It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 420
<< 417  418  419    421  422  423 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by RolandBrichter
By Spring of 2010 Dow = 2500-3500, S&P= 220-250...hold me to it

I will....

And the fact is, when you are a trader, you don't necessarily trade what you believe, but trade where the markets are going. I am somebody who doesn't feel comfortable taking a side in this market at this level so I would rather just do neutral strategies with options. If you think the S&P is going to 220-250 I don't understand why you wouldn't begin shorting here and just average up or buy leap calls to hedge your position.

I don't have any paper assets anymore...not since the winter of '99-'00...and I've been sober ever since

But it is still fun for me to watch the circus...yes, if I were still in I'd straddle hard here...

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

My dear friend those are numbers that you will never get to see in the media or when the government does their "accountability".

Because it will create a panic response that they will never be able to stop or deal with.

I posted a while back a thread on the bailout and spending real numbers, thanks for that thread that brings the numbers again into the public view, still people doesn't care because as long as is not affecting them directly they just like to live in oblivion.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I don't think it would create a panic response it would create an anger response. One against the government.

They won't ever show the real number because of that, and also because they wouldn't get to pass more government bureaucracy, also it would be the end of their political careers.

All though I really think that is going to happen in 2010, I think e are going to see the incumbents get kicked out. We will see though.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I say BUY...BUY...BUY!!!!

(Hows that GBM ?!?
)

Get all you can before the Fiscal Reports next month and end of Sept...

Get yer shorts cleaned and on the "Cloths Line"

Now tell me Y'all need to be prodded?

We're at all time low's...watch the DBL/TOP/Head/Shoulders...if thet're going to take us...give back... :shk:

[edit on 7/20/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The tides are starting to turn on the loose money policy that has flooded the currency markets. Bernanke is now talking about removing excess liquidity.

Bernanke outlined a number of ways the central bank will be able to prevent the record reserves banks have accumulated from causing money supply and inflation to surge. Officials will use the interest rate on banks’ deposits with the Fed as a principal tool, which they can supplement with other means, including reverse-repurchase agreements and term deposits, he wrote.

The CIT $3 billion rescue is only a short term reprieve from their $ 40 billion debt situation. It will give them a few months to either get bailed out or restructure to form a "good CIT" that could survive after bankruptcy. The real good news is that it will give its loan customers a chance to obtain credit from other sources than CIT (if the customer is financially healthy enough to qualify for a loan at another bank)

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Watch for the unemployment figures to get a boost as 650,000 will run out of unemployment benefits soon.

So hey I bet the government cheerleaders will be using that data to promote better than expected numbers.

After all that is what they are good at, twisting and sugar coating.

By August, 65% of all filers for unemployment insurance will have run out of their standard 26 weeks. And that's just the beginning

That is 65% meaning that the soup kitchens will be full capacity but its going to look great for unemployment numbers.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Current extensions are allowing up to 14 months of Unemployment, well above the original 26 weeks (we can thank Bush for that
) .. CNN ran an article last week about 500k+ from here till Christmas rolling off extensions, not even including 26 week. The people rolling off Unemployment in the next coming months will be those who originally filed last August-December (depending on time worked) .. It will be interesting if extensions are being denied for lack of funds, coupled with those extended rolling off benefits, you could see one million+ roll off in one month.. that's a worse case scenario..

Either way, it's making the climate for Christmas dark indeed for the S&P..

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I can only said that many states are indeed running of unemployment benefits, and as for Christmas last year was wonderful for my husband and me as he got a pay increased amid the recession but this year he will either be unemployed or will get all that pay increase take away.

Still our financial obligations will be the same but with less money or not money at all.

Life in America is just peachy.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Well think of it like this: It will take a bit of the Materialism out of Christmas! The way it should be, I don't need presents (and have no desire to receive any), just family, a nice fire and a good spiced pumpkin ale!

There is always hope that unlike last year credit will not be so tight, and people will consume this way rather than depend on savings or risk maxing a card out.. I remember last year a few credit cards of mine had their credit erased up to how much I owed (I think they tried to get me to go over my new limit or something.. I don't really understand the game) and by all accounts, that was the rule of thumb across the economy, restrict credit. Now it shouldn't be so bad.. so that's good news. Other good news is corporations, after operating nearly two years in the Red will be competing like never before to get customers.. which for us means lots of low prices and good deals.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

In the early days of the downturn, the government extended unemployment benefits beyond the standard 26 weeks to as many as 79 weeks in hopes of giving the jobless a longer lifeline. Officials predicted the economy worsening and businesses further contracting, resulting in fewer jobs for the newly unemployed to find.

