It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 424
<< 421  422  423    425  426  427 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by tiso_us

Well, you need to make a plan.

Do all your homework and save all your results in excel.

What method are you using to buy/sell? Or are you just picking something you are familiar with?

You will find much more volatility in names like AMZN and you will most likely be stopped out or pushed out by shorts and then they will buy your shares back... that is the game in equities like AMZN..

At the same time you were unlucky to get hit like that from them. They historically almost always beat.. so I guess that is lesson learned right there.

A plan, nope, none. I'm trying to figure out the REAL reason why amazon stocks did the way they did, was it because of amazon's stock report which was up 14% in net income or was it because of buying Zappos, but of course it could have been shorts also.

I believe the stocks will climb back up but 'real slowly' come monday.

my question for today would be, how do one 'hold' a stock?, all i got on the slip is limit, stop, stop-limit.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

Its a global party with Asia and Europe making gains alongside the US. My upside target for the UK FTSE was 4555 and it broke that Thursday so I'm at a loss as to what is going on now, probably some kind of feeding zone.

By the way is that LUH by chance lifting a pint in your new photo?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiso_us

reply to post by tiso_us

Well, you need to make a plan.

Do all your homework and save all your results in excel.

What method are you using to buy/sell? Or are you just picking something you are familiar with?

You will find much more volatility in names like AMZN and you will most likely be stopped out or pushed out by shorts and then they will buy your shares back... that is the game in equities like AMZN..

At the same time you were unlucky to get hit like that from them. They historically almost always beat.. so I guess that is lesson learned right there.

A plan, nope, none. I'm trying to figure out the REAL reason why amazon stocks did the way they did, was it because of amazon's stock report which was up 14% in net income or was it because of buying Zappos, but of course it could have been shorts also.

I believe the stocks will climb back up but 'real slowly' come monday.

my question for today would be, how do one 'hold' a stock?, all i got on the slip is limit, stop, stop-limit.

You could sell covered calls and then buy puts with the premium you received from selling the calls to limit your down side (if you think it could remain flat or go down) but it also limits your upside to the strike price you sold it at.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

Ok, well the reason is they came in under the analysts projections.

A lot of times, companies will miss, but still go up because they guide higher for the next quarter.

You will not find out, as the trade was already done almost instantaneously by the big players and now they are searching for new prey.

I have no idea your monetary situation, but if this is something you can handle, by all means hold onto it.

Just dont double up and have your loser become a bigger one..

Also if you have questions or something before you buy just ask here and someone would be glad to give you some insight..

But seriously, have a plan - dont go into anything without one, because you will lose

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This week is huge:

* Monday: New home sales
* Tuesday: July Conference Board Consumer Confidence, S&P/Case-Schiller Home Price Index
* Wednesday: June durable goods orders, Federal Reserve Beige Book, weekly crude inventories
* Thursday: weekly initial jobless claims
* Friday: Advance Q2 GDP, July Chicago PMI

29% of S&P companies are reporting this week.

Also, the Treasury is auctioning 115bn in debt this week.

A lot going on............

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
finance.yahoo.com...

Sen. Schumer wants to curb trading flash orders

Senator Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., has warned the Securities and Exchange Commission that if it does not curb the practice of flash orders, which give traders at large financial firms with high-speed computers a brief advantage over other market participants, he will move to sponsor legislation to limit their use.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

reply to post by tiso_us

Ok, well the reason is they came in under the analysts projections.

A lot of times, companies will miss, but still go up because they guide higher for the next quarter.

You will not find out, as the trade was already done almost instantaneously by the big players and now they are searching for new prey.

I have no idea your monetary situation, but if this is something you can handle, by all means hold onto it.

Just dont double up and have your loser become a bigger one..

Also if you have questions or something before you buy just ask here and someone would be glad to give you some insight..

But seriously, have a plan - dont go into anything without one, because you will lose

Thank you for pointing that out. I just got thru cleaning out my puter due to a virus, but got it cleaned.

What i do with my stocks is this....I keep a base amount, say 50%, nothing is done with that 50%, another 25% is actually used for the actual trade and if i feel as if the stock has reached bottom, i might buy a little more. the last 25% is used for brokers fees and whatnot and this is what gets replenished first. I buy one stock and one stock only and as a beginner that's all i should buy, right!.

At first, when i started, i was something more then -200 in the red, and after a few adjustments, i managed to get it in the green, so i must be doing something right. I guess it just takes time.

You see, that why i like this thread, you guys are awesome!!!!. When i have a stock question, you guys are on it. come monday, i need to see what amazons stocks next move is.

Thank you all for your input, enjoyed it.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I need to see what amazons stocks next move is.

Just remember that more often than not, if you are buy and hold and the market is bullish/stable, you will make your money back. It really isn't necessary to freak out about every little move...Unless you are trading forex, options or futures. Then you lose all your money. But with stocks, the usually recover as long as the overall market isn't crashing.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
www.destination360.com...

However, U.S. consumer confidence waned in late July to the lowest reading since April on growing pessimism about the long-term economic outlook, the Reuters/University of Michigan Surveys of Consumers showed.

images.aad.gov.au...

I really wonder about the shape of Mt. Monday.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
bloomberg.com...

Volume declines the most in 2 decades on the NYSE.

