It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 423
<< 420  421  422    424  425  426 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

World Prepares to Dump the Dollar

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fromunclexcommunicate

I thought you would be on the bandwagon by now my friend.

The DOW will reach 10,000 by end of August I believe quite easily.

Remember, look to the NASDAQ and HANG SENG for guidance.

The SP500 and esp. the DOW have a ways to reach the gains of both the NASDAQ and HANG SENG.

Again, once the 50 EMA and the 200 EMA cross for both the SP500 and the DOW we will see rally's when both of those happen (at separate times) just as we did right now with the NASDAQ.

The DOW 9000 prediction I had going was easy if you believe NASDAQ leads the way here in the USA. We had to test the 50 EMA and we succeeded and the big players I am sure were looking at the same thing I was. It was too perfect.

I have other numbers, but I will not throw them out there yet, as it seems I am always a week "pre-mature" in what has been happening lately.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

It is fun when you win isn't it? lol

But in all seriousness I would not play with stocks like amazon around earnings time. It also sounds like you didn't know when their earnings even came out either, and if you want to be a short term trader you must KNOW EVERYTHING about that stock and what is going on.

It would have been a good lesson for you to actually lose there, but nice win regardless. When you get into trades you have to have an idea or method to what you are doing. Just purchasing things and "not doing your homework" will just result in a kick in the nuts over the longrun and you will get hurt.

Most everyone here that has traded quite a bit has learned their "lesson". Learn from others mistakes is the key lol

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Most everyone here that has traded quite a bit has learned their "lesson". Learn from others mistakes is the key lol

Yup and many of those mistakes have been expensive

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Yes, well they can either take you out completely like myself, or just hurt you pretty bad.

Anyways, point is, if you are not what you would consider professional in the marketplace, just paper trade or start a SIM for approx. 2-5 years IMO before you put a dime in. That will teach you a lot, as well as just losing computer money, because you will lose.. trust me.. especially in this market.

I am not trying to put you down (@ original poster) but you should know what you are stepping into before you risk any capital.

Its really not a farce when they say 90% of all retail lose in the longrun.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Yes, well they can either take you out completely like myself, or just hurt you pretty bad.

Anyways, point is, if you are not what you would consider professional in the marketplace, just paper trade or start a SIM for approx. 2-5 years IMO before you put a dime in. That will teach you a lot, as well as just losing computer money, because you will lose.. trust me.. especially in this market.

I am not trying to put you down (@ original poster) but you should know what you are stepping into before you risk any capital.

Its really not a farce when they say 90% of all retail lose in the longrun.

Well for me I never paper traded, so the mistakes I made, cost me money. And like you said, you will definitely lose money when you trade but the objective is to make more money than you lose...and one of the things you must do is not risk a lot of capital on one thing (and if you do, buy some insurance like puts if going long or calls if shorting!) Even big money buys insurance (hence credit derivatives on risk of credit default). I really lost most of my money by trading things that I wasn't fully adept at yet such as day trading and trading options for premium depreciation (which you can lose loads of money even if you are right). Buying and selling stocks is one of the least risky things out there now...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Yes, less "risky"

But also has a very high implied risk right now.

Either way, sometimes it just comes down to being lucky or not honestly.. it happens..

If you feel like losing money for real is best at first in small amts. that is one thing.. it is another when you lose half your bankroll.. just be "smart" I guess would be the best advice to you

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Yes, less "risky"

But also has a very high implied risk right now.

Either way, sometimes it just comes down to being lucky or not honestly.. it happens..

If you feel like losing money for real is best at first in small amts. that is one thing.. it is another when you lose half your bankroll.. just be "smart" I guess would be the best advice to you

Well like I said, if you have your bankroll in the markets then you need to buy some derivatives. Derivatives are scary when trading them...but they are really great risk management and that is what they are there for. If you are guaranteed a right to sell a stock at 10 dollar per share in 2 months from now and you bought it at 11 dollars per share, then you can just leave it in and not worry about it and know that the most you can lose is 1 dollar/share+fees for the derivatives. I would be reluctant to buy stocks for the very short term (like a week) when the DOW is over 9000 and more people are getting bullish. Just me......