With the recession now 18 months deep and the national unemployment rate standing at 9.5%, it appears that the effort wasn't robust enough for those in the crisis' first wave of layoffs.

Several of us have been saying this for several months.. good to see the MSM catching on..

And the kicker, the point I have been stressing...

And while they may have up to another year of unemployment insurance benefits -- thanks to the confusing patchwork of extensions that were enacted last summer -- they will be soon be unaccounted for in government unemployment reports.

So as 4.4 million Americans in the next 6 months are expected to plummet below poverty levels, unemployment by all technical calculations will decrease.

[edit on 7/21/2009 by Rockpuck]

Here is a map that shows the MAX unemployment benefits per each state (assuming every federal extension is granted, which the absolute max is 79 weeks)

money.cnn.com...

[edit on 7/21/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Dow 9000 looks imminent now..

10,000 is looming IMO - the double top - HS was busted as the dow hit a new high

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

What I was referring to there, is that the entire system itself is set up as the global elite's financial playground.

To make money is simple, to make real money however, you have to know someone on the inside.

Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse

I thought this book looked interesting on the topic.

The problem is that the process is set up for people to be able to make money, but with the way the Federal Reserve can be manipulated via Congress to print money, without us being on the gold standard, our fiat money almost makes the entire process a running joke.

If money has no gold or silver, for that matter, to back up it's value, just the word of the Federal Government is what gives that money it's value.

You want to take the Government's word that your dollar is worth anything?

That is a ludicrous prospect if I ever heard one.

We should never have been taken off the gold standard.

At least then, money fluctuated because of a real reason instead of some manipulators say so.

So, the value of your dollar purchasing stock, can go up and down, based on one man's say so, or a group of people?

That's nuts.

That's a corruption of our money system, and makes the dollar as worthless as used toilet paper.

Which is exactly the drive of the Federal Reserve, to intentionally collapse our dollar, so we can be ushered into a one-word monetary system, with one type of money.

How exactly will that affect the stock market?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Dow 9000 looks imminent now..

10,000 is looming IMO - the double top - HS was busted as the dow hit a new high

Yes, indeed......

I see the Riemann hypothesis is about to be solved, unemployment will approach 100%, AND, since most earnings are estimated to be below 0, each company beating their EPS estimates should send the S&P to 100,000.

Red pills, get your red pills here.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
TPTB are trying really hard to make everyone believe that things are back on track. Another "nothing to see here, move along" ploy to trick the sheep.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
More new housing data and it looks grim...
Note this page was slow to load
harts on second quarter foreclosures
What it shows is how the rates of foreclosure are increasing drastically now that the moratorium has been lifted

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
So quite a few big companies reported today after hours.

AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) reported a loss and is down 12% AH
Starbucks (SBUX) reported good earnings and is up 11% AH
Yahoo (YHOO) was mixed and is down 2%

and of course Apple (AAPL) reported good earnings all over and is up about 6% AH.

I also bought the 145 put and 160 call YESTERDAY and both lost value today and I didn't add to them today but tomorrow the calls will go up huge (at least 100% from the last trade) so it will make up for everything. My puts will go down at least 40%.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My thoughts on this market is that it is very sick, and the government is still behind it propping it up. It is going up way too quickly, and on the better than expected but not good earnings. Something has to give eventually.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

The mid day resistance was quite heavy today with the Dow in negative territory much of the day, the opening and closing spikes were nice cosmetics that might keep people that only pay attention to the days highs from selling. It still looks like a government choreographed effort to bridge over a sick economy to me.. Oil is down 80 cents tonight after rallying the last 5 days so maybe we saw the top today in that market.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Wonder if this will put the damper on all the china fueling a recovery talk... :shk: ...just like I said before...they're going to put all their dollars to good use why prices are dirt cheap

China to deploy foreign reserves
July 21 2009 19:09
jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com...

Beijing will use its foreign exchange reserves, the largest in the world, to support and accelerate overseas expansion and acquisitions by Chinese companies, Wen Jiabao, the country’s premier, said in comments published on Tuesday.

“We should hasten the implementation of our ‘going out’ strategy and combine the utilisation of foreign exchange reserves with the ‘going out’ of our enterprises,” he told Chinese diplomats late on Monday.

Mr. Wen said Beijing also wanted Chinese companies to increase its share of global exports.

The “going out” strategy is a slogan for encouraging investment and acquisitions abroad, particularly by big state-owned industrial groups such as PetroChina, Chinalco, China Telecom and Bank of China.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Eesh.. China's new economic plan "While the World is weak.... let's take em over"

"Hostile Take Over" I believe is the Wall Street terminology for such a plan..

new topics

top topics

<< 417  418  419    421  422  423 >>

join