It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 411
<< 408  409  410    412  413  414 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Here is a hedge fund manager who thinks we are going to go down for the rest of July and August. Hey, works for me. It just needs to go down a lot

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Everyone is waiting for GS..

We know how that is going to turn out of course..

That should put the fire under the financials again hopefully for our next leg..

IBM is always strong as well.. they hardly disappoint - should be interesting

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Probably spooked by this.
More 'games' from China.

China Rattles Investors With Detentions of Executives

“It should also be a concern for the Chinese government,” he said. “If foreign businesses feel that the degree of uncertainty is high, it will change the way that foreign businesses around the world approach business in China and approach the placement of executives in China.”

Foreign lawyers here said China’s behavior might also invite retaliation, hurting efforts by Chinese companies to invest abroad. Steve Dickinson, a lawyer for Harris & Moure PLLC, said Sunday in a telephone interview from Qingdao that the Rio Tinto case was likely to slow or stall Chinese corporate expansion plans not only in Australia but perhaps the United States and Europe.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Vajrayana

So, detaining thieves scares away the investors?

My, my...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Here is a hedge fund manager who thinks we are going to go down for the rest of July and August. Hey, works for me. It just needs to go down a lot

www.cnbc.com...

I don't think that the Dow NEEDS to go down to reflect upon some equilibrium between the state of economy and the average price of the share. The daytime trading can go on on any level regardless what kind of shape the economy is in. But the profit taking can be refreshed by creating artificial min/max points on the curve and profits can be taken from "weektime" or even "monthtime" trading. These points cannot be created completely arbitrarily -- there should be some reason behind these adjustments and so there is plenty of words out how to reshape the works. The "hopes of recovery" created the max point in June that has been already cashed. Now, faced with a flat ride, the traders will try to create another "restore point." Given the circumstances with the somber mood in the White House, a quarterly bottom is the way to go even though bottoms are not that profitable as the max points. So there is a chance that the Dow could be really slipping. It all depends on the guys with the largest funds how fast and how deep.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by Vitchilo

Everyone is waiting for GS..

We know how that is going to turn out of course..

That should put the fire under the financials again hopefully for our next leg..

IBM is always strong as well.. they hardly disappoint - should be interesting

I don't think GS will do much for financials tomorrow since everyone has known they will have amazing earnings for about a month now.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
so here's todays first bit of earnings news.

To cut costs the company has cut 11,800 jobs since the second quarter of 2008 and sold off all its shares of Taiwan computer chip maker TSMC
But the headline reads
Philips reports 94 percent fall in 2Q profit

Among Philips' major operations, its health care division showed profit of euro93 million, while lighting showed a loss of euro57 million and consumer products lost euro9 million.

Philips had debt of euro800 million at the end of the quarter but held euro3.6 billion in cash.

source

Not what you'd call good news or helpping in allaying investor fears

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
US worries about our debt buyers in the Middle east because the purchase of debt is slowing?

Geithner to Reassure Gulf Allies on Dollar Assets

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner will seek to reassure Gulf Arab states this week that U.S. dollar assets they hold in large quantities remain a strong investment.

A recent decline in Saudi foreign assets shows the purchase of U.S. Treasurys by Washington's Gulf allies, five having currencies pegged to the dollar, at levels seen in the past decades should no longer be taken for granted.

Geithner, offering assurances on the United States' ability to pull out of recession, is combining a visit to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the Arab world's largest and second-largest economies, with a trip to Europe.

www.cnbc.com...

I guess the Job of the Treasury department is one of the hardest one to do, kissing the butts of those that by our debt.

A lot of butt kissing can be stressful on somebody like Geithner's lips.

I hope he takes boxes of vaseline.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Early this morning the DOW futures were trading at 8060.
The DOW didn't fall on open, it traded up to 8180.
The spread between the real stock and the fake future was incredible!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

DOW was up so was the S&P NASDAQ down..