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yes, you seem to be on top of that "angle" quite well.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat I suppose lol... I just rather skin it in another way.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Yeah, this was played on Jon Stewart about 4-5 months ago when all the **** was going down. Cramer was sitting there while he played it too lol...

Of course nothing ever came of it.. I guess actually it was a slightly misquoted conversation as well.. but thats just what I heard.. but I mean I totally believe every word either way because we know it happens constantly so whats the point even

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yep...it's once again FDIC Friday!!! How time fly's when yer havin' fun!!!

It's a Tie at 7...for now!!! :shk:

Failed Bank List
www.fdic.gov...

Security Bank of Jones County Gray GA 8486 July 24, 2009
Security Bank of Houston County Perry GA 27048 July 24, 2009
Security Bank of Bibb County Macon GA 27367 July 24, 2009
Security Bank of North Metro Woodstock GA 57105 July 24, 2009
Security Bank of North Fulton Alpharetta GA 57430 July 24, 2009
Security Bank of Gwinnett County Suwanee GA 57346 July 24, 2009

The FDIC and State Bank and Trust Company entered into a loss-share transaction on approximately $1.7 billion of the six banks' assets.

Waterford Village Bank Williamsville NY 58065 July 24, 2009

Small Fry here $56M

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

...but I mean I totally believe every word either way because we know it happens constantly so whats the point even

The point is that anyone who makes a true living in the market is dependent on the endless supply of "fools" to rip off....keep the masses of retail investers as stupid as possible via shameless propaganda like CNBC and especially Cramer and the money is easy (for the insiders)...Oh, sure, throw the hapless fools a bone now and then to keep them shoveling 20% of their hard (and honestly) earned paychecks into the scam...after all brokerages are playing with taxpayer money, and even if they lose, the taxpayers will be forced to cover their losses again...

The point is, that the markets no longer represent anything close to capitalism...it's crony fascism at its finest....and all the insiders bow before the fickle money god...the rest of humanity be damned...

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Am I alone in thinking this but...I've remarked ALL WEEK that ALL the spikes in the market were at 1PM... Do Goldman Sachs put their market manipulation computer on at 1PM?

Seriously, what the hell?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Here's something Redhatty passed on to me that might help explain the Ga Bank situation... :shk:

hotpads.com

Lender Failures Reach 64 as Georgia Shuts Security Bank’s Units
www.bloomberg.com...

July 24 (Bloomberg) -- Security Bank Corp.’s six Georgia subsidiaries and Waterford Village Bank in New York were seized by regulators, pushing this year’s toll of failed U.S. lenders to 64, the most since 1992.

The six units of Macon-based Security Bank, with total assets of $2.8 billion and deposits of $2.4 billion, were closed by the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. was named receiver, the FDIC said today in a statement. State Bank and Trust Co. of Pinehurst, Georgia, assumed the deposits and agreed to share losses with the FDIC on most of the assets.

“The loss-sharing arrangement is projected to maximize returns on the assets covered by keeping them in the private sector,” the FDIC said. “The agreement also is expected to minimize disruptions for loan customers.”

Bank failures this year have cost the U.S. deposit insurance fund more than $13.5 billion, including $812.6 million from today’s seizures, straining the FDIC reserves amid the steepest recession since the Great Depression. The FDIC has imposed an emergency fee aimed at raising $5.6 billion to replenish the fund, which fell to $13 billion, the lowest since 1993, at the end of the first quarter.

Security Bank, which lost more than $200 million in the past five quarters, mostly on loans to Atlanta builders and developers, said in November that it was seeking to tap the Treasury’s bailout fund. In April, with most of its units operating under a cease-and-desist order, the company withdrew the application.