What is even scarier is that almost 50% of that declined volume comes from program/computer trades

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

General Rule of thumb would be risking no more than 2% on any trade.

Example -

If I had 100,000 to start I would never risk more than 2,000 in one direction.

Look at it like that - you dont have to give us the figures, but do it in your mind..

This is a very good rule

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

reply to post by tiso_us

General Rule of thumb would be risking no more than 2% on any trade.

Example -

If I had 100,000 to start I would never risk more than 2,000 in one direction.

Look at it like that - you dont have to give us the figures, but do it in your mind..

This is a very good rule

GBM when you do things you play with futures, which can wipe you out in a second. Trading stocks don't do that, the worse that usually happens is you are down 10% due to bad news (which could wipe you out depending on what thing your futures contract is for). I would say if you have over 20% of your money in a stock...then you need protection. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it as stocks don't expire and aren't highly leveraged (except if you are using margin which is only 2:1 leverage whereas forex is around 100 or 200:1 and futures are even more).

[edit on 26-7-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the reply. You know, I had a dream last night, it was about amazon and i was standing on the floor of the stock exchange and watching the board, everyone was running in panic all around me, i glanced up at the amazon ticker and it had 1 cent, then i woke up sweating, hope that one don't come true. Then, i read a thread predicting the dollar would fall thru on tuesday the 28th of this month i believe. ok, enough of the story telling.

I predict some stocks will rise tomorrow and some will fall
, but seriously, I need to find out about key indicators that would cause a stock to rise and fall, i know about earnings.....

To be honest with you all, i had my finger on the button to sell at 94, with 7 minutes on the clock, should have listen to my gut feeling.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Yeah, actually you can get 500:1 leverage with some discount firms...

I still personally would not risk over 2% no matter what, for me its a rule of money management - I go by the book on this one - although to only risk 2% all the time you would have to have a bankroll to play in the markets, but it is my personal opinion only I suppose that you should have one (and thats why Im not playing lol)

If you are bold @ Tiso - take a look into the ES MINI and paper trade that. See how you do.. thats where the money is (futures contracts) have fun!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Thanks everyone for the reply. You know, I had a dream last night, it was about amazon and i was standing on the floor of the stock exchange and watching the board, everyone was running in panic all around me, i glanced up at the amazon ticker and it had 1 cent, then i woke up sweating, hope that one don't come true. Then, i read a thread predicting the dollar would fall thru on tuesday the 28th of this month i believe. ok, enough of the story telling.

, but seriously, I need to find out about key indicators that would cause a stock to rise and fall, i know about earnings.....

To be honest with you all, i had my finger on the button to sell at 94, with 7 minutes on the clock, should have listen to my gut feeling.

Your last paragraph says a lot

That is the whole reason you either trade with an algorithmic system (mechanical system) or you have sell stop put in place.

I know I already went down your throat with that lol, so I wont again, next time though come on here, and we will help you figure it out.

Remember, do your homework though!!

Key Indicators?

I have like 100 posts on here dealing with technical trading ... In most I have explained it very well.. in some just portions.. if you want to waste some time just look through all my old posts on this thread.. I include a lot of charts -

I don't do it as much anymore because of reasons explained previously

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Since I was talking about it I will include one here...

This is the YM (e-mini dow futures contract)

I gave my usual "caption" on the chart

5 min timescale

YM (dow futures as of 1225 am)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Your last paragraph says a lot

That is the whole reason you either trade with an algorithmic system (mechanical system) or you have sell stop put in place.

I know I already went down your throat with that lol, so I wont again, next time though come on here, and we will help you figure it out.

Remember, do your homework though!!

Key Indicators?

I have like 100 posts on here dealing with technical trading ... In most I have explained it very well.. in some just portions.. if you want to waste some time just look through all my old posts on this thread.. I include a lot of charts -

I don't do it as much anymore because of reasons explained previously

Now that's what i need.....say if i wanted to buy at 75 and 'until it's filled' how do i go about that on the slip....

buy + limit 75.00 + Until filled, or would it be a Stop Limit or Stop?

I have always used the limit. anyways, that ES MINI look vary impressive, I would say though it does look like to me that it will be taking a dip soon, hope i'm wrong though.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

does to me too... well its not good anyways if it just goes up and up in a straight line.. we need some consolidation somewhere to "jump" back off of again..

Since I have posted that, it has declined a few ticks..

Futures contracts are a more thrilling game, but the loss is great as well.. I like the action though (for my automated programs)

sell limit = at or above

sell stop = at or below

buy stop = at or above

buy limit = at or below

I use the words interchangably where I guess I shouldnt.

Limit just means that it will be at your price or better

EDIT:

If you see MARKET ORDER - it is just at the national best bid/offer or whatever the terms they are using now (I am assuming you prob. know that tho)

[edit on 27-7-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

I need to see what amazons stocks next move is.

Just remember that more often than not, if you are buy and hold and the market is bullish/stable, you will make your money back.

The best way to learn how to hold is from the masters . . .

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Sunday that he had to "hold my nose"...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Start just bellow your forehead and then . . . Well, pictures are better then words:
www.acting-man.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Lets see where we go from here..

I like these wedges.. usually we break to the upside when angled lower like this one is..

ES MINI real time 1021am

top topics

<< 421  422  423    425  426  427 >>

join