Commodity Futures are off..
Crude and Gasoline are both down Most of the Agriculture is down Metals are down even gold dropped to 910 an oz from its last week high of 938.

analyst Meredith Whitney advised buying shares of Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and said banks may advance 15 percent. and we do see that happening.. but I don't see why anyone would recommend a buy? I'll be wait to see what the end of the day brings.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

Actually at about 330am EST it was around 8040 - thats why overnight really doesn't mean anything.. they play games until about 845am EST - if you want to lose money, play their game in the morning lol

[edit on 13-7-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

lol we got beat to that one by a surprising meridith w.

hopefully we dont see the buy on the rumor sell news scenarios again this quarter..

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This current run up is just puzzling...
Banks are leading the way but...
The Treasury is poised to become Citigroup’s biggest shareholder in September with a 34 percent stake under a pending preferred-stock conversion.
Analysts forecasting the bank will post a second-quarter operating loss later this week.
Sheila Bair FDIC Chairmen is putting increasing pressure on Citi to stop pouring money into overseas ventures and start making loans here... caling into question that maybe their CEO needs replacing?

then we have CIT begging the FDIC for its very life... they said its demise would put 760 manufacturing clients at risk of failure and “precipitate a crisis” for as many as 300,000 retailers.The FDIC says their too big a risk to tax payer dollars and refused to buy their debt...

What I'm hearing of the banking industry isn't at all good news but their stocks keep climbing????
SOmedays I just don't get the market at all...

[edit on 13-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So the predictions about another global financial crash was not just a fantasy.

EU banks are in trouble again and this time they are going to follow Americas nationalization path to help control the downfall.

So will the US survive without another stimulus by the fall?

FOCUS: EU Governments Seek Power To Take Over Failing Banks

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I guess the fantasy of green shoots has turn into brown spots the fungus of financial meltdown is spreading.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You are hearing "worthless" news.

None of that matters in a non trending technical market.

When you say "I dont get it" - it has to make you think this is what we had to do technically - this should be setting up hopefully, but we need some confirmation - would be nice to see some volume finally start to creep back

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This should be a good testing point to see what kind of momentum we have.

Chart

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Ah but it not worthless news... after Sept Sheila Bair becore a major stake holder and right from the very start has said "No Company is to big to fail"

Once she takes 33% of the Citi she can dictate to the Board what she wants done and one of those is going to be cutting off potential overseas revenue.

Look what her reaction to CIT has been. So sad too bad not my problem... She has offered to help them find a source of revenue to keep going but has her mind set on not giving them another dime!

Day traders might make a buck or two in the next few days but things really dont look good for the long term health of these big banks

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

To dictate you have to have 51% in reality.

Remember, the conversion has not even happened yet.

When this was all going down in the first place, the gov. was supposed to do it in its entirety right away, then turned to weeks, then months etc..

They will not convert all shares right away as well... why would they? They are earning bank off of the preferred.

It is my belief that the conversion will either

a)not happen

b)citi will pay back

c)conversion will be blocked off into small trades

_________

The news that you hear on TV or news, you need to FADE, as it is assumed in the marketplace that all news is priced in bc retail is the last to know.

As we saw the run-up in CITI shares this morning (even though it has gotten battered) everything is prior knowledge - the moves just usually happen at the beg. or end of the day because thats when the pro's come out to play bc retail players usually dont have the gull to open their wallets in the morning or after 350PM

____

All I am saying is the news might be pertainent to you or others, but it was either already known, or to me a non factor because details about the conversion are already with big money etc...

Infact the recent rundown in the stock could have been known by many, and now retail is just seeing this, thats why you have the uptick.. many things to consider beforehand ..

It might not make sense, but it is how it works

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
What I'm hearing of the banking industry isn't at all good news but their stocks keep climbing????
SOmedays I just don't get the market at all...

And when you do it's likely due to the chance. They are BLUFFING each other; they play against each other.

Just wait when the bell rings . . .

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

If you are talking about Citigroup, their most valuable holder (an actually owner) is Saudi Arabian prince Alwaleed bin Talal, he also have financial ties with Fox.

The oversea "ventures" are linked to Kingdom Holding Company which he runs.

One of the first bail out was for the Citigroup to protect Alwaleed bin Talal wealth, it is said that he lost pleanty when Citi almost collapsed last year.

top topics

<< 408  409  410    412  413  414 >>

join