It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 387
<< 384  385  386    388  389  390 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retinoid Receptor
Wait a second...markets are down because people are actually saving. I understand WHY it is, but this just demonstrates that what is good for the markets is usually not good for the common person.
no that's just a case of misdirection. the real reason is U.S. stocks and the dollar dropped after China’s central bank reiterated a call for a “super sovereign currency,”.. that kind of talk makes people nervous ya know

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Mounting Jobless Claims Force States To Borrow Funds

The government checks keeping Candy Czernicki afloat are fast running out. The reason? U.S. states obligated to pay benefits to the swelling ranks of jobless Americans are piling debt onto strained budgets.

Fifteen states have depleted their unemployment insurance funds so far, forcing them to borrow from the U.S. Treasury.

A record 30 of the country's 50 states are expected to have to borrow up to $17 billion by next year, said Rick McHugh of the National Employment Law Project, a nonpartisan advocacy group.

www.cnbc.com...

Well but that is OK Americans are saving, the government is cutting on salaries with their government jobs conversion and America is doing peachy.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

Consumer Confidence Hits Highest Level in Over a Year

I think attempting to measure consumer confidence is moronic. I don't think it works and I think it is highly correlated with the stock market and news. If people keep seeing the DOW ends up green and their local news anchor is saying it is because the recession is over, then people will begin to believe it since most people don't have the time or will power to actually delve deeper into economic trends and market trends.

Also a statistical study on an intangible thing such as "confidence" is bound to have many flaws. But whatever

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Dow Jones Industrial Average 8,411.56 10:54am ET Down 60.84 (0.72%)
S&P 500 INDEX,RTH 914.15 10:54am ET Down 6.11 (0.66%)
NASDAQ Composite 1,824.73 10:55am ET Down 4.81 (0.26%)

FTSE 100 4,236.32 10:41AM ET Down 16.25 (0.38%)
CAC 40 3,122.63 10:56AM ET Down 40.47 (1.28%)
DAX 4,768.39 10:41AM ET Down 32.17 (0.67%)

Gold $940.42

Dresdner withdraws as primary dealer for Fed
Marketwatch

Russell index change shows scope of market bloodshed
Marketwatch

[edit on 6/26/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well I will like to know what sector of the population have that "income jump" because unemployment raises paint a different picture.

The top 5% income earners. Most of the increase is related to trading no doubt, from the market expansion. If you correlate the expansion of income compared to the hundreds of thousands now earning nothing at all.. someone somewhere is making an amazing raise.

Of course... the news services are saying it's due to uh .. Obama's stimulus... but so far I have seen not one tiny itty bitty little piece of information to confirm this. Or hell, to even attempt to confirm this. It just sounded good I suppose.

reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Wait a second...markets are down because people are actually saving. I understand WHY it is, but this just demonstrates that what is good for the markets is usually not good for the common person.

Savings are up, and so is spending. Generally this would be "good" economic news, and would lead to a increase in the Index's. Maybe they finally processed the bad news from yesterday and that's why we are down.

PS. Every one needs to e-mail their congress critters in support of the bill auditing the Fed! I will start writing my e-mail now.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Huh...Japans Citi money laundering news made the stock go up...should of known that DAH :shk:

BTW: I thought I asked about this and don't remember if anyone ever replied...

CONFIRMED: Jeff Macke Is Finished At CNBC
May. 22, 2009
www.businessinsider.com...
www.businessinsider.com...
nymag.com...
Google Search

We still don't know how the events transpired, from Tuesday night's bizarre performance to now, but we've confirmed with a source familiar with Jeff Macke's thinking that the Fast Money guest is done at CNBC.

Obviously his many supporters (see: our comments section) will miss his candor, humor and his unconventional perspective.

Our source denied previous reports that there were contract negotiations going on (stressful or otherwise). It was always his intent to leave when his contract expired in the middle of June, and it's possible he will appear on Fast Money at some point before then.

[edit on 6/26/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well no even Buffet is claiming that Obama's stimulus are helping the economy.

The Fed money printing is helping something is helping the markets but just the markets.

Buffett: U.S. Economy Still in Shambles he doesn't look happy at all, even when I know that he is making money out of the economic mess, but I wonder if he is thinking about the future no that he has much time left.

He also emphasized that, while he has yet to see any so-called “green shoots” in the economy, the recovery efforts could take a long time before they have any tangible impact.

"They're doing things, but they take a while to have an effect," Buffett said. "You can't produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant."

Still, even though the stimulus, TARP and other recovery efforts have yet to yield a significant impact on the economy, Buffett said that he is confident the economy will recover in due time.