Capital Infusion

The six banks’ 20 combined offices will open tomorrow as branches of State Bank. To assume the deposits and assets of the failed bank, State Bank received a $300 million capital infusion from a group of 26 investors, led by Joseph Evans, former chief executive officer of Flag Financial Corp. Evans, who was joined by former Flag executives Dan Speight and Kim Childers, will be CEO of State Bank, the company said in a statement.

Waterford Village Bank of Clarence, New York, with $61.4 million in assets and $58 million in deposits, was closed by the state’s Banking Department, and the FDIC was named receiver. Evans Bank of Angola, New York, assumed Waterford’s deposits, and will share losses with the FDIC on $56 million of assets, the agency said. Waterford’s single office will open July 27 as an Evans branch, the FDIC said.

Waterford Village Bank had inadequate capital and management was unable to correct deficiencies bank regulators identified, Richard Neiman, New York bank superintendent, said in a statement on the agency’s Web site. The bank had become “critically undercapitalized,” Neiman said in the statement.

Banks including Pittsburgh-based PNC Financial Services Group Inc. and Winston-Salem, North Carolina-based BB&T Corp. said paying the higher assessment cut into per-share earnings. PNC said the fee trimmed profit 19 cents, and BB&T said the fee reduced earnings by 7 cents.

The FDIC insures deposits at 8,246 institutions with $13.5 trillion in assets. The agency reimburses customers for deposits of as much as $250,000 when a bank fails.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Here's something Redhatty passed on to me that might help explain the Ga Bank situation... :shk:

hotpads.com

Great link, THX!!
second line

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

Well actually there are really no rules when trading afterhours. You would be a fool to play that game, and you should also know what you are stepping into.

The people that play also lay the margin as well.... so dont tell me they do not "think" they know what they are doing.

That should be in the top 5 rules of trading..

But like I have been saying, only about 10% of people make a living doing this, they take the 90% of the money that should have NOT been doing this.

Again, as I say, its just like sports gambling. Fade the public and win 56% of the time and you are a winner in the longrun (if you can get a good deal on the vig lol)

There are people that can move markets with $$ and there are others that can move it as well. Not everyone is on the same page, so everyone does get burnt. No one always wins, but having that kind of $$ does help.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Am I alone in thinking this but...I've remarked ALL WEEK that ALL the spikes in the market were at 1PM... Do Goldman Sachs put their market manipulation computer on at 1PM?

Something kind of weird this week in the patterns for sure. One possibility is that they might be training us like rats so our investing responses will be more predictable. Seriously though a better analysis would probably show that the UK currency players knock off about that time of day..

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
This is a sign of an upturn that will build a max point which overvalues the banks. Then comes the cash time.

With a bit of discipline, "the traders will take it higher."
www.youtube.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d48917efb67e.jpg[/atsimg]

The traders can discipline themselves alright; they are not afraid of heights either. They are not ready yet to falsify the economic indicators, coz they bicker about where the max point should be.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

reply to post by tiso_us

It is fun when you win isn't it? lol

But in all seriousness I would not play with stocks like amazon around earnings time. It also sounds like you didn't know when their earnings even came out either, and if you want to be a short term trader you must KNOW EVERYTHING about that stock and what is going on.

It would have been a good lesson for you to actually lose there, but nice win regardless. When you get into trades you have to have an idea or method to what you are doing. Just purchasing things and "not doing your homework" will just result in a kick in the nuts over the longrun and you will get hurt.

I must say though that when your right your right.

It occurred to me also about the earnings statements but after it happened, and amazon didn't put out the earning statements until after the market closed Thursday, and after market had the ball.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b84add659c26.png[/atsimg]

Amazon - Friday's close. sad isn't it................

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tiso_us

Well, you need to make a plan.

Do all your homework and save all your results in excel.

What method are you using to buy/sell? Or are you just picking something you are familiar with?

You will find much more volatility in names like AMZN and you will most likely be stopped out or pushed out by shorts and then they will buy your shares back... that is the game in equities like AMZN..

At the same time you were unlucky to get hit like that from them. They historically almost always beat.. so I guess that is lesson learned right there.

<< 420  421  422    424  425  426 >>

join