand it thats the thing

They could be hedging against a position they hold, right?

Yes, I mean, these products are foremost hedging vehicles (along with options and the rest of the derivatives family). But if Southwest airlines is hedging next month for oil at 60 dollars a barrel...and oil goes to 80...then they take delivery on 60. Traders don't have any intention taking delivery thus creating an artificial demand for the underlying product. Of course if oil goes to 50 dollars a barrel, Southwest won't have oil delivered at 60 dollars/barrel. But their demand for the product is still there and they are going to buy the 100 barrels of oil/(one contract) with or without the contract being worth anything...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

yeah but who will they sell it to when the buyer/seller is demanding 10 dollars a barrel *(x100)* above or below their ask price?

i dont know.. i think there is a lot more to think about then the general media is reporting on

EDIT: and i forgot that i am not talking about this anymore!

[edit on 29-7-2009 by GreenBicMan]

[edit on 29-7-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Or I guess they could just short the US dollar or something or do a whole bunch of things either way whoever wants to get something accomplished will get it accomplished

We should get the money (US MARKETS) not overseas markets

I guess we will never agree that is fine, but I think my scenarios hold water and are a firm argument.

Think if the spreads in equities instead of a penny or two we up to 8 cents all the sudden? That would be terrible.

Anyways, thats all i gotta say about that.

No I understand what you are saying, but I just think having limits on how much you can hold isn't such a bad thing either since futures are so leveraged and can be so manipulated and it affects MANY people who often cannot afford to pay for the perhaps unnecessary speculation bubble. That is all I got to say too

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Durable Goods Orders Drop 2.5%, Most in Five Months
www.cnbc.com...

Durable goods orders plunge by largest amount in five months as aircrafts and autos both drop.

Mortgage Applications Drop as Refi Loses Steam
www.cnbc.com...

The U.S. Mortgage Bankers Association said its seasonally adjusted index of mortgage applications , which includes both purchase and refinance loans, for the week ended July 24 decreased 6.3 percent to 495.4

U.S. FUTURES
www.cnbc.com...

Europe
finance.yahoo.com...

Asia
finance.yahoo.com...

MICEX INDEX 981.28 -20.99 -2.09% 02:37

Chinese markets plunge in late trade, Shanghai Composite down over 7%

twitter.com...

Xinhua: Chinese shares has plummeted amid panic selling as the benchmark Shanghai Composite Index fell 6.86 percent.

Hmmm...~88%-96% drop is pretty good... :shk:

AP: Honda reports 96 percent drop in profit to 7.5 billion yen for fiscal first quarter.

Honda posts surprise profit, raises forecast
www.reuters.com...

TOKYO (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co, Japan's No.2 automaker, posted an 88 percent fall in operating profit as demand slumped, but beat expectations for a loss and lifted its forecast for the year on the back of an improved outlook for its global car sales.

German pharmaceutical group Bayer AG reported on Wednesday that net income fell 7.3% in the second quarter.

Mexico's building materials giant Cemex SAB de CV says its second-quarter net income plunged almost 58 percent.

Sorry GBM...can ya plug the above into yer computer with the Crony & Assoc Bespoke Keyboard and send the market higher tomorrow...
:shk:

Crony & Assoc Bespoke Keyboard Deluxe

Crony & Assoc Bespoke Keyboard Manipulation Compact Special

Crony & Assoc Bespoke Keyboard Super-Borg Model 1

[edit on 7/29/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Bernanke: This may be worse than Great Depression

And the soon to become the economic Czars of Czars has spoken.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I am amazed (well not really THAT much) that the markets are down more because of China ending down 5%, bad retail sales in Japan and horrible durable goods orders. Just crazy.

El-Erian, Co-Executive officer at Pimco said: Markets are on sugar high while the economy is still sleeping.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

El-Erian has been slow to the table this time around.

So has Art C. - but now I even hear he is turning slightly bullish infact

We are rangebound here for a bit it looks like.. no one is giving up ground

You have to remember as well the far east markets have advanced further than ours at this point of the game so far, and dont forget WE lead NOT them lol

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
On a side note my dad says this market will not move till sept.

I am still biding my time until we get our first cross between the SP500 and DJIA

I will adjust my timeframe to "NO TIMEFRAME" for 10,000 (I said earlier end of august) and will wait till I see which one between the SP500 and DJIA get the closest to crossing first..

even though I still see this happening by the end of august lol, I suppose that pits me slightly more bullish than my dad, and I think after listening to his opinion he could be slightly more on track - although he is a more feel player than I am

I really feel again, we are just in a bull market consolidation here and waiting for these spreads to decrease once more (SP500 and DJIA)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Oh, and here is the same chart that I have been displaying (slightly different colors)

I still think the double line is the target

chart

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I really feel again, we are just in a bull market consolidation here and waiting for these spreads to decrease once more (SP500 and DJIA)

I don't really know your definition of what a bull market is, but this isn't one, at least in my view of what a bull market is...A bull market needs something substantial to rally on. Like a new technology (the internet) new policy (switching from communism to capitalism). It can't be based on lines drawn on a graph GBM. That isn't a bull market. A bear market is when there is intense deleveraging, and that isn't done. There is no way we are just going up up and away. Your dad probably believes we are more akin to Japan (where we stay flat for a long time).

Natural gas has tanked today though, the day before inventories. That usually means after 10:30AM tomorrow it will rally (it works like clock work). Whenever Wednesday is up, Thursday tanks NG. Whenever Wednesday is down, Thursday rallies NG. We'll see if that happens tomorrow

new topics

top topics

<< 425  426  427    429  430  431 >>

join