“Industrial demand is down like we've never seen it for a simple thing like electricity,” he said. “So it hasn't happened yet. It will happen. I want to emphasize that. But it hasn't happened yet.”

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I believe he is just saying that because he doesn't want to look like a fool for supporting such a numb skull for president.

Only like 5% of the stimulus money has been spent. Most of the stimulus though is a bunch of democrat pet projects that they have been wanting to pass for 40 years.

Of course the stimulus money is going to "help" but it is not going to achieve the purpose that it was sold to us for. It was really passed to help the dem's get re-elected, not to help the economy.

I think Buffet like just about everyone here sees the fire over the horizon and this congress and admin keep trying to push the petal further to the floor to go faster.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I guess the markets will go down if the climate cap and trade bill passes in a few hours... but of course the vote is scheduled for minimum 4PM...

This is so sick. Soon we'll have carbon cops in america treating people like cattle and a little later permits for having children.

Anyway, what's left of the economy will be crushed under the new carbon taxes.

I hope it doesn't pass.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Like I said in your thread, this is going to kill the last industries in this nation that have nothing patriotic to hold on because they are not even American owned.

What a whole bunch of morons we have in congress.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

They were saying earlier that even though it might pass the house, its chances don't look good in passing through the senate.

But yea if this bill makes it to the presidents desk we might as well start building our mud huts because that is where we will all be living.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Oh Marg what are you talking about this is a jobs bill. It is not cap and trade this is going to create millions of "green" jobs.

Uhh, its only funny until you realize they are putting the nails in the coffin.

edit to fix tag.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Yeah, million of Green jobs in the Obama Gestapo to make sure you follow the green rules for now on.

Do not waste to much water, regulate how many baths you take, regulate how much electricity you are entitled too and make sure you get penalized for not recycling.

We need a darn revolution in this nation.

Look what I posted in the previews page about what Obama wants to do with contractors jobs, he wants to change them into government jobs and cut salaries to save money, but at the same time he can claim that jobs are created.

Obama is turning to be a very dangerous man.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

That he is. I don't think your husband want to be employed by the government anymore in his life. I think he has given more than enough of his life to them.

The government is going to collapse. He is trying to build another political infrastructure on top of the one we already have, but there is no money for him to do it, but try as he may.

I doubt people are going to go run to people to replace a failed government I'm sure some will but that is when things will get really really nasty.

He is trying to grow the government in exponential numbers and it isn't going to work. By the time the gov collapses it will be all his and his parties fault. At least I hope so.

I think people will start hitting the street when all this horrible legislation hits them in the pocket. That is when things will get "real".

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Just two more bankruptcy's:

FirstPlus Financial

Brown Steel, LLC.

Corporations are dropping like flies.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Buffet can tell me the Moon is actually covered in purple grass with fairies riding blue unicorns and elves who live in perpetual youth and everyone sh##'s gold bricks and excellence..

But without proof, it's only words isn't it?

No one, not a single god damn individual from any worthy source has provided detailed and exact information as to what jobs were being created precisely from mr. Obama's stimulus. Until there is detailed evidence, as far as I am concerned, the money is being looted as there is no account as to where the money went.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Looks like GE is playing from the Obama playbook.

Wow this is getting bad. Makes you wonder what else is going on behind the scenes.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

A good way to describe the current plan Obama has is this:

You have a business with no customers, so you pay your employees more, and they buy from you. You say hey, people are employed, I'm making money let me hire some more. Eventually you have 5,000 employees and business is booming, as you have 5,000 dedicated customers. Sure, you have more money going out then in, but it all looks good on paper right?

This is no different then the Gov employing our citizens.. they pay them good, and tax them back only a small amount.. but the people are employed, taxes are coming in.. it looks good on paper.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

True.

It's sickening. Such as the Unions might get a pass on their health benefits getting taxed. It all looks good on paper, especially come election time, but in reality the road they are sending us down nobody will be able to buy their cars, so when you see a new GM product going down the road you can almost guarantee it will be a UAW worker.

The part that really gets me is that all this stuff has been tried and it doesn't work. There are numerous examples of it in history, but they pat themselves on the back when they come up with these hairbrained schemes that don't work.

We have to do something, vote some politicians that actually think more than 2 years, 4 years, and 6 years ahead.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

We have to do something, vote some politicians that actually think more than 2 years, 4 years, and 6 years ahead.

How do we honestly do that? Typically for Congress we have two choices.. Dem or Rep .. when ever I have voted there has never been a third party candidate. Anyone who goes up against them has to contend with MONEY.

I would love to run for Congress
the problem of course, is getting money. Money, the life blood of politics.

new topics

top topics

<< 384  385  386    388  389  390 >>

join